• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 52, 2012 (Dec 24 - Dec 30)

More RPGs please! After Bravely Default's success, it's a no brainer!

Really.
Atlus is on board. Level-5 as well. Square Enix should couple Bravely Default with a Final Fantasy remake / Crystal Chronicles since Dragon Quest is already there. Then minor stuffs, like imageepoch, Konami's Suikoden and what else.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Really.
Atlus is on board. Level-5 as well. Square Enix should couple Bravely Default with a Final Fantasy remake / Crystal Chronicles since Dragon Quest is already there. Then minor stuffs, like imageepoch, Konami's Suikoden and what else.

Well, Imageepoch said recently in an interviewthey're doing titles for PS3, Vita and 3DS. But not so much after that piece 7th Dragon 2020-II for PSP got announced. :lol
You said Suikoden? I really, really doubt it unfortunately.

After the success of Fire Emblem: Awakening, I would be surprised if Final Fantasy Tactics A3 wasn't announced fairly soon. That coupled with FE-like DLC, Square could have a money-maker on their hands.

Fredrik

I think it's really stupid if Nintendo saves the big announcements for E3, nobody will care about those games if the system has already bombed, they need to make WiiU interesting to both customers and developers/publishers long before the E3 craziness starts

I think it's really stupid if Nintendo saves the big announcements for E3, nobody will care about those games if the system has already bombed, they need to make WiiU interesting to both customers and developers/publishers long before the E3 craziness starts

Certainly. Nobody knows what's coming for Wii U from now on, except some games with absolute zero coverage. People who bought Wii U last year has absolutely no idea for what's coming next.

MrT-Tar

I think more RPG announcements are a given for the 3DS. That said, I can't help but feel worried given the Square half of S-E's hesitance regarding high profile development for the 3DS; it seems that games that would be on the 3DS are on iOS instead.

Lyude77

I'd consider Dragon Quest X bigger, isn't that March?

DQX is a port of an MMO, so it's not bigger than Pikmin 3. Pikmin 3 should sell over 500k in Japan, and DQX may get around half of that on the Wii U, but I'm a bit doubtful (though it will make more money than Pikmin 3 because it's an MMO).

Gradivus

Well both Pikmin games sold around 500,000 on the Gamecube. I can see the Pikmin game in Nintendoland spiking some interest into it like I am right now (never played one until Nintendoland).

For Dragonquest, it really depends on if people were waiting for the Wii U one over the Wii title. Is there any difference between the two?

urfe

DQX is a port of an MMO, so it's not bigger than Pikmin 3. Pikmin 3 should sell over 500k in Japan, and DQX may get around half of that on the Wii U, but I'm a bit doubtful (though it will make more money than Animal Crossing because it's an MMO).

Cool, had no idea how big Pikmin was. I hope DQX does better than what you predict though. I've held out for the WiiU version, can't be the only one!

DQX is a port of an MMO, so it's not bigger than Pikmin 3. Pikmin 3 should sell over 500k in Japan, and DQX may get around half of that on the Wii U, but I'm a bit doubtful (though it will make more money than Animal Crossing because it's an MMO).

Pikmin 3 will not sell 500k in Japan.

Jackano

Problem is both aren't that "big".
We've seen how "big" is DQX on Wii: It's a MMO before being DraQue, apparently.
And as much as I love Pikmin, it's pretty clear the franchise isn't even in the top 10 of Nintendo's IPs. Only two games so far, released on Gamecube...

And more than that, the two were from the ground Wii games, so not really good candidates to convey the Wii U appeal and specifics of the system.
That's one more reason Nintendo need to have a great title for march/april, and for the same reason, that's why US/EU release shedule sucks so much with Pikmin 3 on Q2.

On other topic: When was DraQue IX announced for the DS? I mean, what was the LTD for the DS in Japan at that time? Crossing this month the 10M mark should decide Squix to announce something if it's gonna be for 3DS.

farnham

Banned
Problem is both aren't that "big".
We've seen how "big" is DQX on Wii: It's a MMO before being DraQue, apparently.
And as much as I love Pikmin, it's pretty clear the franchise isn't even in the top 10 of Nintendo's IPs. Only two games so far, released on Gamecube...

And more than that, the two were from the ground Wii games, so not really good candidates to convey the Wii U appeal and specifics of the system.
That's one more reason Nintendo need to have a great title for march/april, and for the same reason, that's why US/EU release shedule sucks so much with Pikmin 3 on Q2.

On other topic: When was DraQue IX announced for the DS? I mean, what was the LTD for the DS in Japan at that time? Crossing this month the 10M mark should decide Squix to announce something if it's gonna be for 3DS.
400k active subscribers is bad?
Its pretty huge imo.
Pikmin 3 will not sell 500k in Japan.

Another ai no uta like song and it will do millions

Because japanese people feel as pikmin

Road

DQIX was announced on the 20th anniversary celebration, in Dec. 2006. GAF classic: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133134 (wasted my time looking on the GAF Archive, I figured this thread would be there...)

Then you check Garaph for the DS LTD: http://garaph.info/weeklyoverview.php?week=2006-12-11

I forgot to mention Tank! Tank! Tank! for Wii U.

Currently, it's only available in the eShop in Japan (Launch: 26.12.2012).

Miiverse activity was at 9.210 on 06.01.2013.

So the game probably sold >10.000 units online, Miiverse numbers are always lower than the actual sales.

Retail version launch: 21.02.2013

lherre

Accurate
I forgot to mention Tank! Tank! Tank! for Wii U.

Currently, it's only available in the eShop in Japan (Launch: 26.12.2012).

Miiverse activity was at 9.210 on 30.12.2012.

So the game probably sold >10.000 units online, Miiverse numbers are always lower than the actual sales.

Retail version launch: 21.02.2013

But it is not "free"?? I mean that you can get it free only a part of the game or purchase it all the content. You can differenciate it in miiverse?

why not?

That's what Pikmin 1 and 2 sold on Gamcube...

Well, namely because the Japan video game market is so different now than what it was when Pikmin 2 was released, definitely since Pikmin 1. After the lukewarm performance of Mario Galaxy 2, arguably Nintendo's best core game of last gen, which barely managed to sell a million in Japan, I'm beginning to suspect that a lot of Nintendo's more traditional IPs have failed to evolve beyond the need of requiring a bigger home than a handheld. I think Pikmin is one of those games.

But it is not "free"?? I mean that you can get it free only a part of the game or purchase it all the content. You can differenciate it in miiverse?
No, you can only see who purchased (or in this case: downloaded) the game.

This number should be around 10.000 for this week, going by the Miiverse activity.

This is what's currenty announced for Wii U in Japan:

01.31.13 Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 (Koei)
02.21.13 Tank! Tank! Tank! (Namco)
03.14.13 Need for Speed: Most Wanted - A Criterion Game (Electronic Arts)

early 2013: Game & Wario (Nintendo)
spring 2013: Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online (Square Enix)
spring 2013: Pikmin 3 (Nintendo)
spring 2013: Wii Fit U (Nintendo)

tba: Bayonetta 2 (Nintendo)
tba: LEGO City Undercover (Nintendo)
tba: Monolith Soft project (Nintendo)
tba: Rayman Legends (Nintendo)
tba: Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo)
tba: The Wonderful 101 (Nintendo)

extralite

Fantasy Life is only 7 on the eShop where-as Animal Crossing is still 1 so I doubt it'll come close to matching ACs digital sales, even the ratio.

It climbed to 5!

DSC_0146-e1357598255434.jpg

Obviously FL didn't sell as many downloads as AC but we can't say anything about the ratio from those positions. Between AC and FL there are only non-retail games so if we take those out FL is right behind AC, same as Famitsu. The ratio might be worse or it might not, no way to tell from these charts.

lherre

Accurate
No, you can only see who purchased (or in this case: downloaded) the game.

This number should be around 10.000 for this week, going by the Miiverse activity.

Ok, then you can see 10k downloads but not who purchased the "entire" game rigth? Or am I interpreting it incorrectly?

Well, namely because the Japan video game market is so different now than what it was when Pikmin 2 was released, definitely since Pikmin 1. After the lukewarm performance of Mario Galaxy 2, arguably Nintendo's best core game of last gen, which barely managed to sell a million in Japan, I'm beginning to suspect that a lot of Nintendo's more traditional IPs have failed to evolve beyond the need of requiring a bigger home than a handheld. I think Pikmin is one of those games.
Galaxy 2 sold better than Sunshine did on Gamecube. I'm not sure bringing it up helps your case.

Ok, then you can see 10k downloads but not who purchased the "entire" game rigth? Or am I interpreting it incorrectly?
Usually, there's a symbol beneath the Miiverse posts which indicates that someone bought the game (same goes for TTT).

But I don't know if the system seperates this like you said.

All we have is the activity, which indicates that the game should've 10.000 downloads or purchases in that week.

lherre

Accurate
Usually, there's a symbol beneath the Miiverse posts which indicates that someone bought the game (same goes for TTT).

But I don't know if the system seperates this like you said.

All we have is the activity, which indicates that the game should've 10.000 downloads or purchases in that week.

thanks for the explanation

Dude, the only person in this thread that believes the shit you ever say in the Japanese numbers thread is you. You have constantly and consistently made stupid, baseless predictions without knowing anything of the Japanese market and just throw shit at the wall and see what sticks. You finally get one random result in correctly and say "Told you so." Even a fucking broken clock is right at least two times a day. Doesn't mean you know anything.
I like making predictions about the JPN market based on general sentiment and broad trends, basically slightly informed 'gut feelings'. If it isn't welcome in this thread, I'll step out. What is all this stuff I've been wrong about in the past?

Galaxy 2 sold better than Sunshine did on Gamecube. I'm not sure bringing it up helps your case.

True, but there are other factors I've not mentioned that also play a role in all of this, including the userbase at the time of the game's release; the quality of the game itself; etc. I'm not sure if bringing up Sunshine is the best example, since it was released under a year after the GC's launch (while SMG2 was released 4 years after the Wii came out), thus a bigger audience on a much more popular platform; then you have the opinion that Sunshine was horse dung in comparison with Galaxy 2, which is an opinion I happen to share.

Galaxy 2 still sold more than Sunshin (as well as Galaxy 1). Other traditional Nintendo IP that sold better on Wii than on GC: Fire Emblem, Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Paper Mario.

Also: New Play Control version of Pikmin sold quite well on Wii, 170k units the first one and 150k units the second one.

thanks for the explanation
Thanks for pointing this out, forgot that they made it f2p in Japan (the eShop version at least).

In the end, I think that every download counts as "purchased" in this case, but I can't tell for sure.

Edit: I must correct myself - Miiverse activity is as of 06.01.2013

This is what's currenty announced for Wii U in Japan:

01.31.13 Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 (Koei)
02.21.13 Tank! Tank! Tank! (Namco)
03.14.13 Need for Speed: Most Wanted - A Criterion Game (Electronic Arts)

early 2013: Game & Wario (Nintendo)
spring 2013: Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online (Square Enix)
spring 2013: Pikmin 3 (Nintendo)
spring 2013: Wii Fit U (Nintendo)

tba: Bayonetta 2 (Nintendo)
tba: Monolith Soft project (Nintendo)
tba: Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo)
tba: The Wonderful 101 (Nintendo)

It's amazing that Wii U does not have a single new IP from Nintendo.

N64, Gamecube, and Wii all had atleast 1 new IP at launch or within the launch window

Yeah, by then PS3 had a much bigger userbase than Wi U has atm though, a little shy of 7 millions.
I dunno, the game's doing less than I expected. Sure it's the 5th iteration of MH3 in some form, and maybe it'll have legs and keep selling alongside the hardware, but I think it's a minor dissapointment right now.

Even the crusty 5 year old port of MHG managed 250k on Wii.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I dunno, the game's doing less than I expected. Sure it's the 5th iteration of MH3 in some form, and maybe it'll have legs and keep selling alongside the hardware, but I think it's a minor dissapointment right now.

Even the crusty 5 year old port of MHG managed 250k on Wii.

I expected a bit more but I bet it gets close to 300k in the end.

Galaxy 2 still sold more than Sunshin (as well as Galaxy 1). Other traditional Nintendo IP that sold better on Wii than on GC: Fire Emblem, Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Paper Mario.

Also: New Play Control version of Pikmin sold quite well on Wii, 170k units the first one and 150k units the second one.

Then explain to me why Mario Galaxy 2 performed worse than Mario Galaxy 1 in Japan, despite being the better game and being released to a larger audience as consequence of being a later release? The same with Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess (whose sales were cannabalized by the GC release but still managed to sell more on the Wii than SS)?

Top Bottom