• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 52, 2013 (Dec 23 - Dec 29)

Sandfox

I totally foresee a 200€/$(*100Yen) maximum launch price, for a Vita-like HW or a 150bucks for a slighlty-less-powerful-than-Vita device, at launch.

I'd prefer the first one, maybe waiting for a bundle.

So basically you expect them to put out a device with the same power and price as the Vita now in like 2016? I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect something stronger for that price point.

hiska-kun

Can't see the reason, honestly. Last week there was an HW bundle, this week (without the HW bundle) is similar to the previous one, so why should we see more sw sold? also considering that the brand new softwre (Zelda) seems sold out (I've seen it reported here many times)

Because the bundle boosted hardware sales, maybe without the bundle the 3DS should've sold 170k, that means, this week is up.
But of course that's hypothetical, so we don't know for sure.

Software should be up. Just check week 1 for year 2012, and 2013. Everything in stock was up. If this year it's not, things are not looking good for 3DS.

SmokyDave

Sucks. I think it would have been wiser to create a line of Ipod touch like products that served as their handheld line. Each time an Xperia released, they released a phoneless play version.
I think they'll go that way next time. Some sort of Playstation Platform spanning console, mobile, and tablet.

And to Smokey: I understand personal feelings and preferences, but N is still alive because it's somehow conservative, compared to the new competitors (MS and Sony), can't be really compared in terms of structure, nature, business model and so on. It is what it is: a videogame company that has only that business to succed/survive. an high-end spec top notch console (expensive or sold at a loss) in the actual business (not the old one with Atari, Sega or whoever) would be a suicide

EDIT: Oh, and don't be silly with that "Sony out of portable market" thing! :p
I know, I do get that. What's good for me ain't good for them. They'd be making a foolish business decision if they made an expensive handheld. Wouldn't kill 'em to use a decent screen and two sticks though :(

Yeah that reeks of melodrama to me...if anything I think they'll adapt their next effort to the current realities of the mobile space. The Vita wasn't created with that in mind. What that means though, well, we'll see. But I'm thinking something more elaborate than the Xperia line.
Let me put it another way then: I don't think their next portable gaming device will be a dedicated handheld with two analogue sticks. I think they'll move over to smartphones and tablets. You'd think I'd be happy about that, but I'm balls deep in the iOS ecosystem with no intention of changing. I'd definitely buy a Sony tablet that synced with a DS4 though.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So basically you expect them to put out a device with the same power and price as the Vita now in like 2016? I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect something stronger for that price point.

The 3DS is stronger, but not extremely so, than the PSP and was launched at 250€/$/(*100Yen), where the PSP retailed for 100€/$/(*100Yen). It really depends on what Nintendo comes up with other than the obvious hardware upgrade.

Sandfox

The 3DS is stronger, but not extremely so, than the PSP and was launched at 250€/$/(*100Yen), where the PSP retailed for 100€/$/(*100Yen). It really depends on what Nintendo comes up with other than the obvious hardware upgrade.

Yeah, I kinda blame the 3D for things like the resolution and price but the 3DS was still pretty overpriced at launch which probably won't happen again after the fallout from the price drop.

Striek

PlayStation Now/Gaikai is the future of gaming for Sony. Dedicated hardware doesn't make too much sense in a reality where any hardware can play your software. All mobiles, all tablets, all PCs, all TVs is the goal. Maybe theres room for a dedicated media player but not something thats its own identifiable platform.

Dalthien

Finally sold most of its shipment, and with no price collapse from what I've seen in Amazon/marketplace. While way down from BiS, it wasn't a failure (at least in Japan, no clue about numbers for the rest of the world...)

According to Famitsu, the initial shipment was about 375k, and it's already past that. The game will finish well over 400k.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Damn Bruno :( Such harsh realities.

wasn't that knwon that Wii U is more or less in line with GC? few weeks ago that was the "at best" situation, too...

Well, as Yoshi says:

Plus: mobile market will be even stronger. Dedicated handhelds MUST be effordable (but profitable) for Nintendo.

Yeah that reeks of melodrama to me...if anything I think they'll adapt their next effort to the current realities of the mobile space. The Vita wasn't created with that in mind. What that means though, well, we'll see. But I'm thinking something more elaborate than the Xperia line.

Both Sony and Nintendo will have to do something different for their hendheld (Sony) and home (Nintendo), and looking at some sort of merging strategy is not silly up to now. But that doesn't mean that they will drop those divisions.
I can see a more mobile oriented Vita or a more Game oriented Xperia to compenetrate in one unique product for example: is there is someone able to cross the edges between mobile and portable console that is Sony. That wouldn't mean to drop the portable, but to create a new device able to do equally both functionality for example.
I can also see some sort of "merging strategy" (some connectivity, some environment, some advantage in owning both products) for home nintendo console with their (most solid business) portable console too: that wouldn't mean drop the home segment, but try something different to adapt it to a different and tough situation

Glass Rebel

Let's not forget the misguided price bump after the E3 reactions.

If Nintendo drops the clamshell design, 3D and is a bit smarter about the hardware, they'll have a decent handheld in 1-2 years that will compare much more favourably to than the 3DS. The next gimmick/hook should be software based.

RalchAC

I too don't believe SSD will sell as well as the original because the impression I'm getting is that it's like an expansion pack, but not a meaty one like Diablo 2 LoD,.

If Soul Sacrifice Delta doesn't sell at least as much as the original, it's a crime. The original game is awesome and the support they've done with free post launch DLC is something we need to reward with our money.

I mean, Monster Hunter almost release a new entry yearly and people still buys it (yeah, i know different things)

wouldn't it be strange to see SW up with less HW sold, on a weekly base?

Why? If hardware goes down, it means 3DS is reaching market saturation (there is not that much people interested on buying it anymore aside some slowpokes) but the userbase is active and buys games (and money is in games).

Well, it would be stronger but I think it would use the same tech as the Vita (smartphone tech) so they can drop the price faster. Vita prices, bomba sales aside, is dropping in price pretty fast (there were some 169€ bundles for Christmas) and Sony has said the aren't losing money with the thing. I suppose it's the good thing about not usign propietary components.

I think they'll probably repeat the 3DS price strategy. The only change is that their only competition will be smart devices.

Sandfox

Both Sony and Nintendo will have to do something different for their hendheld (Sony) and home (Nintendo), and looking at some sort of merging strategy is not silly up to now. But that doesn't mean that they will drop those divisions.
I can see a more mobile oriented Vita or a more Game oriented Xperia to compenetrate in one unique product for example: is there is someone able to cross the edges between mobile and portable console that is Sony. That wouldn't mean to drop the portable, but to create a new device able to do equally both functionality for example.
I can also see some sort of "merging strategy" (some connectivity, some environment, some advantage in owning both products) for home nintendo console with their (most solid business) portable console too: that wouldn't mean drop the home segment, but try something different to adapt it to a different and tough situation

I don't really see how a game oriented phone from Sony would work unless the games only worked on it or something since most devs would just make the games for every android and iOS device.

orioto

Good Art™
Code:
WEEKLY HARDWARE SALES

GAMECUBE			WII U

2002-11-18	32.099		2013-11-18	20.177
2002-11-25	30.341		2013-11-25	27.325
2002-12-02	39.849		2013-12-02	46.773
2002-12-09	44.902		2013-12-09	72.982
2002-12-16	66.410		2013-12-16     119.159
2002-12-23	60.290		2013-12-23	79.174
2002-12-30	71.945		2013-12-30	61.000
2003-01-06	13.526          2014-01-06

That will be interesting.
The console performed less good than the ngc but had a better Christmas, clearly cause of a popular (relatively) mario title.

The gap between last week and this one was violent for the ngc. Lets see if Mario has legs and allows the WiiU to dive less deeply.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
wasn't that knwon that Wii U is more or less in line with GC? few weeks ago that was the "at best" situation, too...

Wii U was outpacing GC numbers in the past few weeks. It saddens me that the Wii U vs GC comparison displays the Wii U as fallen behind the GC...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Why? If hardware goes down, it means 3DS is reaching market saturation (there is not that much people interested on buying it anymore aside some slowpokes) but the userbase is active and buys games (and money is in games).

I can't believe we are talking about saturation for 3ds for this week numbers, really, pretending to see the SW going up compared to last week (considering also zelda sold out) otherwise bad times are coming :\

The doom talk is really unnecessary and premature, especially coming from hiska-kun, at first I thought he was being sarcastic, lol.

Still, the handheld market has shrunk and the 3DS is definitely reaching saturation point, Final Fantasy is the only system seller left.

I'm sure Nintendo will introduce a new redesign this year though, be it 2DS or something else.

RalchAC

I can't believe we are talking about saturation for 3ds for this week numbers, really, pretending to see the SW going up compared to last week (considering also zelda sold out) otherwise bad times are coming :\

Nah, I'm not saying that it's happening. I only said that lower hardware sales are not bad if there is a active userbase buying games for the device.

hiska-kun

The doom talk is really unnecessary and premature, especially coming from hiska-kun, at first I thought he was being sarcastic, lol.

Still, the handheld market has shrunk and the 3DS is definitely reaching saturation point, Final Fantasy is the only system seller left.

I'm sure Nintendo will introduce a new redesign this year though, be it 2DS or something else.

I said I'll wait until see the software rankings. Just I didn't like this preview, because if week 1 can tell us were Wii U will be soon, also can tell us the problems will face 3DS soon. If software is according to planned, you won't listen any complaint coming from me.

Yoshi

I actually think it's more likely that the 3DS gets a new Dragon Quest than a new FF.

TheZjman

Banned
Damn Bruno :( Such harsh realities, Wii U fallen behind GC.

But it was ahead of it during Christmas which is arguably more important...

Considering the GCN hit the suicide button the first week in January, as long as the Wii U doesn't do that it should be fine.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Mark my words: if they launch in 2016 (especially late 2016), they can release a portable with Wii U-like graphics AND at a lower price than 3DS. Mobile tech has exploded since 3DS released (and they've already built that with some off-the-shelves component; with its successor, they can go much further).

Yoshi

Mark my words: if they launch in 2016 (especially late 2016), they can release a portable with Wii U-like graphics AND at a lower price than 3DS. Mobile tech has exploded since 3DS released (and they've already built that with some off-the-shelves component; with its successor, they can go much further).

But what about battery? Also, we should never forget the distinctive feature. Every system Nintendo has made since the DS had one (GameCube had two planned, seemingly, too: 3D and motion controls). This potentially adds to the price and costs battery life. Nevertheless, Wii U-levels for the next Nintendo handheld would be very nice, I've not seen anything from the new consoles that would indicate that for a handheld, better tech would be needed (with a higher resolution and more visual details being the main application of the improved tech so far - things that would be unnecessary or even not noticable on a handheld).

Jonnyram

Considering the GCN hit the suicide button the first week in January, as long as the Wii U doesn't do that it should be fine.
I think you missed the mark considerably. Surely Christmas sales are the least important overall, as they are just a blip for presents? If sales are down last week compared to last year, that surely is a bad omen for 2014.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Normally during New Year festivities, most hardware sales enjoy a spike in their respective sales, the Wii U did not unfortunately - thus most likely signifying a more pronounced downward trend going forward.

My comment was geared towards the fact that the Wii U, although had several weeks of outpacing GC sales, was not able to continue to outpace the GC which is disappointing in itself...

Edit: Thanks Johnnyram

Kureransu

Code:
WEEKLY HARDWARE SALES

GAMECUBE			WII U

2002-11-18	32.099		2013-11-18	20.177
2002-11-25	30.341		2013-11-25	27.325
2002-12-02	39.849		2013-12-02	46.773
2002-12-09	44.902		2013-12-09	72.982
2002-12-16	66.410		2013-12-16     119.159
2002-12-23	60.290		2013-12-23	79.174
2002-12-30	71.945		2013-12-30	61.000
2003-01-06	13.526          2014-01-06

I think your wiiu number are 1 week off. pretty sure the leaked numbers are for the 30-5th, seeing how the 22-29 shows 79k sold.

Mr Swine

Banned
But what about battery? Also, we should never forget the distinctive feature. Every system Nintendo has made since the DS had one (GameCube had two planned, seemingly, too: 3D and motion controls). This potentially adds to the price and costs battery life. Nevertheless, Wii U-levels for the next Nintendo handheld would be very nice, I've not seen anything from the new consoles that would indicate that for a handheld, better tech would be needed (with a higher resolution and more visual details being the main application of the improved tech so far - things that would be unnecessary or even not noticable on a handheld).

If Vita can reach early Xbox360 and PS3 graphics with old hardware from 2010-2011, then Nintendo can reach for Wii U class graphics easily with hardware from today from Nvidia and Qualcomm. Vita is using off the selves parts and not custom made right?

Yoshi

I think your wiiu number are 1 week off. pretty sure the leaked numbers are for the 30-5th, seeing how the 22-29 shows 79k sold.
He's giving the staring date of the week, which is the 30th. So not a week off.

Regarding Vita: Vita has a huge-ass battery though.

Mpl90

I've proprosed haptic tech as possible next gimmick, but only if they put it in with Wii U-like graphics and 199.99 as highest price possible. Otherwise, they should aim at a software gimmick (I have an idea on the matter, I mentioned it several times already and one of the "Next Nintendo console" volumes will be about that...maybe the next one).

About battery, from what I'm seeing / what it's been said in several discussions I had with other users, mobile tech is going for better performances, but even more for better energy efficiency. And LPDDR4 goes in that direction.

L~A

Nah, late 2016 would be... well... too late (especially if Sony gives another go at a dedicated handheld, they're probably not gonna launch late again). Late 2015/early 2016 (march maybe) would be a sweet spot. And earlier than that would be way too premature.

If Vita can reach early Xbox360 and PS3 graphics with old hardware from 2010-2011, then Nintendo can reach for Wii U class graphics easily with hardware from today from Nvidia and Qualcomm. Vita is using off the selves parts and not custom made right?

They can do that but they probably won't. The 3ds could've been a lot stronger too yet it's only somewhat better than the psp which released in 2004.

Mpl90

Nah, late 2016 would be... well... too late (especially if Sony gives another go at a dedicated handheld, they're probably not gonna launch late again). Late 2015/early 2016 (march maybe) would be a sweet spot. And earlier than that would be way too premature.

I'm predicting late 2016 because that's when they could come up with a Wii U-like graphics portable cheapily, with 199.99 at max, and because it'd be right in time for Holidays. 2015 is certainly premature, even Fall 2015. Early 2016 could be even acceptable, but they would be out of the Holidays.

QaaQer

Aye, sadly this much is clear. If anything, I expect the next Nintendo handheld to aim for a much lower launch pricepoint and be even further behind other mobile devices than the 3DS is now.

Fucking market realities :(

It sucks that dedicated handhelds are sold as children's toys everywhere with the partial exception of Japan. Because children's toy always equals cheap cheap cheap.

QaaQer

?

Why would they create another handheld and pour resources into R&D, backend software, and game development when all that money and talent could be used on profitable ventures?

hiska-kun

Thanks to Chris1964:

Media Create Sales: Week 52, 2013 (Dec 23 - Dec 29)

01./00. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2013.12.26} (¥4.800) - 224.143 / NEW
02./01. [3DS] PazuDora Z: Puzzle & Dragons Z <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2013.12.12} (¥4.400) - 205.654 / 1.005.658 (-20%)
03./00. [PS3] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.12.26} (¥7.140) - 185.918 / NEW
04./02. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2013.10.12} (¥4.800) - 153.767 / 3.726.596 (-28%)
05./00. [PSV] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster: Twin Pack # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.12.26} (¥7.140) - 149.132 / NEW
06./05. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.11.21} (¥5.985) - 64.573 / 392.087 (-25%)
07./09. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990) - 42.927 / 3.110.240 (+16%)
08./03. [PS3] New Dynasty Warriors: Gundam <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.12.19} (¥7.980) - 37.626 / 163.645 (-70%)
09./07. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 33.875 / 3.597.999 (-18%)
10./10. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy: Big Bang / Supernova <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.12.05} (¥5.500) - 30.383 / 185.871 (-9%)
11./08. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} (¥4.800) - 27.915 / 1.612.037 (-27%)
12./00. [PSV] Final Fantasy X HD Remaster <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.12.26} (¥3.990) - 25.443 / NEW
13./14. [3DS] One Piece: Unlimited World Red # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.980) - 23.793 / 193.181 (-15%)
14./04. [PS3] Drakengard 3 <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.12.19} (¥7.980) - 22.472 / 136.496 (-80%)
15./18. [3DS] Battle For Money Sentouchuu: Densetsu no Shinobi no Survival Battle! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.10.17} (¥4.980) - 21.923 / 180.163 (-12%)
16./06. [PSV] New Dynasty Warriors: Gundam <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.12.19} (¥6.980) - 21.543 / 74.210 (-59%)
17./17. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 21.098 / 2.226.905 (-16%)
18./12. [3DS] Aikatsu! 2-nin no My Princess <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.480) - 21.012 / 167.910 (-28%)
19./19. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800) - 20.940 / 2.203.347 (-13%)
20./20. [WIU] Wii Party U <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.10.31} (¥4.935) - 20.633 / 139.733 (-14%)

Top 20

3DS - 12
PS3 - 3
PSV - 3
WIU - 2

HARDWARE
Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 3DS # |    201.703 |    232.600 |    250.205 |  4.882.040 |  5.497.737 |  14.661.920 |
| PSV # |     87.142 |     55.591 |     20.492 |  1.224.532 |    690.839 |   2.355.357 |
|  WIU  |     73.178 |    109.113 |     69.386 |    898.143 |    627.287 |   1.525.430 |
|  PS3  |     30.321 |     24.573 |     53.222 |    849.590 |  1.223.699 |   9.709.674 |
| PSP # |     10.310 |      9.905 |     41.914 |    439.398 |    899.627 |  20.068.409 |
|  WII  |      1.715 |      1.711 |      6.741 |     72.082 |    475.615 |  12.710.918 |
|  360  |        616 |        763 |      1.986 |     25.482 |     77.789 |   1.639.316 |
|  ALL  |    404.985 |    434.256 |    444.857 |  8.391.267 |  9.618.808 |  62.671.024 |
| PSVTV |      6.031 |      5.504 |            |     76.244 |            |      76.244 |
|  PSV  |     81.111 |     50.087 |     20.492 |  1.148.288 |    690.839 |   2.279.113 |
| 3DSLL |    139.867 |    164.078 |    150.581 |  3.335.515 |  2.090.371 |   5.425.886 |
|  3DS  |     61.836 |     68.522 |     99.624 |  1.546.525 |  3.407.366 |   9.236.034 |
|  PSP  |     10.310 |      9.905 |     41.914 |    439.398 |    899.627 |  19.892.422 |

Tomorrow the Top 30.

Top Bottom