• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 6, 2013 (Feb 04 - Feb 10)

Nekki

Has there been any sort of budget reprint for RE: Revelations? Although that chance is kinda lost with the HD remake coming now.

donny2112

Being pedantic, but it's hard to say if it or Brain Age 2 were the slower, since BA2 did it while staying out of weekly Top 30 and mid-year Top 100. Unless they made one of those "X game passed Y million" announcements not included in my data, it's hard to nail down.
BA2

Animal Crossing was slower. We have a FY Top x from March 2009 with Brain Training 2 having just crossed 5m in it. Even working back assumed weekly numbers for Animal Crossing puts it at 1278 days to cross 5m and Brain Training 2 at 1186 days to cross 5m.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All right everyone, time for the all important question:

Will the Vita's stunning new line-up of a price drop, five Monster Hunter clones, and an FFX model viewer be enough to beat the Wii U in the next couple of months?

Will the Vita's stunning new line-up of a price drop, five Monster Hunter clones, and an FFX model viewer be enough to beat the Wii U in the next couple of months?

Will beat it for a few weeks in march simply because it has games being released, beyond that though no

I don't think so, but to be safe I think Nintendo will counter punch with more 10 cents NES games.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

It will definitely beat Wii U for most of March, though I suspect it will be a pretty hollow victory.

Wii U has Game & Wario on 3/28 and then DQ X 2 days later, and I'm still presuming either Pikmin 3 or Wii U fit for the end of April (speculating obviously, but Nintendo always has something ready for that week).

If I had to guess, Vita will outsell Wii U from the end of February until the end of March.

Long term, the Vita looks pretty much dead to me.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood

In other words will it sell more then 10.000 a week? Uhm yes.

The Tale of 2 Spiraling Shitstorms

I'm going to say yes, but it will still be in the realm of a few k. Wii U has Dragon Quest and Game and Wario on the 30th, but Vita has a whole month with the pricedrop.

Probably. It has more releases and is much cheaper.
I don't expect anything significant though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Yes it will enough.
I mean, they are selling very similar (8k VS 12k) with Mario and Land still able to chart VS nothing at all (compared to the new bunch of games incoming even with all the limits that the lineup actually has). With the price drop alongside those games it will outsell a Wii U that will keep its actual price and see no release for February and just game&Wario and DQX in march.

vareon

Well the Vita became a bit more attractive with its library to those on the fence, while the Wii U condition hasn't changed. I'd say yes, until June.

And I'm pulling June out of my ass here since I kind of forgot Wii U's library until June.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It will definitely beat Wii U for most of March, though I suspect it will be a pretty hollow victory.

Wii U has Game & Wario on 3/28 and then DQ X 2 days later, and I'm still presuming either Pikmin 3 or Wii U fit for the end of April (speculating obviously, but Nintendo always has something ready for that week).

If I had to guess, Vita will outsell Wii U from the end of February until the end of March.

I agree, and I would be extremely surprised if this doesn't happen now with the price drop and MH clones and stuff.

Well the Vita became a bit more attractive with its library to those on the fence, while the Wii U condition hasn't changed. I'd say yes, until June.

And I'm pulling June out of my ass here since I kind of forgot Wii U's library until June.

Don't worry Nintendo did too.

schuelma

Don't worry Nintendo did too.

Snap!

Seriously though, things are starting to look a bit better starting the end of March..again, presuming Nintendo plans on releasing Pikmin and Wii Fit sometime in Q2.

Jackano

In any way, this will be levels of sales that can be done within a good week (4 times 10-15k can be done by a good 40-50k week).

Just solely on the price, this should be enought for vita to outsell the WiiU. Only question remains if the two days of sales with Game&Wario and DQX will be enought to catch up.

Snap!

Seriously though, things are starting to look a bit better starting the end of March..again, presuming Nintendo plans on releasing Pikmin and Wii Fit sometime in Q2.

Pikmin is listed as Q2 Summer which doesn't scream early Q2 to me, but having one game a month is just not very good especially since I don't think either of those games will do particularly well on a bad selling platform.
Only question remains if the two days of sales with Game&Wario and DQX will be enought to catch up.

The DQX Wii U bundle is over 40k yen.

schuelma

Pikmin is listed as Q2 Summer which doesn't scream early Q2 to me, but having one game a month is just not very good especially since I don't think either of those games will do particularly well on a bad selling platform.

Right now Pikmin 3, Wii Fit U, and Wonderful 101 are listed as Spring-Summer on the Japanese website.

Like I said above, Nintendo always has something ready for Golden Week (2007 was Super Paper Mario and Big Brain Academy), so I would expect 1 of Pikmin or Wii Fit U to come out April 25th or something.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

The DQX Wii U bundle is over 40k yen.

Q2 goes from April-June and Summer starts on Friday, June 21 if we're going by the astronomical calendar.

Edit: If it's Spring-Summer then it could be anytime in the quarter.

Right now Pikmin 3, Wii Fit U, and Wonderful 101 are listed as Spring-Summer on the Japanese website.

Like I said above, Nintendo always has something ready for Golden Week (2007 was Super Paper Mario and Big Brain Academy), so I would expect 1 of Pikmin or Wii Fit U to come out April 25th or something.

Oh I do expect Wii Fit at Golden Week. I just don't expect Pikmin 3 until late May to carry any momentum it gets during that wee.

Edit: That Q2 Summer must be the American date I'm think of then.

Zornica

Banned

well... how much of those monster hunter clones are multi plattform titles?

It's hard to see the vita not outselling the wii U in that period. There is simply nothing releasing for the wii U.

Oh I do expect Wii Fit at Golden Week. I just don't expect Pikmin 2 until late May to carry any momentum it gets during that wee.

Edit: That Q2 Summer must be the American date I'm think of then.

Nintendos lazy rehashes reach an all new level :p.

well... how much of those monster hunter clones are multi plattform titles?
all except one

as for nirolaks question i think most of us were already expecting the vita to jump past the u in the coming nweeks anyway. Pricedrop prpbably just give that jump a very slight boost.

If anything, now Vita will most probably take a bigger boost out of Soul sacrifice's release - and therefore it makes a sensible decision imo, in fact that's been quite a predictable move -, the entry-price now being a little cheaper, and generally the price-cut may result in Vita staying above 10k weekly, but not by a large margin, not until new releases.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
all except one

as for nirolaks question i think most of us were already expecting the vita to jump past the u in the coming nweeks anyway. Pricedrop prpbably just give that jump a very slight boost.
Two are exclusive, SS and VK3.

One would think so. I'm interested in seeing the new vita baseline and if it'll drop below 10k a few weeks after the drop or if it'll establish itself above it.

Another interesting thing I want to see is if vita can catch up to wiiu's YTD numbers in a battle of the irrelevant consoles.

If anything, now Vita will most probably take a bigger boost out of Soul sacrifice's release - and therefore it makes a sensible decision imo, in fact that's been quite a predictable move -, the entry-price now being a little cheaper, and generally the price-cut may result in Vita staying above 10k weekly, but not by a large margin, not until new releases.

while comg can be wrong, soul sacrifice is doing terrible on it in fact not even charted by it yet, SS will not be vitas saviour

BriBri

I'm hoping this will see a Vita resurgence but I suspect just a semi-resurgence as I can't really seeing many more big games being released after the next few months (FFX aside).

I wonder just how low it will go before the 2/28 price-cut? <4,000?

serplux

It's possible word of mouth will give it strong legs and boost Vita, but one can never predict that.

Tbh, I expect it to simply give a small boost for one week before returning to normal levels. I doubt it will impact the Vita nearly as much as Persona 4 Golden did.

It's possible word of mouth will give it strong legs and boost Vita, but one can never predict that.

true that is a big unknown, we will have to wait and see, when it comes to week one bumps though i'd expect more from senran kagura and would've done for pso2 (though the later will now be indistinguishable from the price cut bump)

Foshy

Tbh, I expect it to simply give a small boost for one week before returning to normal levels. I doubt it will impact the Vita nearly as much as Persona 4 Golden did.

It has the price-cut and Tales of Hearts R backing it up though, so I think 50k might not be impossible.
It will still get outsold by the 3DS that week.
I expect the Vita to sell slightly over 100k in March, actually.

much less i'd say
2-3k, probably.

test_account

XP-39C²
while comg can be wrong, soul sacrifice is doing terrible on it in fact not even charted by it yet, SS will not be vitas saviour
How do you mean with charted?

I'm hoping this will see a Vita resurgence but I suspect just a semi-resurgence as I can't really seeing many more big games being released after the next few months (FFX aside).

I wonder just how low it will go before the 2/28 price-cut? <4,000?
PS3 was doing about 1000 units the week before the PS3 Slim came out and the pricedrop.

How do you mean with charted?

Comgnet only has a certain number of titles on its chart. Soul Sacrifice is below the minimum preorder number to even be on the chart. Persona 4 was on the chart for months beforehand. Generally if something isn't even on the chart it's not a good sign for sales although when they do show up on the chart trying to use comparison numbers is never a good idea.

serplux

It has the price-cut and Tales of Hearts R backing it up though, so I think 50k might not be impossible.
It will still get outsold by the 3DS that week.
I expect the Vita to sell slightly over 100k in March, actually.

The Tales of Hearts original sold about 25k, right? It's going to be a minimal impact. Plus, the Vita only rose to about 35k when Persona 4 Golden (the best selling game) launched. I don't think 50k is obtainable.

test_account

XP-39C²
Comgnet only has a certain number of titles on its chart. Soul Sacrifice is below the minimum preorder number to even be on the chart. Persona 4 was on the chart for months beforehand. Generally if something isn't even on the chart it's not a good sign for sales although when they do show up on the chart trying to use comparison numbers is never a good idea.
its not in the comg preorder top 20 chart, where as phantasy star, senran kagura and tales of hearts are
Ah ok, i thought maybe it was refering to Comgnet, i just had to ask to be sure =) Thanks.

test_account

XP-39C²
1,000? Jeez!
As Donny2112 mentioned, it was known for a short while that a pricecut and a new model was coming. But i think that the PS3 broke an all time record in week-over-week hardware increase because that at least. The hardware increased almost 14500%(!) the next week =)

Is this price-cut make or break or does anyone believe they'll have more chances?
Depends if they will go to 15k yen as well. That wont happen before a long time though, if it happends.

donny2112

Depends if they will go to 15k yen as well. That wont happen before a long time though, if it happends.

If they can't reinvigorate third-party efforts on the system, it wouldn't make sense for them to officially drop the price and lose money on hardware without software selling to make up the difference. In that case, just cancelling the system (and retailers doing their own clearance sales) would be the probable outcome. Sort of like in the U.S. where the Xbox was losing money, so instead of dropping the price below $180, Microsoft just stopped making the system.

extralite

The Tales of Hearts original sold about 25k, right?

You must have been only looking at the one version that didn't sell, the CG Movie version.

According to garaph:

DS 2008-12-18 3320 Tales of Hearts: CG Movie/Anime Movie Editions Namco Bandai Games 6650 261,751

The ToI remake was still hovering around the lower part of the digital top 20 recently. ToH should see some growth over ToI since other anime heavy games released after ToI have broadened the user base and Hearts launches with a cheaper hardware and should therefore be in a better position to sell some more Vitas than ToI was.

BriBri

If they can't reinvigorate third-party efforts on the system, it wouldn't make sense for them to officially drop the price and lose money on hardware without software selling to make up the difference. In that case, just cancelling the system (and retailers doing their own clearance sales) would be the probable outcome. Sort of like in the U.S. where the Xbox was losing money, so instead of dropping the price below $180, Microsoft just stopped making the system.
I guess it also depends how much the Vita is integral with the PS4. Hopefully we'll find out on Wednesday.

you're gonna feel real dumb when the software and sales start pouring in

Lol....so when is that exactly....we still have not got any solid releases dates after Q1. You can not expect people to just believe nintendo will release these games in Q2 because....well just look at Q1.

you're gonna feel real dumb when the software and sales start pouring in

Which software are you talking about, because yes I will eat massive crow if Wii Fit U, Dragon Quest, and Pikmin do anything to boost the baseline of Wii U. Wii U will be sub 10k most of the year until either A) a price drop B) the first big game (probably will be mario kart) releases.

schuelma

Which software are you talking about, because yes I will eat massive crow if Wii Fit U, Dragon Quest, and Pikmin do anything to boost the baseline of Wii U. Wii U will be sub 10k most of the year until either A) a price drop B) the first big game (probably will be mario kart) releases.

Hmm I am not that pessimistic.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nintendo won't release their really big games before the holiday season. Wii Party was a hit though, so i can see WiiU party selling some systems in Sommer. Wind Waker HD in fall, Mario Universe in October/November and Mario Kart Dezember or Spring 14,depending on which other games are ready.

test_account

XP-39C²
That is true, that is one reason i can think of why they wouldnt go down to 15k yen.

EDIT: It depends much on how the production cost of the Vita is as well.

Top Bottom