• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2012 (Feb 20 - Feb 26)

muu

It's not likely to be a 550K+ game on a new platform with a tiny installed base and no MH. How much lower, I have no idea, but it'd still be bigger news than any Vita-exclusive title announced to date from a Japanese third party.

It could be interesting if God Eater 2 Burst or something of that sort comes out for Vita. You'd essentially have an Apple vs Android sort of situation assuming MH doesn't go multiplat as a portable release. Of course, who knows when that'll come out considering GE2 itself doesn't have a set release date...

Yes. Vita needs a constant flow of low/mid-tier games, with at least a pair of fairly big games. Some game here and there, titles that everyone expected (because it's not hard to think a new PS or a new Project Diva on the successor of PSP), are not sufficient imo.

Yeah, trickle of games at a 60% higher entry point vs its competitor with a barrage of strong releases doesn't really hold up well. Handful of titles that might tip core users on the edge about buying won't make a big difference in the overall scheme of things.

It makes a difference when/if we know for sure about games coming. I dont think that many buys a system based on rumored games.
I'm just talking in regards to GAF. None of this is really new news around here; we had the Phantasy Star Victory rumors, Project Diva 3 hire listings, Shining Blade Vita "mistake" and Super Robot Taisen (series) announcement all in 2011.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm just talking in regards to GAF. None of this is really new news around here; we had the Phantasy Star Victory rumors, Project Diva 3 hire listings, Shining Blade Vita "mistake" and Super Robot Taisen (series) announcement all in 2011.
I understand. I think it would be nice to get these games confirmed at least. But we will know for sure (at least for now) next Friday.

Road

SCE UK MD Fergal Gara on PS Vita said:
“I would expect the UK market to reasonably reflect the Japanese market where packaged media is still dominating. I don’t have exact figures, but at least three quarters – maybe 80 per cent – has been packaged media, even in the very early adopter market, so it will be at least that high in the foreseeable future in the UK.”
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/interview-the-uk-vita-launch-at-game/092152

Who knows if he's ever has seen actual numbers, though.

muu

Amazon Japan routinely offering games at 20-25% off can't be helping download sales much. There's certainly the crowd that'll go for instant downloads, but it certainly kills the notion that downloadables are a good deal.

Some other recent rumored/hinted Vita announcements I could see would be Tales of Hearts R (implied in Innocence R, recent western trademark) and LBX-2 (L5 RPG already announced, sequel rumors recently).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Until Sony lowers the price and makes Vita accessible to kids I don't see Level 5 moving LBX there, at least not exclusively.

I understand, but i remember that the exact same discussion about 3DS games in the begining. But only time will tell what happens with Vita =)

Uhm... No.
3DS before the launch had some pretty big games already announced, from both third parties (Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, Professor Layton 5, Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright) and internal (Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, etc.). PSVita does not have any of those if we speak about sales potential.

test_account

XP-39C²
Uhm... No.
3DS before the launch had some pretty big games already announced, from both third parties (Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, Professor Layton 5, Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright) and internal (Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, etc.). PSVita does not have any of those if we speak about sales potential.
I mean the talk of "3DS needs software!", there was a lot talk about this months ago. But it doesnt really matter much in my opinion, games like MHTriG was announced less than 3 months before it was released.

I'm still a little surprised Nintendo held on to Monhunaton as long as they did. Maybe it took that long to iron out exclusivity though, given the 3rd HD Vita rumors.

muu

I mean the talk of "3DS needs software!", there was a lot talk about this months ago. But it doesnt really matter much in my opinion, games like MHTriG was announced less than 3 months before it was released.

So you're basing your optimism on a potential for a megaton announcement coming just months before release at a future date? Let's not forget, it's typical Nintendo to not announce titles or really show it off till 3 months before release. Sony typically doesn't seem to have a problem showing their wares months, sometimes years before it's about to be completed or released.

donny2112

Pretty decently as a whole.

pspsalesrr0v7.png

The problem I see is a similar problem the Wii had. Mid-tier games without the umbrella games to build support that allows the mid-tier games to sell. I don't think anyone would try to postulate that PSP 1/2 would've sold anywhere near that much without Monster Hunter building the exact base there in the first place. The Phantasy Star Online type playing had been an < 200K series in the previous generation on consoles. Now, yes, I'm sure a lot of people went to PSVita expecting to have more of the MH PSP type experience, so I think it'll probably be > 200K LTD. However, it shouldn't approach the sales it got on PSP.

More support is good for Vita, but just having some support is not enough, if it's not the right support, as Wii saw.

To be fair, Monster Hunter PSP kind of came out of no where to be the systems killer app, perhaps Vita it could be Phantasy Star or another title like it that blows up the system in Japan.

Until Sony lowers the price and makes Vita accessible to kids I don't see Level 5 moving LBX there, at least not exclusively.
I agree, but I could also see multiplatform (PSP, 3DS and/or Vita). I really can't see what else Level 5's RPG could be though, Inazuma Eleven and Ghoul Watch would run into similar userbase/audience problems and Ninokuni was probably killed by PS3.

As for 3DS, the talk was more about "Nintendo, release the game you announced a year ago!" more than "3DS needs more announcements". 3DS has always had potential big sellers; Nintendo games are part of the cake but also some third party efforts such as Level-5 titles or Kingdom Hearts and Resident Evil. Then, also Monster Hunter was announced, but we knew the certain existence of many games. Vita's situazione is totally different. In Japan, the biggest title is Final Fantasy X, sales-wise, which probably won't come out until the end of the year. And it's not a sure million seller like Mario Kart.

magash

To be fair, Monster Hunter PSP kind of came out of no where to be the systems killer app, perhaps Vita it could be Phantasy Star or another title like it that blows up the system in Japan.

Not at the price of admission. Vita needs games + a price cut.

The odds of a title unexpectedly blowing up to MH proportions are vanishingly small, and are no higher on Vita than on 3DS or any other platform.

To put that in perspective, neither PS2 nor DS played host to a single new multimillion-selling franchise from a publisher other than Nintendo. The fact that PSP did, despite having a significantly smaller userbase than either, is basically a miracle that isn't likely to be repeated on Vita or anywhere else this gen.

The problem is that... Phenomena as Monster Hunter are difficult to create ex-novo, and they're not predictable at all. And, as far as I know, Nintendo has always been the biggest actor in this sense, just check DS million seller list.

There is a difference between "the system needs software that is coming" and "the system needs software that isn't coming."

The Vita is the latter at the moment. But March 9th may shift it over to the former. Hopefully Sony has a short term plan in addition to a long term one, or these sales threads will start resembling a skipping record.

Not at the price of admission. Vita needs games + a price cut.

Depends on Sony's long term strategy for the system. A price cut would do no good if the games are six months out. If they get a few games like Phantasy Star out within a few months, Sony would be better off barreling forward until they have the capability to be aggressive again.

muu

The problem I see is a similar problem the Wii had. Mid-tier games without the umbrella games to build support that allows the mid-tier games to sell. I don't think anyone would try to postulate that PSP 1/2 would've sold anywhere near that much without Monster Hunter building the exact base there in the first place. The Phantasy Star Online type playing had been an < 200K series in the previous generation on consoles. Now, yes, I'm sure a lot of people went to PSVita expecting to have more of the MH PSP type experience, so I think it'll probably be > 200K LTD. However, it shouldn't approach the sales it got on PSP.

More support is good for Vita, but just having some support is not enough, if it's not the right support, as Wii saw.

The Wii had third party support? I'd say it's the exact opposite situation: Nintendo titles selling like gangbusters, a few major core titles like MH3 and Xenoblade, but 95% of third party support was on PSP (in Japan)/DS/PS3/360, and the halfassed attempts at Wii games by most of the publishers were ignored both by the casuals that didnt know such games existed and by the core who apparently didn't see enough titles worth purchasing.

The one parallel I do see is the Japanese 360 situation. Hardware situation may not be as dire as 360 but word of mouth from twitter's probably done similar damage; games-wise, 360 had a similar run with OMG JRPG RUSH which didn't really net a consistent user base.

I dont know if anyone in Japan is like me, but, if they are, changing the sticks is a must. They are quite frankly worse than the nub or slider.

The Wii had third party support? I'd say it's the exact opposite situation: Nintendo titles selling like gangbusters, a few major core titles like MH3 and Xenoblade, but 95% of third party support was on PSP (in Japan)/DS/PS3/360, and the halfassed attempts at Wii games by most of the publishers were ignored both by the casuals that didnt know such games existed and by the core who apparently didn't see enough titles worth purchasing.

The one parallel I do see is the Japanese 360 situation. Hardware situation may not be as dire as 360 but word of mouth from twitter's probably done similar damage; games-wise, 360 had a similar run with OMG JRPG RUSH which didn't really net a consistent user base.

Pretty much.
Sales-wise, Wii had a shitty third party support in Japan.
The few really good games were niche products (Little King's Story, Mad World, Muramasa, The Sky Crawlers) which would have not sold a lot elsewhere.

There are pretty big examples in the behaviour of software houses towards Wii, btw.
-Dragon Quest Swords sold a lot (mre than +500k) and we have not seen a sequel (maybe with WM+) or something mre jRPG-esque, like a Dragon Quest Monsters or a spin-off in the vein of Yangus on PS2. We have seen the porting of the arcade game, though.
-Resident Evil 4 sold really well for being the third or fourth entry, and Umbrella Chronicles as well... What's next? Another on-rail shooter?
-Soul Calibur Legends, Castlevania Judgement, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles The Crysyal Bearers, Gundam 0079... All attempts that looked like B-titles as to say "we are on Wii!".

donny2112

-Soul Calibur Legends, Castlevania Judgement, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles The Crysyal Bearers, Gundam 0079... All attempts that looked like B-titles as to say "we are on Wii!".

Yeah, these. Soul Calibur Legends was specifically in my mind. If this is the kind of support Vita gets, it's not going to help, as shown on Wii.

Wii did get a decent 3rd party push in 2009, but it was way too late by that point and the market for those sorts of core games (Musou, Tales, etc) had been seeded years earlier on PSP/PS3. Wii needed the sort of early commitment 3DS is getting for that sort of stuff, games like RER or KH3D are what Wii needed in it's formative years.

guek

Banned
Vita just needs a constant stream of games. Aside from the mighty triumvirate, 3DS is getting or has already gotten

Kid Icarus
Kingdom Hearts
Theater Heaven
RE:R
DQ:Slime
Heroes of Ruin
Love+
Harvest Moon
Fire Emblem
Mario Tennis
Rune Factory
Etrian Odyssey IV

That's just for the first half of the year too. We know we're going to get at least Luigi's Mansion, Bravely Default, and Paper Mario in the second half. None of those, with the possible exception of Kingdom Hearts, are going to set the charts on fire or are likely to break a million units in Japan, but they represent a really steady stream of mid to high quality titles that people want. Each of those games will sell at least a few people a console. Then there are the big hitters this year like Animal Crossing, MH4, a possible new 2D mario, and whatever else is announced at E3.

If at any point in its lifetime the Vita can secure a steady stream of mid tier games, I'm absolutely confident it can find a good deal of success. A handful of games here and there just isn't going to cut it. Sony really needs to convince people on the 9th that they've got major plans for a constant stream of games. They really, really need to pour it on.

Road

On a tangent, but I'll post it before I forget.

Prediction League March 05 - 11

Deadline:
t1331125200z1.png

- Any entry missing MC Top20 will be taken out of the predictions.

[3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai -
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam UC -
[PS3] Street Fighter X Tekken -
[3DS] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D -
[3DS] Girls RPG: Cinderella Life -

Then you can predict after you decided if Sony Direct will be just disappointing or disappointing and sad.

Spiegel

[3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai - 135000
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam UC - 24000
[PS3] Street Fighter X Tekken - 29000
[3DS] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D - 12000
[3DS] Girls RPG: Cinderella Life - 6000

Yeshua

[3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai - 120.000
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam UC - 80.000
[PS3] Street Fighter X Tekken - 35.000
[3DS] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D - 20.000
[3DS] Girls RPG: Cinderella Life - 40.000

[3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai - 90000
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam UC - 75000
[PS3] Street Fighter X Tekken - 20000
[3DS] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D - 15000
[3DS] Girls RPG: Cinderella Life - 35000

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That said, I feel perceived quality is something that will greatly matter when determining Phantasy Star Victory's sales potential.

I would say that an upgraded version of Phantasy Star Portable 2 would have a lot less draw than a game derived from Phantasy Star Online 2, which makes a ton of large, good looking changes to the series.

If people look at the game and say "this is a game that couldn't be done on PSP", that's very helpful relative to a lot of Vita titles.

donny2112

[3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai - 100K
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam UC - 150K
[PS3] Street Fighter X Tekken - 75K
[3DS] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D - 25K
[3DS] Girls RPG: Cinderella Life - 45K

PREDICTIONS
[3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai - 93,000
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam UC - 183,000
[PS3] Street Fighter X Tekken - 65,000
[3DS] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D - 20,000
[3DS] Girls RPG: Cinderella Life - 25,000

[3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai - 88,888
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam UC - 77,777
[PS3] Street Fighter X Tekken - 33,333
[3DS] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D - 11,111
[3DS] Girls RPG: Cinderella Life - 22,222

Salvadora

[3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai - 110K
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam UC - 170K
[PS3] Street Fighter X Tekken - 90K
[3DS] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D - 20K
[3DS] Girls RPG: Cinderella Life - 30K

test_account

XP-39C²
As for 3DS, the talk was more about "Nintendo, release the game you announced a year ago!" more than "3DS needs more announcements". 3DS has always had potential big sellers; Nintendo games are part of the cake but also some third party efforts such as Level-5 titles or Kingdom Hearts and Resident Evil. Then, also Monster Hunter was announced, but we knew the certain existence of many games. Vita's situazione is totally different. In Japan, the biggest title is Final Fantasy X, sales-wise, which probably won't come out until the end of the year. And it's not a sure million seller like Mario Kart.
Fair point, i just remember that people were "screaming" for 3DS software, just like what happen to Vita now. I also remember the "3DS needs Monster Hunter" talk, so it wasnt just "wait for Mario Kart" etc.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

I don't know what's the other magic title that will become the new Monster Hunter on Vita but if Phantasy Star Portable didn't explode on PSP it won't explode anywhere.

[3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai - 140K
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam UC - 130K
[PS3] Street Fighter X Tekken - 28K
[3DS] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D - 32K
[3DS] Girls RPG: Cinderella Life - 40K

Personally I feel that the Souls games could be big on handheld. It would be a very smart decision for Sony to get a Demons Souls Portable for Vita.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't know what's the other magic title that will become the new Monster Hunter on Vita but if Phantasy Star Portable didn't explode on PSP it won't explode anywhere.

Phantasy Star never exploded because Phantasy Star is rife with gameplay issues.

That people are still buying it at the 500K level puts it as a franchise with potential.

I feel it's generally a bad idea to 100% write in or write off a series without considering what the actual product is first.

This is also how games that tank like Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Inazuma Eleven 4 tend to surprise people.

Brand strength neither for certain caps a product nor guarantees it sustainable success.

I'm not saying that PSV will be a breakout hit, or that it will tank, just that it's a franchise in a place where it has a lot of potential to head in either direction.

What they show in the 8th will be quite revealing.

jonno394

Personally I feel that the Souls games could be big on handheld. It would be a very smart decision for Sony to get a Demons Souls Portable for Vita.

Seeing as Dark Souls was a multiformat console title, I feel it would take a considerable bag of money from Sony to get FROM to make an exclusive Vita sequel to the original.

Judging by how bad Dark Souls trundled along on the PS3 at points, i'd dread to think what a handheld version would be like....

edit - Predictions

[3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai - 90k
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam UC - 175k
[PS3] Street Fighter X Tekken - 40k
[3DS] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D - 29k
[3DS] Girls RPG: Cinderella Life - 50k

Fair point, i just remember that people were "screaming" for 3DS software, just like what happen to Vita now. I also remember the "3DS needs Monster Hunter" talk, so it wasnt just "wait for Mario Kart" etc.

People simply underestimated the powerness of Nintendo franchises. Mario Kart would have been a sales juggernaut, no matter any potential issue relating to hardware performance. But also Mario, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, Nintendogs.

What Vita games should people wait, sales-wise?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Phantasy Star Zero was also a nightmare from when I tried to play it.

I think that Phantasy star could be well developed and well received on 3ds, up to now (end of this year?) in Japan, both for 3ds hardware capabilities (graphic, online, streetpass) AND MHtriG presence and perfomances that surely helped in creating a good fanbase for that kind of software.

Not port begging at all, here! Just a consideration!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think that Phantasy star could be well developed and well received on 3ds, up to now (end of this year?) in Japan, both for 3ds hardware capabilities (graphic, online, streetpass) AND MHtriG presence and perfomances that surely helped in creating a good fanbase for that kind of software.

Not port begging at all, here! Just a consideration!

Generally speaking, anything in a sales thread is not considered port begging, don't worry.

Top Bottom