• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2013 (Feb 18 - Feb 24)

Afrit

Problem is, you can get the title for free on PCs and smartphones. Never got why this particular title is somehow celebrated as Vita saviour.

Oh I forgot it's also on smartphones,

Still IMO, (portability + physical control + touchscreen control) is what makes the vita version a decent companion to PC version. But saleswise..not really

From what I understand phone version is more of a companion app and vita has some (not all) content specific to it's version. PC is definitely the main platform.need to mention free as a problem for Vita).

So, smartphone version can't play online with pc version.

Sure that. But what is more likely? People owning smartphones/PC or Vita?

From what I understand phone version is more of a companion app and vita has some (not all) content specific to it's version. PC is definitely the main platform.

Your comment seemed to me that free elsewhere vs having a cost on Vita was the problem. Since it's also free on Vita i would say the fact that it is available elsewhere at all would be the factor (unless thats what you are getting at but then there would be no need to mention free as a problem for Vita).

If they can support it as something that is a quality companion to the PC version it might do well but I think thats a pretty big if.

Well, I think what many people are missing is that it's an online MMORPG, not like the previous PS:portables which were local co-op games (albeit also with online multiplayer).

Presumably a lot of the advantage of playing a game like that on a portable is negated, when you have to go through servers to play with someone else you are right next to, instead of just using ad-hoc.

But who knows? I think this is somewhat uncharted territory. There have been MMORPGs on consoles, but I don't think there have been on portables.

That's why I asked how many people downloaded it, and actually they are currently playing it. I said that Japanese are reluctant because if they still prefer to buy the retail version at more than 4000 yen (regardless the genre, we will see of course a decline with respect to the PSP series), instead of relying on the f2p available on the store...

test_account

XP-39C²
Problem is, you can get the title for free on PCs and smartphones. Never got why this particular title is somehow celebrated as Vita saviour.

Sure that. But what is more likely? People owning smartphones/PC or Vita?
The Smartphone game is not the same game. Unless things changed over the last months, as far as i know the smartphone version is more of a companion game and more about single player, not a MMORPG.

I dont think many people have said that PSO2 is a Vita savior, only that it is a nice addition to the Vita game library.

lupin23rd

Maybe it's me being a moron, but was PSO2 being free to download heavily advertised?

I knew it was f2p but assumed until last week that this meant just free to play online, you'd still have to buy it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Why did sales age analysis and predictions turn into fanboys analysis and predictions? How about everyone STFU about the latter?

duckroll

Maybe it's me being a moron, but was PSO2 being free to download heavily advertised?

I knew it was f2p but assumed until last week that this meant just free to play online, you'd still have to buy it.

Yes, everyone who is actually interested in the game knows it's free. :p

noobie

Banned
Why did sales age analysis and predictions turn into fanboys analysis and predictions? How about everyone STFU about the latter?

you cant stop the analysis and that is the reason for forums.. if you want someone to give permission to write to anyone who wants to share his/her opinion then you should be reading gaming magzine with ur fav writers..

Celestial

Banned

I am not sure if there are many fanboys in Media-Create threads but there are many that want VITA to fail.Wii U is getting same or worse numbers than Vita had at this point and you dont see half the hatred.The only thing that you read is that it will turn the situation like 3DS and it will reach PS2 sales in Japan as soon as the games are start to releasing.Maybe they cant understand that a handheld and a console are 2 completely different things......

I am not sure if there are many fanboys in Media-Create threads but there are many that want VITA to fail.Wii U is getting same or worse numbers than Vita had at this point and you dont see half the hatred.The only thing that you read is that it will turn the situation like 3DS and it will reach PS2 sales in Japan as soon as the games are start to releasing.Maybe they cant understand that a handheld and a console are 2 completely different things......

I never read such a bold prediction.

I read it.I am not rembering if it was in Gaf though but i am pretty sure it has been implied here too.Take a look from all the Media Create threads after WiiU launched or a little before and you will understand.

Well what did you think these threads are for lol. Only fanboys use sales as a way to boast about their console and its superiority. Real gamers just play the games they want to play.

Nintendo fanboys want the Vita to fail and vice versa. Its a thing thats been going on for years.

I admit though there are many people here who are genuinely interested in how the gaming industry operates and seeing how each game sells is fascinating especially in countries where cultures are so different like Japan.

Laguna

Banned
Well what did you think these threads are for lol. Only fanboys use sales as a way to boast about their console and its superiority. Real gamers just play the games they want to play.

Nintendo fanboys want the Vita to fail and vice versa. Its a thing thats been going on for years.

I admit though there are many people here who are genuinely interested in how the gaming industry operates and seeing how each game sells is fascinating especially in countries where cultures are so different like Japan.

Now stating the obvious somehow became wishing PSV to fail? I´m really concerned by your persecution complex because PSV is regarded to do very bad by most not biased people as well not only other fans, that´s because even Dreamcast sold better in the same timeframe be it hardware-wise but especially in th software department.

@Celestine
Do you actually read Media Create threads? Everyone says that WiiUs sales are pretty unhealthy and saying that million selling franchises might boost sales is just common sense. Also I doubt there was any comment that WiiU will sell like PS2.

But as disapointing WiiU sales are PSV did even worse in the same timeframe.

12th week:
PSV 600k
WiiU 800k

It didn´t even suffice to be a handheld.

To conclud my post. I´m positive that PSV will have it´s best selling non holiday period from March-June since launch, due to the price-drop and software release schedule.

come on guys... This is really getting ridiculous...

I am not sure if there are many fanboys in Media-Create threads but there are many that want VITA to fail.Wii U is getting same or worse numbers than Vita had at this point and you dont see half the hatred.
This is one thing i do not understand. Wiiu gets it's fair share of hatred but it's not even close to the hatred that vita receives. I think people just dislike Sony and not necessarilynecessarily the actual product. 599$ still stings.
I never read such a bold prediction.
It was in a media create thread not too long ago. I remember metalslimer heavily disagreeing too.

Celestial

Banned
Now stating the obvious somehow became wishing PSV to fail? I´m really concerned by your persecution complex because PSV is regarded to do very bad by most not biased people as well not only other fans, that´s because even Dreamcast sold better in the same timeframe be it hardware-wise but especially in th software department.

I never said that.What i said is that people started the whole ''Vita is doomed'' and other things waaayyyy early while with WiiU they are all like ''nah the system will be just fine just wait for this and that and then BANG!!''.Too me it became obvious that Vita wont have a good lifecycle after TGS.Also why do you bring Dreamcast up?I can bring Dreamcast too and say that at this time it had better numbers than WiiU in USA and maybe worldwide(i am not so sure about the last one).One thing is for sure that the systems are selling very bad.

@Celestine
Do you actually read Media Create threads? Everyone says that WiiUs sales are pretty unhealthy and saying that million selling franchises might boost sales is just common sense. Also I doubt there was any comment that WiiU will sell like PS2.

But as disapointing WiiU sales are PSV did even worse in the same timeframe.

12th week:
PSV 600k
WiiU 800k

It didn´t even suffice to be a handheld.

To conclud my post. I´m positive that PSV will have it´s best selling non holiday period from March-June since launch, due to the price-drop and software release schedule.

First of all my nickname is Celestial :p
Second i said that either WiiU is selling like Vita or worse.It seems that it was the first.Do you think that 200k will do such a big difference?

Also Vita fall under 10k after 17 weeks in the market while WiiU fell this week under 10k and has 12 weeks in the market

I just point it out since you are like to be precise with the numbers.

EDIT:Also because you are writing about how people are talking about obvious and common sense and you also doubt my comment that many are stating tha WiiU will sell better than PS2 in Japan take a look at what you wrote in this thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48790254&postcount=1327
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48728814&postcount=1185

You are 100%sure not even predicting that NSMBU will outsell every PS3 and PS4 game.Predicting that WiiU will be next console of Japan easily at his point?

This doesnt sound to me like common sense or stating the obvious.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/05/soul-sacrifice-includes-30-day-playstation-plus-trial-in-japan/

As mentioned before, buy Soul Sacrifice and get 30 days of PSN+.

I didn't know about this:

Sony will also release Soul Sacrifice on a network download cards which contains a code you can redeem for the game.

MrNW4ei.jpg
Is this a first for Sony?

Usobuko

Banned
Second i said that either WiiU is selling like Vita or worse.It seems that it was the first.Do you think that 200k will do such a big difference?

Also Vita fall under 10k after 17 weeks in the market while WiiU fell this week under 10k and has 12 weeks in the market

I just point it out since you are like to be precise with the numbers.

Most people, including me, expect Wii U to pick up. Wii U has the backing of their own multi-millions selling franchises compared to Sony's Vita. The question should be, to what extent? There lies the possibility of Nintendo 1st party losing its lacklustre. With Wii, there's the novelty of motion-gaming, people are willing to pay the price for this new experience supported by Nintendo's 1st party. Wii U's gamepad wasn't an incentive enough for them to take the plunge.

It's never that easy to speculate and I think people should be braced for some disappointment, Nintendo 1st party may only achieved a small fraction of sales comparatively with the Wii U. Of course it's not an indication of their quality, it's just that it is locked behind the price of the console. Also, I wish both Nintendo fans and Sony fans would get along.

Shahed

Sony would have been smarter spending all of this money they are blowing on Soul Sacrifice to get God Eater 2 Vita exclusive.

Well I guess after Monster Hunter jumped ship, they could never guarantee God Eater wouldn't in the future. It may be too little too late, but you can't blame them for wanting to push something they have full control over instead

Sony would have been smarter spending all of this money they are blowing on Soul Sacrifice to get God Eater 2 Vita exclusive.
I think they should have did both. I think they should have made that one piece game a timed exclusive as well. One piece pirate warrior 2 a vita timed exclusive with a orange one piece special edition vita bundle.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/05/soul-sacrifice-includes-30-day-playstation-plus-trial-in-japan/

As mentioned before, buy Soul Sacrifice and get 30 days of PSN+.

I didn't know about this:

Is this a first for Sony?
Didn't they do that with PSPgo? I know they did it in america.

noobie

Banned
So with no PS VITA Numbers and its end of tuesday.. Should we expect PS VITA didnt do any impressive numbers.. otherwise Famitsu or Media Create must have given out the numbers after the PRICE CUT by now

Well if they get the ball rollin' with SS then at least that's something that would be their own. SS may not be the game but it's about time SCEJ starts creating new high profile IPs that they can always bank on.

Laguna

Banned
I never said that.What i said is that people started the whole ''Vita is doomed'' and other things waaayyyy early while with WiiU they are all like ''nah the system will be just fine just wait for this and that and then BANG!!''.Too me it became obvious that Vita wont have a good lifecycle after TGS.Also why do you bring Dreamcast up?I can bring Dreamcast too and say that at this time it had better numbers than WiiU in USA and maybe worldwide(i am not so sure about the last one).One thing is for sure that the systems are selling very bad.

I quoted and answered PsychoMantis with the first half of my post. Also I mentioned Dreamcast because it seemed that he thought the criticism of PSVs sales performance is unwarranted and just something that fans of other systems do, while in truth PSVs bad sales actually are acknowledged and mentioned by every informed and not biased gamer.

Again there is nothing wrong in saying million selling franchises might boost WiiUs sales, this doesn´t mean it will beat Wiis sales performance. Also please compare of what kind of sales potential the supposed software releases actually could have.

In PSVs first year games like MGS Collection, Persona4 and Miku have been highlighted as games that will push hardware, the best selling ones are games that barely sold over 200k units, obviously there is quite a difference between these games and games like a potential Mario Kart.

Therefore there is a notable difference.

hiska-kun

My heart is warmed.

So, you're the only one that is pointing that the right translation is the two last weeks x4. I've been discussing with a friend about the translation and he said that is just two weeks ago.

I believe you, but all the blogs and other translations are saying another thing. So could you please show where is the misunderstanding?

Also, I wish both Nintendo fans and Sony fans would get along.

There is a reason why no one talks about 360 in Japan anymore in these topics.

As long as there are 2 sides that have different opinions, you'll have your reasoned debates, good arguments, and a whole of people embarrassing themselves.

Until the outcome is crystal clear, I suggest we continue to try to make the discuss good and ignore people that project and have persecution complexes.

I think we all will now where vita will stand in the next 2 months. After that we can move on to Wii U and the PS4 launch. Hopefully Vita will make it.

Laguna

Banned
EDIT:Also because you are writing about how people are talking about obvious and common sense and you also doubt my comment that many are stating tha WiiU will sell better than PS2 in Japan take a look at what you wrote in this thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48790254&postcount=1327
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48728814&postcount=1185

You are 100%sure not even predicting that NSMBU will outsell every PS3 and PS4 game.Predicting that WiiU will be next console of Japan easily at his point?

This doesnt sound to me like common sense or stating the obvious.

Obviously you are confusing the higly successful PS2 with PS3 and the not yet released PS4. Regarding NSMBU, yes I think it´s highly likely it will get there, on PS3 only FFXIII sold a quantity that will take some years to surpass but I´m positive it will reach that benchmark eventually, while all other PS3 software likely will be surpassed by the end of 2014. It might be too early to judge PS4 but I think it´s realistic to expect that FF will be again at around 2milion units at best and that it isn´t likely that any other PS4 software will outsell Final Fantasy in Japan.

Woah there cowboy.

I never said that using facts is similar to wishing the failure of PSV.

My post wasn't specifically targeted at anyone just the tendencies of fanboys on either side.

Persecution complex???? Do you understand what this means....I don't see how this has any relation?

I am guessing you misunderstood me. You must have thought that in my previous post I was referring to all the posters who were downplaying the Vita as nintendo fanboys. That was not what I was saying.

I don't need anyone to tell me how bad PSV is doing. I can see it with my own two eyes with all the sales data on these threads. In fact I would argue that someone who does not think that PSV is doing bad is delusional.

Obviously you are confusing the higly successful PS2 with PS3 and the not yet released PS4. Regarding NSMBU, yes I think it´s highly likely it will get there, on PS3 only FFXIII sold a quantity that will take some years to surpass but I´m positive it will reach that benchmark eventually, while all other PS3 software likely will be surpassed by the end of 2014. It might be too early to judge PS4 but I think it´s realistic to expect that FF will be again at around 2milion units at best and that it isn´t likely that any other PS4 software will outsell Final Fantasy in Japan.

Making a statement that NSMBU will outsell any PS4 is crazy. We know nothing about the PS4's software selling power and its Japanese support.
Your statement might make more sense if it was under the assumption that PS4 will be like PS3 software wise.

We know the WiiU is no Wii. NSMBU has sold 468,000 so far. Lets assume that the PS4's best selling game is FF and assume its LTD is 2,000,000
Lets also assume that the WiiU will be on sale in Japan for another 5 years. Therefore it would need to average 306,400 a year. We have no idea if that is viable at this point in time. Are the legs of NSMBU going to be like previous NSMB's. I don't know but to make it seem like a fact that NSMBU will outsell all other ps3/4 software is premature.

You seemed to have corrected that with your most recent post saying 'highly likely' instead of 'will'. I agree it is highly likely.

Also I find it frankly laughable that you think that the WiiU will be Japan's primary console easily when its struggling to find decent third party support and its sales are wondering below 10k. Dismissing the PS4 also seems far too early as we don't even know the price nor the offerings.

Laguna

Banned
Woah there cowboy.

I never said that using facts is similar to wishing the failure of PSV.

My post wasn't specifically targeted at anyone just the tendencies of fanboys on either side.

Persecution complex???? Do you understand what this means....I don't see how this has any relation?

I am guessing you misunderstood me. You must have thought that in my previous post I was referring to all the posters who were downplaying the Vita as nintendo fanboys. That was not what I was saying.

I don't need anyone to tell me how bad PSV is doing. I can see it with my own two eyes with all the sales data on these threads. In fact I would argue that someone who does not think that PSV is doing bad is delusional.

Can you quote some of these posts you are talking about? Because it seems you think anyone with a certain console preference and also dares to talk about bad sales wishes PSV to die.

Celestial

Banned

I am not confusing anything.Overall i think you are confusing WiiU with 3DS and you expect a same turn-around for it.You cant compare a console with a handheld neither the console games with the handhelds games even if we are talking about the same franchise.

Jonnyram

Vita's sales for the week are more likely to be 40-50k than 80k+. Don't know what you guys were smoking when you all jumped on board the "4 times two weeks of sales" idea.

Spiegel

Then sales will drop below 10k again before the end of the month and the price cut was pointless, if that's the best a new color, new bundle, two big (Vita big) releases and 5000Y/10000Y drop can do.

Top Bottom