• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2013 (Feb 18 - Feb 24)

I know it's f2p on the digital store but still. I think expectations were a bit higher, no? It was one of the game accompanying the price cut.

Why would a F2P play game sell even this much is the real question.

Seriously. How much does the cart cost? Couldnt you use that money to buy a bigger card (16gig or more) that could hold the free digital game AND a bunch of other games.

Why would you expect a F2P game to sell well?

test_account

XP-39C²
I know it's f2p on the digital store but still. I think expectations were a bit higher, no? It was one of the game accompanying the price cut.
It depends on how many people who wanted to spend ~5000 yen on the retail version. Hard to say how many who think it was enough to get the free digital download version only.

I'm surprised that over 50k people bought the retail Vita version, also concidering that the game is available for PC (which is pretty much the home of MMORPG games).

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I wonder if all the work Capcom has been putting into getting MH3G/U up to snuff for the west and patched into the japanese version has literally had an effect on WiiU hardware sales since it has on software. Maybe some fence sitters pulled in by the added features.

Why would the expectations be higher? It's free, and the cart version just means you don't have to install the entire game + you get a few free goodies.

I'm actually really shocked it sold that much, all things considered.

Maedhros

Up next: Soul Sacrifice.

I am already looking forward to it.

Between 120 and 150k for it. New IP and all... even with all the pushing Sony is doing I can't see numbers bigger than that. But I hope the IP is solid and it reasonates with the japanese public as MH didi, so it can continue selling well. Basically, I want to see if it does have legs.

4Gamer isn't loading for me, but I'm assuming MC is above 10K for Wii U as Famitsu still has it under.

A hold and a raise, not bad for no software week.

Vita, smack in the middle of lowballing and highballing. Soul Sacrifice isn't going to sustain it, back to sub-10K in a few weeks I imagine.

Mr Swine

Banned
I wonder if Sony is happy or not. Maybe Sony won't drop the price on Vita in EU or USA this year if they get similar sales and they will only lose money on it if it doesn't sell better

test_account

XP-39C²
4Gamer isn't loading for me, but I'm assuming MC is above 10K for Wii U as Famitsu still has it under.

A hold and a raise, not bad for no software week.

Vita, smack in the middle of lowballing and highballing.
Yep, it is just barely over 10k in Media Create, with WiiU at 10,021. Full list here:

Vita 62,543
3DS LL 50,265
3DS 27,174
PS3 25,725
PSP 11,171
Wii U 10,021
Wii 1,383
Xbox 360 486

http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20130306062

DaBoss

wrowa

I guess this really is the last Layton as we know it. Sales aren't bad, but they are a far cry from what it once was. No signs of relieve either.

At least Inazuma Eleven is still doing good.

I'm surprised that the WiiU managed to drag itself over the 10k line this week. makes you wonder what the numbers would be like with actual software releases.

Vita getting a big boost from the price cut. I'm curious to see where the numbers are going to stabilize at.

Yeah its an interesting outcome for Vita. Did OK.

The price drop was for what? 4 days of the week.
I think with SS being released next week will be even more interesting to see what happens.

Depends how many people are waiting for a SS bundle I would imagine.... I would assume there will be one.

duckroll

Dude, it's 5225yen for a bunch of microtransaction stuff. 61k in sales is over 3 million dollars in basically just DLC crap for a f2p game right out of the gate. You think expectations should be higher? Lol.

I think with SS being released next week will be even more interesting to see what happens.

Depends how many people are waiting for a SS bundle I would imagine.... I would assume there will be one.

There is a bundle. Limited edition unit etc.

This is the last Layton game isn't it? The numbers would suggest that it is indeed time to stop.

I thought they were resting it for a bit after Miracle Mask, but no, Layton x Ace Attorney and Azran Legacies in the space of a few months.

Level 5 are so bad at maintaining their properties.

Maedhros

I wonder if Sony is happy or not. Maybe Sony won't drop the price on Vita in EU or USA this year if they get similar sales and they will only lose money on it if it doesn't sell better

I'm sure they'll drop the price later this year. And hopefully, announce the HDMI accessory.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I think the thing is the price drop happened unofficially in a lot of stores, so it was probably a bit more that 3 days.

Why would the expectations be higher? It's free, and the cart version just means you don't have to install the entire game + you get a few free goodies.

I'm actually really shocked it sold that much, all things considered.

It depends on how many people who wanted to spend ~5000 yen on the retail version. Hard to say how many who think it was enough to get the free digital download version only.

I'm surprised that over 50k people bought the retail Vita version, also concidering that the game is available for PC (which is pretty much the home of MMORPG games).

Why would a F2P play game sell even this much is the real question.

Seriously. How much does the cart cost? Couldnt you use that money to buy a bigger card (16gig or more) that could hold the free digital game AND a bunch of other games.

Why would you expect a F2P game to sell well?

I had higher expectations because it's true that it was available on the store as a f2p game but Japanese people do still like to buy physical copies. Also it does not cost 5000 yen but more around 4000 yen, so it was a bugdet release in Japan. Also: does f2p means that it was completely free? Because if many contents must be purchased anyway, being a MMORPG, the cost of the retail version might be justified. Also: many people reported anecdotal evidence on how PSO2 was selling and in some stores was the second best selling game. Also: was there also a bundle? Also: it was released the week of the price cut, when generally people buy something. I mean, ok it is a f2p game, but there were reasons, many reasons, to think it could have done better.

Edit: it costs 5229 yen but I saw a 4200 yen version around. My point still stands.

levitan

Between 120 and 150k for it. New IP and all... even with all the pushing Sony is doing I can't see numbers bigger than that. But I hope the IP is solid and it reasonates with the japanese public as MH didi, so it can continue selling well. Basically, I want to see if it does have legs.

Here in HK today the game breaks the street date. From what I saw people are going crazy about it and I also saw some queuing up. I can see a lot of people have really been anticipating the game. I hope it will do well, otherwise...

Artemisia

Banned
I guess this really is the last Layton as we know it. Sales aren't bad, but they are a far cry from what it once was. No signs of relieve either.

How does layton fare in the west, though?

Isn't it pretty popular in the US and some countries in Europe?

Hero

I guess decent numbers for Vita? Kind of worrying that it couldn't even outsell the 3DS in the week of the price drop.

squall23

Well to be fair, IEGo is doing relatively "good" to the recent Layton games, but just like Layton, IE in general isn't as grand as what it used to be either.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The real star again is Animal Crossing New Leaf.....this game just doest give a damn about new games being released or what so ever.

I think the thing is the price drop happened unofficially in a lot of stores, so it was probably a bit more that 3 days.

Thats true.

I think I'm just mostly interested in seeing if SS can be the next break out hit a lot of people are hoping it will be.

As said above there is a LE SS bundle coming so if it is a break out hit that could do a lot of Vita numbers. However if not........ backinthecoffin.gif.

Maedhros

Here in HK today the game breaks the street date. From what I saw people are going crazy about it and I also saw some queuing up. I can see a lot of people have really been anticipating the game. I hope it will do well, otherwise...

That's great! I'm hoping for the best too, but I'm not getting my horses too much ahead of me... Personally, I'm excited as fuck for the game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I guess decent numbers for Vita? Kind of worrying that it couldn't even outsell the 3DS in the week of the price drop.

I think that this tell us the most important thing about Vita, honestly.
New colors, price cut and "interesting" games (I don't know how many of the actually existing Vita games can aim to sell hugely more than Senran Kagura) set those numbers.
Numbers that are good, but lower than a normal 3DS week, and not so HUGE in general terms.

test_account

XP-39C²
I had higher expectations because it's true that it was available on the store as a f2p game but Japanese people do still like to buy physical copies. Also it does not cost 5000 yen but more around 4000 yen, so it was a bugdet release in Japan. Also: does f2p means that it was completely free? Because if many contents must be purchased anyway, being a MMORPG, the cost of the retail version might be justified. Also: many people reported anecdotal evicende on how PSO2 was selling and in some stores was the second best selling gale. Also: was there also a bundle? Also: it was released the week of the price cut, when generally people buy something. I mean, ok it is a f2p game, but there were reasons, many reasons, to think it could have done better.

Edit: it costs 5229 yen but I saw a 4200 yen version around. My point still stands.
Japan has been much more open to digital download recently. We've seen that with ~700k copies sold of Animal Crossing for example. PSO case is also a different case because there is the option to get it for free or pay 5k yen (although you get more DLC stuff when buying the retail version). It is not just a choice between owning the retail or digital download version.

The 4200 yen is probably Amazon price. They discount every single game.

EDIT: Yeah, it has a bundle, but it is not for the 5k yen version as far as i know. I think the bundle includes DLC for about 1000 yen. I dont know if Famitsu and Media Create includes this bundle in their PSO2 number.

I had higher expectations because it's true that it was available on the store as a f2p game but Japanese people do still like to buy physical copies. Also it does not cost 5000 yen but more around 4000 yen, so it was a bugdet release in Japan. Also: does f2p means that it was completely free? Because if many contents must be purchased anyway, being a MMORPG, the cost of the retail version might be justified. Also: many people reported anecdotal evidence on how PSO2 was selling and in some stores was the second best selling game. Also: was there also a bundle? Also: it was released the week of the price cut, when generally people buy something. I mean, ok it is a f2p game, but there were reasons, many reasons, to think it could have done better.

Im pretty sure its F2P in the sense that you don't have to spend a penny. There is in game currency to buy things but you don't need to.

This is why I and others are surprised it even sold as much as it did. I would assume most people would just download it.

I think the fact the game is available completely free massively overrides any of the points you make. Like I said before..... just use that money to buy a memory card.

duckroll

The game is completely free. There is nothing that has to be purchased. The microtransactions are alll cosmetic stuff, bonus weapons, and virtual money. I think you don't quite understand how f2p PSO2. It's literally free, and everyone knows it. The people who bought the physical version are the those who want the bonus stuff now. There will be many more people who are simply content to download the game first to try it out, and if they like it enough that they want to get a package with bundled extra content, they'll buy it later and just use the DLC on their account.

Top Bottom