• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2014 (Feb 17 - Feb 23)

jrDev

Nintendo's business is starting to get under attack in Japan too. If this will not cause a reaction, I don't know what will.

In my opinion, Nintendo is in serious danger to end up being unable to be part of this industry anymore. And not in 10 years - this fall or next year, looking at the trends.
Lmao! :)

Oregano

That's the reason why the PS4 won't flop even if it ends having a PSV-like start

WE, Musou, FF, KH, MGS, Tekken,... aren't going anywhere. They'll go to the PS4.

Isn't MGS the only one of those not see a decline? KH3D might be an outlier for the series though.

RalchAC

Nothing.

There is the magical promise land of mobile they can look forward too.

Plus, Konami barely makes any games. They make their dosh from their health centers

Thought it was Japanese paradise, it was F2P hell.

I think the PS4 will still do decently in the long term. There are IPs that can't go anywhere else. That's the reason I think cross-gen would be a nice idea to start the transition to the new platform in a less "violent" way.

Oregano

I think the PS4 will still do decently in the long term. There are IPs that can't go anywhere else. That's the reason I think cross-gen would be a nice idea to start the transition to the new platform in a less "violent" way.

Those IPs could simply die.

EDIT: FF has been declining since X. I know people have been hyping it since like 2005 but I could easily see XV doing worse than XIII.

Road

Wii 66,368,392
PS3 61,097,120
GBA 56,384,547
3DS 49,486,580

NDS 177,720,451
Wii U 4,006,444
PSV 5,512,809

https://sites.google.com/site/japanltdrank/

There may be some digital numbers included there.

Now that I figured out I was using the wrong brackets for the filter (lol), I can post the ones not including the Famitsu DL numbers:

3DS 49,004,996
PSV 5,440,773
PS3 60,948,705
Wii U 3,941,029
No, the numbers are off. I've given totals in the past.

To clarify (as is written on the website), I don't have the sales of all games ever released. I'm not a subscriber, so I only have sales from the free weekly top 30 and the paid yearly top 1000

That's why if you add all sales I have listed, the total won't match the complete sales estimated by Famitsu. It will be close, but not 100%. For instance,

PSP total sales until 2012: 75.67m
PSP sales in my database until 2012: 73.20m (96.7%)

You can still have a good idea.

The older the system is the larger the difference, though. That is because before a top 1000 for each year (2009 to 2012), we had a top 500 (2004 to 2008), before that, top 300 (1999 to 2003), and only a top 100 at the start (1996 to 1998). We're missing a lot of sales info for the PS1, for example.

Spiegel

Isn't MGS the only one of those not see a decline? KH3D might be an outlier for the series though.

I added Resident Evil and Tales.

But my point is that PS4 won't be a flop because those publishers and those franchises can only go to PS4 unless there's a fundamental change in the japanese gaming business overnight.

(And no, that change is not everyone going mobile because mobile can't carry the budget of the games and size of those third parties)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think MH4 runs on MT Framework.
Yeah it's on MT Franework Mobile which is for 3DS, Vita, and Mobile Devices.

I imagine porting is a lot easier for Capcom than most so it's mostly a question of margins and staff opportunity cost.

TheChaos0

There are whole genres that can't go anywhere else. (but some IPs like mainline FF can't go anywhere else... apart from PC, because the visuals have really became something that the userbase expects) If we are only speaking strictly about hypothetical console market collapse.

Future of PS4, or even it's success or failure in Japan won't decided this year. What really is important, is that everyone is on board, instead of twiddling their thumbs dreaming of F2P paradise while waiting for PS4 to climb out of low LTD hell.

I really don't expect anything to come out from them this year. Will something be announced at E3 and more importantly TSG? We'll see.

Oregano

I added Resident Evil and Tales.

But my point is that PS4 won't be a flop because those publishers and those franchises can only go to PS4 unless there's a fundamental change in the japanese gaming business overnight.

(And no, that change is not everyone going mobile because mobile can't carry the budget of the games and size of those third parties)

Yeah I guess but those franchises could mean less than they did this gen just as they meant less for the PS3 than they did for the PS2. I'm not saying they will suddenly drop dead but those franchises have seen better days.

I'd also argue that a few of those franchises could survive, albeit not as big as they are, if push came to shove.

Also every one of those franchises has apoeared on the 3DS. I think it is probably the first Nintendo system you can say that about....

NBtoaster

So current PS4 numbers are basically because its a shiny new Playstation. Can probably expect a Vita-like drop next week then (324k->72k).

TaiKH92

Banned
Rpm2GtT.gif

Guess we won't see this kind of graph again for a while...

Domination, all thanks to the mighty Knack.

DaBoss

To clarify (as is written on the website), I don't have the sales of all games ever released. I'm not a subscriber, so I only have sales from the free weekly top 30 and the paid yearly top 1000

That's why if you add all sales I have listed, the total won't match the complete sales estimated by Famitsu. It will be close, but not 100%. For instance,

PSP total sales until 2012: 75.67m
PSP sales in my database until 2012: 73.20m (96.7%)

You can still have a good idea.

The older the system is the larger the difference, though. That is because before a top 1000 for each year (2009 to 2012), we had a top 500 (2004 to 2008), before that, top 300 (1999 to 2003), and only a top 100 at the start (1996 to 1998). We're missing a lot of sales info for the PS1, for example.
I see, thanks for the explanation.
so everyone who bought a PS4 in Japan bought Knack !? different strokes for different folks huh!?
Knack is bundled with every PS4.

Metallix87

Frontier is also a subscription game so in theory adding low numbers of people could be more lucrative than in a normal circumstance.

Indeed. Capcom likely doesn't care if the Wii U version only sells a few thousand copies, as those people who do buy are likely to keep sending money to Capcom for months / years, spending well beyond the initial investment.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Indeed. Capcom likely doesn't care if the Wii U version only sells a few thousand copies, as those people who do buy are likely to keep sending money to Capcom for months / years, spending well beyond the initial investment.

That's the ideal but any mmo fan, or person in the interested in the industry will tell you otherwise. More often than not unless your games really quite popular or serves a specific niche well you will bleed subscribers very quickly especially at launch or from a retail release, where a million could buy the game and only 300k pay for the sub for the next month, and it goes down from there. Hence why so many end up f2p.

Basically you want to either really satisfy that niche or hope you strike it big ala WoW. You have that potential but it's far from a sure thing.

Metallix87

That's the ideal but any mmo fan, or person in the interested in the industry will tell you otherwise. More often than not unless your games really quite popular or serves a specific niche well you will bleed subscribers very quickly especially at launch or from a retail release, where a million could buy the game and only 300k pay for the sub for the next month, and it goes down from there. Hence why so many end up f2p.

Basically you want to either really satisfy that niche or hope you strike it big ala WoW. You have that potential but it's far from a sure thing.

This is Monster Hunter. Anyone who buys it knows what they're signing up for at this point.

Final Comgnet Pre Order Points

HsZJuAc.jpg

Harvest Moon New Beginning 3DS - 62pt [79,809 / 232,912]
Harvest Moon New World 3DS - 85pt

Tsutaya says New World is their most pre-ordered Harvest Moon game in the series' history.

1E4nrJY.jpg

Fossil Fighters (NDS, 2008) - didn't chart, less than 33pt [39.666 / 253.350]
Fossil Fighters: Champions (NDS, 2010) - 39pt [47.706 / 345.474]
Fossil Fighters Infinite Gear (3DS, 2014) - 49pt

spwolf

So current PS4 numbers are basically because its a shiny new Playstation. Can probably expect a Vita-like drop next week then (324k->72k).

of course, what else would you expect? Its hard core getting their PS4, same as rest of the world really.

Busaiku

Final Comgnet Pre Order Points

HsZJuAc.jpg

Harvest Moon New Beginning 3DS - 62pt [79,809 / 232,912]
Harvest Moon New World 3DS - 85pt

Tsutaya says New World is their most pre-ordered Harvest Moon game in the series' history.

1E4nrJY.jpg

Fossil Fighters (NDS, 2008) - didn't chart, less than 33pt [39.666 / 253.350]
Fossil Fighters: Champions (NDS, 2010) - 39pt [47.706 / 345.474]
Fossil Fighters Infinite Gear (3DS, 2014) - 49pt
That 150k LTD still makes absolutely no sense to me.

sörine

Banned
The launch, to me, is evidence that this is the Wii U all over again. Average hardware sales, abysmal software sales, and the games on the horizon don't inspire much confidence.
Not exactly, Wii U had decent software sales at launch. At least for the big 3.

Valkyria

Banned
Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| PSV # |     18.240 |     18.348 |     11.456 |    234.785 |    101.039 |   2.590.142 |

Raonak

Banned
Exactly, everyone wants a Pokémon x something just wants it so it can fulfill their childhood fantasy

Heck, I bet people on here would want a Pokémon developed by Platinum games

Pokemon x Anything would be awesome. I got convinced by it by how much i enjoyed the mystery dungeon series. Wish nintendo would go more out there with the spinoffs. less minigames more genre combinations.

There's not a lot to say that hasn't already been discussed in the other threads I suppose.

PS4 HW good enough for a launch, good for a launch in Feb, good for a launch at that price. PS4 software terrible.

And a quick decline is predictable.

Donkey Kong's drop seems relatively precipitous for a title that's supposed to have legs and didn't have a high start to begin with. Curious whether a LTD of around 200K will be reached to at least match the GCN title.

I'm guessing Wii U drops into the 7Ks and continues sliding to similar baselines as before, until there's some software releases.

3DS should really be alarming Nintendo. The land of the rising sun, the last bastion of dedicated handheld systems... and it's probably going to struggle to do 3M this year.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Code:
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
| PSV # |     18.240 |     18.348 |     11.456 |    234.785 |    101.039 |   2.590.142 |

Tracker disparities it went down by a 1000 in Famitsu, so they're both right

Anyway Nintendo really be getting the 2DS in Japan, I'm guessing they're saving it for Christmas or end of the year if planning on releasing it the beginning of year is looking so dire it'd probably be a good idea to push it earlier.

Metallix87

Anyway Nintendo really be getting the 2DS in Japan, I'm guessing they're saving it for Christmas or end of the year if planning on releasing it the beginning of year is looking so dire it'd probably be a good idea to push it earlier.

They're probably saving it for Golden Week.

Sandfox

I don't really think the HW price is the issue with the 3DS in Japan.

cafemomo

Pokemon x Anything would be awesome. I got convinced by it by how much i enjoyed the mystery dungeon series. Wish nintendo would go more out there with the spinoffs. less minigames more genre combinations.
Or what Nintendo needs to do is for GF to do more non Pokémon games.

Where is my Pulseman 3D?

Well, 2/26 was when Yodobashi restocked, according to the launch "out of stock" image that floated around. So they didn't sell out the second shipment in a single day. The question now is how long it will actually take to sell out again (if ever).

alot of them didnt get restock till today

all now have both bundles in stock

http://www.yodobashi.com/ec/news/1000073465/index.html?kind=0002&store=0011

PS4 in stock in all but one Yodobashi store.

The dream is over.

A new shipment just came on the 26th.

I think FFXV will outsell FF13. The hype is massive for that game as well as expectations. KH3 will definitely outdo the handheld ones. RE is a bit weird since RE6 did surprisingly well but I have no idea why because it actually focused a lot more on action than horror. I mean it outsold its PS2 counterparts.

WE, Tekken, and DW have been in decline for a long time. Will they decline even more in the PS4 gen....maybe.

Tales of Xillia also did surprisingly well.

You also have relatively new franchises like Yakuza which is growing, Dragons Dogma and Souls. GT has declined massively and Hot Shots Golf has declined notably.

Oh and GTA has grown considerably.

Dark_castle

FFXV will be down on FFXIII I think. The brand has been pretty badly damaged I feel.

However, you need to take into account that FFXV is a massive, open world-ish Action RPG, something that's easier to resonate among mainstream crowds of the western than a standard JRPG with tried and true turn-based combat systems with generally linear level designs. By the time it comes out, PS4 would also likely have a bigger install base than that of PS3 when FFXIII was released.

If Square Enix plays the marketing part right and of course do their job in making one genuine good/great AAA JRPG with raving, successful professional reviews and recommendations, I can't see why it cannot overtake FFXIII in sales.

Top Bottom