• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2013 (Feb 25 - Mar 03)

matmanx1

Just for fun here are my predictions. I like nice round numbers so I'm going with:

Vita - 50k
SS - 100k

Both would be good results for Sony but we'll see soon if they reached those lofty heights.

Afrit

Confirmed: SS sold 7 copies ;P

BE-qreWCcAEWDpd.jpg:large

Anyway, I think 100k for SS (retailers+dual packs+downloads) not farfetched.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Considering Drakengard 3 has been announced, LTDs of the first two

[PS2] Drakengard (Square Enix) - 131.629 / 241.014 / 54,61% 11/09/03
[PS2] Drakengard 2 (Square Enix) - 138.052 / 203.336 / 67,89% 16/06/05

Tailzo

Chris1964; thank you for posting up these numbers. I actually read them every week. But I rarely comment. I would assume that applies to other members of GAF. But this time I wanted to take the time to say "Thank you!" :)

Kenka

Some Level 5 new IPs have sold well (Layton, Inazuma, Fantasy Life).
So have recent Namco Bandai efforts.

IE exploded with the second game - the first title "only" sold around 450k, so GE sold more.
Layton is still ahead, and if we go back a bit, Kanji titles sold truckloads.

noobie

Banned
It's a Sony Computer Entertainment Japan game

Debut weeks for new SCE IP on handhelds:

Code:
Jeanne D'arc - 44k
Gravity Rush - 40k
Locoroco - 32k
Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida - 28k
Patapon - 28k
Echochrome - 25k
Minna no Sukkiri - 16k
TRICK × LOGIC - 11k
Kingdom of Paradise - 8k
Coded Soul - 8k
Diamond and the Sound of a Gun Shot - 8k
Enkaku Sousa - 7k
Patchwork Heroes - 7k
That really is a lousy performance .... I wander why they cant manage to create one decent popular IP? They need to move some heads and bring in some talent from ... anywhere..

We are already talking about them in our secret SalesAge club. The numbers are...interesting. We'll share them in about 90 minutes with the rest of you.

Considering Drakengard 3 has been announced, LTDs of the first two

[PS2] Drakengard (Square Enix) - 131.629 / 241.014 / 54,61% 11/09/03
[PS2] Drakengard 2 (Square Enix) - 138.052 / 203.336 / 67,89% 16/06/05

Indeed, Drakengard is not one of the best selling Sqaure Enix series. The fact that they chose PS3, and there is not a 360 version, points out the belief that this game will perform very well in Japan. Maybe they think there's a quite good audience on PS3, so they can reach 250-300k units. I still have to see the materials, so I don't know how the production values are.

Mario007

Indeed, Drakengard is not one of the best selling Sqaure Enix series. The fact that they chose PS3, and there is not a 360 version, points out the belief that this game will perform very well in Japan. Maybe they think there's a quite good audience on PS3, so they can reach 250-300k units. I still have to see the materials, so I don't know how the production values are.
Or that they don't plan on localising it. Or that Square lost faith in the Xbox when it comes to their RPG titles (looking at KH remake or Versus holding that exclusivity, though that's probably a case of Nomura being Nomura). Seeing as Tales or Ni No Kuni are doing the ps3 only, it probably makes an awful lot of sense.

Seeing as Tales or Ni No Kuni are doing the ps3 only, it probably makes an awful lot of sense.
Tales never goes simultaneous multi for some reason. Which is sort of dumb imo, given they sell best by far on PlayStation in Japan and worst by far on PlayStation everywhere else. Huge wasted opportunities there.

Ninokuni isn't on 360 due to bad blood between Microsoft and Level 5 from TFLO. I wouldn't read much more into it than that really.

Tales never goes simultaneous multi for some reason. Which is sort of dumb imo, given they sell best by far on PlayStation in Japan and worst by far on PlayStation everywhere else. Huge wasted opportunities there.

Ninokuni isn't on 360 due to bad blood between Microsoft and Level 5 from TFLO. I wouldn't read much more into it than that really.

Tales not being on 360 makes sense for a good while now .
PS3 has more systems sold in Japan and EU , wasting money to port it to 360 in NA when it not going to sell more than 100k don't seem likely .
Maybe next gen when it much easier to port games across systems it could go simultaneous multi WW .

EDIT since i posting

Vita 57k
SS 186k

Spiegel

Not really

And selling the worst by far? How many units are we talking about?

Tales not being on 360 makes sense for a while now .
PS3 has more systems sold in Japan and EU , wasting money to port to 360 in NA when it not going to sell more than 100k don't seem likely .
Maybe next gen when it much easier to port games across systems it could go simultaneous multi WW .
Vesperia basically tripled US sales of Graces f, I think a good argument can be made for Tales going multi if an international release is being considered. Part of the problem for Tales is western releases NOT being considered at all until after the fact usually, which is alao why the series can't seem to gain much traction or momentum here after Symphonia's one hit wonder.

Namco was able to transition to multiplatform development and worldwide planning for Tekken, Ace Combat, RR, Soulcalibur and pretty much everything else, at this point I don't really see why Tales should be a lone exception.

Not really

And selling the worst by far? How many units are we talking about?
afaik no Tales on a PlayStation console has broken 100k in America, while every Tales on an Xbox or Nintendo console has. Pretty much everything but Symphonia bombed in Europe though.

Foshy

Vesperia basically tripled US sales of Graces f, I think a good argument can be made for Tales going multi if an international release is being considered. Part of the problem for Tales is western releases NOT being considered at all until after the fact usually, which is alao why the series can't seem to gain much traction or momentum here after Symphonia's one hit wonder.

I feel like Symphonia and Vesperia doing well compared to Graces might have something to do with their appearance and style, too.

I think these are way more likely to appeal to the "casual Final Fantasy JRPG fan" than this:

Just a theory, I'd like to hear some other opinions on this, too.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Kinda low prediction, especially for SS :(

Vita : 55k
SS : 120k
I might be a bit off on SS, but considering it's an adult themed new IP on the Vita doesn't lead me to believe it'll break the 100k barrier that easily. Then again I don't have a clear grasp of much Sony is pushing this title all the way from here.

Years of diffrence in release dates.

Vesperia was hyped and market was jrpg hungry back then- when Graces f was released noone cared apart from small group of fans.

Namco was able to transition to multiplatform development and worldwide planning for Tekken, Ace Combat, RR, Soulcalibur and pretty much everything else, at this point I don't really see why Tales should be a lone exception.

I can't seem to find update numbers for TOGF or TOV to see that it out sold it but 3 times .
Mind showing them to me either way as you said they need to make the games thinking about WW release or close to each other .

I feel like Symphonia and Vesperia doing well compared to Graces might have something to do with their appearance and style, too.

I think these are way more likely to appeal to the "casual Final Fantasy JRPG fan" than this:

Just a theory, I'd like to hear some other opinions on this, too.
It's not just Graces f, going back every PS Tales (Destiny, Eternia/Destiny II, Abyss, Radiant Mythology) bombed in the west. Even the crappy GBA port of Phantasia, given a limited release while the platform was being forcibly shut down by NOA, managed to outsell all of them in the US. Hell, the universally panned TOS2 (which is technically a spinoff and not mainline) dramatically outsold them all too.

We'll see if Xillia can reverse things though. Sixth time's the charm maybe.

Top Bottom