• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2016 (Feb 29 - Mar 06)

BKK

Oh sure, I know that but the reports are what they are in terms of how the LTDs are summed in this thread and how MC/Famitsu reports a "year". But the rest of what I said, if Chris busts out his chart, is true.

The 2DS is definitely not going to cover 150k, however, and is probably about ~100k up and to so far.

Also we seem to have a tendency to jump around between what we use for "this year", and I prefer to keep it to "what do the trackers consider this year". If we factor in Week 53, which tends to be (by calendar) Week 1 of the subsequent year, the discussion (last week, and popping up from time to time, and used here as an example) about the PS4 vs. 3DS hardware for this year, becomes even more lopsided in favor of the 3DS at it adds another 60k to its YTD total which isn't a small amount when the two systems are straddling each other week in-to-week out even with the PS4 enjoying considerably more releases than the 3DS.

There really shouldn't be a debate, it's an ISO standard. The correct accounting method is to compare Weeks 1-9 2016 to Weeks 1-9 2015, and not trying to shoehorn week 53 in.

11./14. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.400) - 8.333 / 684.587 (+1%)

10 days until MC has been out a year physically in Japan [Assuming the date is for physical release and not the digital release which came first right?]

Impressive legs. Maybe the fact the market is so downturned that a consistent 8k a week is impressive but it never lets up. Can only imagine that there is a Sony executive kicking themselves for not having MC on Vita closer to launch. Microsoft made a great decision to get console exclusivity on MC for as long as they did.

09./13. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥5.700) - 10.939 / 1.281.087 (+17%)

Splatoon is of course the other one with perhaps better legs. Kind of think you could debate back and forth on it as digital might be higher on MC, MC is available on every platform under the sun etc. but it's amazing no matter how you try to qualify it.

muteki

Because third parties need only be offered a better deal to disappear or offer their products elsewhere as well. If your entire audience is beholden to third parties and you do nothing with your internal development, then you effectively have a platform beholden to others for its survival and its value intrinsically linked to said presence.

Take the hypothetical and tired point of the NX handheld (bare with me, this is simply to make an example not to claim that the NX will get every game ever) coming to market and sharing all of these third parties with the Vita, but also providing a strong line-up that is unique to it from internal development. In such a scenario, what appeal does the Vita have to a consumer? It is a strictly inferior, less robust product because it offers nothing unique to itself vs. a competing product at market. As a consumer, would you even have confidence in the product to get supported well/for long if the parent company treats the item as a leper?

Of course, the Vita itself is simply stuck between a rock and a hard place. Sony's transitioned westward and they really have no need to invest in the product or in funding projects for it. They gave it a few titles early on when there was still hope (many of the projects in 2014 being pipelined before the system's global failure) but since then, they've no interest in supporting the product but unlike the PSTV, the system itself refuses to outright die in its home market. And in the home market, its a major pillar of the family of systems maintaining anything even remotely resembling passable software performance.

I'm sure Sony as a whole has just written off the Vita and knows very well what will happen once the NX drops, if it has a comparable handheld component. If they cared about their market share they would already be getting a Vita2 ready.

But in the near term I guess they are happy just manufacturing the hardware and fixing FW exploits while others invest the time and effort to keep people buying Vitas.

Which is fine by me as I have enough to keep me busy though 2016 and then some.

I'm sure Sony as a whole has just written off the Vita and knows very well what will happen once the NX drops, if it has a comparable handheld component. If they cared about their market share the would already be getting a Vita2 ready.

But in the near term I guess they are happy just manufacturing the hardware and fixing FW exploits while others invest the time and effort to keep people buying Vitas.
Yeah, it is unlikely that they'll go back into the handheld market anyway. So, the threat of the NX is moot. Just keep things as they are and get as much as you can out of it. First party development should go to the system that is a profound success in the console market.

Mory Dunz

what caused the splatoon bump?

Why are people buying that game is beyond me. I guess it's WiiU software drought.

I think that's already been proven to not hold true. several games have released with nothing around it and completely bombed on wii u.

&#332;kami;197974089 said:
Retail + digital on Famitsu Rainbow Six: Siege should hit 100k next week.

On Wii U Mario Tennis outsold Donkey Kong, at the pace it's selling it should end up above the 2nd Dragon Quest X expansion, Hyrule Warriors and Xenoblade X as well.

On PS4 retail + digital Dragon Quest Builders outsold Minecraft, though that won't be happening on Vita anytime soon, right not it doesn't seem very likely it'll outsell Persona 4 Golden

ugh
thats...something

Vena

Yeah, it is unlikely that they'll go back into the handheld market anyway. So, the threat of the NX is moot. Just keep things as they are and get as much as you can out of it. First party development should go to the system that is a profound success in the console market.

The only reason this would be a curious point, for Japan, is that the Vita is a major component of software sales for the family of systems and a major part of why any system in the family is being supported in the local market. They all work in tandem because on their own no system really performs... well/healthily for software.

If the Vita gets supplanted outright (and its audience eaten) by a product outside of the trio (PS3/PS4/Vita), then the whole family could potentially suffer since, as I noted previously, the systems are fairly identical in their offerings. This is why Sony is trying to transition audiences.

This is obviously irrelevant for the larger, global market.

I think that's already been proven to not hold true. several games have released with nothing around it and completely bombed on wii u.

Having asked some friends on the matter, the reason seems to be about Kei Nishikori's recent successes and the general lack of tennis games.

If the Vita gets supplanted outright (and its audience eaten) by a product outside of the trio (PS3/PS4/Vita), then the whole family could potentially suffer since, as I noted previously, the systems are fairly identical in their offerings. This is why Sony is trying to transition audiences.

I don't see how that really relates to first-party development though (which is what was being discussed originally).

Vita is part of a dead product line. Sony are trying their best to transition the audience that is there to their product line which is still going (PS4), with varying levels of success.

What difference are you saying first-party development would really make in these circumstances? It's not going to convince more people to switch over. And I don't see how it stops third-parties going over to portable NX if that's what they do once the Vita has run its course. It's pretty much delaying the inevitable - which is something I'd very much take in these circumstances as a Vita fan - but I don't think it's very realistic.

Mario Tennis is doing better than a bunch of other better games...damn... A game that needed to Bomb, isn't Bombing...

PS4 doing good though....impossible!! Japanese market for consoles not fully dead yet? Or is it simply a zombie walking through a field if dying consoles?

Splatdoom doing good enough I see in MC, but not as well in the #superiortracker.

Vena

I don't see how that really relates to first-party development though (which is what was being discussed originally).

Vita is part of a dead product line. Sony are trying their best to transition the audience that is there to their product line which is still going (PS4), with varying levels of success.

What difference are you saying first-party development would really make in these circumstances? It's not going to convince more people to switch over. And I don't see how it stops third-parties going over to portable NX if that's what they do once the Vita has run its course. It's pretty much delaying the inevitable - which is something I'd very much take in these circumstances as a Vita fan - but I don't think it's very realistic.

If the Vita had first party offerings, it would remain a differentiated product and work to the support of the family in the bigger picture by not being so easily "replaceable".

Shahed

If the Vita had first party offerings, it would remain a differentiated product and work to the support of the family in the bigger picture by not being so easily "replaceable".
But there will be no successor. So even if Vita seemed slightly more attractive it woulr have little effect on NX handhelds ability to take that audience and at best delay it by 6 months or so at most. It's going to be 'replaceable' regardless. Also if Sony want to move the audience to PS4, making Vita games seems counter productive. Sony have given up on the Vita and see it as a lost cause. More first party development only makes sense if they're gonna make anither handheld or if it was successful worldwide like PS4. Otherwise resources are better spent elsewhere.

Not that their PS4 output has been any good either though

At this point it's pretty obvious the whole 'family' thing consists of selling the PS3 and Vita for as long as they can but not doing anything in particular for them (see: no PS3 price cut; no Vita development) and boosting the PS4 as much as possible.

If they were to start developing Vita games again, I don't see how that would help their goal of pushing the PS4. If anything, it'd take away from it.

I can agree with you that I think it's short-sighted of them to not do more to keep the handheld product line alive, at least for the Japanese market (while Vita hasn't sold well as a whole in the region I think it's doing relatively well for a console which has lived off multi-platform releases) but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

The only reason this would be a curious point, for Japan, is that the Vita is a major component of software sales for the family of systems and a major part of why any system in the family is being supported in the local market. They all work in tandem because on their own no system really performs... well/healthily for software.

This is obviously irrelevant for the larger, global market.
Yeah, your last sentence essentially sums up my counterargument. Even if what you're saying is true, it isn't enough to outweigh the need of the PS4 to continue getting support worldwide. It just wouldn't be wise to cut away from what the PS4 can get just to salvage the Vita a bit more in Japan.

If that potentially means the PS ecosystem falling apart in Japan, so be it. It will mean little in the grand scheme of things.

Not that their PS4 output has been any good either though
To be fair, Sony supported the PS3 until the casket closed. Two of their top studios released a major title in the same year the PS4 launched. It just takes time under those circumstances and, as we see, 2016 is a much stronger year in terms of first party software. I expect this to generally continue with lulls here and there.

Fdkn

You're forgetting that PSP wasn't big because of first party games.

The biggest sony franchise for PSP in Japan was hot shots golf and then there was that GT thing at around... ~300k? Not really system sellers from Sony there to argue that the Vita is what it is in Japan because lack of 1st party efforts.

I've said this many times already but quality wise, Vita 1st party offerings were better than PSP, at least until they saw the response wasn't worth the investment.

The handheld market is a dead end for Sony so they'll just keep selling the vita while there is people buying it and support the devs that decide to put stuff on it as they've always done.

I remember the early discussions about discontinuing vita by 2014 and here we are... flat or up yoy depending of the tracker you use. Vita is not a hit but we already knew that, it still carved its niche and kept going on it.

Vena

Yeah, your last sentence essentially sums up my counterargument. Even if what you're saying is true, it isn't enough to outweigh the need of the PS4 to continue getting support worldwide. It just wouldn't be wise to cut away from what the PS4 can get just to salvage the Vita a bit more in Japan.

Well this is more in relation to SCEJA effectively doing nothing or very little, as the conversation started. Not about really diverting resources from major PS4 players. Moreover, it couldn't have hurt to not throw the Vita under the bus as they did with GR and Type-0, for instance.

I can agree with you that I think it's short-sighted of them to not do more to keep the handheld product line alive, at least for the Japanese market (while Vita hasn't sold well as a whole in the region I think it's doing relatively well for a console which has lived off multi-platform releases) but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Ultimately this is the crux of the matter but its for another time!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
There will be (o better said, there are) lots of pressure to do so. Minecraft it's really the king here, and I suppose Builders have already sold the bulk of its units to Dragon Quest fans and there won't be much more left. Let's wait some weeks and maybe Square could make a move. Hoping the pricecut is effective.

This has never happened before. If SE decides to do an official price cut so soon after the release it will be the first for a game.

This has never happened before. If SE decides to do an official price cut so soon after the release it will be the first for a game.
Indeed. What SQEX can do is a budget release which they tend to do well across segment of the customer base with a lower willingness to pay.

horuhe

Unless there's plenty of unsold stock on store shelves, why would Square Enix issue an official price cut this year? While it's far from the best selling DQ spinoff, it's also far from the worst and they don't seem to be doing any post-launch support. They're probably developing DQB2 instead of expecting the first to have long legs.

Yeah, there are no stock problems with the game. In fact, it is being re-stocked every so often, but I thought (and still think) there was a motivation to seek that Minecraft population that has not completely been reached.

I imagined that it never happened. Well, I wasn't talking about too soon. I mean, when referring to weeks I thought something like in Summer, maybe. But, yeah it's kinda unlikely, it's just that I hope it happens even though there aren't possibilities at all.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Final day.

CdI6zxmXIAEGRTh.jpg:large

Shahed

To be fair, Sony supported the PS3 until the casket closed. Two of their top studios released a major title in the same year the PS4 launched. It just takes time under those circumstances and, as we see, 2016 is a much stronger year in terms of first party software. I expect this to generally continue with lulls here and there.
I was more referring to their Japanese efforts from SCEJA. For the Vita they had partnerships like Soul Sacrifice original and Delta, Freedom Wars, Oreshika and so on. PSP had significantly more than this. For the PS4 they've done Bloodborne and I can't recall anything else. Fair enough if they're going to wind down Vita development and try to transition the audience to PS4, but there hasn't been a lot of results on that front

I was more referring to their Japanese efforts from SCEJA. For the Vita they had partnerships like Soul Sacrifice original and Delta, Freedom Wars, Oreshika and so on. PSP had significantly more than this. For the PS4 they've done Bloodborne and I can't recall anything else. Fair enough if they're going to wind down Vita development and try to transition the audience to PS4, but there hasn't been a lot of results on that front
My bad.

I think Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian is all they have. I hope they announce more this year at E3 and TGS.

10 days until MC has been out a year physically in Japan [Assuming the date is for physical release and not the digital release which came first right?]

Impressive legs. Maybe the fact the market is so downturned that a consistent 8k a week is impressive but it never lets up. Can only imagine that there is a Sony executive kicking themselves for not having MC on Vita closer to launch. Microsoft made a great decision to get console exclusivity on MC for as long as they did.

yes, it's the retail release date that one, almost 1 year in the chart, the longest seller title for Sony systems should be "MHP2G the best" which charted for 58 consecutive weeks on Famitsu

and 7-8k for a long seller title are good numbers actually, even if the king of the kings, Brain Training, was selling at much more weekly rate in the glorious DS days

crinale

Nice PS4 hold.

At this point it's pretty obvious the whole 'family' thing consists of selling the PS3 and Vita for as long as they can but not doing anything in particular for them (see: no PS3 price cut; no Vita development) and boosting the PS4 as much as possible.

If they were to start developing Vita games again, I don't see how that would help their goal of pushing the PS4. If anything, it'd take away from it.

Look how irrelevant Japanese market is becoming. At least they are focusing Asian market as a whole (with Japan included), but over there handheld isn't popular either. IIRC Nintendo like pulled themselves out from Taiwanese market.

01./00. [PSV] Gundam Breaker 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.03.03} (¥6.800) - 74.639 / NEW
02./00. [PS4] Gundam Breaker 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.03.03} (¥7.600) - 66.580 / NEW
Gundam doing pretty well. Even if it's not nearly as good as the first game

05./06. [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo) {2016.02.18} (¥4.700) - 18.391 / 82.160 (-17%)
That's a pretty small drop. Will be over 100K soon

09./13. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥5.700) - 10.939 / 1.281.087 (+17%)
New Wii-U stock and the update pushing Splatoon back in the top 10

11./14. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.400) - 8.333 / 684.587 (+1%)
15./29. [WIU] Super Mario Maker # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.09.10} (¥5.700) - 6.862 / 812.781
16./20. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad <ACT> (Level 5) {2015.07.11} (¥4.600) - 6.467 / 2.223.515 (+2%)
20./16. [3DS] Monster Hunter Generations # <ACT> (Capcom) {2015.11.28} (¥5.800) - 6.301 / 2.705.132 (-14%)
The legs patrol staying steady. SMM returns and Monster hunter clinging to the top 20

17./10. [PS4] Street Fighter V # <FTG> (Capcom) {2016.02.18} (¥7.990) - 6.357 / 59.553 (-43%)
Street fighter keeps dropping fast. really dropped the ball Capcom

PSV # | 29.937
PS4 | 28.863
3DS # | 28.355
WIU | 7.260
XB1 | 490

That big increase for the Vita. This weeks software boosting it nicely
PS4 and 3DS keep steady sales and Wii-U finally get some stock
Biggest news is obviously the big comeback of the XB1

famitsu
24./20. [WIU] Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash <SPT> (Nintendo) {2016.01.28} (¥4.700) - 4.805 / 119.881 <80-100%> (-26%)
It really is doing fairly well compared to here. can't really say i'm happy for that.

kubricks

Considering that Sony has no real interest in staying in the handheld space, I don't think it's any surprise that they aren't really supporting the Vita anymore.They'll happily take the sales and their cut of all software sales, but it's not going to be any sort of place that they'd ever put an effort on again.

It really doesn't make much business sense as evidently, Vita is doing well enough alongside PS4 with games often outsold the latter if cross-platform.

Abandoning the Vita will NOT move the customer to console, it will just lose them all to their competitor 3DS.

Why would a company happily cut support of a subsidary when it is doing reasonably well on its own? It's all good to say you want to concentrate on Western market, but at the cost of losing handheld sector in its homeland is not a smart decision whichever way you look at it.

Sterok

Is what remains of the Vita market really worth fighting over? At this point they can spend minimal amounts to support it indefinitely in order to milk it some more, but in the grand scheme of things it's probably a small fraction of Sony's revenue and would take serious investments to get more out of, investments that would be better off elsewhere.

It really doesn't make much business sense as evidently, Vita is doing well enough alongside PS4 with games often outsold the latter if cross-platform.

Abandoning the Vita will NOT move the customer to console, it will just lose them all to their competitor 3DS.

Why would a company happily cut support of a subsidary when it is doing reasonably well on its own? It's all good to say you want to concentrate on Western market, but at the cost of losing handheld sector in its homeland is not a smart decision whichever way you look at it.
The Vita isn't going to suddenly take off with that support. It would be more of the same but at a better baseline. That is worth eating into the resources of a system that can, in my opinion, potentially reach or cross 100M units LTD?

Also, as it has been pointed out, Sony isn't going to release another handheld anyway. So, those customers will be going elsewhere by default.

Shizuka

It'd be "easier" to kickstart the next portable than trying to salvage the Vita. Since the Vita did so poorly for Sony, that won't happen, which means if the "easier" choice is no longer an option for them, why would they bother with the "harder" one? And this is coming from a huge Vita fan. This discussion made sense when it took place in 2013, maybe 2014, but not in 2016.

sense

i have said this before but i personally think the successor to vita for Sony will be in the mobile space through their xperia line with titles made for it (so they can be played natively since they are way more powerful nowadays) and ps4 simultaneusly (maybe vita too if it can handle it) and you can just attach a dual shock to the phone and play the game on the go or remote play or on the ps4 (cross play, cross buy etc). i don't think sony is dumb enough to tie it just to their phones so this will probably be expanded to other phones as well since they can still sell extra controllers and gain revenue through game sales. i know this is happening in bits and pieces already all over the place but they will eventually get there in my opinion with a unified message and marketing. maybe with the next xperia phone.
who knows they might even announce a nintendo mobile game alongside it:)

hypothetical question : if a game like dragon quest builders or world of final fantasy can be played on a phone and you have the option to attach a dualshock 4 and play it natively, would people be interested? of course they will likely be playable with touch options but sony can advertise the dualshock 4 compatibility to people that don't like it and also say if they buy it digitally they can play it on ps4 and vita as well etc...

I feel like you just described Xperia Play.

if at first you fail, you try again :) but to be fair that was not an attractive phone for the mass market to carry around a phone that was specifically made for games. i am talking all the phones like the z5, samsung s6, iphone 6 etc.. with the option to attach a dualshock 4 when you want

Shizuka

i have said this before but i personally think the successor to vita for Sony will be in the mobile space through their xperia line with titles made for it (so they can be played natively since they are way more powerful nowadays) and ps4 simultaneusly (maybe vita too if it can handle it) and you can just attach a dual shock to the phone and play the game on the go or remote play or on the ps4 (cross play, cross buy etc). i don't think sony is dumb enough to tie it just to their phones so this will probably be expanded to other phones as well since they can still sell extra controllers and gain revenue through game sales. i know this is happening in bits and pieces already all over the place but they will eventually get there in my opinion with a unified message and marketing. maybe with the next xperia phone.

I feel like you just described Xperia Play.

Maniel

Banned

hypothetical question : if a game like dragon quest builders or world of final fantasy can be played on a phone and you have the option to attach a dualshock 4 and play it natively, would people be interested? of course they will likely be playable with touch options but sony can advertise the dualshock 4 compatibility to people that don't like it and also say if they buy it digitally they can play it on ps4 and vita as well etc...
That doesn't make sense because Sony seems to be easing their investment in the smartphone market. They recently announced the end of the Xperia Z line, and replaced it with a more mid range Xperia X line.

duckroll

....No? I love my Xperia, I play games on my Xperia, but it's first and foremost a phone. It's not something I care to use a controller with to play stuff on a tiny screen. If I wanted that I would just get said games for the PS3 or PS4 instead. I like playing Digimon on my Vita because it drains its own battery, and not my phone battery, so I can use both. Same with the 3DS.

The games I like most on mobile are the ones which can be played with touch easily, don't have a lot of voice and important sound fx, can be played in short bursts, and won't tank the battery.

sense

That doesn't make sense because Sony seems to be easing their investment in the smartphone market. They recently announced the end of the Xperia Z line, and replaced it with a more mid range Xperia X line.

hey, i know this can sound crazy and i could most likely be wrong. just wanted to throw my 2 cents as to where i think sony could/might go in the handheld space if they don't want to abandon it.

duckroll

hey, i know this can sound crazy and i could most likely be wrong. just wanted to throw my 2 cents as to where i think sony could/might go in the handheld space if they don't want to abandon it.

But what makes you think they don't want to abandon it? They've shown every sign possible that they're withdrawing from that space completely.

Top Bottom