• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2016 (Feb 29 - Mar 06)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Why exactly is SCE halting first-party support on the Vita? Is Japan-only a viable market? I guess it's completely tanking outside their domestic territory.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Last week it rises?

2016 03 {2016.01.11 - 2016.01.17} 26. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.571) - 2.368 / 2.932.103 <80-100%>
2016 04 {2016.01.18 - 2016.01.24} 28. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.571) - 2.434 / 2.934.537 <80-100%>
2016 05 {2016.01.25 - 2016.01.31} 00. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.571) - 2.486 / 2.937.023 <80-100%>
2016 06 {2016.02.01 - 2016.02.07} 30. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.571) - 2.444 / 2.939.467 <80-100%>
2016 07 {2016.02.08 - 2016.02.14} 25. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.571) - 2.607 / 2.942.074 <80-100%>
2016 08 {2016.02.15 - 2016.02.21} 26. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.571) - 3.068 / 2.945.142 <80-100%>
2016 09 {2016.02.22 - 2016.02.28} 29. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.571) - 3.950 / 2.949.092 <80-100%>
2016 10 {2016.02.29 - 2016.03.06} 21. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.571) - 5.169 / 2.954.261 <80-100%>

SMTIV Final held better than expected this week. 140k units is still far from what I was expecting (180k) but not that disappointing either.

Shahed

Any hardware will drop a lot without releases for a long time though. I think a better definition of a baseline is the average weekly sales a console has over an entire year because sales vary so greatly on a week to week basis.

Yeah I understand that and agree. Bar spikes at certain major releases an average works out better because it eliminates minor upward and downward fluctuations.

zeromcd73

I blame SCEJA's lack of effort in developing and publishing first party titles.
Why would any studio under Sony waste time developing a single Vita game when it will never get a successor, barely even exists outside of Japan, not even 25% of PSP LTD in Japan, and the PS4 is doing so well in regards to sales worldwide?

duckroll

Well a sequel I personally care about haha.

The series isn't growing (yet). But at least it seems to have avoided contracting further instead. The first Gundam Breaker still sold much more.

From 2013:
01./00. [PS3] Gundam Breaker <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.06.27} (¥7.980) - 200.564 / NEW

and

07./00. [PSV] Gundam Breaker # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.10.31} (¥6.980) - 33.775 / NEW

(Gundam Breaker was released on PS3 first, with a Vita release out only 4 months later.)

One thing we can say is that the Vita audience for the game has grown from game to game, and not at insignificant rates. But still not quite enough to make up for the lost console drop off from 1 to 2. At least it remained the same for 3.

Why exactly is SCE halting first-party support on the Vita? Is Japan-only a viable market? I guess it's completely tanking outside their domestic territory.

Sony is much more focused on the western market than the Japanese market lately. The majority of their first party studios are in the west, and even their Japanese side is generally producing stuff that is expected to sell well in the west.

Considering that Sony has no real interest in staying in the handheld space, I don't think it's any surprise that they aren't really supporting the Vita anymore.They'll happily take the sales and their cut of all software sales, but it's not going to be any sort of place that they'd ever put an effort on again.

noobie

Banned
That's the thing. We don't know if this is a new baseline or if the releases are helping it maintain a slightly higher level. Without these releases would it drop to 25k? 20k? Even lower? Probably not that low but I would be curious to see how it performs when there's not a decent release for a few weeks.

i think baseline will be around 12 - 15k if there are no notable release in a week.. May be we will see those numbers in April.. March is relatively good in terms of releases but i dont see anything significant in April.

Maniel

Banned
One thing we can say is that the Vita audience for the game has grown from game to game, and not at insignificant rates. But still not quite enough to make up for the lost console drop off from 1 to 2. At least it remained the same for 3.
I think this, and the stable transition from ps3 to ps4 are very encouraging for the series going forward.

Just because I'm in the mood:

Atelier Totori Plus - 27,651
Atelier Meruru Plus - 25,095
Atelier Shallie Plus - 19,693
Atelier Rorona Plus - 17,536
Atelier Escha & Logy Plus - 15,778
Atelier Ayesha Plus - 11,663

Remakes have had their ups and downs on Vita but at least they ended on a high with Shallie. They tend to have decent-ish legs as well (Ayesha Plus was 31,427 by the end of 2014; Totori Plus reached 73,093).

notaskwid

Xbox one this month
tumblr_mgkc79wdXX1qfbz1so1_500.gif

It's probably more like "Japan seriously doesn't give a shit about home Zelda" jokes.

fixed, and I thought it was clear from my previous reply

obviously it won't be a failure such as not entering the top 30, but don't expect solid sales, even if maybe it will have long legs as most of wiiu games, poor wii u userbase, they don't have so many releases and they are almost "forced" to buy what nintendo offers to them

mao2

Why would any studio under Sony waste time developing a single Vita game when it will never get a successor, barely even exists outside of Japan, not even 25% of PSP LTD in Japan, and the PS4 is doing so well in regards to sales worldwide?
My point is that SCEJA are hardly releasing anything, and not just for Vita. In the previous gen, they published many first party titles for PSP like Patapon series, LocoRoco series, Ape Escape spinoffs, Hot Shots Tennis GAG, Wild Arms XF etc, which IIRC were all developed by outside studios. They aren't even doing that now.

My point is that SCEJA are hardly releasing anything, and not just for Vita. In the previous gen, they published many first party titles for PSP like Patapon series, LocoRoco series, Ape Escape spinoffs, Hot Shots Tennis GAG, Wild Arms XF etc, which IIRC were all developed by outside studios. They aren't even doing that now.

They've definitely cut back their publishing. Yet there was still hints of it this gen, with Soul Sacrifice/Freedom Wars which were collabs but with the majority of development done by outside companies.

I do find it strange that we can't get series which would be niche successes in Japan anymore, like Boku no Natsuyasumi, but I guess this is the new western-focused-with-everything SCE.

They collaborate a lot with third parties and released a good number for the Vita. Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Destiny of Spirits, Freedom Wars and Oreshika. That's 6 games in from 2012-2014 and only counting their Vita output. That's not even counting the games they also released for PS3 and PS4 in the same time frame.

11./00. [3DS] Doraemon: Nobita and the Island of Miracles <ETC> (FuRyu) {2012.03.01} (¥5.229) - 12.228 / NEW
14./00. [3DS] Doraemon: Nobita to Himitsu Dougu Hakubutsukan <ADV> (FuRyu) {2013.03.07} (¥5.229) - 12.768 / NEW
23./00. [3DS] Doraemon: Shin Nobita no Daimakyou - Peko to 5-nin no Tankentai <ACT> (FuRyu) {2014.03.06} (¥5.229) - < 5.327 / NEW
19./00. [3DS] Doraemon: Nobita no Uchuu Eiyuuki <ADV> (FuRyu) {2015.03.05} (¥5.378) - 4.663 / NEW
13./00. [3DS] Doraemon: Shin Nobita no Nihon Tanjou <ACT> (FuRyu) {2016.03.03} (¥4.980) - 7.443 / NEW

Actually up this time!

zeromcd73

Oh, can definitely agree with you about that. So far on PS4 the amount of games they've released/announced/partnered have been very few (Knack/TLG/GR2/BB?).

AKC12

Why are people buying that game is beyond me. I guess it's WiiU software drought.

There are no other recently made tennis games out there. Also Kei Nishikori probably has an impact as well (nearly won a slam in 2014 and is currently the number 6 player in the world, pretty big deal for them).

lherre

Accurate
With the "legs" (or no legs) that DBQ has shown ..., will Square lower the price soon? Or they will wait for a possible "the best" version with some DLC?

horuhe

With the "legs" (or no legs) that DBQ has shown ..., will Square lower the price soon? Or they will wait for a possible "the best" version with some DLC?
There will be (o better said, there are) lots of pressure to do so. Minecraft it's really the king here, and I suppose Builders have already sold the bulk of its units to Dragon Quest fans and there won't be much more left. Let's wait some weeks and maybe Square could make a move. Hoping the pricecut is effective.

Vena

Its very peculiar how flat stuff has been YoY this year, lol. Chris will probably bust out his PS4 chart and how the highs of last year at this time are now canceling for the lows last year had, while this year the PS4 has just remained flat.

The 3DS is just chugging along but, again, we have no idea on the 2DS hardware until the Annual Report.

The Vita enjoyed its starter bundle this week,right?

Takao

Banned
There will be (o better said, there are) lots of pressure to do so. Minecraft it's really the king here, and I suppose Builders have already sold the bulk of its units to Dragon Quest fans and there won't be much more left. Let's wait some weeks and maybe Square could make a move. Hoping the pricecut is effective.

Unless there's plenty of unsold stock on store shelves, why would Square Enix issue an official price cut this year? While it's far from the best selling DQ spinoff, it's also far from the worst and they don't seem to be doing any post-launch support. They're probably developing DQB2 instead of expecting the first to have long legs.

Ōkami

Retail + digital on Famitsu Rainbow Six: Siege should hit 100k next week.

On Wii U Mario Tennis outsold Donkey Kong, at the pace it's selling it should end up above the 2nd Dragon Quest X expansion, Hyrule Warriors and Xenoblade X as well.

On PS4 retail + digital Dragon Quest Builders outsold Minecraft, though that won't be happening on Vita anytime soon, right not it doesn't seem very likely it'll outsell Persona 4 Golden

BKK

Its very peculiar how flat stuff has been YoY this year, lol. Chris will probably bust out his PS4 chart and how the highs of last year at this time are now canceling for the lows last year had, while this year the PS4 has just remained flat.

The 3DS is just chugging along but, again, we have no idea on the 2DS hardware until the Annual Report.

That peculiarity is down to last year being a 53 week year for MC. Comparing like for like with Famitsu everything is significantly up except for 3DS which is significantly down (excluding 2DS).

YTD:

Code:
     2015    2016
3DS: 563,240 360,988 -36%
PS4: 226,507 330,369 +46%    
PSV: 229,324 302,212 +32%
WIU: 109,918 133,477 +21%

Vena

That peculiarity is down to last year being a 53 week year for MC. Comparing like for like with Famitsu everything is significantly up except for 3DS which is significantly down (excluding 2DS).

Oh sure, I know that but the reports are what they are in terms of how the LTDs are summed in this thread and how MC/Famitsu reports a "year". But the rest of what I said, if Chris busts out his chart, is true.

The 2DS is definitely not going to cover 150k, however, and is probably about ~100k up and to so far.

Also we seem to have a tendency to jump around between what we use for "this year", and I prefer to keep it to "what do the trackers consider this year". If we factor in Week 53, which tends to be (by calendar) Week 1 of the subsequent year, the discussion (last week, and popping up from time to time, and used here as an example) about the PS4 vs. 3DS hardware for this year, becomes even more lopsided in favor of the 3DS at it adds another 60k to its YTD total which isn't a small amount when the two systems are straddling each other week in-to-week out even with the PS4 enjoying considerably more releases than the 3DS.

Vena

Why when 3rd parties are doing a decent job picking up the slack?

Because third parties need only be offered a better deal to disappear or offer their products elsewhere as well. If your entire audience is beholden to third parties and you do nothing with your internal development, then you effectively have a platform beholden to others for its survival and its value intrinsically linked to said presence.

Take the hypothetical and tired point of the NX handheld (bare with me, this is simply to make an example not to claim that the NX will get every game ever) coming to market and sharing all of these third parties with the Vita, but also providing a strong line-up that is unique to it from internal development. In such a scenario, what appeal does the Vita have to a consumer? It is a strictly inferior, less robust product because it offers nothing unique to itself vs. a competing product at market. As a consumer, would you even have confidence in the product to get supported well/for long if the parent company treats the item as a leper?

Of course, the Vita itself is simply stuck between a rock and a hard place. Sony's transitioned westward and they really have no need to invest in the product or in funding projects for it. They gave it a few titles early on when there was still hope (many of the projects in 2014 being pipelined before the system's global failure) but since then, they've no interest in supporting the product but unlike the PSTV, the system itself refuses to outright die in its home market. And in the home market, its a major pillar of the family of systems maintaining anything even remotely resembling passable software performance. (And this is where you see attempts to transition the audiences but the PSV and PS3 really do refuse to yield in the market (for software).)

... Part of the latter problem, of transitioning audiences, also wraps all the way around into the point that the three platforms are effectively indistinguishable from one another aside from the year they came out and their resolution/form factor as third parties are the major drivers for Japanese-aligned products, and all the software is everywhere. First party development has been slow and sparse this gen, and very few titles distinguish the platforms from one another. But this is where you see the western-aligned audience's strength on the PS4 because they aren't in such a scenario. There's a LOT of such titles providing enticing upgrade paths.

Top Bottom