• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2017 (Feb 27 - Mar 05)

Fisico

Well it's pretty bad for both Disgaea and Setsuna but I was expecting even worse.

The low sellthrough will make them long seller though not for good reasons.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, for Famitsu

Nintendo Switch HW - 330,637
Nintendo Switch SW (minus Nobunaga's Ambition) - 363,546
Nintendo Switch Tie Ratio - 1.1

SS

ßig

Unconfirmed Member
Puyo Puyo Tetris headed straight to bomba bins, along with Disgaea, Setsuna, and Nobunaga.

Puyo Puyo didn't show up on pre-order charts but debuted to 12k, how are you getting the sense that it's front loaded at all?

cheesekao

ßig;231696656 said:
Puyo Puyo didn't show up on pre-order charts but debuted to 12k, how are you getting the sense that it's front loaded at all?
Look at its shipment sell-through percentage.

kswiston

What was the final total for Disgaea 5 on PS4?

Also, how did that game do in the US relative to D3 or D4? I haven't liked the later games as much as I did the first, but it would be a shame to see the series die.

ßig;231696656 said:
Probably the not so hot sellthrough, but that's been par for the course for puyo games for years so idk what actual expectations are

SS

ßig

Unconfirmed Member
Look at its shipment percentage.

So? Why should retailers drop the price just because the earliest of the early adopters didn't buy all the copies? The game will continue to sell to new Switch owners at full price just fine.

hiska-kun

So, according to Famitsu, these are the shipment range:

Zelda Breat of the Wild - from 241k to 321k
1-2-Switch - from 103k to 137k
Bomberman R - from 50k to 66k
Dragon Quest Heroes 1-2 - from 43k to 64k
PuoPuyo - from 32k to 64k
Disgaea 5 - from 12k to 25k
Setsuna - from 11k to 23k

Nobunaga is the only game that hasn't charted

cheesekao

ßig;231696910 said:
So? Why should retailers drop the price just because the earliest of the early adopters didn't buy all the copies? The game will continue to sell to new Switch owners at full price just fine.
I doubt that. 20-40% is on the very low end.

Wow. I didn't even know horizon was releasing in Japan the same week. That's amazing that even got second, seeing as it's a western game that mostly controls like a third person shooter.

noshten

These games have been out for 2 days and there isn't much else to buy right now - so Bombabins might be something that's not needed until some more games are released

Bomberman and 1-2 Switch are going to need more shipments ;)

jonno394

Why is Disgaea struggling?

By all accounts, it's one of the strongest entries in the series.

A mix of it being 2 years old, full price, interest in the series seems to have massively declined and most Nintendo-only day one buyers probably have never played Disgaea before and likely have no real interest at present.

KtSlime

I disagree with the notion that owning a cart is so much better.

Japan in general finds physical releases better. Several factors contribute to this being the case.

Japan has a healthy second hand games market.

Retailers cannot return unsold games to the manufacturer.

Games are pretty front loaded.

This means that games get released, get bought up, played, and sold. Then retailers must compete with the second hand games market and will compete on price.

The digital market do not have these forces to drive down prices, and so they stay high, higher than the physical game.

Anyone who values the money saved (often a significant amount) and returned over the second or so it takes the pop in the cart will get the physical release.

Interfectum

That is pretty bad to Switch if this trend becomes true.

I hope 3DS users start to see Switch like an upgrade.

Eh? It's the first week... there should be no expectation of people dropping 3DS like a hot potato and migrate to a system with less than 10 games to play. 3DS users will come much later in this process.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

For launch it looks shipments were mostly well arranged from retailers. 1-2 surprisingly didn't have a massive one.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
That is pretty bad to Switch if this trend becomes true.

I hope 3DS users start to see Switch like an upgrade.

I think what others have said will come to fruition. Nintendo will continue to sell Switch at a premium while releasing the last few 3DS titles. Later on they'll introduce a new SKU to caters to the 3DS audience with a more reasonable price and form factor.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm guessing the Disgaea audience just isn't there on Nintendo consoles.

IIRC the PS4 sales were 20K first week 45K LTD- the idea that it was going to do well at launch on a system with 330K total owners is insane.

wrowa

I'm guessing the Disgaea audience just isn't there on Nintendo consoles.

That's certainly part of the reason, but Disgaea 5 already struggled to reach its audience on PS4. I think at this point it's a series that more or less outstayed its welcome.

Haha! All you suckers saying Disgaea 5 portable would sell 1/10th of what Disgaea 3 portable sold and look at it go, selling almost double that.

30./06. [PS4] The Witch and the Hundred Knights 2 # <RPG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2017.02.23} (¥7.200) - 2.728 / 18.437 <40-60%> (-83%)

All this Disgaea talk made me forget the real NIS bomba lately.

ethomaz

Banned
I disagree with the notion that owning a cart is so much better.
Physical give you a lot of more advantages than digital.

- Cheaper
- You can resell or buy from second hand
- You can trade
- You have your SD free
- No download/install when you want replay

Digital:

- No small physical card

In Japan these Physicsl advantages are even more exposed because it is common activity to resell, second hand buy, trade, etc.

That is it.

so between 230,981 and 238,112 for BOTW, add another 5-10% and we can safely assume its over 250K by now. Not bad at all for a week sales for BOTW in Japan.

cheesekao

That's certainly part of the reason, but Disgaea 5 already struggled to reach its audience on PS4. I think at this point it's a series that more or less outstayed its welcome.

IIRC the PS4 sales were 20K first week 45K LTD- the idea that it was going to do well at launch on a system with 330K total owners is insane.
Well yea, by the time Disgaea 5 was released, many Disgaea fans were still on PS3/Vita. The early life of the PS4 in Japan was pretty bad iirc.

02./00. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985) - 170.563 / NEW
06./00. [WIU] Nintendo Land <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥4.935) - 78.461 / NEW

01./00. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 193.060 / NEW
03./00. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥4.980) - 82.392 / NEW

1-2 Switch over Nintendo Land...

Pinky

Banned
Looks like a great start for Switch. And Zelda at #1? I thought the consensus in last week's MC thread was that Horizon would edge out Zelda to take the top spot. Clearly didn't happen. Regardless, good numbers all around! Next several weeks will be interesting to see how Switch performs post launch. Really need to pick up Horizon after I finish Zelda too.

Not buying this argument.

06./00. [PS3] Disgaea 3 (Nippon Ichi Software) - 54,596 / NEW
22./00. [PSV] Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention - (Nippon Ichi Software) - 22,453 / NEW

(41%)

04. / 00. [PS3] Disgaea 4 (Nippon Ichi Software) - 79.425 / NEW
04./00. [PSV] Disgaea 4 Return <SLG> (Nippon Ichi Software) - 33.749 / NEW

(42%)

13./00. [PS4] Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance # <SLG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2015.03.26} (¥7.776) - 22.725 / NEW

(22%)

Disgaea 3 was a Vita launch title too, yet managed to retain a larger FW proportion in comparison to the previous game. There's "not doing well" and then there's doing half as well even comparatively.

I'd say it's just franchise fatigue, but as I mentioned in my previous post, Witch & Hundred Knight collapsed in just its second entry. So...

so between 230,981 and 238,112 for BOTW, add another 5-10% and we can safely assume its over 250K by now. Not bad at all for a week sales for BOTW in Japan.
WW numbers for Zelda can be really really good at this point, taking into account that Japan is the place where Zelda sells less.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Not buying this argument.

06./00. [PS3] Disgaea 3 (Nippon Ichi Software) - 54,596 / NEW
22./00. [PSV] Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention - (Nippon Ichi Software) - 22,453 / NEW

(41%)

04. / 00. [PS3] Disgaea 4 (Nippon Ichi Software) - 79.425 / NEW
04./00. [PSV] Disgaea 4 Return <SLG> (Nippon Ichi Software) - 33.749 / NEW

(42%)

13./00. [PS4] Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance # <SLG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2015.03.26} (¥7.776) - 22.725 / NEW

(22%)

Disgaea 3 was a Vita launch title too, yet managed to retain a larger FW proportion in comparison to the previous game.

I'd say it's just franchise fatigue, but as I mentioned in my previous post, Witch & Hundred Knight collapsed in just its second entry. So...

So are you saying if it had sold 10K instead of 5K it would be a success? I think we're quibbling.

So are you saying if it had sold 10K instead of 5K it would be a success? I think we're quibbling.

Yeah. As well as can be expected in the circumstances, really.

I had initially thought the portable version would interest people who hadn't bothered buying the PS4 version (so might've done even better than that), but I think at the very least it should've retained the same level of people interested in a portable version of it.

Bear in mind, we're talking about an NIS who sold 13k of their second 'flagship' home console franchise just a couple of weeks ago. And that would put it up there just below the other ports on the system that were above the shit-tier.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
1-2-Switch had a big increase in sales comparing to preorders. It looks to be in better position from Nintendo Land.

ZR and ZL are already mapped to target lock and chat; +/- are menu buttons.

The point I'm making isn't that a single-screen solution is impossible, it's that the single-screen solution requires Capcom to make non-trivial adjustments to backport. I'm certain Capcom could have gotten MHXX-S out in time for a simultaneous release with the 3DS version but I don't think it's something that is worth pulling additional staff working on MH5 or whoknowswhat
ZR and ZL are throwaway buttons in MHGen. I use Type 5 for those which lets me use Hunter Arts 2 and 3. You can map other things to them in Type 1-4. A non-issue for porting. My point is just to say that MHGXX

Yeah, I got that, I would like to know why.

From my point of view, different from discs they doesnt have to install in the system and even though SD cards are cheap these days, I'd rather dont use my internal memory at all for bigger games if I can.

I imagine Switch will be this awesome indie and smaller game machine that will be mostly digital, so having the bigger games on a cartridge and not taking space is so much better to me.
For me personally, I've been selling a lot of my hard copies of games on eBay in favor of digital downloads. I'm in the process of de-cluttering my space with fewer games. So midway through 3DS lifecycle, I went all digital and will be all digital with Switch. It's more about me having a new interest on physical space and not having so much clutter. I can't keep buying bookshelves for all these games.

Looks like a great start for Switch. And Zelda at #1? I thought the consensus in last week's MC thread was that Horizon would edge out Zelda to take the top spot. Clearly didn't happen. Regardless, good numbers all around! Next several weeks will be interesting to see how Switch performs post launch. Really need to pick up Horizon after I finish Zelda too.
Agree, even the Switch version outsold Horizon and NSW+WII U outsold Horizon with a 2.16 ratio. I think this need their own thread like UK.

Top Bottom