• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media-Create: Sept 18-25

20k for a Xbox360 title isnt bad at all.

Maybe people comfused it for Pokemon?

We need a new prediction thread for X360 sales for next week. Ill be bold and say 2,014

With the origianl Xbox hitting 13 for no reason at all.

People need to stop getting worked up over every Japanese release. There really doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason as to what the next "Megaton" DS game will be in Japan. Of course those sales are still incredibly high, but people thinking there'd be an instant sellout were being silly. Nintendo knew how much they'd have to make.

A little bit early, perhaps, but let me show you my Pokemans chart; my Pokemans chart, let me show you it:

pokemanschart.jpg

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
typhonsentra said:
People need to stop getting worked up over every Japanese release. There really doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason as to what the next "Megaton" DS game will be in Japan. Of course those sales are still incredibly high, but people thinking there'd be an instant sellout were being silly. Nintendo knew how much they'd have to make.

for ****s sake

jamesinclair said:
20k for a Xbox360 title isnt bad at all.

Maybe people comfused it for Pokemon?

We need a new prediction thread for X360 sales for next week. Ill be bold and say 2,014

With the origianl Xbox hitting 13 for no reason at all.

Thats fantastic for a 360 title. 5.5k Projecy Sylphseed first day #s suck. I'm gonna go out on a limba nd guess 5,000 for 360 hardware this coming week.

Given first week day first week usualls for 360. I'm guessing 27K first week fore Dead rising, which would put it at #4 or 5 sales wise for 360 software in Japan. Sylpsheeed is probably gonna be about 8K.

AniHawk said:
But I don't know what else Nintendo can release at this point. Today is going to be THE high point of the DS's lifespan.
Sequels with wifi of course!

Brain Age Wifi
Big Brain Academy Wifi
New Super Mario Bros. 2 Wifi
Wario Ware Touched 2 Wifi

:D

Jiggy

elostyle said:
That'd be like 50% penetration at this point...
Ordinarily this is where I'd say "well, if people buy two versions of the game then it's a two-to-one software-to-hardware ratio, which helps," but then I remember the pictures of all the people playing their DSes while standing in line to buy DS Lites and realize that maybe that particular argument won't mean much this time around.

AniHawk said:
But I don't know what else Nintendo can release at this point. Today is going to be THE high point of the DS's lifespan.
Gold/Silver remakes. :D
After all, in Diamond/Pearl,
one of the Johto gym leaders
shows up to give you an item at one point, and there are all those unresolved tie-in plot points from FR/LG...
Although, yeah, I guess it's true that that wouldn't outdo D/P. So how about Mushroom Kingdom Hearts?

Jiggy37 said:
So how about Mushroom Kingdom Hearts?

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

I know this makes me a totally obsessed nerd but I was thinking about this alot yesterday. Not just FF characters + Nintendo characters... Squaresoft characters + Nintendo characters + Enix characters. I swear this game would sell HUGE in Japan, especially on the DS, and it would be the best fanservice EVER!!!! And they could get rid of the stupid keyblades - instead they could use actual swords from DQ, FF, and Nintendo series. Like Falchion from Fire Emblem, Master Sword from Zelda, Buster sword from FFVII, Gunblade from FFVIII, and oh so much more. And instead of playing like KH I'd like it to be a Zelda ripoff, with equipment and puzzles and such. But they could keep the summons (oh man oh man there'd be so many summons... examples would be Bahamut, some of Yuna's summons, Judgment/Catastrophe from Golden Sun, Legendary POKEMANZ, omgomgomgomg). I WANT TO MAKE THIS GAME. :'<

ok I'll stfu now. :D!!!!

jarrod

Banned
enishi said:
X360
Deadly Rising - 20k (82%)
Project Sylpheed - 5.5k (42%)

PSP
The Legend of Hero VI - 9k (56%)
Poor GameArts & Falcom. Dunno why they even bother really... if only there was a willing SEGA console on market for them. :/

20k for Dead Rising under it Z-rated circumstances is pretty great I'd say though.

Ikael

Just search for Monorojo & Drinky Crow's quotes. Pure gold. I remember one from Drinky about "crying bitter Nintendo fanboy tears while lining for Mario Renaissance for the 360". Worst GAF analyst ever!

CreatureX3 said:
Sequels with wifi of course!

Brain Age Wifi
Big Brain Academy Wifi
New Super Mario Bros. 2 Wifi
Wario Ware Touched 2 Wifi

JSS with more characters and wifi enabled

ops... this really exists :D

anyway, Wario Ware multiplayer is only for home console, same things could happen for Big Brain Academy, Wii version announced with multiplayer support

next million sellers on the way for DS ?

Osharemajo Love & Belly
JSS 2
DQM:J
Sangokushi Taisen

Dalthien

hydragonwarrior said:
What Eddz said, more quotes please :)
Here are several more quotes from some of GAF's more well-known posters. There are literally hundreds of quotes like these. The majority of GAF was convinced that the PSP would steamroll the DS and leave Nintendo a broken shell of a company. Sonycowboy was in especially rare form. He usually tries to remain at least partially neutral, but the certainty of the PSP dominance just pushed him over the edge. :)

From Oct 29/04
sonycowboy said:
I think it's clear to all of us that Nintendo will eventually be forced out of the hardware business. They shouldn't lose money to stop that from happening. It's inevitable. Sony's PSP agrressiveness just underlines that. R&D is getting increasingly expensive and Nintendo doesn't appear to have the resources to keep up. If they want to continue on like Apple has, they can be a pretty profitable company, but there days as #1 are far behind them in the console arena and within the next 5-10 years, at most, that will be true of portable gaming as well.

From Dec 11/04
sonycowboy said:
Put the PSP next to the DS in the eyes of a customer and you can bury the DS the next day. The DS started very well, but so did the Dreamcast.

The DS, IMHO, was a knee jerk reaction to the PSP and is sloppy all the way down the board. The launch titles between the two systems are night and day. The DS couldn't even sell 1-1 software to hardware.

The PSP is over a generation ahead in terms of technology and is going to wipe the floor with the DS.

I completely respect Nintendo as a software company, but as far as hardware is concerned, they are a sheep lost in the woods, and Sony is coming home to grandma's house (how's that for mixed literary allusions? :D)

The DS will sell decently for 6-12 months, but it's so far behind the PSP, customers are going to jump ship.

From Dec 12/04
drohne said:
really sony won this in the design phase when their ambition so outstripped nintendo's. and they sealed that when they set such an agressive launch price. all that's left is to watch it play out. the psp and the ds are going to sit next to one another in shops, and that direct comparison won't be at all flattering to ds.

probably the relevant question now is whether nintendo should get out of software as well. given the example of mario 64 ds, it seems nintendo aren't even competent curators of their own faded legacy. they can't understand what makes mario 64 good, let alone develop new games to rival it. i hear nintendo used to make lovely playing cards. everyone likes playing cards.

Drinky Crow said:
Ah, the sweet, sweet desperation of Nintendo fans. Sony's willing to take the hit to give us gamers $500 worth of hardware for $200. THAT'S what we as consumers want from companies -- not dated, 1997-era technology repackaged with an extra low-res screen and a stylus. The DS might as well be stillborn. Once it saturates the hardcore Nintendo fanbase, it'll trickle off into irrelevance and OH HOW I'LL LAFF.

PSP vs DS is gonna become the NEW analogy of choice for demonstrating Nintendo incompetence.

By the time the current GBA audience is ready to upgrade their newly-purchased SPs, the PSP will be a legitimate phenomenon, and the DS pulpiteers will still be cruising the local EBs vainly looking for Pictochat partners.

From Dec 13/04
sonycowboy said:
Square Enix already has a game for the PSP and word is that quite a few more are to follow. I fully expect SE to be completely behind PSP in short order. They were concerned about a number of things, but with the news over the past 6 months and Sony's backburning of UMD movies and music (for the most part) over the next year or so, I think those concerns have been addressed.

In the next 2 years, which system do you believe will recieve the majority of SE's attention / new announcements?

It's like putting Claudia Shiffer next to Kirstie Alley. She might have been decent in her time (especially in Star Trek 2 ;), but now ...

Where's Elmo now? :lol
Cabbage Patch Kids?
DS = 15 minutes in the sun.

dark10x said:
Yes, only the DS moves MUCH faster than the Pokemon franchise! It will only take months to die out, rather than decades! :p

From July 22/05
Mrbob said:
I'm surprised people think the DS will split with the PSP in Europe. Especially when GBA does the worst in Europe. While from everything I read Playstation all owns Europe. I expect the PSP to beat the DS handily in Europe. Japan may be close to a near 50/50 split by the time everything is done. DS should do OK in NA too, but the PSP is going to overtake this year and won't look back. I can see perhaps a 60/40 or 65/35 PSP advantage share in NA over time. The nice thing about this is you can see Nintendos dominant hold on the portable empire is over.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Square Enix already has a game for the PSP and word is that quite a few more are to follow. I fully expect SE to be completely behind PSP in short order.
:lol

Dalthien said:
Here are several more quotes from some of GAF's more well-known posters. There are literally hundreds of quotes like these. The majority of GAF was convinced that the PSP would steamroll the DS and leave Nintendo a broken shell of a company. Sonycowboy was in especially rare form. He usually tries to remain at least partially neutral, but the certainty of the PSP dominance just pushed him over the edge. :)

And now the party line is that the DS was always known to be a success, because it inherited the GBA's success.

Dalthien said:

From Oct 29/04

From Dec 11/04

From Dec 12/04

From Dec 13/04

From July 22/05

I never saw sonycowboy not only so partial, but so wrong as well :lol :lol :lol

To be fair and observant though, he covered himself by saying 5-10 years for Nintendo's dominance destruction. But completely missed it how DS would only sell for a year and then die off and be left a waste compared to PSP.

I ROFL at them all

Saoh

Dalthien said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol

gold

Square Enix already has a game for the PSP and word is that quite a few more are to follow. I fully expect SE to be completely behind PSP in short order. They were concerned about a number of things, but with the news over the past 6 months and Sony's backburning of UMD movies and music (for the most part) over the next year or so, I think those concerns have been addressed.

In the next 2 years, which system do you believe will recieve the majority of SE's attention / new announcements?

It's like putting Claudia Shiffer next to Kirstie Alley. She might have been decent in her time (especially in Star Trek 2 ;), but now ...

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Can't wait to see what quotes will be uncovered in two years time.

Link

The Autumn Wind
yudaan said:
Someone find vireland's quote as well. That's always good for a laugh.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1128502&postcount=43

vireland said:
GBA was looked at, but there's still just too much risk with cart format stuff. Yes, the lead times have come down closer to disc based media, but it's still too long for a small niche pub like us. Therefore, no GBA or DS stuff from us.

Another factor (as I already posted in our threads at www.workingdesigns.com a while ago) is that I firmly now believe that the DS is indeed stillborn. I wanted to like it, but Nintendo's making it really, really hard. I'm keeping one system to play Goemon and Castlevania DS, and that's about it. My kids have moved on to PSP and are selling their DS machines, as I imagine many will once they experience the sexiness and functionality of the PSP.
Those poor kids must be so disappointed right now.

chadums90

Drohne said:
really sony won this in the design phase when their ambition so outstripped nintendo's. and they sealed that when they set such an agressive launch price. all that's left is to watch it play out. the psp and the ds are going to sit next to one another in shops, and that direct comparison won't be at all flattering to ds.

probably the relevant question now is whether nintendo should get out of software as well. given the example of mario 64 ds, it seems nintendo aren't even competent curators of their own faded legacy. they can't understand what makes mario 64 good, let alone develop new games to rival it. i hear nintendo used to make lovely playing cards. everyone likes playing cards.

Oh, platitudes and verbosity. They can make you sound smart most of the time - but when you say something ridiculous, you sound even worse.

Souldriver said:
While at the time they seemed like sincere estimations, some of these quotes just sound like bad troll attemps now.

This, my friend, is the fate of all the internet analysts. Nobody can be right all the time, right ?

Joe Molotov

sonycowboy said:
I completely respect Nintendo as a software company, but as far as hardware is concerned, they are a sheep lost in the woods, and Sony is coming home to grandma's house (how's that for mixed literary allusions? )

drohne said:
given the example of mario 64 ds, it seems nintendo aren't even competent curators of their own faded legacy.

I love how the imminent downfall of the DS brought out the poet-philospher in everyone. :lol

P90

That was when a post that was nonsupportive of the PSP resulted in a ban. I got a two weeker. More than a few got permabanned for saying that "the handheld war was over" in Nintendo's favor. I think some of the mods should come forward and unban some people. Reality has shown that the exiles were right.

Joe Molotov said:
I love how the imminent downfall of the DS brought out the poet-philospher in everyone. :lol

Well drohne specially, he probably saves all his sentences to see how good he is at writing 5 cent words and thinking he's some game philosopher or something like that.....

sonycowboy said:
Square Enix already has a game for the PSP and word is that quite a few more are to follow. I fully expect SE to be completely behind PSP in short order.

There are not enough :lol s.

Top Bottom