• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media-Create: Sept 18-25

AniHawk said:
I know. I'm just saying that this is most likely the highest point in the system's lifespan. I don't think the DS will be reaching PSP sales levels ANY time soon (maybe, maybe in oh... two years or so), but Pokemon DP had to be The Biggest Thing they could've done. Phenomenon + Phenomenon.

I agree with this.

I defy someone to name something that could be bigger on DS. I don't think even a pipe dream like DQ9DS could manage what Pokemon will do.

DS and Pokemon are two phenomena that fit together so perfectly...

Fire Emblems aren't mega sellers I believe. That fact plus the fact that FEs take a lot of planning and time makes me wonder how it's a "perfect fit" for the DS (aside from better use of graphical capabilties).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
TheGreatDave said:
New Super Mario Bros 2 could be big. It's sequel time from here on out!

It took Nintendo 15 years to make a 2D sequel to SMW, and I'm afraid they won't be in any rush to make another one anytime soon. I hope, though. Another platformer, but this time with awesome sprites, and a flying item would be sax.

cvxfreak

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/top30/2006/09/28/120,1159369270,60937,0,0.html

h-121_60938_061013hard.jpg.jpg

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
cvxfreak said:
DSL 139,835
PS2 32,673
PSP 23,118
GBASP 2,145
GBM 1,186
Xbox360 1,109
GC 763
DS 316
GBA 20
Xbox 8
meh, who cares now about last week chart. We want THIS week chart

cvxfreak said:
DSL 139,835
PS2 32,673
PSP 23,118
GBASP 2,145
GBM 1,186
Xbox360 1,109
GC 763
DS 316
GBA 20
Xbox 8

Its bakc over 1000. Next week is gonna be really interesting between TGS Projcect Sylphseed and Dead rising how much 360 sales increase.

KINGMOKU

cvxfreak said:
DSL 139,835
PS2 32,673
PSP 23,118
GBASP 2,145
GBM 1,186
Xbox360 1,109
GC 763
DS 316
GBA 20
Xbox 8
I dont understand how the damn DS can stay up above 100,000 units all the time. It makes no sense. Even thier own PR bullshit about "grabbing new players" has its damn limit. This is ****ing stupid now. Is everyone in Japan buying a DS or what?

WTF is going on in Japan?

castle007

Banned
cvxfreak said:
DSL 139,835
PS2 32,673
PSP 23,118
GBASP 2,145
GBM 1,186
Xbox360 1,109
GC 763
DS 316
GBA 20
Xbox 8

momentum!!!!!

I think that xbox sales is really affecting the Xbox360 sales!!!!

I mean, look at all the Xbox users that could have bought a 360!!!!!

donny2112

This is the last graph pre-Pokemon. :p

JPNHandhelds-2.png

Looking at the graph, the DS weekly total has only fallen below the Lite's launch numbers 3 times. Every other week since the beginning of March has been higher than what the DS Lite launch total was.

PSP under 25k. Is there anything coming out until MGS:pO that could give the PSP another boost? I fear it might dip to new lows with the furor over DS and Pokemon taking the stage.

donny2112

miguel_c_hammer said:
I fear it might dip to new lows with the furor over DS and Pokemon taking the stage.

The PSP has been fairly insulated from whatever the DS was doing at the time. It might not see much change for next week.

I'm guessing pokemon for DS will sellout in week 1.. that's no bold statement or anything so whatever they ship they should sell.

hardware i'm guessing DS moves 350k I'd think most people that wanted a DS would have one by now! but of course you could say the same for ps2.. and that's still truckin along

KINGMOKU

edwardslane said:
I'm guessing pokemon for DS will sellout in week 1.. that's no bold statement or anything so whatever they ship they should sell.

hardware i'm guessing DS moves 350k I'd think most people that wanted a DS would have one by now! but of course you could say the same for ps2.. and that's still truckin along
The news had the DS selling 500,000 units in 10hours alongside the Pokemon games. You will see perhaps a brand-new high ever in Japan. My guess is above 800,000 for the week.

castle007

Banned
edwardslane said:

you are joking, right??? :lol

Scalemail Ted said:
If news is true then what about next week? Is there anything left to sell?

It appears that they are able to make and ship ~150k DSL a week, so there should still be some next week, even after the 1 million that were supposedly shipped this week. Of course, now they have to start thinking about restocking for the holiday season, assuming they blew their load this week for the pokemon launch.

The usual

GBASP at 29 weeks: 1.57M
DSL at 29 weeks: 4.42M
Time for GBASP to reach 4.42M: 91 weeks

"GBA after SP" at 29 weeks: 428K
"DS after DSL" at 29 weeks: 480K
Time for "GBA after SP" to reach 480K: 37 weeks

DS at 29 weeks: 2.50M
PSP at 29 weeks: 1.46M
GBM at 29 weeks: 470K

Graphically

Other things of note:

Looks like the PSP has slipped back a bit again. Early in the year it was behind its 2005 total, but as of 2 weeks ago raised up to 5.78% over its 2005 numbers, being the only non-DS system to show an increase. I guess the combination of a couple weak weeks in a row, and that the 2005 numbers just reached the point of white PSP/Winning Eleven/Advent Children caused things to change a bit, as it's now several hundred units behind last year, or 0.03%.

I know it just sounds like more PSP bashing, but one of my stupider old calculations has reached a new milestone. The "If DS stopped selling, and PSP sold as it did this week for every week, when would it catch up to DS?" number for the first time hit 2012. August 26 2012, actually.

It appears that DS+DSL2006 have taken a slight lead on the total hardware sales from 2003 and 2005. To remain higher than 2005, though, more than 4 million DSes would need to sell by the end of the year.

saz said:
There are more DS's sold in Japan than there are minutes in a week.
Err... that's only a bit above 10,000.

Oblivion said:
It took Nintendo 15 years to make a 2D sequel to SMW, and I'm afraid they won't be in any rush to make another one anytime soon. I hope, though. Another platformer, but this time with awesome sprites, and a flying item would be sax.

I think the sales for NSMB, and the boost it gave the DS in all regions (with the Lite) could make them think seriously about it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
ff3 will probably reached a million if it keeps up like this, cant believe AC is still in the top 10.

cvxfreak

Error2k4 said:
ff3 will probably reached a million if it keeps up like this, cant believe AC is still in the top 10.

Yeah... about less than 300K to go. The holiday season should be kind to it, and I'm sure it'll get a boost thanks to Pokemon making 1 Million hardware units available and the 99% sell-through rate every week.

BTW, www.game-science.com is back people. Can, uh, someone give hardware totals one last time? :lol We're in the process of restoring the Media Create archive.

STG!

Totally enjoy seeing those charts donny. Thanks for that.

Outside of hardware, it sometimes seems that Nintendo has such a tough time producing enough supply in regards to carts (especially for a game like FFIII, and supplying the rest of the world). How many facilities can produce game cards for the DS, there must be at least 2 or 3?

TheGreatDave said:
I think the sales for NSMB, and the boost it gave the DS in all regions (with the Lite) could make them think seriously about it.
Super Mario 64, huge success, called "greatest game of all time" by many... no sequel until 6 years later.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Super Mario 64, huge success, called "greatest game of all time" by many... no sequel until 6 years later.

Speaking of which, hasn't NSMB already beat the japanese sales for SMB64... and currently tailing SMW? We need another Mario Chart soon^^

Clever Pun said:
It appears that they are able to make and ship ~150k DSL a week, so there should still be some next week, even after the 1 million that were supposedly shipped this week. Of course, now they have to start thinking about restocking for the holiday season, assuming they blew their load this week for the pokemon launch.

New extended forcast:

Minion in october: "Iwata, Iwata! Were trying as hard as we can, but theres no more silicon left! We cant make more DS units!"

Iwata: "For the love of easter! Begin a rebuy program. We buy DSPhat for 600 yen, GBA carts for 200 yen. Melt them down for the silicon. Also start two new promotions. Give Nintendo a PS3, and well melt it down for you to get a DS. Bring in silicon breasts and you get the special edition jinx ds"

Minion: "And what if we dont get enough???"

Iwata: "then you have 5 hours to figure out a component suitable to replace silicon in our chips"

Minion: '5 hours??!?! thats nothing!"

Iwata "Godamnit man, at the current rate, thats 14,862 DS units that we could be selling in those 5 hours!"

Xeke

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:

Console Game = Bigger development team, high cost and longer development time.

I assure you NSMB took nowhere near as long as SM64 to make.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
moku said:

Hmmm I could see it passing Super Mario World by the end of the year, maybe Super Mario Brothers 3... The original might be tough. But that's not fair considering it was bundled. (I think... maybe it was different in Japan.)

KINGMOKU

I wonder how many copies Mario can average untill January 1st.

There are roughly 12 weeks left until January1st, and if it can stay at it's 50,000 a week flow, and get some big boost's during the holidays, like a couple of 100,000+ weeks, it could creep up on, or even pass SMB3. If it has a really big week while maitaining its 50,000 a week deal(Like a 300,000 unit week during new years) it could be sitting right at SML, wich would be an unreal achievment.

Passing the original seems almost outlandish at this point, but Marios legs could be long lasting....

dyls

So is it safe to say that the DS will end up having had hardware shortages for over a year? I mean, has there been a single week since December 05 where there have actually been more DS units available than there was demand? I don't think so, and I'm pretty sure we'll make it through the rest of the year without that changing. That might be the single most amazing statistic I can think of.

Top Bottom