• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Software 08/08-/14/08 (Coming soon, Dengeki for now.)

anthony

Rock_Man said:
1(NEW) DS Jump Super Stars (Nintendo)
3(8) DS Yawaraka Atama Juku (Nintendo)
7(13) DS Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training (Nintendo)
8(NEW) PSP Mobile Suit Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Zeon no Keifu (Bandai)

15(10) DS Power Pocket Koushien (Konami)
20(14) PSP Taiko no Tatsujin Bataburu ( Namco)
23(26) DS Naturo RPG 2: Chidori vs Rasengan (Tomy)
25(33) DS Nintendogs: Shiba and Friends (Nintendo)

29(20) PSP Tenchu: Shinobi Taizen (From Software)
32(39) DS Nintendogs: Dachs and Friends (Nintendo)
34(43) DS Nintendogs: Chihuahua and Friends (Nintendo)

35(29) DS Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubadour (Konami)
36(48) DS Sawaru Made in Wario (Nintendo)
39(36) DS Rockman EXE 5 DS: Twin Leaders (Capcom)
40(OUT) DS Touch! Kirby (Nintendo)
43(27) DS Ouendan (Nintendo)
46(OUT) DS Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
50(46) DS Full Metal Alchemist: Dual Symphony (Bandai)

Everything moving up is bolded.

JESUS! Does nintendo include a sachet of crack within each DS gamebox? How is it kicking so much arse?? I know it's good but, well, wow.

cvxfreak

Has any platform in Japan performed this well in the past? I'm talking about massive sales spikes within a year of release not attributed to increased availability? This is insane, I don't know if even GBA did this in its first year.

so WE9 won't reach 1m....well...at least it seems it will be the summer best seller...

Let's stop JSS rumors, 200k were the preorders, 320k de first shipment, 220k the first entire week sales ¿ok? :)

AniHawk

CVXFREAK said:
Has any platform in Japan performed this well in the past? I'm talking about massive sales spikes within a year of release not attributed to increased availability? This is insane, I don't know if even GBA did this in its first year.

I don't think so. Within a year of release, the DS could likely be Japan's most successful handheld ever (knock on wood).

anthony

...and to think, nintendo were distancing DS from the GameBoy brand for fear of it tainting the GameBoy "label". :lol

now, i'm positive many of the DS's features will be present in the next GameBoy due to it's success.

Deku

Banned
Hindisight is 20/20 and I have no way to prove I said what I'm about to say since I wasn't posting on GAF when I said it, but when it was announced in 2004, I felt the third pillar PR was basically a life boat for Nintendo. If the DS failed, they drop the machine and go on with Game Boy. It is a way of testing new ideas without tarnishing the Game Boy brand.

It is succeeds, DS features goes into the next Game Boy and the DS brand itself may simply morph into another experimental product or be folded back into Game Boy. In short, all the options are open to Nintendo at this point.

For the next GameBoy though, one single large touch screen would be more in-line with the traditional Game Boy configuation of having only one screen. I do firmly believe the touch screen and PDA like features and software are here to stay.

Shao

Also calling it Gameboy would not fall into the DS strategy. DS is as much for adults and women as it is for "boys", the GB brand would have hurt them in that area.

I wouldn't be surprised if from now on GB was almost relegated to a poket-money type brand. Sure the GB is a monster, BUT how do you go from innovative and all-appealing DS to GB Next? I don't think it can be done properly. If anything that would limit the DS potential for stuff like brain training or PDA software.

Wonder how much JSS will sell all together. Whats the biggest selling game which isnt FF/DQ/Pokemon/Mario/GT4 related?

I assume those are the big 5 sellers in Japan? How does Zelda usually do? For all its "best game ever" qualities and cheering at conferences, the sales are never that amazing.

anthony said:
...and to think, nintendo were distancing DS from the GameBoy brand for fear of it tainting the GameBoy "label". :lol

now, i'm positive many of the DS's features will be present in the next GameBoy due to it's success.

IAWTP

cvxfreak

Shao said:
Wonder how much JSS will sell all together. Whats the biggest selling game which isnt FF/DQ/Pokemon/Mario/GT4 related?

Either Winning Eleven or Dynasty Warriors, although as we can see, Winning Eleven is fading a bit. DW5 also sold a bit less than DW4 for now. I think after those 7, Kirby, RockMan EXE, Metal Gear Solid, Super Robot Taisen, Gundam and the Tales series are somewhere below in varying degrees.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Very nice numbers. I hope Nintendo is able to bring over those sales for Brain Trainings and Nintendogs to USA and Europe.

Culex

Banned
Fortunately, I was dead wrong about sales. I figured since DS hardware sales had dropped a bit last week, leading up to JSS, it wouldn't affect it quite as much.

I'd imagine that JSS will have the usual 60-70% sales drop next week and sell around 85k.

August is going to be a STELLAR month, with Castlevania hitting near the end. Really, there doesn't seem to be an end in sight for the DS domination. I'm amazed at how the opposite is so true in the US right now.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
An explanation of the sales chart from MC's English page:
Sales of the top 100 titles totaled 1,030,933 units, 67.67% of last week's total and 132.43% of the weekly average. The percentage of the previous week's total fell due to the absence of new titles comparable to last week's "World Soccer Winning Eleven 9." However, the total number of units sold surpassed the million mark as it did last week.

Seven new releases ranked among the top 100 titles, a low number compared to last week's. Top-ranked "JUMP SUPER STARS" (approximately 221,000 units) was prominent, but the impact of other titles was somewhat small. The share of sales accounted for by new titles dropped from 70.66% to 31.13%, suggesting that the new titles rush experienced up until last week has also slowed down a notch.

It seemed as if the hardware market had gotten a sudden boost from factors such as the launch of new colors for DS, but there were no outstanding developments other than DS's performance. It seems that the market boost was no more than a temporary jump caused by the overlap of the Bon holiday and the release of new colors.

jarrod

Banned
Shao said:
I assume those are the big 5 sellers in Japan? How does Zelda usually do? For all its "best game ever" qualities and cheering at conferences, the sales are never that amazing.
On consoles...

The Hyrule Fantasy~ 1.520.000
Link no Daibouken~ 1.800.000
Kamigami no Tri-Force~ 1.160.000
Ocarina of Time~ 1.450.000
Majora no Kamen~ 680.000
Kaze no Takuto~ 750.000

heidern

Current biggest Japanese franchises based on most recent performance:
Pokemon > 4 million
Dragon Quest > 3.5 million
Final Fantasy > 2.5 million
Smash Bros > 1.3 million
Gran Turismo > 1 million
Dynasty Warriors > 1 million
Kingdom Hearts > 1 million
Everybody's Golf > 1 million
Winning Eleven > 1 million(but will be down after Winning Eleven 9 final count)

Duckhuntdog said:
So, Nintendo's doomed right?
Yes, Nintendo's doomed the psp.

Zeo

Banned
Hm, someone should post the whole 50 in English here.

(If not just because my computer is screwed up and won't view the page, heh.)

jarrod

Banned
heidern said:
Kingdom Hearts > 1 million
Not exactly... KH only passed a million if you count the Final Mix release too. On it's own, it sold about the same as Wind Waker in Japan (700-800k). If we add subsequent enhanced rereleases, then Pokemon passes 6 million, Dynasty Warriors/Winning Eleven pass 1.5 million, Animal Crossing passes 1 million, etc.

mj1108

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
btw....daily sales of 08/18
#1 Naruto PS2
#2 Jump Super Stars NDS
#3 Winning Eleven 9 PS2

It fell!! JSS bomba!!! Nintendo doomed!!!
[/sarcasm]

8/18 was a Thursday -- new release day.
[/damage control]

Dalthien said:
That was JJS. Should be around soon. :)
Whoops. I've been slacking lately, but I guess this is a pretty notable week.

Since DS had such a lead on PSP this week, various percentages were quite altered, too. Like the DS/PSP shares for the year were 53.7% and 46.3% respectively, but are now 55.1% and 44.9%. For just a single week, this is the biggest percentage advantage DS has had since PSP launch: 80.4% DS, 19.6% PSP.

Total hardware sold among the three manufacturers for the year went from (N/S/M) 44.3 / 55.5 / 0.2 to 45.3 / 54.5 / 0.2.

Charts for today
Weekly sales throughout 2005
20050821dspspweekly2005.gif

The complementary DS/PSP share since DS launch
20050821dspsptotalshares.gif

polg

JoshuaJSlone said:
Whoops. I've been slacking lately, but I guess this is a pretty notable week.

Since DS had such a lead on PSP this week, various percentages were quite altered, too. Like the DS/PSP shares for the year were 53.7% and 46.3% respectively, but are now 55.1% and 44.9%. For just a single week, this is the biggest percentage advantage DS has had since PSP launch: 80.4% DS, 19.6% PSP.

Total hardware sold among the three manufacturers for the year went from (N/S/M) 44.3 / 55.5 / 0.2 to 45.3 / 54.5 / 0.2.

Charts for today
Weekly sales throughout 2005
20050821dspspweekly2005.gif

The complementary DS/PSP share since DS launch
20050821dspsptotalshares.gif

sexy charts :D

Top Bottom