• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet Lammily the "normal" Barbie doll. Now with stretch marks, cellulite and acne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the point, but obviously kids want an idealized comically perfect doll. When I was a kid, boys didn't want wimpy GI Joes and He-Mans. We wanted roided up ANIMALS.

I don't think our experience as boys/men, as well as our "role models", idols, or ideas of physical perfection, equate to that of girls/women.

aly

This kind of reminds me of that other thread about Elsa being more popular than Anna. I see poor Lammily as Anna and Barbie as Elsa. Is there a black version of this doll?

My job is working with children. At least the ones that I work with don't play with them. They love to play Doctor, house or play with legos or blocks but we just got rid of the dolls because no one used them. Tbh the boys used them more because they would throw them around and stuff.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
what kind of car will she have? a used 1995 ford taurus?

Barbie > Lammily (what kind of name is that?)

braves01

Banned
Why are they giving her stretchmarks? Unless she's pregnant, bulking, or going through puberty and growing at an extremely accelerated rate, stretch marks are usually indicators of unhealthy weight gain.

stilgar

My job is working with children. At least the ones that I work with don't play with them. They love to play Doctor, house or play with legos or blocks but we just got rid of the dolls because no one used them. Tbh the boys used them more because they would throw them around and stuff.

I don't wanna generalize either, but in my family & their friends, they do (and the boys too).
So let's go for a #notallchildren :p

Why is it one extreme to the other. Girls shouldn't be anorexic but it should not be ok to tell girls that being fat is A-ok either

Good thing she isn't fat.

Why are they giving her stretchmarks? Unless she's pregnant, bulking, or going through puberty and growing at an extremely accelerated rate, stretch marks are usually indicators of poor health and shouldn't be portrayed as desirable.

Optional accessory = portrayed as desirable?

Kinyou

I'll put her right next to my average Ken. I also already bought the average car, and the average 1,6 kids. I'm going to have such an average time.

I don't wanna generalize either, but in my family & their friends, they do (and the boys too).
So let's go for a #notallchildren :p

I work with over a 100 children a year so I don't believe I am generalizing all that much. They still sell because parents still buy them and I am not saying no kids play with them they just aren't what they used to be.

DopeToast

Banned
I'd like to think that children could still play with a Barbie doll and not think that this is how women do or should look. It's a doll, and I don't see why it has to be 100 representative of the average of the population. This just seems like a weird fight. Should all MatchBox cars be Honda Civics and Ford Focuses because it's unrealistic to think you'll have a Porsche or Ferrari? Obviously it's not a perfect analogy, but just something I thought of.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with having an realistic looking doll as well. The option is nice.

aly

Why are they giving her stretchmarks? Unless she's pregnant, bulking, or going through puberty and growing at an extremely accelerated rate, stretch marks are usually indicators of unhealthy weight gain.

Because stretch marks are realistic. I have them and most women I know have them. They're not being portrayed as desirable but people have them. Besides its optional.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Great. Let's make everything ugly so that nobody is offended.

Are you in GamerGate? Your sensibilities seem to match.

It being ugly is obviously your opinion (one that I don't really share), but why do you think the existence of this doll will come at the expense of things that you consider not ugly? More options does not mean less options.

Cagey

Banned
Because stretch marks are realistic. I have them and most women I know have them. They're not being portrayed as desirable but people have them. Besides its optional.

How many kids in the demographic for playing with dolls have stretch marks or have any concept of what they are? Cellulite too, to a lesser extent.

It's an option. Options are nice. The option isn't there for realism for little girls; it's for "wow. such progressive. many open mind." responses from adults.

How many kids in the demographic for playing with dolls have stretch marks or have any concept of what they are? Cellulite too, to a lesser extent.

It's an option. Options are nice. The option isn't there for realism for little girls; it's for "wow. such progressive. many open mind." responses from adults.

Kid sees that mommy has stomach marks. During playtime wants doll to look like mommy.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Those things are in the title of the thread, but I don't see them on the doll at all.

They aren't. They're stickers that you apply to the doll as a "customization" thing wherever you want.

Braves01 said:
They better release a c-section scar accessory too.

That's in there, from the article I read about this yesterday.

Reversed

I like the average look but I believe they went the easy way by using stickers for acne and stretch marks. It should have been included within the doll's plastic skin.

stilgar

Are you in GamerGate? Your sensibilities seem to match.

I am not 13 years old.

As for the way more interesting rest of your post, I will develop more when I'm not on my phone, but I'm not convinced, to say the least, by the "let's make toy realistic" trend. Children don't need to have acne barbie, they'll know it soon enough.

aly

They would probably understand that the doll has similar marks to their parents at least and understand that that's normal. Or something like that. Even if the option is mostly there for adults, it wouldn't change the effect it could have on young girls.

Kid sees that mommy has stomach marks. During playtime wants doll to look like mommy.

Well I would've wanted the opposite of mommy, cause I use to think those things were gross worms :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom