• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the Fantastic Four

Status
Not open for further replies.

woolley

I PLEAD TO ALL USERS ON THIS FORUM...
DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE, MAKE FOX LOSE THE RIGHTS!

THROUGH WORD OF MOUTH DON'T LET YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY WATCH IT EITHER.
YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY SHOULD NOT CONTRIBUTE TO THIS.

But what if its good?

I DISAGREE WITH THIS MAN
MINE'S BOLDED
LISTEN TO MEEE

Will most likely be Sue seeing a young Johnny on the streets, asking her mom isn't there anyway we can do anything. And Sue's family will adopt him and he'll be grateful and loyal and protect Sue growing up etc. This is Hollywood. Could've made a real statement with having both siblings be black, provide a young sexy black actress a chance to be a leading lady, play up an interracial angle with Reed Richards. They could have cast Reed as a black male lead, kept the Storm siblings white.

Instead, they get their token diversity casting and will whitewash who he is, so that his only differentiator is that he is black. They want you to see that he's black, but they don't want you to appreciate he's black. Essentially, because of the past two films, people will view Johnny as the comedy relief as well. A guy earlier in the thread had a better point, could have made a better statement making Ben Grimm(Thing) black. Already viewed as different, how will he deal with yet again being different to where even black people wouldn't understand him etc.

I agree for the most part. Either make both Storm siblings black, make The Thing black, or even Reed black. Hell, make them all black. It just seems contrived based strictly on how it's casted right now. Maybe it will make sense once we find out why one sibling is white and the other is black.

I don't mind this casting. My main problem is that Marvel Studios should be handling the FF and not Fox. Fox having X-Men and Sony having Spider-Man is one thing but FF going to Marvel will probably happen before X-Men/SM does.

If they choose to make this movie, try at least to make it good please........

Will most likely be Sue seeing a young Johnny on the streets, asking her mom isn't there anyway we can do anything. And Sue's family will adopt him and he'll be grateful and loyal and protect Sue growing up etc. This is Hollywood. Could've made a real statement with having both siblings be black, provide a young sexy black actress a chance to be a leading lady, play up an interracial angle with Reed Richards. They could have cast Reed as a black male lead, kept the Storm siblings white.

Instead, they get their token diversity casting and will whitewash who he is, so that his only differentiator is that he is black. They want you to see that he's black, but they don't want you to appreciate he's black. Essentially, because of the past two films, people will view Johnny as the comedy relief as well. A guy earlier in the thread had a better point, could have made a better statement making Ben Grimm(Thing) black. Already viewed as different, how will he deal with yet again being different to where even black people wouldn't understand him etc.

this a million times over

I don't think statements are trying to be made with a rushed Fantastic Four movie and the 'they' in your write-up seems like a bogeyman. The director is friends with Jordan and doesn't necessarily give a crap about the source material. He asks Jordan, 'Want to be in this movie?' That's probably the extent of the situation. It comes off as 'token diversity casting' to the general public, perhaps, but I'm feeling like it's just a guy asking another guy if he wants to be in his next movie.

If anything the 'statement' you're looking for is about interracial couples / adoption.

Wiktor

Yeah, but they won't want to make another...
Make it an epic bomb.

Nope. If it bombs they will just wait it out a bit and try again. They're never giving up those licenses. Same with Xmen. And Sony with Spiderman. You can stop hoping. It will never happen.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
But what if its good?

Fox is making this. So, yeah.

And come on, just look at that casting? I'm scared as hell to see how they fuck up Doctor Doom this time around. Will Galactus be a giant cloud again?

Seriously, anyone who has hopes of this being anything other than a quick train wreck just to keep the movie rights from slipping need a reality check. I don't know why they even bother, I guess they must make some profit off of these terrible movies. I wish Marvel could get FF4 back, just imagine the possibilities....

Blader

Seems like Mark Millar just found out about the possible cast. What the hell is he doing at Fox anyway?

Absolutely nothing. He's not talking to anyone and no one is talking to him. And if his role wasnt totally moot before, it definitely is now since Fox has hired Simon Kinberg to shepherd the shared universe stuff.

Pop

Don't worry, just wait until the trailer is released. Watch the youtubes blow up.

Kinyou

Let me get this straight.

This guy is supposed to portray the smartest person on Earth.
tumblr_static_sbar.gif
And world's greatest douchebag

SITNxTc.jpg

Slayven

Absolutely nothing. He's not talking to anyone and no one is talking to him. And if his role wasnt totally moot before, it definitely is now since Fox has hired Simon Kinberg to shepherd the shared universe stuff.

Hope they didn't pay him

Kurod

Banned
I can't help but imagine the reactions if the plot of this movie revolves around the lead up to a bastardized version of the Future Foundation and Johnny Storm is killed off.

Cast seems pretty good but Jamie Bell as The Thing is has me scratching my head I'm
assuming he'll be all CGI since Bell has a lot of experience with mo-cap because of Tintin.

Wilbur

Banned
So you are suggesting that in that scenario, Tom Hardy would first have to wait for a gauntlet of every black actor that would reasonably fit the role to try out and fail before he could be accepted after proving he was the absolute best for the job. Are you suggesting that the likely scenario was that Michael B Jordan first waited for the same gauntlet of white actors to try and fail at winning the role of Johnny Storm and then came out on top?

No. I'm suggesting the likely scenario was that he was better than everyone else who auditioned and they cast him based on that as opposed to a crass decision to change his race to appeal to more demographics

Good actors are picked for a new installment. What's is there to be worked up about? The director has proven himself and the project looks interesting. Can the internet go one actor announcement for a comic movie without entering rage mode?

As much I want this to happen for once you and I know that'll never happen.

No. I'm suggesting the likely scenario was that he was better than everyone else who auditioned and they cast him based on that as opposed to a crass decision to change his race to appeal to more demographics

I'm suggesting that that is probably the least likely scenario.

Coconut

Banned
People don't like the fantastic four. They aren't interesting! And making them younger and getting rid of the Family dynamic the comic once had isn't going to help. They need the dad and mom from modern family as Sue and Reed and cast from there.

Mariolee

SHARE THIS ON FACEBOOK, LIKE, COMMENT, OR FAVORITE MY PAGE. TOGETHER OUR VOICES WILL BE HEARD.

Dude, we haven't even seen the movie yet.

Busty

Banned
Given how 'down to the wire' this whole thing feels the stories about the massive script problems this film is having seem truer everyday.

I'll bet that the main problem is tone. I just don't see how they take source material like this and turn it into something more akin to Singer's new X-Men film. Marvel's 'lighter' cinematic universe? Yes. Fox's shit box of a film franchise? No.

The lead character stretches FFS.

You do realise that if this film bombs Fox will just wait an 'appropriate' amount of time and then reboot it again regardless? The rights don't revert back to Marvel if this film shits the bed. I don't understand this logic.

The same with Sony and their Spider Man films. They'll just keep on shitting them out because A) it stops Marvel, a competitor, getting the rights back and B) they really have nothing else going on.

While I have no love of the Fantastic Four, and I doubt this film will change anything, the entire industry is moving in this direction. At current trajectory studios are just going to keep remaking the same films/IPs every ten years anyway.

Blader

You do realise that if this film bombs Fox will just wait an 'appropriate' amount of time and then reboot it again regardless? The rights don't revert back to Marvel if this film shits the bed. I don't understand this logic.

Because if they don't see any value in continuing with the series, then they can opt for the rights to return to Marvel.

Granted I don't expect that to happen here, but that is how Marvel regained control of Hulk, Punisher, and Ghost Rider -- their studios just decided not to bother with them anymore.

Does anyone know if the Fantastic Four is still in the same license deal that produced that 1994 "film"?

It seems Constantin Film, the ones who made that piece of crap, also produced the two others.

Busty

Banned
Because if they don't see any value in continuing with the series, then they can opt for the rights to return to Marvel.

Granted I don't expect that to happen here, but that is how Marvel regained control of Hulk, Punisher, and Ghost Rider -- their studios just decided not to bother with them anymore.

There is an incredible amount of bad blood between Marvel and Fox and I don't see this happening.

Daredevil (and imagine at some point Deadpool) reverted back to Marvel but that's because the source material didn't fit in with Fox's 'vision'. Daredevil really needed a darker turn than Fox was prepared to chase and thus it wasn't worth anything to them.

The same thing happened with Sony and Ghost Rider. After two Nick Cage films the IP wasn't worth what it once was to them and as such they decided to let it go.

You will never see Disney/Marvel make an R rated Marvel film so instead they choose to (wisely) exploit these characters as a TV series via Netflix.

Fantastic Four on the other hand might not have had the same financial success as X-Men but the property does have potential as a general (or four quadrant if you want to industry) audience film.

It's insane and even infuriating to read people trying to come up with possibilities, wonder how, while trying their best to ignore the one answer that is likely the most simple and straight forward.

indeed. thanks for bolding the most simple and straightforward answer so everyone can see it.

Unless it bombs really bad.

And Fox/Disney don't like each other after what Fox tried to pull with DD.

Disney offered to extend the contract for DD if Fox would let MCU use Galactus, Annihilus, Surfer, Doom and Fox countered with how about you pay for DD and we keep the rights anyway?

So yeah.

Personally I hope Disney would go a little scumbag and use lawyers to halt the production of FF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom