• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the HTC Magic (Reviews are in!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
AT&T version revealed:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/24/htc-lancaster-is-a-qwerty-slider-with-android-for-atandt/

To be fair, it's not a Magic in every sense of the word, it's more a hybrid G1/Magic. Looks interesting but AT&T wants to muck up the GUI. Hopefully, someone at XDA developers can change this. Thoughts?

htc-lancaster-slide.jpg

edit: ah fuck

anywhoo, is the screen resolution supposed to be that small? Hope it's a typo

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DrFunk said:
anywhoo, is the screen resolution supposed to be that small? Hope it's a typo

Yeah I hope that's a typo... QVGA... The Magic's resolution is 320x480 HVGA for the record.

nubbe said:
Sony Ericsson gigaton announcement on the 20th
I don't get why anyone would get anything but a SE phone, I srsly don't

Xperia is hot as fuck. The 3D in Xtract is mind blowing. The 800x480 resolution shits all over PSP and DSi

I was the same until the Xperia shitted on my love for SE. For about 11 years I solely owned SE phones (about 12 different models) and I loved them, but WinMo made me sad :(. I then got an iPhone and now for me, no turning back.

It's obvious that SE are going to Andriod, which is good, plus SE will soon just be E. Good riddance

dsunit1

DrFunk said:
Ah come on, you know somebody's going to cook up a ROM after 2 week on the market

Very true hopefully its not locked down too tight... There is a rumor that the ATT phone is going to have donut.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Comparing the dimensions, the Lancaster does seem to be smaller (113 x 55.6 mm for the Magic versus 209 x 54 mm for the Lancaster), but ever so slightly thicker (13.65 versus 17.1 mm). Less than 4mm thicker for a hard keyboard, I can live with that.

I am slightly disappointed the screen is .4" smaller though. :(

jonnybryce said:
Wow at AT&T messing with the screen size, resolution and UI. Lame.

On the plus side, maybe it'll be cheaper then? Maybe I'm hoping for too much. :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Apparently there was another leaked Android set in those AT&T slides, the Motorola Heron (the Ironman):

gsmarena_003.jpg

Source.

It's also a 2.8" touchscreen, but with a portrait sliding keyboard, and like the Lancaster it too has a 3 megapixel fixed-focus camera (which, I think, makes them unusable for things like the Barcode scanner). But at least it has LED flash.

Krelian

That new Android phone looks sexy. I hope the screen isn't really that small, though, because it'd be the ideal phone for a friend of mine who's looking for a new smartphone, but wants a hardware keyboard and a big screen. The Motorola one doesn't look as good imho, but not bad either.

I have a question for everybody else using the HTC Magic. Today I read that there's supposed to be a new security update for Cupcake for HTC Magic as well as G1. Apparently Vodafone sent a text message to its customers last Friday (at least in Germany, don't know about other countries...), but I didn't receive one. Does anybody have that update installed? The new build number should be CRB43, my current one is CRB17. I tried looking for a system update, but it says I have the most recent version :(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
nubbe said:
Xperia is hot as fuck. The 3D in Xtract is mind blowing. The 800x480 resolution shits all over PSP and DSi
The Xperia that uses Windows Mobile with some custom interface on top of it? I used it for approx five minutes and I swear it was the worst thing I've ever seen made by SE. Sluggish, terrible, and screen with muted colors, I just couldn't believe it. iPhone, BlackBerry Storm and Palm Pre absolutely destroy that thing in terms of usability and responsiveness. To see for how much it was selling was mind numbing. I'd think twice to use it even if someone paid me to.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Valtox said:

GOT IT A FEW MINUTES AGO!
sorry for the fingermarks
Looks good !!!

Now I gotta decide whether I want to get Magic or wait for a future HTC phone with Android Heroes... decision decision !

Krelian

Krelian said:
I have a question for everybody else using the HTC Magic. Today I read that there's supposed to be a new security update for Cupcake for HTC Magic as well as G1. Apparently Vodafone sent a text message to its customers last Friday (at least in Germany, don't know about other countries...), but I didn't receive one. Does anybody have that update installed? The new build number should be CRB43, my current one is CRB17. I tried looking for a system update, but it says I have the most recent version :(
If anyone's interested, I was able to update my system today. I was prompted that there's a new version available and it installed without a problem.

S. L.

The Orange said:
20th of what month? :p
At Mobile World Congress in February 2009, Sony Ericsson announced a new consumer proposition, called ‘Entertainment Unlimited’ (EU), to build on Sony Ericsson’s leadership in music, imaging, gaming, content services, and applications to deliver unlimited opportunities for consumers. The company also announced the first Entertainment Unlimited phone with the concept name ‘Idou’ to be launched in the second half of 2009. The next EU announcement will take place on 28 May.
may 28 ? dunno. the idou seems really nice

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Krelian said:
If anyone's interested, I was able to update my system today. I was prompted that there's a new version available and it installed without a problem.

If anyone cares to know, this patch fixes a bug found by Panasonic that allows something like two apps by the same dev working together allowing them to access other apps' data. Or something/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ignatz Mouse said:
A little off topic, but I just switched to cupcake and I really like it. I assume this comes with it already?

Yup, as it includes the only way to enter text as the Magic lacks a real keyboard.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I'm getting serious cravings for the Magic now! My Xperia is pissing me off to no end, yesterday I couldn't speak och hear anything when taking/making calls. :(

Too bad it's limited to Tre for the time being :(

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
nubbe said:
I don't get why anyone would get anything but a SE phone, I srsly don't

Amen to that. I work in the mobile industry, and in an office where we have access to most handsets that get released, Sony Ericsson devices are by far the most popular (mostly C902 and C905 at the moment). Can't wait for an SE Android device or two to hit - that'll be my next upgrade, I'm thinking. :D

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
iapetus said:
Amen to that. I work in the mobile industry, and in an office where we have access to most handsets that get released, Sony Ericsson devices are by far the most popular (mostly C902 and C905 at the moment). Can't wait for an SE Android device or two to hit - that'll be my next upgrade, I'm thinking. :D

I agree... I really like my W850i (still the build quality/firmware stability could improve... I am currently without the ability to log incoming and out-coming calls :(...).

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
When is the HTC Magic/MyTouch coming to T-Mobile?

I've heard early July but there is nothing official, right?

I'm asking because I'm trying to convince a friend to wait for the MyTouch instead of getting the G1 right now.

Valtox

iapetus said:
I didn't know SE phones were so good, I always avoid those phone because of Sony's support to Memory Stick instead of SD.
I think HTC could be a good choice too, because of the xda-developers forum support.
For now I'm satisfied with my Magic, quite easy to use, never crashes at all, there's plenty of free apps in the market, you can already get root access to it (you only need a windows xp computer,the usb cable and a few files from the aforementioned forum) if you want to get the full of it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Apparently, all those in the audience at the Google I/O keynote got unlocked Magics with a month of free data. I would expect that this version has US 3G bands, so an announcement by T-mobile can't be far off.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/27/google-expect-18-android-phones-by-years-end/

Summer Of ‘09 Phone War update: By year’s end, there will be at least 18 phones on the market worldwide based on the Android operating system, Google disclosed for the first time today.

Andy Rubin, senior director for Mobile Platforms for Google and the spearhead of the Android operating system, said the number could be as high as 20. (That figure does not include devices made by manufacturers that use a basic Android system but have not apprised Google of its use). The 18 to 20 devices Google knows about will be made by eight or nine different manufacturers, Mr. Rubin said.

[...]

Mr. Rubin said that, in general, carriers will be slower in the United States to introduce Android phones than in Europe. The reason, he said, is that the domestic market is so competitive that carriers and handset makers want to create highly distinctive versions of the Android phone to give themselves an edge.

[...]

On the question of apps, Mr. Rubin reinforced Google’s position that Android is an “open” platform, though, critically, that concept has some nuance to it. It goes like this: there are three flavors of Android. Each is free. But the versions place different requirements on the handset manufacturers and wireless carriers. The differing versions — and the way they’re being adopted - gives an insight both into Google’s goals and to the way the market is receiving those goals.

1. The obligation-free option: device manufacturers can download a free version of Android, load onto their devices and provide access to as many or as few apps as they want. But the manufacturers cannot preload popular Google applications, like Gmail or Google calendar.

2. The small strings option: Same as Option 1, except that manufacturers sign a distribution agreement to include on the phone Google applications. Of the 18 to 20 phones coming out this year, Mr. Rubin said, 12 to 14 subscribe to this option.

3. The bigger strings option or the no-censorship version: These phones Google calls “The Google Experience.” They are physically distinguishable by the “Google” logo on the phone. They include a range of Google applications that the carrier and handset maker agree not to remove from the phone. The carrier and handset maker also agree not to censor access to the Android market. Meaning: if some developer comes up with an application that some people find distasteful, or that gets bad press, it must nevertheless remain available to consumers. Of the phones coming out this year, 5 to 6 belong to this category, Mr. Rubin said.

The "highly distinctive" part does seem to fall in line with AT&T's Lancaster strategy.

So, let's count the devices we know of:

1. T-Mobile G1 / HTC Dream / Android Dev Phone 1
  2. HTC Magic / T-Mobile MyTouch
  3. HTC Lancaster / HTC Memphis
  4. HTC Fiesta
  5. HTC's OPhone*
  6. Lenovo's OPhone
  7. Samsung i7500 / Samsung Galaxy
  8. Samsung Spica*
  9. Samsung Houdini*
  10. Acer's "A1"
  11. Huawei's "G3"
  12. Sony-Ericson's Android 2.0 Phone
  13. Motorola Heron / Motorola Iron Man
  14. Motorola Calgary*
  15. Motorola Morrison*
  16. Archos' Portable Media Player
  17. GiiNii's Movit Mini
  18. T-Mobile G1v2 / Bigfoot*
*Somewhat suspect, but I included them anyways. And I don't know if you can count the Archos device, but I did anyways.

Kinda odd we have so many rumored devices and an apparently packed 2009 year for Android, yet we only have three "real" devices to speak of (Dream, Magic, i7500). Manufacturers better be ramping up.

Edit- Forgot the Fiesta. I'm also thinking HTC's OPhone is just the Magic but I'll include it anyways, and the GiiNii device isn't technically a phone but I'll keep it like the Archos.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
jonnybryce said:
Gizmodo posted a favorable review of the Google Ion aka Magic!

Woulda been cool if you posted the link there. :p

http://gizmodo.com/5272229/t+mobile-g2-google-ion-review-most-improved-award

g2top.jpg

Not only does the T-Mobile G2/HTC Magic/Google Ion phone improve on original T-Mobile G1 in just about every way, it manages to do it while cutting down significantly on the size. The only thing it doesn't have going for it is a hardware keyboard.

[...]

The generously curved shell is thicker than the iPhone, but less wide, which actually makes it feel better in the hand. It weighs 4.09 ounces compared to the G1's 5.60 ounces, but somehow manages to feel even lighter, like half as heavy. That curved chin that caused such a nuisance when typing on the G1 is no longer a problem, due to the fact that there's no actual slide-out hardware keyboard. Face buttons are now smaller and shiny and raised, which makes them easier to locate and press. There's also one extra button: Search. This pops up a context-related search menu for apps like contacts, email and the browser.

[...]

What you'll feel most often is the increased ROM and RAM: 512MB and 288MB, respectively. The beefed up hardware makes a noticeable difference in speed when launching and using apps.

medium_3573422013_fc158f9e2c_o.jpg

The hardware has been improved in just about every respect, minus the fact that you no longer have a physical keyboard to bang out emails and texts quickly. But fortunately the software keyboard actually makes the loss bearable.

[...]

Verdict
Although the T-Mobile G2/Google Ion/HTC Magic has still has its flaws, it's essentially better than the G1 in every way. It's lighter, faster, better and supposedly lasts longer on a charge. Unless you absolutely need to have a hardware keyboard for massive text entry, there's no real reason why Android seekers shouldn't get the G2 when it debuts on T-Mobile soon.

gizplusplus.jpg
It's lighter, thinner and faster than the G1

gizplus3.jpg
Software keyboard actually works

giznormal_01.jpg
No more physical keyboard

giznormal_01.jpg
Exactly the same OS as the G1, so there's not a lot of reason to upgrade if you already own the predecessor

Black looks cool, but I really don't like the metal buttons.

I can deal with the metal buttons but I wish it was the same color like on the white one so that the buttons were more discreet. I love it anyway.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRX5N5bte68&fmt=18

I still am not completely warm to this skin yet. I do like the consistent green and black color scheme, and the scrolling bottom, but other than those I don't get what people are so hot over. It's Android... but with some things changed around.

Edit- Also like the rectangle/grid thing it has going on for moving icons and widgets.

Andrex said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRX5N5bte68&fmt=18

I still am not completely warm to this skin yet. I do like the consistent green and black color scheme, and the scrolling bottom, but other than those I don't get what people are so hot over. It's Android... but with some things changed around.

Edit- Also like the rectangle/grid thing it has going on for moving icons and widgets.

For people who have rooted their phones, there is a version of Hero going around. Buggy tho. It does have Exchange integration, which some people have cobbled into a version of cupcake.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The look of the HTC Hero is really growing on me, the red kinda looks like a delicious red apple... I mean cherry. And it does have a headphone jack...

Need Specs/Price/Date. :(

So much up in the air. Do I really want the Hero? Should I just get a G1? Wait for the Magic? Say "screw HTC" and go with Samsung? But since I don't want a data plan should I just prepare for the Archos tablet?

The choice would be a lot easier if the US dates and prices for all of these were known. Whatever the case, I'm getting some kind of Android device in July, and will make my decision on what's known by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom