• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the Motorola Cliq

Status
Not open for further replies.

WalkMan

Banned
cliq.jpg

Web Reviews:

• TechRadar

We swayed backwards and forwards over the Dext – MotoBlur is an odd proposition due to the amount of information it displays, but over time we came to like it.
    The shape is obviously going to put a lot of people off buying the Dext, but we think the QWERTY keypad will similarly win over a few who might be bored of touchscreen keyboards.
  • Engadget

Let's be very clear: though it fares pretty competitively against the aging crop of Google-powered devices on the market today, the CLIQ isn't the Android phone to end all Android phones. Then again, it's not supposed to be [...]
  • Gizmodo

They were smart enough to know that just doing another Android phone wasn't enough in itself, so they pulled together and created all this social networking glue to bind the experience together. It's cohesive enough to call the Cliq a different experience from other, similar devices like the Sprint HTC Hero, and is a pretty damn good first step in a possible Motorola comeback.
  • MobileCrunch

Motorola has released the phone it should have released a few years ago to compete with phones like the Helio Ocean and feature phones from LG and Samsung. Android brings this phone into the 21st century and the QWERTY keyboard and BLUR UI tweaks will please those looking for a keyboard Android phone with social networking features.
  • PhoneScoop

[...] It marries a popular form factor with Android and the new MOTOBLUR platform, which delivers all your social networking updates in real-time. For some, this might be a dream come true, for others, a nightmare[...]
  • CNET

[...] Yet, despite those drawbacks, the Cliq offers a nice contrast to Sprint's HTC Hero and it rates better than the T-Mobile MyTouch 3G and G1.
  • MobileBurn

[...] Yet, despite those drawbacks, the Cliq offers a nice contrast to Sprint's HTC Hero and it rates better than the T-Mobile MyTouch 3G and G1.
  • SlashGear

The CLIQ itself is less dramatic as a device. Build quality is on par if not slightly better than rival devices and functionally it’s reasonable, but there could be a little more excitement or allure in the physical hardware. Perhaps aiming for that might have been too ambitious at this stage for Motorola, but after years of complaining at the reheated RAZRs they’ve been pumping out, we find ourselves staring wistfully at the old design language and wishing some of it had translated into the CLIQ.
  • ZDNet

While the smooth matte finish on some of the plastics felt a little, well, plasticky, the expensive gunmetal finish on the phone’s metal body exuded quality. The sliding mechanism was a little less resistive than the one on the G1, but quite smooth, and I found all of the outside buttons to be placed in logical places (the tiny indicators for the buttons beneath the slider were a nice touch).

Features

The Motorola CLIQ features a premium design and rich features that complements the MOTOBLUR experience.

• Slide out QWERTY keyboard makes for convenient messaging and status updates
  • 3.1” HVGA touch-screen display provides easy access to MOTOBLUR streams and widgets
  • Exchange support for a comprehensive messaging experience and calendar organization
  • Additional multimedia features: 5 megapixel camera with video capture and auto focus, 3.5mm headset jack, music player and preloaded Amazon MP3 Store application, full HTML Web browser and support for T-Mobile’s 3G network and Wi-Fi.
  • Available in two color options: Titanium and Winter White
  • Integrated Google technology brings the familiarity of popular Google services, including Google Maps, YouTube, Google Search, Google Talk, and Google Search by Voice to the device along with providing access to thousands of applications available for download on the Android Market.

Specifications:
  • Official Manufacturer Website
  • Names:
    • Motorola Dext: Orange UK
    • Motorola Cliq: T-Mobile USA
  • Colors:
    • Winter White
    • Titanium Black
    • Blue: United Kingdom
  • Processor: Qualcomm® MSM7200A™, 528 MHz
  • Operating System: Android (Version 1.5 "Cupcake")
  • Memory:
    • ROM: 512 MB
    • RAM: 256MB
  • Dimensions: 114 x 58 x 15.6 mm ( 4.49 x 2.28 x 0.62 inches)
  • Weight: 163 grams ( 5.6 ounces) with battery
  • Display: 3.1-inch TFT-LCD flat touch-sensitive screen with 320x480 HVGA resolution (187 DPI)
  • Network:
    • HSDPA/WCDMA:
      • 900/2100 MHz
      • Up to 2 Mbps up-link and 7.2 Mbps down-link speeds
    • Quad-band GSM/GPRS Class 12/EDGE Class 12:
      • 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
      (Band frequency and data speed are operator dependent.)
  • Accessory Compatibility: 3.5mm Audio Jack
  • Device Control: 5-way navigation, Capacitive touch screen, QWERTY keyboard, Virtual Keyboard
  • GPS: Internal GPS antenna
  • Connectivity:
    • Bluetooth® 2.0 with Enhanced Data Rate and A2DP for wireless stereo headsets
    • Wi-Fi®: IEEE 802.11 b/g
    • MicroUSB 2.0
  • Camera: 5.0 megapixel color camera with automatic focus
  • Audio supported formats: AAC, AAC+, AAC+ Enhanced, AMR-NB, MP3, WAV, MIDI
  • Video supported formats: H.264, H.263, MPEG 4, YouTube, Video Streaming: MPEG 4, 3GP
  • Song Finder: ShazamID
  • Video Capture Rate: MPEG 4
  • Microsoft® Exchange Server synchronization requirements: Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) or Microsoft Exchange Server 2007
  • Battery:
    • Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery
    • Capacity: 1420 mAh
    • Talk time: Up to 360 minutes
    • Standby time: Up to 325 hours
      (The above are subject to network and phone usage.)
  • Expansion Slot: microSD™ memory card (SD 2.0 compatible) up to 32GB
  • AC Adapter: Voltage range/frequency: 100 ~ 240V AC, 47/63 Hz
  • DC output: 5V and 1A
  • Special Features:
    • Accelerometer 3-Axis (Four-way screen rotation)
    • Magnetometer
    • Proximity Sensor
    • Ambient Light Sensor
    Note: Specifications are subject to change without prior notice.

Motoblur
motoblur.jpg

• MOTOBLUR automatically delivers and organizes your conversations, friends, and favorite content from so many sources to your phone in easy-to-manage streams.
  • MOTOBLUR has special custom widgets that are designed around the way you socialize, making it easy to read, post, and reply without digging through multiple menus or signing in and out of accounts.
motoblur2.jpg

• Your content is organized on the home screen in easy-to-manage streams and widgets such as:
    [*]Happenings keeps all your social site updates – moods, status updates, photo uploads - continuously updated and ready for immediate responses
    [*]Messaging gives a snapshot of emails, social site messages and texts, with the ability to respond in any way regardless of how it was sent
    [*]News Feeds streamlines online feeds for easy browsing and reading
    [*]Social Status lets you blast updates to all social networks or create unique updates for each
    [*]Calendar integrates work calendar with Google Calendar into one widget that shows the next appointment right from the home screen​
motoblur3.jpg

Release Details:
United Kingdom:
Price: Free
Date: October 7
Carrier: Orange UK
Exclusive?

United States:
Price: $200 w/ 2-year contract
Date: October 19(Pre-Order) (Existing Customers), November 2 (Public)
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclusive? Yes

Double D

I'm on Verizon, and am holding out for the Sholes/Tao/Droid, so I'm eager to hear hands-on impressions of this device.

andycapps

Intrigued.. is this soft and hard keyboard? I'm assuming no multi-touch as well, right? I'm hoping in the next few months that will become standard on Android phones..

Is multi-touch a hardware feature or a feature of the software?

WalkMan

Banned
andycapps said:
Intrigued.. is this soft and hard keyboard? I'm assuming no multi-touch as well, right? I'm hoping in the next few months that will become standard on Android phones..

Multi-touch is software I think because rooted G1s and Magic can have it reenabled.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
andycapps said:

Although it depends on the screen, most of the current Android phones are capable of multitouch, but have it disabled in the kernel. Enter the lovely folks at XDA...

Totakeke

andycapps said:

Most likely both, recent phones with qwerty keyboards have soft keyboards as well. Multi-touch is both hardware and software, I don't think this has it, could be disabled like the above posters said.

The hardware isn't that special or enticing, the social software integration within motoblur built upon Android is the key attraction here. Check this out.

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles...ent/microsites/simulator/simulator_en_US.html

Outlaw said:
Meh........Motorola. They make the shittiest phones.

Truth, never touching a Motorola again - they're the ultimate style over substance phone, I fell for that bullshit with the RAZR. Never again. Ever.

andycapps

Skittleguy said:
Although it depends on the screen, most of the current Android phones are capable of multitouch, but have it disabled in the kernel. Enter the lovely folks at XDA...

Interesting.. Once I get one I'm going to have to figure out how to enable it then. The main thing I really want is being able to pinch-pull like on the Iphone/Itouch in the web browser. But yeah, this is a cool looking phone.

I don't share the other issues that you guys had with Motorola phones. I had one that came before the RAZR and it was a great phone. Lasted me a couple years with no issues at all. The RAZR was a piece of crap that was style over substance, but other than that, they seem to make good stuff.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Huh, thought this thread was a lot older for some reason.

Anyways, that TechRadar review in the OP isn't too too bright... though on the other hand, their biggest criticism is they couldn't download apps from the Market, which will almost definitely be fixed before release. (They should have gotten a statement from Motorola or a replacement unit, really.)

That said I still really like the looks of this phone, and its apparently-great keyboard. Should it really be $200 though? It's more deserving of the price than the MyTouch was at least, but I feel T-Mobile might be growing a bit arrogant with their current Android phone domination.

But when the hardware gets cheaper and competition drives it down further, we can only benefit. :) Unless you buy one right before they drop the price. :lol

My RAZR split in half.

I was all about the RAZR about a month ago, but I dunno. The QWERTY looks really solid, but the lack of processing power (compared to Android devices coming out on different carriers) worries me.

thirty

Banned
let's be real. the razr was never a great phone. may have looked great at the time, but the first models didn't even have a freakin' alarm clock.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
lol the RAZR.

new, expensive, everyone wants it (sexy looking at the time)
nothing special (1 demo game, nothing really to do with it but call, text, picture)
actually pretty fragile (i broke two easily)
now my grandma has one real cheap as the world progresses to smart phones

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Neverender said:
God damn, can't designers think of anything that doesn't resemble an iPhone these days? geeeeeees

Eh he chose a bad shot of it. From the top yeah, it's a device that's black, has a screen taking up most of the estate, and a circular "home" button centered below the screen.

From other angles though...

AHT-Morrison03.png

Motorola-Cliq-T-Mobile-QWERTY.jpg

motorola-cliq-slider-keyboard-back.jpg

MotoCliqhandson_540x360.JPG

Andrex said:
Eh he chose a bad shot of it. From the top yeah, it's a device that's black, has a screen taking up most of the estate, and a circular "home" button centered below the screen.

From other angles though...

AHT-Morrison03.png

Hmm well I guess it's not as iPhone-y as I thought. I have been seeing a lot of similar phone designs lately, though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Neverender said:
Hmm well I guess it's not as iPhone-y as I thought. I have been seeing a lot of similar phone designs lately, though.

You can't really do much when you have a massive screen taking up most of the face on the device.

Although I don't think it's a legitimate complaint in any case, anyways.

Timo

I think it's gonna be a pretty decent little phone. Nothing game changing but it's gonna be solid, from what I can tell.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
jamesinclair said:
WTF, CPU, RAM and ROM are relevant to phones now?

Fuck you hipsters.

Well as that seems to be the number one complaint of this phone from people who actually follow smartphones, yeah, they're kinda relevant. They also serve as a good comparison base. Hell even Apple was touting the specs of the 3GS.

WalkMan

Banned
So I guess the NDA on reviews have been lifted and all the major sites have released their reviews. Pretty much everything expected, good concept but held back a bit by the aging CPU. Build-quality seems to be good though which excites me, can't wait to get this phone next week.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
agrajag said:
razr was the shittiest phone I've ever owned.

Yep. I went through three of those pieces of shit in a span of 5 weeks. Motorola is by far the worst phone company out there.

AlphaSnake said:
Yep. I went through three of those pieces of shit in a span of 5 weeks. Motorola is by far the worst phone company out there.

After my V3x I'll never even consider getting a Motorola in the future.

ZeoVGM

Banned
WalkMan said:
So I guess the NDA on reviews have been lifted and all the major sites have released their reviews. Pretty much everything expected, good concept but held back a bit by the aging CPU. Build-quality seems to be good though which excites me, can't wait to get this phone next week.

Yep, it sounds pretty solid. I'm sure having a slow-as-fuck Sidekick now, this will still be a nice CPU upgrade for me.

But again: still waiting on the Droid announcement. We'll see.

WalkMan

Banned
Just put the pre-order in for the Motorola Cliq. Got T-Mobile to waive the express shipping fee too. Look forward to getting this phone in a few days

ZeoVGM

Banned
WalkMan said:
Just put the pre-order in for the Motorola Cliq. Got T-Mobile to waive the express shipping fee too. Look forward to getting this phone in a few days

Where the hell did you pre-order? I'm logged into My T-Mobile and it's giving me a price of $369.99 with a 2 year upgrade.

Just curious, not going to do it unless the Droid price is insane.

NomarTyme

omg rite said:
Where the hell did you pre-order? I'm logged into My T-Mobile and it's giving me a price of $369.99 with a 2 year upgrade.

I just checked with my account. $200 2 year contract.

ZeoVGM

Banned
http://www.t-mobile.com/CLIQ

If I go there, it now finally shows me the $199 and UPGRADE NOW links, but then if I click it?

Sorry, we can't find the page you requested.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but we couldn't find the page you requested. You may have clicked on an outdated link.

AlphaSnake

Well, if the reviews aren't already poor...I've had a few sources tell me it's a terrible phone. Very buggy and slow. But I have to ask, what's the point of this thing if Moto is also releasing the Droid? I'm confused.

Edit: NM. Forget this is T-Mobile, not Verizon.

ZeoVGM

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Well, if the reviews aren't already poor...I've had a few sources tell me it's a terrible phone. Very buggy and slow. But I have to ask, what's the point of this thing if Moto is also releasing the Droid? I'm confused.

Droid is on Verizon, not T-Mobile.

And now I'm getting from that site: "We're sorry. This offer may not be available on your account. If you received this offer in the mail, please call the toll-free number on the mailer."

Uh, why not?

mj1108

omg rite said:

You got that price the same reason I did too when I went there: You're under contract and haven't been through 11 months of a 12 month contract or 22 months of a 2 year contract.

Totakeke

AlphaSnake said:

Droid does not have social skills.

AlphaSnake

omg rite said:
Droid is on Verizon, not T-Mobile.

And now I'm getting from that site: "We're sorry. This offer may not be available on your account. If you received this offer in the mail, please call the toll-free number on the mailer."

Uh, why not?

Oh, Christ. I totally forget this was a T-Mobile product. Carry on.

ZeoVGM

Banned
mj1108 said:
You got that price the same reason I did too when I went there: You're under contract and haven't been through 11 months of a 12 month contract or 22 months of a 2 year contract.

... You can only upgrade with that price if you're 2 months away from your contract being up?

That's stupid.

Granted, I can probably call and get that changed, especially with the Sidekick issue as leverage, but that's just silly. It should be 6 months through a 1 year and 12 months through a 2 year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom