• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

Bboy AJ said:
I'm getting sick of my iPhone 3GS. I've had an iPhone for like three years and the experience is growing stale.

Wonder what GSM android phone I should get. I wish this Droid was GSM because it seems great.
There is a GSM version, not available in US yet...

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
kitchenmotors said:
Am I the only one who thinks this phone looks really cheap? Almost like one fall could break the thing into pieces.
Slide phones that are this thin always make me wonder about how well built they could possibly be to prevent the two halves from blowing apart with a decent drop.

Like all modern electronics, treat them with respect and you'll avoid most/all issues :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
shenglongdong said:
Same here. I'm guessing there won't be any special offers for existing customers looking to upgrade to the phone/more expensive plan?

The recent rumor was the Verizon subscribers eligible for an upgrade could get the Droid for $99 less than retail. But, that's a rumor yet to be confirmed.

gutshot

Car dock mode

2009-10-28droiddocks-3.jpg

2009-10-28droiddocks-6.jpg

2009-10-28droiddocks-4.jpg

Andrex said:
The recent rumor was the Verizon subscribers eligible for an upgrade could get the Droid for $99 less than retail. But, that's a rumor yet to be confirmed.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I signed another 2 year this May, and am not eligible for upgraded pricing until 1/2011. :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
alr1ghtstart said:
is the touchscreen glass or some type of scratch resistant plastic?

The Cliq was glass and I think I heard that it was confirmed this one is too. Actually, I believe BGR's hands-on confirmed the thing to be practically all glass and metal.

Can someone confirm how much it is to upgrade? I'm due for my Verizon upgrade now an would love to get one of these. $100 would be amazing.

Akim

Banned
DanielPlainview said:
Can someone confirm how much it is to upgrade? I'm due for my Verizon upgrade now an would love to get one of these. $100 would be amazing.

I thought it was 200 to upgrade but does anyone know for sure?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Is this what the funny anti-iPhone ads were about?

iDon't...do this
iDon't... do that

They made me laugh, though i love my iPhone.
This phone looks really nice. I start to wonder how locked in I am to the App Store.

btkadams

if the iphone has a slide out kb and had a removable battery, it would have me instantly.

why can't there be a perfect phone?

this one is motorola, so it can't be perfect

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I like the look of the phone. I just got my Blackberry Tour though so I'll probably need to stick with it for a while. I want the android OS soo bad though.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Okay this thing looks HOT *AND* it has a keyboard...it's this or the XP3 and I really can't decide. HALP.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
btkadams said:
if the iphone has a slide out kb and had a removable battery, it would have me instantly.

why can't there be a perfect phone?

this one is motorola, so it can't be perfect

This phone is as close to perfect as we'll see for a while. :D Only downsides could be if the keyboard's mediocre (but at least it's still there) or the storage (which, again, shouldn't really be a problem.)

Compared to past Android phones, though, this thing is perfect. It has a headphone jack. It has a speedy processor. It has a slim, sleek form factor - while still boasting a hardware keyboard. And it actually has fantastic battery life.

Not only that, it's launching with 12,000 apps (+2,000 from less than a month ago when the Cliq was shown!) In just a year, this thing positively blows the G1 out of the water. Android's growth is proving to be exponential, as well as the hardware it runs on.

Apoc29 said:
I thought Droid was a trademark of Lucasfilm? Lawsuit incoming?

They're licensing it. In fact they sent an R2-D2 to some press people as a stunt.

glistenm

Banned
Apoc29 said:
I thought Droid was a trademark of Lucasfilm? Lawsuit incoming?

Probably they're using it without written permission and not it's not used under license from Lucasfilm Ltd and it's related companies..

Blackface

Banned
"The only people who will buy the Droid are Star Wars Freaks" - CNBC

"Iphone has something the droid can't claim they have, an app store" - CNBC

I mean, fucking really?

Fatalah

Gary Whitta said:
Can't wait to see this latest "iPhone killer". How many have there been now?

You settle down. This phone is on a good network, with the most subscribers in the US.

The hardware is powerful, Google's behind the OS. What more do you want Droid to be?!

CiSTM

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Can't wait to see this latest "iPhone killer". How many have there been now?
IPhone has been killed many times already... Now they just need to come up with AppStore killer.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Blackface said:
"The only people who will buy the Droid are Star Wars Freaks" - CNBC

"Iphone has something the droid can't claim they have, an app store" - CNBC

I mean, fucking really?

wut da fuk

12,000 apps is nothing to sneeze at - it's now close to eclipsing the total number of Windows Mobile apps, (which is estimated to be between 10k and 20k, though the amount that actually work on new handsets is undoubtedly smaller.) Not even mentioing the Windows Marketplace for Mobile. Android is definitely a strong #2 when it comes to pure peen-waving "app count" numbers, as if that was an accurate gauge to begin with. Bigger than Blackberry, WebOS, Symbian, and MS's official WinMo Marketplace.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Zero Hero said:
I'm interested to see how the exchange client works.

There is no separate client anymore, it's completely integrated into the system itself. So is Facebook, actually. Gizmodo said that it's not like the Pre's "all or nothing" integration, either, you get to choose and group.

Fatalah

Gary Whitta said:
:lol :lol :lol

I think the guy meant in terms of processing power. But he should have been more clear. In terms of the total package, the iPhone packs a punch with iTunes & their App store. Apple brings it all together very well.

fortified_concept said:
Saleswise no (in USA), hardware-wise and feature-wise it has been obliterated.
I don't want to derail this thread but this is nonsense, or at the very least irrelevant. In terms of naked tech specs there are other phones out there that boast more megapixels or CPU or whatever but you couldn't pay me to use any of them. What really matters to everyone except hardcore tech junkies is versatility and ease of use and there still isn't anything out there that even comes close to the iPhone experience.

For the record when I say "iPhone killer" I mean what everyone else who uses the term means - the one that will dethrone it in the marketplace. And the only phone that will do that is the next iPhone.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
500x_IMG_0164.jpg

500x_IMG_0160.jpg

I like how the keyboard looks in these two Gizmodo pics. In front-on shots, the keys look crooked and incongruous; here, they look neat and even a little buffered out. I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom