• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Drive/Genesis Mini Announced by Sega

JP

Announced last night but no real info available at the moment apart from it releasing this year in Japan.

Sega really don't have a good history of licensing their hardware brands out to other companies but lets hope that Sega do what Nintendo this time.

genesis1-1101714.jpeg

CNET - Mini Sega Genesis is real (A couple of pictures here)

Possibly produced by AtGames, thanks Petrae Petrae , although I've not seen any verification of that yet.

Last edited:

Nikodemos

Hope they use better quality components than last time. :p

But seriously, finding a good-sounding Mega Drive was a crapshoot.

Gandara

Hope they announce the game line up soon and they include a nice controller. I hate the ones you can get at target that claim they have +60 games where most of them are some no name games they just dumped on the system.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully this won't torture your ears and can be just as hackable as the NES/SNES classic. Then again someone would have to make an all new program for that kind of stuff.

Yagami_Sama

I kind of expected this, when they announced that a huge announcement would be made. This or a Shenmeu I & II remake.

Petrae

It’s an AtGames box. That’s not good news, given its history with flawed/poor Genesis Flashback emulation. Unless this shows significant improvement, it’s a hard pass from me.

Last edited:

Crew 511A

It’s an AtGames box. That’s not good news, given its history with flawed/poor Genesis Flashback emulation. Unless this shows significant improvement, it’s a hard pass from me.

Has anyone verified it's AtGames? I was going to just get the Genesis Classics disc next month anyway.

OH-MyCar

Since the Saturn/DC days I've been a bigger Sega fan than Nintendo (I know, it's rough), but Nintendo is killing them on this front.

Sega needs to demonstrate this thing'll be better than some plug & play Frogger with 75 Chinese knock-offs installed. I'm not enthusiastic about potentially buying another.

Edit: It's officially AtGames? Ok, yeah I think I'm good.

Last edited:

Codes 208

meh. If Sega didnt poop out collections on what feels like a every-other year basis this would've hit home so much harder. Right now I just dont care as much as I could.

meh. If Sega didnt poop out collections on what feels like a every-other year basis this would've hit home so much harder. Right now I just dont care as much as I could.
This is an important thing to point out. The other reservation i have with these mini revivals of classic consoles is the abscense of a cart slot, which make them mostly pointless in practice. If companies are not including slots then might as well sell recreations of classic controllers that use Blutooth and include a voucher to download the ROMS.

i' ve been saying for years, even before the mini craze, that there's a market to be exploited for re releases of classic game consoles. Companies could even start kickstarters for reprinting the classic games with the bigger demand.

Sega had the golden opportunity to do it better than Nintendo, they are missing out.

wondermega

Imagine a TurboGrafx-16 or Sega Saturn one. Well I suppose they'd likely be retail death but, I would be excited at least. Somewhat more realistically, if they could somehow make a Sega 1980s "arcade in a box" (legit arcade versions of Outrun, Hang On, super Monaco GP, etc) - that would be somewhat unprecedented and generally worth some press? As above I don't see that happening either, but at least that would be something exciting, and which they could conceivably make money off of.
This Mini Genesis, I won't hold my breath for it. I'll go on the record and mention that I did pick up the At Games portable that released a few years ago, it was probably about $40 I believe. Actually for what it was, not a bad deal. The construction was sturdy, the actual control was very good, and (very importantly) the screen was excellent. Big, bright, colorful. The other big plus is that you can easily stick an SD card loaded with roms into it and it just -works- with no modding or hoops to jump through.
The big downside is that the audio is just pretty bad for many games. Although there is an easily-appliable fix that can somewhat remedy this in many cases (do a search, it's easy to find). The real secret bummer of the thing, however, is that there are nothing in that way of save states. All things considered, this device gets tons of hate but if you are a genuine fan of those classic games, it's absolutely not a bad thing to pick up.

JimboJones

I'm guessing this will be met with a lukewarm reception everywhere except maybe the UK and Brazil. Unless they go crazy with the marketing but I'll probably bite just so it can sit next to my SNES mini.

I wonder what controller ports will be like, mini/standardUSB, wireless, just built in?

Huh just checked argos, there's already an at games system there, I wonder whats so special about this one.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I wonder if it will just have the same games that they are able to license for the Genesis Collection they keep re-selling.

ilfait

This is an important thing to point out. The other reservation i have with these mini revivals of classic consoles is the abscense of a cart slot, which make them mostly pointless in practice. If companies are not including slots then might as well sell recreations of classic controllers that use Blutooth and include a voucher to download the ROMS.

i' ve been saying for years, even before the mini craze, that there's a market to be exploited for re releases of classic game consoles. Companies could even start kickstarters for reprinting the classic games with the bigger demand.

Sega had the golden opportunity to do it better than Nintendo, they are missing out.
Yep. It sucks that they don't reprint classic games. They could even print mini carts to go with a real (non-software-emulated) mini console, but they half-ass it instead, only serving casuals. And with all the input/audio latency that goes along with these shoddy releases, especially when combined with laggy digital displays, they make classic games look bad in the process, leaving a lot of people wondering why so many of these games are highly regarded. Must be nostalgia.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://gematsu.com/2018/09/sega-mega-drive-mini-delayed-to-2019

Sega has delayed the Sega Fes 2018-announced Mega Drive Mini (name tentative) to 2019.

According to the company, while the device was in development for release in 2018, the response to its announcement was particularly big overseas, and a Genesis model for North America and Mega Drive model for Europe are now in preparation with plans for a simultaneous worldwide release.

Also, in order to Sega achieve a level of quality that Sega fans expect, Sega has established a system to rethink the design of the device with the original team at its core, as well as cooperate with Japanese developers proven in software development.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
all i read is they sacked the people on the project and realised people don't want atgames shit and something on par as nes/snes mini

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Is there a list of games? Because if the list is the same (or smaller) than the SEGA Collection that just came out on PS4...

Here's hoping they do it right as those Genesis USB hubs already looked dope so all we need now is proper emulation and decent controllers with HDMI out and I'll give em 50 bucks just cause.

CJY

Banned
This is just ATgames version thats been out for ages?

It doesn’t have the atgames logo on the front, so my presumption is that there is something different about this newer one that’s coming out.

Also, atgames flashback doesn’t have the volume rocker. So that’s another obvious change.

Last edited:

Kazza

It seems that Sega is taking some kind of poll asking what games to include on the Mini:

Google translation:

"MegaDrive Mini (tentative name) recorded title referendum" held! Please vote on the next following tweets! In the referendum titles will be decided, the next three series! · "Sonic the Hedgehog" series · "Puyo Puyo" series · "Shining Force" series

Hmm, it seems like they're asking to choose between Sonic 1 & 2 :messenger_confused:

StormCell

If we can't count on Sonic 1, 2, & 3 all being on a Genesis mini/classic then just forget about making the thing. Just scrap it and forget it and move on. Just make the archive packages for consoles and make some game pads that are compatible with consoles and be done with it.

cireza

Most stupid poll ever.

We want awesome games never re-released before, third party games. Not choosing among games that should all be included by default.

Come on, put Gleylancer in this shit and stop asking stupid questions, Sega !

It seems that Sega is taking some kind of poll asking what games to include on the Mini:

Google translation:

Hmm, it seems like they're asking to choose between Sonic 1 & 2 :messenger_confused:

Let us hope this means more room for other SEGA games that never got the Spotlight this time.

Silly to ask but I hope then that they spread it out more.

Top Bottom