• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 9 now up on WiiWare (67blocks)/PSN(Now)/XBLA(10/1). ProtoM DLC $2 next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

x3sphere

Segata Sanshiro said:
Game is harsh but fair. The difficulty can be alleviated quite a bit if you wish by buying cheap shop items.

Oh, and I was nosing in the user manual and found this:

Endless attack is 10/06 for 300 points
Hero mode, 10/20 for 100 points
Superhero mode, 10/20 for 100 points
Proto Man mode 10/06 for 200 points
Special stage 10/20 for 100 points

So, there's your DLC upfront with dates and prices.

WTF. I hope the DLC doesn't sell... most of this should have already been included in the game.

HUELEN10

JSnake said:
I don't recall that. Are you thinking of someone else?

edit: I don't think I've ever begged. I've only asked for a VC game twice and both times, I paypal'd the dudes who gifted me.
Still, take that to the buy-sell-trade thread.

Tucah

you speak so well
Fuck college. I have a lot of homework to do, it's so hard to avoid buying the game right now. I'm so excited for this, even though I've never even been good at a Megaman game.

Yaweee

I'm not too familiar with the differences between WiiWare and VC, but since this is WiiWare, an in-game save is actually saved? For VC games, don't you have to exit out at HOME menu to use the save function?

i thought i'd be able to take out at least one boss in my quick chance to play, but no. i think each and every stage is going to be an undertaking for me. very difficult, but its like a true successor to the first few games that came out in an alternate 1991 or something.

What the heck? Even the shop is cheap in this game. I bought the the book of hairstyles, which gives you MM without helmet, similar to the MM2 intro, however, you have to buy your helmet back if you want to go with classic helmet on MM.

Ridiculous. :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yaweee said:
I'm curious as to whether the base game will sell enough to be a profit. $10 is pretty cheap for an original game of this size and polish, and subtracting Nintendo's cut makes it even more financially grisly.
Well, Capcom seemed pretty happy with the sales of Bionic Commando Rearmed (which was a MUCH more impressive and likely more expensive production than Megaman 9) and that was also sold for $10.

john tv

The challenges are pretty awesome. Some of them are ridiculous :)

Galaxy Man wasn't bad at all. Tried Splash Woman and Concrete Man and got served, though. Good times!

biggkidd32 said:
What the heck? Even the shop is cheap in this game. I bought the the book of hairstyles, which gives you MM without helmet, similar to the MM2 intro, however, you have to buy your helmet back if you want to go with classic helmet on MM.

Ridiculous. :lol
If you die, you get your helmet back. Yeah, it's dumb.

ElFly

Yaweee said:
I'm not too familiar with the differences between WiiWare and VC, but since this is WiiWare, an in-game save is actually saved? For VC games, don't you have to exit out at HOME menu to use the save function?

There is a save menu in the game.

I'll probably pick up all the dlc but the harder diffuculties. I buy maps for shooters like Halo, Gears and COD and don't feel ripped off. They provided more than enough enjoyment for 60 bucks and for 10 bucks more I had more maps to play on. Same here, 10 bucks is a great price for a true Mega Man sequel. I've not dled it yet but I'm sure I'll like it enough to get the endless level and Protoman. From what I've read they sound really cool.

Yaweee

Galaxy and Magma were easy, both in stage and in boss fight. They were still cool, though, even if the basic patterns were rather simple.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Plug Man definitely got my favorite stage so far but it was way too easy. His design is great though. I tried all the levels and I could only reach Concrete, Galaxy and Plug. The game is ridiculously hard.

Naka

Sorry if its been discussed but does anyone have any input on what system to buy the game for if we have all 3? Usually I would buy this type of thing on XBLA but I am a little weary of the controller for a MM game.

Kletian said:
So I'm assuming:

300 points to get rid of the 3 shot maximum? Lame
100 points for hard mode? Cool
100 points for FYUTA mode? Awesome
200 points for Proto Man. Superawesome
100 points for a new stage? superawesomex2

so 5 bucks for more content (fuck buying constant blaster fire)
:lol That's ridiculous. EA...er...I mean Capcom should be ashamed of themselves.

Bonus stage I will buy, but paying money to shoot faster and for a hard mode is ridiculous. And even Protoman by himself is not worth $1.99. Maybe if it was a pack of four characters, like Bass, Protoman, Roll, and someone else, I would be all over it.

Naka said:
Sorry if its been discussed but does anyone have any input on what system to buy the game for if we have all 3? Usually I would buy this type of thing on XBLA but I am a little weary of the controller for a MM game.

If you own all three console and can't wait, I would say Wii. The sideways Wiimote is great, at least in my opinion. And the game is small enough that I wouldn't worry about storage.

Otherwise, if storage is an issue get the PS3 version. But that means waiting 3 more days. I couldn't do that myself.

If you are an achievement whore and can tolerate the 360 d-pad go with that, but that is a longer wait. Plus you can also use the analog stick if you can't stand the d-pad. I can't use the analog sticks for 2-d games myself.

Hero

This game is hard. Some of the bosses seem pretty impossible without the proper special weapon. That I do not like. Stages are brutal.

They made Galaxy Man easy on purpose because they knew everyone would choose him first, then they made every other stage brutal. Even Splash Woman is pretty hard, but it still doesn't compare to almost every other one.

JavyOO7

Hero said:
This game is hard. Some of the bosses seem pretty impossible without the proper special weapon. That I do not like. Stages are brutal.

I think all the Mega Man's have always been like that, if I'm not mistaken. I don't see the harm in it, to be honest.

thefro

biggkidd32 said:
If you own all three console and can't wait, I would say Wii. The sideways Wiimote is great, at least in my opinion. And the game is small enough that I wouldn't worry about storage.

Otherwise, if storage is an issue get the PS3 version. But that means waiting 3 more days. I couldn't do that myself.

If you are an achievement whore and can tolerate the 360 d-pad go with that, but that is a longer wait. Plus you can also use the analog stick if you can't stand the d-pad. I can't use the analog sticks for 2-d games myself.

Supposedly the 360/PS3 versions are a bit blurrier and that makes them a little less NES faithful than the Wii version in the graphics department.

Also, all of the Achievements are in all 3 versions as part of 50 "Challenges", so you still get them in the game no matter what version you get. Obviously on the 360 some of them help your gamer score.

Is anyone going to ''cheat'' and buy the shave damage power-up? I'm tempted but I want to complete the game without it. Call it gamer pride or whatever.

jett

D-Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
Game is harsh but fair. The difficulty can be alleviated quite a bit if you wish by buying cheap shop items.

Oh, and I was nosing in the user manual and found this:

Endless attack is 10/06 for 300 points
Hero mode, 10/20 for 100 points
Superhero mode, 10/20 for 100 points
Proto Man mode 10/06 for 200 points
Special stage 10/20 for 100 points

So, there's your DLC upfront with dates and prices.

Oh wow fuck that. I'm still buying the game, but I'm not buying any of that shit.

I need someone to send me the game via Gift cus my usual place for Wii Points (videogamesplus.ca) don't have any in stock.

I pay back via Paypal.

I live in the UK but have an american console. PM me if you can do it please!!

biggkidd32 said:
Is anyone going to ''cheat'' and buy the shave damage power-up? I'm tempted but I want to complete the game without it. Call it gamer pride or whatever.

Pretty sure it only lasts for one level or one life or something. I personally never really buy items that are temporary. I do like that energy powerup thing that auto-refills your lowest secondary weapon when you run over the weapon powerups though.

MisterAnderson said:
Pretty sure it only lasts for one level or one life or something. I personally never really buy items that are temporary. I do like that energy powerup thing that auto-refills your lowest secondary weapon when you run over the weapon powerups though.
Is that permanent? The energy powerup thing?

Hero

For Tornado Man's stage I found it was easier to keep jumping on the battery things that spin you upside down. If you jump right after landing you won't flip upside down and have to worry about timing so much.

Just my two cents.

Aeana

Well, it's good so far. My initial impression was "this is wayyyy easy" after I started the game and beat Splash Woman's stage without taking any damage at all, but my opinion in that regard has changed (I hate you, Tornado Man's stage.). The music is the biggest disappointment for me. I see a lot of people praising it, so I guess that's cool for those people... but to me, it just doesn't sound like Mega Man music, and I actually find some of it annoying enough that it's hampering my experience. I realize that I'm in the minority on this, though.

6 of the robot masters down, and now it's time to get some work done. :O

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
It sucks that I'm stuck in work at the moment :( Gotta pick up a CC and a copy of this game as soon as I get out. Anybody find the ideal order for the bosses yet?

I love the music personally. It's been my biggest surprise. It's not to level of the legendary MM2 OST, but I find it very catchy and a welcome throwback to old school OSTs.

M3wThr33 said:
$8 of extra shit? It's worse than I thought. FUCK that. Fuck that HARD.
I guess the good news is that even if you don't buy any of it, you still get a really great, well-designed, new installment in the Mega Man series.

Scrubking

Aeana said:
Well, it's good so far. My initial impression was "this is wayyyy easy" after I started the game and beat Splash Woman's stage without taking any damage at all, but my opinion in that regard has changed (I hate you, Tornado Man's stage.). The music is the biggest disappointment for me. I see a lot of people praising it, so I guess that's cool for those people... but to me, it just doesn't sound like Mega Man music, and I actually find some of it annoying enough that it's hampering my experience. I realize that I'm in the minority on this, though.

6 of the robot masters down, and now it's time to get some work done. :O

The music really isn't that good. Maybe one or two stand out, but that's about it.

Kletian

Segata Sanshiro said:
I guess the good news is that even if you don't buy any of it, you still get a really great, well-designed, new installment in the Mega Man series.

Except, I think he's one of the ones not buying it at all in some insane protest to the existense of pay2play DLC.

Or I could be wrong /shrug

_RT_

probably a dumb question.... but can you save your game and continue at a later date?
I just don't have the patience to have to play this the whole way through in one sitting.

Opiate

I'm very excited about this game, but because I do not yet have a Wii and because I'm interested by the achievements offered for this game (and I rarely am attracted to achievements), I'll wait it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom