• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection (GC) IGN Review

Culex

Banned
8.5 Overall

Though we'll concede that the pair of bonus fighting games are a little on the weak side, It's otherwise hard to find criticisms for Mega Man Anniversary Collection that aren't inherent to the genre. Yes it's dated and nowhere near as complex as the majority of today's action/platform games, and it doesn't boast a series of elaborate cut scenes or extensive voice overs either (with the exception of Mega Man 8, of course). But when all is said and done, does any of that really matter? Truthfully, no. Because what Mega Man Anniversary lacks in technology and convolution, it more than makes up for in mechanical brilliance, loveable characters, a compelling art direction, and an abundance of robotic charm.

Make no two bones about it, Mega Man Anniversary Collection is one of the best anthology sets we've seen for any platform so far (even if it is a little light in the game count compared to other retro throwbacks like Intellivision Lives and Activision Anthology). Throw in the fact that is has a suggested retail price of less than thirty bucks, a nice amount of bonus content, and the right dose of enhancements to an already strong lineup of games, and it's hard to imagine our GameCube and PlayStation 2 libraries without it.

Good stuff. This review really makes me want this collection now!

IGN CUBE

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Crap, I had forgot this game was about to come out. At least it is only $30, I've been spending to much money lately.

Culex

Banned
Wyzdom said:
Mine. On PS2 though. Is there a difference in the line up of games between the 2 version by the way??

Slightly better loading times on the GC, and the PS2 version has a full anime episode, while the GC version has interviews.

Either version, it's 30 dollars well spent.

kiryogi

Banned
Perhaps the news that will please the fans most of all, however, is that Atomic Planet has cleared up all the glitches we complained about in our preview just a few weeks ago. Load times are down considerably (on GCN about five to eight seconds from the menu to each individual game with no loading after that) and slowdown and flicker from the original cart versions have been almost entirely eliminated (it's still in there, but it's only noticeable a few times per game). Consider us relieved.

Sound
The remixed soundtracks sound great and Atomic Planet has appropriately mixed them in a way to not sound foreign when playing the older games. It may not be elaborate, but it gets the job done.

They remixed it themselves? not the PSone versions? Nonetheless, consider me sold. :D

edit: navi mode sounds neat too.

jett

D-Member
I'd like to know what "anime episode" is this. Is it from the shitty US Mega Man cartoon or some 1337 anime from Japan?

Graphics
The most recent game in the game in the lineup is front 199, but the fighters are a little newer. Either way, the style and direction is there but it's nowhere near today's level of detail. 5.0

Holy shit, I had no clue Megaman was so old!

Best of all, Navi Mode also kicks off remixed soundtracks for Mega Man 1 thru 7, the likes of which kick ass all over the original tunes. Nice!

If this game(s) isn't a no-brainer, I don't know what it.

So Gamecube loading
"about five to eight seconds from the menu to each individual game with no loading after that"

and PS2 loading
"about 10 to 15 seconds from the menu to each individual game with no loading after that"

PS2 version is about double the loading of GCN, but what else is new? I'm getting the PS2 version anyway for the controller. The load times are still better than what I expected.

Well giving this is a Classic compilation i think its a bit stupid Ps2 version has a anime episode instead of the producers interviews.....but whatever...

pops619

This will be the best compilation ever. Is it any surprise? As long as these developers did their job and emulated everything properly, this was going to be a great collection. Regardless of loading times, I'm getting the PS2 version. I see myself enjoying this more with the PS2 controller as opposed to GC's. Tuesday can't come soon enough. For me, nothing gets better than the classic Mega Man series. I've played through all of these games, but to have them all in one collection? Awesome.

Why does it take that long to load a 1/2 MB game into memory? Is it because it has to decompress everything before you play it or something like that?

BeOnEdge

Banned
i too would like a link to the music. i wasnt gonna get this but that price is tempting. so is the remixed music. what does the GC version have over the ps2 version? i'll take whichever one has the most extras.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
BeOnEdge said:
i too would like a link to the music. i wasnt gonna get this but that price is tempting. so is the remixed music. what does the GC version have over the ps2 version? i'll take whichever one has the most extras.

The features are the same except the PS2 version has a Megaman anime episode and the Gamecube version has some developer interviews.

BeOnEdge

Banned
exactly. i dont have the same amount of free time i did when i was in 5th grade. i dun wanna deal with passwords either.

pops619

Save games would make a lot of sense. Surely it wasn't mentioned in the review because it was such a no-brainer... right? At the very least, Mega Man 8 will have them, but it had them to begin with. Personally, it doesn't matter that much to me. These games can be beaten in like an hour or so. But I guess I can see why the lack of saving would bother people.

BeOnEdge

Banned
emu eh? :) i just watched the vids at IGN. i think i may just pass. i was expecting it to look more up to date. looks like a colorful nes version. and the music sounds the same. unless theres an option for original tunes, i cant tell a difference. :( see! this is why they need to do 2d remakes with 2.5d graphics. i'm still mad at capcom for cancelling capcom allstars.

edit- so 8 IS included? UGHHHHH!!! maybe i will have to get it. even though i already have 8 on both saturn and psx. is 8 redone?

Yeah I forgot to mention it in the review, but there are autosaves between boss battles. All the original passwords work too.

cvxfreak

Nice! Looks like the delay gave Capcom and the developer time to improve the compilation's quality and it paid off well.

Bebpo

Banned
Gunsmoke said:
What's wrong BeOnEdge ? You think these games aren't emulated ?

What is the cube version or the ps2 version ?
None other than 8 emulated roms burnt to a disc with a menu select screen.
[And additional kiddie anime movie file]

What is the Xbox version ?
The exact same thing without the disc.

errr, wtf

"What is the cube version or the ps2 version"

--They are the ones that you pay actual money for in order to derive entertainment fairly from

"What is the Xbox version"

--It is a an emulated bootleg that you are not paying for and are stealing from Capcom.

pops619

These aren't just straight-up emulated NES roms. They removed a lot of the slowdown and flickering that were in the original games, streamlined the weapon selecting process, added save games and added remixed music on top of that. That's plenty enhancements right there. If you don't want to buy it, fine. But you're not impressing anyone with your emulators. Guess what, I have all of these games (with the exception of Mega Man 8) on my computer. That doesn't mean I'm not going to buy the collection.

Top Bottom