• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Battle Network - Jacking into the Network

This was one of my first multimedia obsessions; I loved (love) the games, read the manga, and adored (the now unwatchable for me) anime. It also was my first exposure to the Mega Man series which nowadays holds a special place in my heart.

I've wanted one of those digivice-like PET toys that used physical chips since the series started but I'm pretty sure they go for an insane amount of money online...

Megaman Battle Network was an interesting idea with mixed reviews mostly because they seemed to have released to early. They didn't quite have the concept down until 2, and when that proved to show the right direction they rushed 3 out to capitalize on it because the sales were increasing up with the TV show.

Thing is though, Megaman Battle Network removing the new idea isn't really that good of a game.

For one armor, at least one of them, is required but they don't really tell you how to get them. They don't tell you which chips you have selected which proves my point this game was thrown out before they really added polish. The internet areas look like they were made in MS pain. and the escape chip Idea was pure nonsense.

Megaman Battle Network is like a 2 hour game at best, padded by pointless characters and battles you don't know are pointless and virus encounters. Luckily the encounters don't have the frequency of 4 or this game would be irritating.

The plot about brother hub was silly and I'm glad that capcom kind of ignored that plot though I know whats his name wanted to do more with it. I mean all of that is pointless if nobody recognizes that lans saved the world ever until the 5th game for one cutscene that lasts 3 seconds. (In 4 he literally saves the planet, and so does Reagal to an extent.)

Anyway, Megaman Battle Network was a good idea, it worked, but then the 3rd game pretty much ended whatever progress they were making because they went backwards in every game after 3 and the series just died.

Back to the first game, another issue I had is certain chips lagged to much to use them, and I'd say that's actually because they didn't optimize the frames because in some areas they work faster.

I was also never a fan of the upgrade system in 1 and 2, although 2 fixed multiple problems with it. I mean we are moving around looking for powerups or grinding money to buy power ups in MSpaint with no real escape option unless you draw an escape chip, adding hours of additional artificial gameplay.

Plot is another issue, there's nothing really there. They have you interact with characters and outside 1 (higsby) whose motivations either way aren't elaborated on, they are all stale. Even within the main story.

BN2 fixes this relatively. Though it's BN3 that really shines in that regard.

Love this series, though I feel like it was a bit mismanaged. They rushed these out far too quickly, which made them exhaust the target audience. They didn't always have enough compelling ideas to fill a game, and encounter designs could get pretty dire at times. Localisation felt compromised in the best games, and were just downright bad in the worst too. I know the original script in Japanese is nothing mind-blowing either, and targeted pretty young audiences. The stilted dialogue at times and the needless abbreviations made for things that were annoying to read though.

In spite of all of this, I adore the battle system, and still see so much potential in it. The core concept is also basically the best interpretation of Tron to me.

I like 2, 3 and 6 the most, but I have a soft spot for the first one as well.

Loved this series...like every Mega Man series, they started cranking them out rapidly once they got a winning formula and didn't think about trying to keep it fresh or keep people from tiring of them, which sucked considering the GBA basically only existed as the main platform for 4 or so years. 5/6 games, with multiple Pokemon-like versions in less than 4 years - and some spinoff titles mixed in to boot? Not a good look.

The first 3 of these games were magic though, and Network Transmission on GameCube was underrated. I wish there was a way to revisit this universe and its gameplay in a better way than the sequel series on NDS did.

goldenpp72

I remember loving the first game but being tired out by the maze design of the net on top of the random battles.. Did that ever improve in the series?

Loved this series...like every Mega Man series, they started cranking them out rapidly once they got a winning formula and didn't think about trying to keep it fresh or keep people from tiring of them, which sucked considering the GBA basically only existed as the main platform for 4 or so years. 5/6 games, with multiple Pokemon-like versions in less than 4 years - and some spinoff titles mixed in to boot? Not a good look.

The first 3 of these games were magic though, and Network Transmission on GameCube was underrated. I wish there was a way to revisit this universe and its gameplay in a better way than the sequel series on NDS did.

They released these games in 4 years and it's not even all the games:

1. Megaman Battle Network
  2. Megaman Network Transmission
  3. Megaman Battle Network 2
  4. Megaman Battle Network 3 White
  5. Megaman Battle Network 3 Blue
  6. Megaman Battle Chip Challenge
  7. Rockman EXE N1 Battle (WS)
  8. Rockman EXE WS
  9. Megaman Battle Network 4 Blue
  10. Megaman Battle Network 4 Red
  11. Megaman Battle Network 4.5
  12. Megaman Battle Network 5 Colonel
  13. Megaman Battle Network 5 Protoman
  14. Megaman Battle Network 5 Double Team

That's 14 games in 4 years and I didn't include 6 or the other WS game.

kiryogi

Banned
Never understood the overall love for 3, I mean I do, but 6 was definitely the pinnacle of the series, and with a great finale to boot. Definitely a great way to tie things up unlike how most of the Megaman stories are.

Also Starforce was pretty decent, same echo for Starforce 3. While it was a short trilogy, Starforce 3 wrapped things up pretty well, while also making decent improvements since the first title.

Never understood the overall love for 3, I mean I do, but 6 was definitely the pinnacle of the series, and with a great finale to boot. .

HAHA what?

You are a unique one. ^ is one of the worse in the series with a lot of unexplained plot holes, continuity errors and an ending that shows nothing and seems rushed. Likely they wanted to quickly go to Starforce, which was basically the same game, because the Megaman Battle Network brand had been failing since BN4.

I mean some good ideas and they fixed the fusion system. But it was a pretty safe game with a lot of backtracking and a worse encounter rate after the first hour of the game then 5.

AGITΩ

The BN Series is honestly what made me a Megaman Fan. I was a huge RPG junkie as a Kid, and this new spin on the series really sucked me in. The story was entertaining, the battle system was easy to get into, and the characters were likable. It's still a series I wish were around, or at least brought back. Though I never got the last couple games in the franchise, I've already began rebuying them on the Wii U VC to replay through again.

I've been interested in checking this series out, because they're all on the Wii U Virtual Console. I like Mega Man a lot and the art style and gameplay seem really cool, so I'm definitely intrigued. It seems like 3 Blue is the one to go for.

One question, though...when people say that the story is "good", what does that mean, exactly? I'm not asking for Final Fantasy VI/Xenogears/Hamlet here, but is it good for a kids' RPG or is it just a good story all around? I never got into Pokemon as a kid, and I tried to play X last year, to see what all the fuss was about - I enjoyed it to an extent, but, on top of the overly simple and easy gameplay (never lost a battle until the final four masters), the story was clearly made for kids, and I just couldn't pay attention. I know that should be obvious - Pokemon is for kids! - but a lot of shonen-style action stuff can still be really fun and entertaining as an adult who likes comics, action movies, etc. Hell, I'm 32 and I still get a kick out of Shonen Jump kind of stuff like Dragonball Z and recently One Punch Man.

So, what do you all think? I've been burned before when it comes to this - I heard Golden Sun had a great story and I found it incredibly boring and bland. I don't mind shonen action cliches, but there needs to be a strong and fun story behind them.

SkyOdin

The Battle Network games have a story that is definitly aimed primarily at kids, but the result is good enough for most adults to enjoy. I haven't played through BN 1, so I can't judge its plot. However, the stories for BN 2 and particularly 3 are fun.

The games areworth it for the gameplay alone though, so I suggest you try them on that merit.

The Battle Network games have a story that is definitly aimed primarily at kids, but the result is good enough for most adults to enjoy. I haven't played through BN 1, so I can't judge its plot. However, the stories for BN 2 and particularly 3 are fun.

The games areworth it for the gameplay alone though, so I suggest you try them on that merit.

BN2's plot and events is just pure insanity. Like, I don't even know where to start.

I will love a reboot, remake or even the BN version of the X series, they could so much with online gaming. I own all the games and I like all of them, even Battle Chip Challenge and the anime was entertaining too.

Capcom had something good with this series but they got greedy to quick.

I am still sad that we won't have the enhanced port of MMBN1 on the DS, I know it's a port with little effort but I still want it. I am surprised it's not on DSi or 3DS eshop as a cheap download. Its can't be that expensive for Capcom since most of the text have been translated and there should not be that much new text to translate.

trixx

This franchise is like ReBoot. Too far ahead of it's time. If this was released this gen, I think it would be one of the biggest rpg franchises.

Fantastic set of games

Good to see this series get some love on gaf. Makes me feel like I dont have to constantly rave about it as much. I would like to add that 4 is just as great as 3 was, and the final boss is awesome

Jachaos

Series was awesome and the gameplay was top notch. Varied enemies and attacks, deck building, strategy with time to think + twitchy real time, pattern recognition, it had it all.

TreIII

I will love a reboot, remake or even the BN version of the X series, they could so much with online gaming. I own all the games and I like all of them, even Battle Chip Challenge and the anime was entertaining too.

Capcom had something good with this series but they got greedy to quick.

Greedy is definitely true, but they really just shat the bed when it came to BN4. It was such a badly received game that it doomed the "hobby-style" Rockman line, and in turn, really set the stage for the entire franchise falling out of Capcom's graces.

That said, I'd definitely welcome the return or a proper spiritual successor of this game style. It was truly one of a kind, and waaaay ahead of its time.

wmlk

Oh it is! 3 was toned down a smidge, but it was still pretty crazy.

And it got crazier and crazier from 3. I don't remember a thing about those games.

Regarding the story, since it's a linear story with direct sequels, the most enjoyable thing about it is that you can see the characters and your home, ACDC Town, change at each instalment. You grow attached to the familiar areas and characters in the series. It does a good job at establishing those things.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I still need to beat Elec Man's stage. Stupid battery puzzle.

alf717

This series really resonated with me. I was really into computers and was studying to get my degree in Internet/Network Engineer. Then along comes Mega Man Battle Network. Man I could go on for hours talking about Battle Network. What really made it great was that my nephew was also into the series and we would link up for net battles. Battle Network 2 would have to be my favorite of the series. I spent hours collecting all the Battle chips and linking up with my nephew just to get all the special chip to unlock hard mode in Battle Network 2. I really enjoyed the anime as well and the GameCube title was really fun. The Battle Network series was a fun ride and even though it ended with 6 it was worth all the fun. The movie is really good as well. Check it out if you can.

I have been a fan of Megaman since the first Gameboy MM game so when Battle Network released I tried 1 and 2 and hated them. Then one day when I was with my family shopping on Sam's I saw they where selling Battle Network 3 Blue cheap and I thought "why not?" and begged my mom to buy it and the rest I think that by seeing my avatar and user name I guess you can say that I liked it. After finishing 3 I played 1 and 2 again this time beating them and then buying the rest as they came out.

The one thing I couldn't stand about the BN franchise was the anime airing in WB, thank god that the Manga was way better and Serenade. EXE appears quite a bit on it. I do hope that if Capcom releases another VS fighting game that they put Bass. EXE and Copy X (I really wanted them with Tron Bonne team but capcom didn't even give Zero a MMZero skin to motivate me into buying MvsC3).

Been replaying Battle Network 3 lately. I've honestly forgotten how good the series is <3. And the music is incredible. I'm having all the nostalgia feels right now. Definitely planning on replaying 4 (Red Sun) after I'm finished with 3!

Netto-kun

Guess this is somewhat relevant.

You can listen to 1 minute previews of the upcoming Rockman EXE 15th Arrange Best Track here.

I don't think eCapcom takes foreign cards anymore. So best bet is probably import sites like Nippon-yasan, Nin-Nin Game etc if you want to grab the CD.

Still waiting for mentioned import sites to list the Rockman EXE Sound Box.

Also I need to do a playthrough of all the GBA games (Battle Chip Challenge & 4.5 included) whenever I have the time. It's pretty sweet that Capcom made all the GBA games available on Wii U eShop...with 4.5 obviously being Japan-only.

Top Bottom