• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legacy Collection |OT| One "Mighty" Collection

Playing through Mega Man 6 as it and 5 are the two I've never played and I'm really enjoying it. Difficulty is just right.

6 is incredibly underrated. It's a gem. It came out really late in the NES lifecycle, so a lot of people missed out on it.

Fun fact: Nintendo themselves published it in North America.

How is the performance so bad in Mega Man 3 compared to the others? Are there any stories of why they launched with the game in that state?

Ishida

Banned
How is the performance so bad in Mega Man 3 compared to the others? Are there any stories of why they launched with the game in that state?

Mega Man 3 was rushed to the market, and Inafune himself has claimed that he was disappointed for all the bugs and stuff they had to remove or failed to implement.

Still my favorite game in all the franchise, though.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I just bought this tonight. I'm personally an X fan, but it's mainly do to being more exposed to the SNES library. I did play 1 and 2 over the years and other installments. I do prefer the charge shot. I don't mind the first few games, but to me it gets better later on in terms of handling the game.

I had a few slow downs here and there. Wasn't so bad after a while.

danielcw

Mega Man 3 was rushed to the market, and Inafune himself has claimed that he was disappointed for all the bugs and stuff they had to remove or failed to implement.

I consider MM3 my favourite in the series, too, and have no idea what you are talking about.
The game never felt rushed or incomplete to me.

Is there a good article about it?

Sciz

Playing through Mega Man 6 as it and 5 are the two I've never played and I'm really enjoying it. Difficulty is just right.
MM6 is a real joy to play, especially once you know to go straight for the suits and start really putting them through their paces. 7's hybrid suit is a miserable bastardization by comparison.

makes complete sense then

I mean, I can't believe I never noticed how bad it was before.

Gren

I consider MM3 my favourite in the series, too, and have no idea what you are talking about.
The game never felt rushed or incomplete to me.

Is there a good article about it?

Quote comes from his wikipedia page; he stated as such in an issue of Nintendo Power: If you can easily google search for the full article scans, but I'll refrain from linking them here on GAF.

Inafune considers Mega Man 3 to be one of his least favorite Mega Man games. From an interview with Nintendo Power in the October 2007 issue, Inafune explained that the reason was because of "...what went into the game and what was behind the release of the game." He also stated that the team was forced to put the game out before they thought it was ready and that during the game's production, the developers had lost the main planner, Inafune having to take his position. Inafune concluded, "I knew that if we had more time to polish it, we could do a lot of things better, make it a better game, but the company (Capcom) said that we needed to release it. The whole environment behind what went into the production of the game is what I least favored. Numbers one and two – I really wanted to make the games; I was so excited about them. Number three – it just turned very different."

I love it though, tied with 2 for my faves.

Quote comes from his wikipedia page; he stated as such in an issue of Nintendo Power: If you can easily google search for the full article scans, but I'll refrain from linking them here on GAF.

I love it though, tied with 2 for my faves.

Its true tho, some levels feel randomly thrown together, both with their layouts and enemy placement. Some weapons flat out suck like the duuumb Top Spin move that EATS energy.

Also, enemy item drop rates are much more stingy than MM2's, IE more farming for energy and health which ruins the pacing of levels.

I've generally found my tastes rarely line up with Inafune's, and that, when I hear them, they run counter to what I consider the best parts of the franchise. The only thing we agree on is that Mega Man II is an eyesore.

Not to mention, the boner and consistent tendency to fellate Mega Man 2 has held the franchise back for a long, long time.

Mega Man 3 is rough around the edges but it's solid and just plain more epic of a game, in my eyes.

(Inafune hates Command Mission. To hell with him.)

leroidys

I really like 3. Fortunately Mega Man 9 came along so I don't have to deal with trying to decide whether 2 or 3 is my favorite.

desmax

Just finished Megaman 2

9B54FB0694F96CB0B72A99A561B3F44D68C7AA02

Btw, what was that ending?
"Darn, that megaman foiled my plans again!
Oh, I know! I'll just pretend that I was an alien all along! That'll show him"

Btw, I just got a Steam Card of the game. Guess they'll implemented it now.

SkyOdin

Its true tho, some levels feel randomly thrown together, both with their layouts and enemy placement. Some weapons flat out suck like the duuumb Top Spin move that EATS energy.

The Top Spin's energy drain is actually a bug, from what I hear. It only happens when you use the Top Spin when Mega Man is invincible post-damage. So it mostly triggers when you use the Top Spin against an enemy that doesn't die, harming Mega Man in the process.

However, if you use the Top Spin against enemies that do die in one hit, it can be a very energy efficient and safe way to deal with threats. It makes Mega Man immune to a lot of common projectiles too. So a lot of high-level Mega Man players swear by the Top Spin and call it the best weapon in MM3.

Just finished Megaman 2

Btw, what was that ending?
"Darn, that megaman foiled my plans again!
Oh, I know! I'll just pretend that I was an alien all along! That'll show him"

Btw, I just got a Steam Card of the game. Guess they'll implemented it now.

The way I saw it, (and the World of Power book backs this up) Wily is captured and Megaman walks home, imagining how beautiful his home (the countryside where Lights Lab resides) looks during the various seasons. Upon reaching home, he throws off the helmet and finally gets to go home.

The one thing the games never really get into is that Rock really doesn't like being Megaman, but has to don the armor as a necessary evil...

Also, this may sound stupid, but what exactly is a Steam Card? Do you only get it by buying through Steam (rather say Amazon or GMG)

desmax

The way I saw it, (and the World of Power book backs this up) Wily is captured and Megaman walks home, imagining how beautiful his home (the countryside where Lights Lab resides) looks during the various seasons. Upon reaching home, he throws off the helmet and finally gets to go home.

The one thing the games never really get into is that Rock really doesn't like being Megaman, but has to don the armor as a necessary evil...

Also, this may sound stupid, but what exactly is a Steam Card? Do you only get it by buying through Steam (rather say Amazon or GMG)

Oh, that I get; poor wording of my part. I just got confused at the final boss.

Steam Card is kinda of digital Trading Cards that drop randomly as you play a game (Compartible with it, at least). Each game normally has 8 cards, and you only get 4 drops (And they can be repeats); the rest the cards have to be traded or brough with real money. If you don't want a card, you can sell them yourself.

Having a full deck allows you to craft a badge, in which will give you something random, like a background picture for your profile, or an emoticon for chat. You can keep making badges after making the original one, in order to get different stuff and increase the level of your badge (Which is just a number)

Oh, that I get; poor wording of my part. I just got confused at the final boss.

Steam Card is kinda of digital Trading Cards that drop randomly as you play a game (Compartible with it, at least). Each game normally has 8 cards, and you only get 4 drops (And they can be repeats); the rest the cards have to be traded or brough with real money. If you don't want a card, you can sell them yourself.

Having a full deck allows you to craft a badge, in which will give you something random, like a background picture for your profile, or an emoticon for chat. You can keep making badges after making the original one, in order to get different stuff and increase the level of your badge (Which is just a number)

So, kinda like random achievements, huh?

Cool to hear!

And my mistake about the ending. Even the Archie comic pokes at this:

Mj78x.jpg

alf717

6 is incredibly underrated. It's a gem. It came out really late in the NES lifecycle, so a lot of people missed out on it.

Fun fact: Nintendo themselves published it in North America.

Mega Man 6 is really good. The only issue is that the Robot Masters are dumb as bricks. It is the only copy of Mega Man I own boxed. Still have the KB Toys sticker on it. $14.99

webkatt

I hate the slowdown in these games. I understand the nostalgia of it but I really wish there was a switch for it

BONKERS

My math might be completely off on this, but the minimal resolution you'd be able to do this properly looks to be 1280x960. This should be trivial on PC platforms and shouldn't be a problem on HD platforms as long as they're running in 1080p, but what if they're running in 720p? What about the 3DS port, when that comes out? There has to be some level of filtering/stretching on those, even if it's light, like the way that PS1 games are scaled to work on the PSP/Vita.

I haven't played the MM Legacy Collection but I'm curious to see how they handled it. The assorted Virtual Consoles all seem to stretch/filter, and other collections for the Wii have other visual aberrations, though those only ran at 480p at max. Capcom couldn't even get MM9 and 10 to look correct, especially on HD platforms where it's a sludgy mess. The only one that was really satisfactory to me were the M2 Sega collections, which gave you the option to use square pixels anyway and completely sidestep the issue, even if the aspect ratio might be off.

Not true. Once padded and stretched to 320x240, you can use any of the following resolutions for full height output while following integer scaling. If your native is higher than that, I think you will be less likely to see scaling issues from the game itself since the further scaling is happening after the fact. (A lot of people use 720p when using Upscaler units for 240p for example This gets 960x720 a 3:3 ratio. I've never seen anyone report scaling issues after the fact on a 1080p monitor considering 1280x720 has to be scaled 1.5x1.5)

1280x720p, 1280x960p, 1600x1200p, 1920x1200p, 2560x1440p and 3840x2160p.

Even then, if they handle scaling correctly at 1080p you can still get 1280x960 with borders.

As much as people are mentioning the slowdown. It would've been really nice if they added an option to disable it.
It's one aspect of "Accurate" I could live without.

Imagine if someone made a modern port of The Wily Wars but left in all the slowdown. Dear god.

Also: I'm probably alone in that MM4 and MM&B are my favorites

Krelian

I'm not playing the games in order and just finished Mega Man 5 as the first one. It played really well, no bugs, no input lag at all and no noticable sound problems (Xbox One), though my sound setup is far from sophisticated (just using integrated monitor speakers).

I think I'll try 3 now to see for myself if it's really plagued by slowdowns so much.
Mega Man 6 is really good. The only issue is that the Robot Masters are dumb as bricks. It is the only copy of Mega Man I own boxed. Still have the KB Toys sticker on it. $14.99
Amazing price. If only I could go back in time :)

Krelian

Mega Man 3 down. It really is riddled with slowdowns compared to MM5 at least but it's still manageable. Also I do think they were the same in the NES original.

How did I ever do it before? Wily 1 in Mega Man 1 is a nightmare to get through, much less beat the Yellow Devil. This will take hours, days even.

leroidys

Not true. Once padded and stretched to 320x240, you can use any of the following resolutions for full height output while following integer scaling. If your native is higher than that, I think you will be less likely to see scaling issues from the game itself since the further scaling is happening after the fact. (A lot of people use 720p when using Upscaler units for 240p for example This gets 960x720 a 3:3 ratio. I've never seen anyone report scaling issues after the fact on a 1080p monitor considering 1280x720 has to be scaled 1.5x1.5)

1280x720p, 1280x960p, 1600x1200p, 1920x1200p, 2560x1440p and 3840x2160p.

Even then, if they handle scaling correctly at 1080p you can still get 1280x960 with borders.

As much as people are mentioning the slowdown. It would've been really nice if they added an option to disable it.
It's one aspect of "Accurate" I could live without.

Imagine if someone made a modern port of The Wily Wars but left in all the slowdown. Dear god.

Also: I'm probably alone in that MM4 and MM&B are my favorites
Far and away the worst games in the classic series. I'm sorry.

entremet

I never really played MM&Bass. What is the best way to play it?
Is there even a cheap and legal way

Wii U Virtual Console.

It's the GBA version, which doesn't have the original SFC resolution, but it's translated and legally obtainable.

If you have a Retron 5, you can buy the Japanese cart on eBay, download the patch for English and play it.

Angelcurio

And yet it is my second favorite Mega Man game, right after Mega Man 2. The fact that you also have to kill MM2 bosses again makes it even better, since MM2 robot masters are my favorite cast of robot enemies.

Ringman

Banned
It's really a bummer that I have to use an xinput controller for the PC version. This would be perfect for the Dualshock 4's D-Pad, but I keep accidentally sliding with the xbox thumbstick.

The only version that was translated into English (officially) is the GBA version. If you end up getting a WiiU you'll probably want the virtual console version since the GBA version is very difficult version to play. There's no dash button so you have to double tap forward to dash, and the screen is so small that you'll jump into pits more often than you want to. The virtual console savestates help with the frustration. The GBA music is arguably better than the SNES version's, oddly enough.

If you have a GBA or a DS, used GBA copies are relatively inexpensive.

danielcw

If you have a GBA or a DS, used GBA copies are relatively inexpensive.

I feared that. I do a lot of my gaming with the GBA slot on my DS, so a cheap GBA cart would have been my best option.

Maybe I will get a SNES cart and then use an emulator.

Now I am off to playing WilyWars :)

SCReuter

Rey Jimenez said:
Fixes are forthcoming!

Hi all,

First off, I would like to apologize on behalf of Capcom and Digital Eclipse on the issues that some of you are having with Mega Man Legacy Collection. Both Capcom and Digital Eclipse have been watching the forums and are aware of the issues that are going on. We are currently collating data and in the process of coming up with fixes. The team at Digital Eclipse are extremely hard working, but they are a small indie team and it will take a while for fixes to be made and sent through QA.

So, please bear with us. I hope some of the work arounds your fellow Steam users have found can help for now, but we strive to have these fixed naturally. Please check in on this thread from time to time as I’ll use it to update you on our timeline and what fixes are going up.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/363440/discussions/0/520518053436097623/
Frank Cifaldi said:
Hey, MMLC players: We're monitoring threads and are aware of issues. As Capcom says, fixes are coming. I can't get more specific than that.

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/637390165539819520

Frank Cifaldi said:
@Omaewamo there are two separate audio issues, the crackly distortion is mostly exclusive to ps4. we suspect the popping is related too.

@Omaewamo the incorrect notes are exclusive to xbox one and pc, and we have a fix already

@Omaewamo yep, that specific issue has to do with the particular way ps4 handles audio vs. microsoft.

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/637325186677669888

Mega Man 5 was my favorite Classic series game growing up, and it still is now. That game pushed the NES to its absolute audiovisual limits; no other NES game looks or sounds nearly as good. Not even close.

Plus it had awesome stages and Robot Masters like Gravity Man, Wave Man, Napalm Man, and Charge Man. The only things wrong with it are that the special weapons mostly suck and the Super Mega Buster - badass as it is - makes the game way too easy.

...It's still the best, though.

5 > 3 > 7 > 6 > 10 > 9 > 2 > 1 > 8 > 4 > MM&B

Tizoc

Steam cards are either used to be sold on the steam community market to get back some credit. You can then use this credit when you want to buy a game etc.

Otherwise the cards can be used to craft a badge, the purpose of which is to increase you steam community level and get a random discount coupon for a random game.
Also a background image.

I hate the slowdown in these games. I understand the nostalgia of it but I really wish there was a switch for it

Agreed, at the end of the day they are an on and off option, if the speedrunners want to play it with that slowdown that's fine but not everyone actually likes to play games where there's unneeded slogging.

Mega Man 5 was my favorite Classic series game growing up, and it still is now. That game pushed the NES to its absolute audiovisual limits; no other NES game looks or sounds nearly as good. Not even close.

Plus it had awesome stages and Robot Masters like Gravity Man, Wave Man, Napalm Man, and Charge Man. The only things wrong with it are that the special weapons mostly suck and the Super Mega Buster - badass as it is - makes the game way too easy.

Ahhhhh yes, someone who loves Mega Man 5 as much as I do! It's a really fantastic entry for sure.

Have they acknowledged the audio issues with this collection? Are they going to fix them (specifically for the PS4 version)?

I've been deliberating purchasing this for the past few days and I think my decision hinges on this.

Edit: Lol nevermind, just read SCReuter's post. Hopefully they are prompt with a fix.

Cool, DE is working on fixing the audio issues. All versions have light "popping" sounds on certain tracks, so hopefully that's a priority. It's most noticeable on the Get Weapon track from Mega Man 2.

If anyone from DE is reading this, other than the audio problems, this collection is awesome. Great work. : )

BONKERS

GBA on a DSphat IMO. The motion blur of the AGS-101 can be a bit of an eyesore for this game. IIRC The DSL's motion quality is only slightly worse than the DSPhat (But better than the 101) so that's game too. The Phat's buttons and D-pad are so perfect for this game though

I actually prefer the GBA soundtrack for most of the songs as well.
If you dont' care about the translation and can stomach paying more than it should cost, importing the SFC version is great too.
Either way is great, the lack of a dash button isn't a problem and the lower resolution is a minor issue.

Don't buy a Retron5.

Far and away the worst games in the classic series. I'm sorry.

Haha, I can't say it's unexpected to hear this. But I have to disagree, especially MM&B, that game is hard as balls but fairly so. The sprite work that is new and isn't recycled from MM8 is incredible as well.

I'm also alone probably that I think the sprite work in MM7,8 , MM&B is more preferable than the NES games. And I wish they made more games like that.
It was the pinnacle to me.

onionfrog

Mega Man 1, 2 and 3 down so far.

This collection is fantastic aside from the crackling audio problems in 1 & 2. (Steam version)

I hope it this does well so we can get a Mega Man X collection later down the line.

I love Mega Man 4. Hate is ridiculous.

It's probably my second to least favorite entry (Mega Man 1 being the lowest on my list), but it's still a great game and full of memorable stages. I do agree with many though that the mega buster was an unnecessary addition to the series.

Ahhhhh yes, someone who loves Mega Man 5 as much as I do! It's a really fantastic entry for sure.

Count me in on the Mega Man 5 fanclub. For me it's the most tightly designed, most fun to play, and best polished Mega Man. Best music in the series too (I always thought MM2's OST was a little overrated. I still like it though) The problem is that it's too easy :/

Mega Man 6 continues the polish and high quality, but it deviated from 5 in many ways that I didn't end up liking as much personally. I think a big part of it was the soundtrack. I do like the MM6 soundtrack for what it is, but's far more slower paced and a little more serious in tone than the usual Mega Man soundtrack.

Top Bottom