• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legacy Collection |OT| One "Mighty" Collection

I was dying laughing last night, I sucl now so bad. I played this when it first came out, now as a 32 yr old man, I couldn't get passed the first area of cutman, the flying guys kept destroying me. I thought it was hysterical.

How much concept art?

Yeah like PK Strawstorm said, I looked at the MM1 gallery and saw concept art for every robot master (and some early sketches of their designs), enemy, a bunch of MM illustrations (of him using all the different powers), early sketches of Dr. Light and Dr. Wily, some environment concepts (a generic one, Bomb Man's Stage, Ice Man's Stage, Wily's Fortress), and a couple of unused enemies.

If we compare it to this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1897376790/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Go to "look inside" to preview the first few pages to see the art of MM1 in that book, and it's missing a ton of what I mentioned. I don't know if the art found in the galleries in this Collection are found elsewhere (they probably are), but from my limited viewing experience it seems to be pretty thorough.

Tain

Also feel there is very noticeable input lag, at least on MM1, which is all I have played so far.

Is this is accounting for MM1's already-delayed movement compared to the rest of the games in the series?

And what version are you playing?

dlauv

For those experiencing input lag:

v-sync adds some, as well as many tvs and monitors.
triple buffering adds some to, for those running in "Window Full": borderless windowed mode.

I don't know if the console versions are v-synced, but even on fullscreen I don't get any screen tearing on PC.

Godcannon

Megaman 1 is unplayable because of the input lag. I can't even pass the first screen of the electman level.

Lol dude I watched my friend get stuck there for like 15 mins. I ended up beating the level, but that's because I am a little more fresh from playing the PS2 collection.

The joystick feels a lot better in MM1 but I definitely keep attempting to use the D-pad from muscle memory.

Currently on Wily 1.

goldenpp72

Agreed. People complaining about lag, particularly on Guts Man's stage, probably just aren't aware of the fact that those moving platforms have always been difficult to time correctly. I've finished these games dozens of times and I still die on them occasionally.

If there's any lag at all in this collection, it's incredibly minor. I've finished the first three games now with zero issues.

Also, those complaining about slowdown either never played the NES games before or have simply forgotten what they were like. It was well known this collection would be keeping all slowdown in.

Also, it sounds like the PS4 game is the worst version at the moment. The sound issues and other glitches I've read about in this thread are simply not present in the XB1 version (although there are other minor audio issues that are present in all versions). I believe most reviewers received XB1 copies, so I'm not surprised.

No, I own the games on 3ds, I own every physical release of every MM title released in the US and have beaten most of them on native hardware, there is definitely some lag to the point where I miss jumps I'd never miss in both MM1 and 2, I haven't played 3 and beyond yet, I beat the games but there is definitely lag. It's not my display either, as I purchased the TV I own explicitly for the purpose of having low input lag. When I booted up the game and started playing, the first thing i went to check is to ensure game mode was still on. Xbox One version here, anyone who says there is no lag simply can't tell, it's there. Much like people who say there isn't a framerate problem or screen tearing in a game, just because they don't notice it doesn't mean it's not there.

Watching Mike Matei from James & Mike playthroughs play MM1 on Steam in his stream he couldn't get the pause trick working with the Yellow Devil. For what it's worth, he was using an X360 controller.

Does this pause trick work in the Legacy Collection at all? Because if it doesn't I'm not even trying MM1's bullshit Yellow Devil boss.

Ishida

Banned
Watching Mike Matei from James & Mike playthroughs play MM1 on Steam in his stream he couldn't get the pause trick working with the Yellow Devil. For what it's worth, he was using an X360 controller.

Does this pause trick work in the Legacy Collection at all? Because if it doesn't I'm not even trying MM1's bullshit Yellow Devil boss.

Mike used the pause trick on pretty much all bosses on Wily's Fortress, including both Wily Machines. Yeah, it works.

No, I own the games on 3ds, I own every physical release of every MM title released in the US and have beaten most of them on native hardware, there is definitely some lag to the point where I miss jumps I'd never miss in both MM1 and 2, I haven't played 3 and beyond yet, I beat the games but there is definitely lag. It's not my display either, as I purchased the TV I own explicitly for the purpose of having low input lag. When I booted up the game and started playing, the first thing i went to check is to ensure game mode was still on. Xbox One version here, anyone who says there is no lag simply can't tell, it's there. Much like people who say there isn't a framerate problem or screen tearing in a game, just because they don't notice it doesn't mean it's not there.

lol sorry you're having issues but there is absolutely no noticeable lag in my version of the game (XB1). You can claim I "can't tell", but I own five different versions of most of these games and have finished them dozens of times each. Maybe my Panasonic plasma is magical?

lol sorry you're having issues but there is absolutely no noticeable lag in my version of the game (XB1). You can claim I "can't tell", but I own five different versions of most of these games and have finished them dozens of times each. Maybe my Panasonic plasma is magical?

I think you're both right. Different TVs have different amount of lag. A game like MM really just makes that lag more noticeable in a way that other game don't.

I think you're both right. Different TVs have different amount of lag. A game like MM really just makes that lag more noticeable in a way that other game don't.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. I've been playing MM since 2 was released on the NES, I've played every port of the series that exists and I'm not getting any lag what so ever on these games, while I can easily notice the minor input lag on say MM9-10 running on my Xbox 360/PS3...

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. I've been playing MM since 2 was released on the NES, I've played every port of the series that exists and I'm not getting any lag what so ever on these games, while I can easily notice the minor input lag on say MM9-10 running on my Xbox 360/PS3...

Yeah, I'm sure some people will experience input lag based on their television. I definitely notice lag playing certain retro games on my TV (like Punch-Out!! on Wii U Virtual Console, for example).

My point was just because some of us aren't experiencing input lag, it's not because we "can't tell". That's condescending.

goldenpp72

Yeah, I'm sure some people will experience input lag based on their television. I definitely notice lag playing certain retro games on my TV (like Punch-Out!! on Wii U Virtual Console, for example).

My point was just because some of us aren't experiencing input lag, it's not because we "can't tell". That's condescending.

It would absolutely make no sense for one person to notice lag while another doesn't unless there is a variance in the television. I have a Sony tv that was rated best in it's class for input lag and I purchased it for Smash bros specifically. It has more delay than running native hardware through my framemeister in the basement or on my 3ds.

It's not a HUGE or long delay, but it's enough to make pixel precision something I have to estimate.

It would absolutely make no sense for one person to notice lag while another doesn't unless there is a variance in the television. I have a Sony tv that was rated best in it's class for input lag and I purchased it for Smash bros specifically. It has more delay than running native hardware through my framemeister in the basement or on my 3ds.

It's not a HUGE or long delay, but it's enough to make pixel precision something I have to estimate.

Again, sorry you're having issues with your television.

There is no noticeable input lag for this collection for me on my TV.

Ryck

Also not experiencing any lag, using a Vizio LED with a "game mode" option, dunno if that is relevant..

Loving this collection so far, save states, video options, challenges, NO border option :D! Great job by DE.

Speaking of input lag, I was replaying some Mega Man 9 on my ps3, and god, the input lag in that game is horrendous. I used to think it was just the analog buttons on the PS3 controller making it feel like shit, but I tried it out with a wired fight pad and it felt just as sluggish.

Booted it up on my Wii on the same TV (another 600B here, very low input lag in game mode), and it immediately confirmed for me how bad the input lag is on the ps3 version in comparison. Searching the internet, I haven't seen anyone mention this about the PS3 version of MM9.

Anyone else noticed this?
I never noticed any there either and I spent many many hours on MM9. I love that game. I did prefer the Wii version for some reason tho. I will have to play both of them simultaneously to do a proper test.

leroidys

Speaking of input lag, I was replaying some Mega Man 9 on my ps3, and god, the input lag in that version is horrendous. I used to think it was just the analog buttons on the PS3 controller making it feel like shit, but I tried it out with a wired fight pad and it felt just as sluggish.

Booted it up on my Wii on the same TV (another W600B here, very low input lag in game mode), and it immediately confirmed for me how bad the input lag is on the ps3 version in comparison. Searching the internet, I haven't seen anyone mention this about the PS3 version of MM9.

Speaking of input lag, I was replaying some Mega Man 9 on my ps3, and god, the input lag in that version is horrendous. I used to think it was just the analog buttons on the PS3 controller making it feel like shit, but I tried it out with a wired fight pad and it felt just as sluggish.

Booted it up on my Wii on the same TV (another W600B here, very low input lag in game mode), and it immediately confirmed for me how bad the input lag is on the ps3 version in comparison. Searching the internet, I haven't seen anyone mention this about the PS3 version of MM9.

I believe there was input lag on the 360 version as well. It's been a loooong time since I've played it on that system though, so I'm honestly not 100% sure. I usually play MM9 and 10 on Wii, where they feel perfect.

I bought the pack of Megaman 9&10 for PS3, but I've yet to play 9, as I used to own it on Wii (but I sold my Wii before I bought the pack).

I do remember Mega Man 10 playing really nice on my plasma though.

Anyone want to see some awful gameplay?
http://youtu.be/sZ2UUnIQw3I

Mega Man 1 is just really hard to enjoy. Can't compare to people who have been playing it longer than I've been alive. Can I at least expect to get anything out of it?

Unfortunately you fell foul of the really annoying glitch with the moving platforms. I still can't stand those things to this day, they only appear at one other point in the game and they are just as annoying then as well. My advise, is to go after Guts Man instead (if you've not done so already) and get his weapon. Then go to Elec Man's stage and get the M platform that is placed behind a brick that needs Guts Man's weapon to lift. You'll then have a weapon that lets you create platforms (hold down the fire button for longer platforms) so you can just create platforms instead of using those blasted moving platforms.

I still enjoy the game quite a bit, but I've been playing it for so many years now. It definitely has its fair share of issues that get fixed in the next two games though...

Oh, the weird flickering beam thingy. That's what I don't have this time around. I almost forgot about it, so I should go get it to see if it makes other parts easier.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Unfortunately you fell foul of the really annoying glitch with the moving platforms. I still can't stand those things to this day, they only appear at one other point in the game and they are just as annoying then as well. My advise, is to go after Guts Man instead (if you've not done so already) and get his weapon. Then go to Elec Man's stage and get the M platform that is placed behind a brick that needs Guts Man's weapon to lift. You'll then have a weapon that lets you create platforms (hold down the fire button for longer platforms) so you can just create platforms instead of using those blasted moving platforms.

Yup, that's what I always do. Save yourself the headache and use the Magnet Beam to create platforms. They'll flicker, but don't worry, you can still step on them. Just be quick because they only last a few seconds.

Glad to hear people speaking up saying they're not feeling the lag -- especially those who have long experience with many other versions and ports of the games. I feel confident that I can pick this up if I feel like it (on PS4).

So wait, this is basically the equivalent of Taxman's Sonic CD port? And they didn't include 16:9 aspect ratio?

wtf??

You've played these games before, right? The way they're programmed doesn't lend itself to reconfiguring the screen size. Enemy behavior and spawn (and respawn) points are often triggered by being just on/off screen. It would really break the game in these instances, or at the very least require significant changes to the way they work, play and feel. It's quite different than Sonic in that way.

Mega Man 1 is just really hard to enjoy. Can't compare to people who have been playing it longer than I've been alive. Can I at least expect to get anything out of it?

IMO MM1 doesn't hold up well at all.
The repetitive level-design kills it.

MM1 - Bleah
MM2 - Fantastic
MM3 - Excellent
MM4 - Decent
MM5 - Alright
MM6 - Okay

BONKERS

....except this is the best way to play these games outside of using NES hardware.

Yeah no. Rockman Complete Works on a CRT in 240p > this.
There is also the Wii VC in 240p on a CRT.
Free Emulators with vastly superior CRT shaders > This (Emulators are simply software and themselves are inherently not illegal.).

At this point you'd be better off buying this collection but instead playing them on superior emulators (Which also emulate the slowdown and allow options to use sprite flickering)

I don't agree. Nintendo's NES emulation darkens everything on Wii and Wii U. All games look worse because of it. And 3DS has issues with button placement and being unable to remap them.

I own these games on Wii VC, Wii U VC, and 3DS VC...and this collection, at least on XB1, is better.

The one area it's worse, the minor sound issues, can be patched. If it's not, that will be a legitimate strike against this compilation.

Maybe in 480i but it doesn't in 240p on the Wii.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FoG71Ln4As

The Wii U is darker, but it's not impossible to simply turn the backlight up on your TV temporarily.

The sound issues are hardly minor as that is a huge part of the core experience (And is par for the course with DE), AND as posted on Page 6 the game still isn't scaling the video correctly and doesn't support resolutions beyond 1080p correctly. A huge no-no for a PC release.

I mean the one that expands the image but mostly maintains the actual aspect ratio IE there's still black bars on the left and right

That's still improperly scaling the image and will have artifacts because its' not integer scaling. (And not even the small scaled mode seems to be proper integer scaled)

The only common resolutions you can use that will get you perfect entire height fitting scaling are 1280x720p, 1280x960p, 1600x1200p, 1920x1200p, 2560x1440p and 3840x2160p.

If you have a 1080p Monitor, I would suggest running the game fit to full height at 720p and upscale it further, but who knows if the game even handles that correctly

So the game plays sound effects as audio files (And seems to take them from a public source rather than sampling it from the real thing themselves)? Does that mean the music isn't interrupted either?

True, VC games do look great at 240p on Wii. Problem is, you can't do this on Wii U, which sucks, considering all my Wii VC purchases are now on that console.

BONKERS

Could've always softmodded the wii and used a Nand backup. (If you knew about it that is)

Heck since you already own them you can just softmod the Wii and download them or play them in one of the NES emulators available that support 240p.

I can agree on the Wii U, don't the emulators on that have more input lag too though? Or is that just the SNES for whatever reason.

I don't understand why they darken it anyway

Either way, I hope they fix all of the problems with this release. If they do then it's a must buy.

Tizoc

This is what I was supposing from the start as it's the only explanation why sound is clipping. This compilation is thrash, period.

Very sad because it would have been a great opportunity in the right hands (if by chance you own Capcom Arcade Cabinet you know what I'm speaking of, pure retro-gaming nirvana).

So it's trash because of an audio issue that can be fixed and patched in this era of games having updates.
If it bothers you so much, just mute your TV or the game audio and play the stage music from Youtube or a media player.

It does beg the question of why M2 weren't given the chance to do such a compilation, are they under contract with SEGA for the time being or something?

So it's trash because of an audio issue that can be fixed and patched in this era of games having updates.
If it bothers you so much, just mute your TV or the game audio and play the stage music from Youtube or a media player.

It does beg the question of why M2 weren't given the chance to do such a compilation, are they under contract with SEGA for the time being or something?

It's thrash because 1) Input lag and 2) a software that's supposed to be (and is sold as) a faithful reproduction of another software has to emulate the original sound and not play samples which then clip because of bad mixing/normalization. It's a scam.

Tizoc

It's thrash because 1) Input lag and 2) a software that's supposed to be (and is sold as) a faithful reproduction of another software has to emulate the original sound and not play samples which then clip because of bad mixing/mormalization. It's a scam.

I hadn't noticed any input lag personally but then again I never played the OG NES games to compare, I just accustom myself to how the game reacts to my actions and go from there.

If it's a scam, that's sad to hear but not everyone may have a 3DS or Wii (U) or any of the older re-releases/releases of the games.
As is this is the closest if not best option available.

I bring to you once again that this is the era of games having patches and updates. If there are input lag issues now, they can iron them out in the coming days, likewise for audio.

The first area of Elecman's stage is annoyingly designed I do have to say, you can stun the moving enemies with a well timed shot, but for the jump you're likely gonna need to do it before walking to the very edge of the ledge.
Although TBH, I never cared for OG Megaman 1, give me Powered-up any day @_@

Top Bottom