• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legacy Collection |OT| One "Mighty" Collection

Tizoc

lolwut?? Why on earth is the pause button mapped to a shoulder button instead of, say, the touchpad button or OPTIONS on PS4 (or whatever the XB1 names their new start/select buttons)?

Why left bumper? I guess there goes my hope they'd add the option to change weapons with L1&R1 like they did to MM1-6 on the Anniversary Collection.
U can remap buttons
The nes did not have shoulder buttons like the snes did

Parsnip

So they are using the roms as asset dumps, but not actually emulating them? I'm okay with that, and it gels with what they said, as far as I can remember.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Just curious as it seems those with a less... nuanced outlook on how this collection runs are (tellingly) getting their information secondhand from a loud minority on sites like this and Reddit.

Sound and input issues are firsthand.

I'm really baffled at the input complaints. I've played these games so many times, I would easily notice any real lag. Battletoads on Rare Replay, for example, has lag I noticed immediately.

Then again, I haven't played the PC or PS4 versions of Legacy.

Chuckie

Um... you guys know you can bypass that whole part with
an item you pick up in Elecman's stage right? You can bypass nearly all of the tough platforming sections in the game with it.

MM1 is extremely short, easy, and exploitable compared to other games in the series. I beat it yesterday morning in like 40 minutes.

I TOTALLY forgot about that item :O

Tizoc

I'm really baffled at the input complaints. I've played these games so many times, I would easily notice any real lag.

Then again, I haven't played the PC or PS4 versions.
Megaman 2 ran fine for me on my laptop
Gonna get the ps4 ver later today.

Zia

Sound and input issues are firsthand.

I'm really baffled at the input complaints. I've played these games so many times, I would easily notice any real lag. Battletoads on Rare Replay, for example, has lag I noticed immediately.

Yeah, I'm hoping that's not a widespread problem (PC here) because while I'm not a speedrunner nor a big Mega Man fan, I haven't noticed any and have had little trouble grabbing gold on all of the challenges I've tried so far.

I'm on restricted net now, how's the PC version aside from the sound bug? Does the game look good on ^1080p screen? i mean the colors wont make me blind because of harshness?

It looks great, especially with the monitor filter enabled.

Agreed. I don't notice any input lag either (PC)

Mzo

Are the people making these complaints sure the input lag is limited to this game? It could easily be their setup. ALL HDTVs have input lag, but modern games outside of fighting games have so much animation and leeway that it's hard to notice until you compare it to something you already know.

Point is, I am extremely distrustful of input lag claims online, whether people say they have no input lag or that a game inherently has some outside of their setup.

I'm not noticing any lag but the slowdown is sort of unbearable in the boss fight of wily level 3 where you use crash mans weapons to take down those little glowy ball things. Often times it would screw me up trying to dodge their attacks

pislit

It looks great, especially with the monitor filter enabled.

Agreed. I don't notice any input lag either (PC)

Thanks for the info.

Wait what is this input lag? I'm getting confused. I'll just probably check some gameplay videos / reviews when I get back home. Reading this thread made me more confused. Lol.

So if I care about sound and gameplay, I'd better buy MM1-6 on Virtual Console right? Where is it better at this point,3DS or WiiU? (btw I don't care about extras or anything just "faithful" reproduction of the games for is possible and no sound glitches)

Are the people making these complaints sure the input lag is limited to this game? It could easily be their setup. ALL HDTVs have input lag, but modern games outside of fighting games have so much animation and leeway that it's hard to notice until you compare it to something you already know.

Point is, I am extremely distrustful of input lag claims online, whether people say they have no input lag or that a game inherently has some outside of their setup.

Yup, once I set my TV to "game mode" I stopped noticing any lag in any game.... well cept for MM Anniversary Collection, lol

So if I care about sound and gameplay, I'd better buy MM1-6 on Virtual Console right? Where is it better at this point,3DS or WiiU? (btw I don't care about extras or anything just "faithful" reproduction of the games for is possible and no sound glitches)

You should watch some YT gameplay videos to see if the minor sound issues bother you or not before spending $30 on the VC versions.

Of the two VC services, Wii U is probably your best bet, despite the games looking hideous due to Nintendo's emulator darkening everything. The games look great on 3DS VC, but you'll have to get used to the controls, as there's no option to remap the buttons.

Thanks for the info.

Wait what is this input lag? I'm getting confused. I'll just probably check some gameplay videos / reviews when I get back home. Reading this thread made me more confused. Lol.

Some people are noticing a delay between pressing a button and the action happening on screen. I'm on the PS4 version and personally not having any issues with that what so ever, and I've been playing these games non stop since Mega Man 2's release in the 90's. It could be down to the person's TV/monitor?

Tizoc

Some people are noticing a delay between pressing a button and the action happening on screen. I'm on the PS4 version and personally not having any issues with that what so ever, and I've been playing these games non stop since Mega Man 2's release in the 90's. It could be down to the person's TV/monitor?
Maybe it is the tv or monitor?
Ill try the ps; ver once i buy it when i get home i genrally set my hdtv to game mode which doesnt gove noticable input lag

HYDE

Banned
On the back in my play podcast, Mike Mika said Capcom very much intends to do something special for the physical release :)

I'd like to see 7 and 8 remade with 8 bit graphics, and for them to release those two along with 9 and 10 for a complete Mega Man 1 - 10 disc collection.

I'd like to see 7 and 8 remade with 8 bit graphics, and for them to release those two along with 9 and 10 for a complete Mega Man 1 - 10 disc collection.
Fan made versions of 7-8 8 bit do exist on the Internet. I've played 7 and its actually really good, excellent soundtrack and gameplay is spot on. I actually prefer it to the Snes version in some ways. Not sure if the team working on Mega Man 8(bit) ever finished it though, but it didn't seem to translate as well to 8 bit as 7 did in my opinion. That and I'm not a fan of 8's level design or music on the whole so its not one that I replay as much as the first 7 games. I'd love to see Rockman & Forte remade into 8 bit though, I love that game so much more than MM8.

Einhandr

Yeah I'm noticing a little bit of input lag but I've sort of gotten used to it. I've literally run off of ledges because of the lag on the jump input + waiting until the last possible second to jump.

Tizoc

Long as we still get the OG Megaman 7 and 8 16 bit ones that's fine.

I'm not noticing any lag but the slowdown is sort of unbearable in the boss fight of wily level 3 where you use crash mans weapons to take down those little glowy ball things. Often times it would screw me up trying to dodge their attacks

Some slowdowns were kept, but I really want them to add an option to disable slowdown.

Naked Lunch

I meant to respond to this earlier. You don't have to finish the game to practice against any of the robot masters. It's the in the Database section for each game. Find the robot master you want to fight against and you'll have a "Fight" option at the bottom of the screen (it's the A button on the XB1 version).
Thank you, I found it. So glad the boss select is in there.

I beat Megaman 1 last night. What a trip down memory lane. Im pretty sure Megaman 1 was the only one I didnt finish as a kid - Dr Wily's stage was just too much. Man game designers had it rough on the little kids of the land back then - but we finished these games straight up. For this collection I saved a billion times along the way mid level.

xlom3000

I like that the slowdown was kept, but I can see why people who aren't used to it wanting to turn it off.

That would be a lot of work just to add though as they would have to split the leaderboards as the slowdown doesn't effect the speed of the time. In fact adds another element to the speedruns, trying to minimize slowdown when possible.

As for lag, I haven't seen any on the pc version, but I've had an issue a few times where a jump button press seemed to release early. Not sure if that's user error or my xbone controller I have wired to my pc.

Also when trying to find my own scores on the leaderboard, the game throws a hissy fit and crashes

Tain

There are emulators that play back the games authentically. Perhaps even better than Digital Eclipse's emulator which is found to possess sound glitches and input lag, as evidenced by impressions in this very thread! Quite honestly I wouldn't even bat a brow if not for the marketing crap they attempted to cover this up with for no reason at all. Of course all the flickering and slowdown is preserved as it was on the NES, because it's an attempt at 1:1 emulation!

I'd be interested in seeing measurements of the input lag that people have brought up in this thread.

I mean, it's not only possible but likely that there's lag in the emulation due to the "added layer" of vsync inherent in emulation, but this is the sort of thing you want hard numbers on.

xlom3000

I'd be interested in seeing measurements of the input lag that people have brought up in this thread.

I mean, it's not only possible but likely that there's lag in the emulation due to the "added layer" of vsync inherent in emulation, but this is the sort of think you want hard numbers on.

I'm also interested in if this lag is caused by poor response times on people's TVs.

Tain

Also, I didn't realize this was ever marketed as being "not emulated", huh.

I think it's silly to passionately differentiate between "porting" and "emulating" ancient games like this, and I can even understand calling a slightly-unorthodox emulator "a new engine". Sucks for those that really didn't want this to be emulated, though, I guess?

Tain

I guess I could lag-test this sucker (PC version) versus other emulators in a gsync environment. I'm pretty busy with other stuff, so we'll see.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Also feel there is very noticeable input lag, at least on MM1, which is all I have played so far.

Sony 65X850b set here. I've kind of adapted, but I feel I need to anticipate all of my actions too early with the slight delay in jumping and shooting. Many of these games I haven't touched since the NES or Anniversary collections release, so I couldn't speak to how accurate this is based on memory, but too many mistakes and deaths are caused by this issue rather than mistimed reaction fault on my behalf.

Also really would have liked an option to remove the technical deficiencies for a clean performing rendition of these titles without the flicker, chop, and slowdown. I am aware that would go against the nature of recreating the experience of the original NES release hardware, but you know...the option would have been ideal.

Peltz

How are the extras in this release? If I have all of the carts and still play them on my CRT, is there any reason to grab this collection?

Any tips on how to defeat Air Man really quickly? Some of the challenges force you to fight him and so far I've been hammering him with leaf shield when he moves across the screen, I can't figure out how to do the fight any faster... Its a pain in the Megaman 1&2 mash up challenge as I'm fairly positive that he's slowing me down...

sörine

Banned
Sadly VC seems to be going backwards in some respects but I'd say it goes Wii > 3DS > Wii U overall for NES image quality, and the reverse for options (Wii has a suspend state, 3DS adds save state, Wii U adds full button config). Also keep in mind MM6 never made it to the original Wii VC for some reason.

Sound is perfect in every release fwiw.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Any tips on how to defeat Air Man really quickly? Some of the challenges force you to fight him and so far I've been hammering him with leaf shield when he moves across the screen, I can't figure out how to do the fight any faster... Its a pain in the Megaman 1&2 mash up challenge as I'm fairly positive that he's slowing me down...

That's about the same as I always do it. Shoot him with the Buster as much as I can until he changes sides and then kill him off with the Leaf Shield.
Remember that you can watch the replays of runs on the leaderboard.

That's about the same as I always do it. Shoot him with the Buster as much as I can until he changes sides and then kill him off with the Leaf Shield.
Remember that you can watch the replays of runs on the leaderboard.

I feel silly not knowing that you could view replays from the leaderboards! Thanks for the tip, as some of these later challenges are kicking my ass in terms of getting decent times.

Isomac

This is my normal jump about 60% of the time.
AAC1346228203768F4FD56A53898DE7321BF579E

Mega Man 1&2 I had no problems with jumping. I guess have to be extra carefully around spikes...

mugenmidget

Neo Member
This is my normal jump about 60% of the time.

Mega Man 1&2 I had no problems with jumping. I guess have to be extra carefully around spikes...
That's actually caused by holding right on the 2nd player controller in the original game (a debug cheat only present in MM3), and it works in the Legacy Collection as well. Even though you can't configure the 2nd player's controls, it still recognizes an additional controller. Do you have another gamepad plugged in or Xinput device installed, maybe? Might try unplugging it/disabling it.

Tizoc

I only played Megaman 1 and 4 but both ran fine for me and I didn't feel any input lag >_>;
PS4 ver. btw.

TimmiT

Seems like it's not quite emulation after all, though it does use ROMs:
Tinkering with Mega Man Legacy Collection's embedded ROMs. Seems like it loads graphics, level data and music from them, but not game code.
https://twitter.com/Prof9/status/636612530656382976
I threw in a simple Mega Man 2 ROM hack, and it seemed to work fine. Other hacks like MM3 Enemy Lifebar didn't work.
CNWz98GUEAAn3--.png:large
https://twitter.com/Prof9/status/636612936648261632
So far it looks like they did recompile all the game code into a new engine, but all source assets (sprite, music) are loaded from the ROM.
https://twitter.com/Prof9/status/636613847965675520
Regarding MMLC embedded ROMs, I also tried to chuck in Japanese versions and other games using the same mapper. They all crashed the game.
https://twitter.com/Prof9/status/636743839412277248

Isomac

That's actually caused by holding right on the 2nd player controller in the original game (a debug cheat only present in MM3), and it works in the Legacy Collection as well. Even though you can't configure the 2nd player's controls, it still recognizes an additional controller. Do you have another gamepad plugged in or Xinput device installed, maybe? Might try unplugging it/disabling it.

Ah, that's interesting. I only got the controller, keyboard and mouse connected to my PC.

Top Bottom