• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legacy Collection |OT| One "Mighty" Collection

I'm not sure if any of your guys are doing challenges yet, but I have to call bullshit on something I noticed.

As mentioned several times here, these games have the original slowdown from the NES versions. However, in the challenge mode, this can work against you.

For example, if you decide to run from a fleet of bots (let's say, the bees in MM3) the game will chug and run in slow motion. The problem is that the clock/timer remains at regular speed. I've had near perfect runs ruined because of the fact there were too many enemies on screen/I've haven't been blasting them fast enough.

In good news, got the gold in 28 of them so far. Feels like I'm getting back in shape...

Petrae

Decided to buy this despite my reservations about quality, and... yeah... it's got issues.

The first game I tried was Mega Man 2, and right away during the intro... problems with the sound kicked in. Air Man's stage has graphics glitches revolving around the large robot platforms. Bubble Man's stage has more sound quality woes with stutters and then there's pretty bad slowdown when the large robotic fish underwater explode. That's as far as I bothered to go tonight.

Thankfully, the play control felt responsive-- much more so than in the Anniversary Collection for the PS2. Jumping across shaky platforms was smooth and I suffered no deaths.

The sound and visual problems are disappointing, though this thread did try to warn me of these issues (and I was still dumb enough to buy it). It's still nice to have these games in one place on the PS4, and they're still very playable in spite of the glitchiness.

Decided to buy this despite my reservations about quality, and... yeah... it's got issues.

The first game I tried was Mega Man 2, and right away during the intro... problems with the sound kicked in. Air Man's stage has graphics glitches revolving around the large robot platforms. Bubble Man's stage has more sound quality woes with stutters and then there's pretty bad slowdown when the large robotic fish underwater explode. That's as far as I bothered to go tonight.

Thankfully, the play control felt responsive-- much more so than in the Anniversary Collection for the PS2. Jumping across shaky platforms was smooth and I suffered no deaths.

The sound and visual problems are disappointing, though this thread did try to warn me of these issues (and I was still dumb enough to buy it). It's still nice to have these games in one place on the PS4, and they're still very playable in spite of the glitchiness.

Thanks for your honest impressions. I've been on the fence for a bit but your post has helped me make my mind up to not buy this product.

I'm not seeing this at all (PS4 version). I played the PSOne complete works games on the PS3 which really were unplayable due to input lag. I've played Mega Man 1, 2, 3 and 6 so far along with the first 10 challenges and the controls seem perfect to me. I can pull off the pixel perfect jumps with no problems what so ever.

Agreed. People complaining about lag, particularly on Guts Man's stage, probably just aren't aware of the fact that those moving platforms have always been difficult to time correctly. I've finished these games dozens of times and I still die on them occasionally.

If there's any lag at all in this collection, it's incredibly minor. I've finished the first three games now with zero issues.

Also, those complaining about slowdown either never played the NES games before or have simply forgotten what they were like. It was well known this collection would be keeping all slowdown in.

Also, it sounds like the PS4 game is the worst version at the moment. The sound issues and other glitches I've read about in this thread are simply not present in the XB1 version (although there are other minor audio issues that are present in all versions). I believe most reviewers received XB1 copies, so I'm not surprised.

Bedlam

Aren't at least some of these glitches and slowdowns (see the marked parts) emulated?

I think I remember that stuff from the original MM2 game.

Aren't at least some of these glitches and slowdowns (see the marked parts) emulated?

I think I remember that stuff from the original MM2 game.

Yes. They're from the original games. I think a lot of these posters have either never played them, have forgotten about how they played on NES, or have only played the Anniversary Collection.

Yes. They're from the original games. I think a lot of these posters have either never played them, have forgotten about how they played on NES, or have only played the Anniversary Collection.

I'll triple that notion. A lot of the graphical glitches people are seeing here were on the NES originals.

The sound problems, on the other hand...

Frumix

Suffering From Success
....except this is the best way to play these games outside of using NES hardware.

Barring legal issues, there are better emulators out there.

I mean, yeah, it's a collection for PS4 and X1, I guess it works as such, but what's gonna get people is blatant marketing fudge surrounding this release.

Comet

Hard trying to juggle a game with a baby and grad school but I had to get into this game. So far MM2 is done (warm up), I'll probably shoot for MM1 next. Does anyone know if the pause trick will work against Wiley in MM1 or should I actually be prepared to have to try hard against him?

Barring legal issues, there are better emulators out there.

I mean, yeah, it's a collection for PS4 and X1, I guess it works as such, but what's gonna get people is blatant marketing fudge surrounding this release.

There really aren't better ways to play these games if you want to experience them authentically, outside of using an NES. The reason a lot of users are taken aback by the flickering and slowdown is likely due to many of them playing on emulators or the Anniversary Collection in the past...or simply forgetting how these games performed on NES.

Hard trying to juggle a game with a baby and grad school but I had to get into this game. So far MM2 is done (warm up), I'll probably shoot for MM1 next. Does anyone know if the pause trick will work against Wiley in MM1 or should I actually be prepared to have to try hard against him?

The pause trick works. Pause is mapped to the left bumper on XB1. I'm assuming it's the same on the Dual Shock 4.

Wii VC and Wii U VC are better. 3DS VC is probably better as well.

I don't agree. Nintendo's NES emulation darkens everything on Wii and Wii U. All games look worse because of it. And 3DS has issues with button placement and being unable to remap them.

I own these games on Wii VC, Wii U VC, and 3DS VC...and this collection, at least on XB1, is better.

The one area it's worse, the minor sound issues, can be patched. If it's not, that will be a legitimate strike against this compilation.

There really aren't better ways to play these games if you want to experience them authentically, outside of using an NES. The reason a lot of users are taken aback by the flickering and slowdown is likely due to many of them playing on emulators or the Anniversary Collection in the past...or simply forgetting how these games performed on NES.

The pause trick works. Pause is mapped to the left bumper on XB1. I'm assuming it's the same on the Dual Shock 4.
lolwut?? Why on earth is the pause button mapped to a shoulder button instead of, say, the touchpad button or OPTIONS on PS4 (or whatever the XB1 names their new start/select buttons)?

Why left bumper? I guess there goes my hope they'd add the option to change weapons with L1&R1 like they did to MM1-6 on the Anniversary Collection.

lolwut?? Why on earth is the pause button mapped to a shoulder button instead of, say, the touchpad button or OPTIONS on PS4 (or whatever the XB1 names their new start/select buttons)?

Why left bumper? I guess there goes my hope they'd add the option to change weapons with L1&R1 like they did to MM1-6 on the Anniversary Collection.

You realize I'm referring to MM1''s dedicated pause button, correct? Not the traditional pause button to bring up your weapon menu. That's obviously mapped to Options on PS4 and Menu on XB1.

They could add weapon switching using the left and right triggers if they wanted to, but they've already stated they aren't going to. Maybe that will change.

You realize I'm referring to MM1''s dedicated pause button, correct? Not the traditional pause button to bring up your weapon menu. That's obviously mapped to Options on PS4 and Menu on XB1.

They could add weapon switching using the left and right triggers if they wanted to, but they've already stated they aren't going to. Maybe that will change.
MM1 had a dedicated button for pause that wasn't the same as the one that brought up the menu with the weapon options? If so, what button was that on the NES? Select?

They could still put it to the Select button (or whatever's called on XB1 the button next to NotStart) and the touchpad button.

Any reason why they didn't went twitch these more obvious ones than the friggin' left bumper?

Not sure. Fortunately, you can remap the buttons in the options menu.

Hammering the pause button can cause one hit to register multiple hits on enemies, making some boss fights significantly easier. (I have to admit, I exploited this glitch to beat the Yellow Devil and Wiley in MM1.) This was a well-known exploit, and thus mapping pause to the left bumper makes it easier to perform.

Really!?

Man I'm saving myself for the physical version. Even with its issues this collection is a dream come true.

The fact that a physical version is coming is why I have hope they'll fix this collection's minor issues. I'm definitely picking up at least one version of the game in physical form next year.

Hammering the pause button can cause one hit to register multiple hits on enemies, making some boss fights significantly easier. (I have to admit, I exploited this glitch to beat the Yellow Devil and Wiley in MM1.) This was a well-known exploit, and thus mapping pause to the left bumper makes it easier to perform.

Didn't think of it that way. I guess it does make it easier to use by having it on the bumper.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

There are emulators that play back the games authentically. Perhaps even better than Digital Eclipse's emulator which is found to possess sound glitches and input lag, as evidenced by impressions in this very thread! Quite honestly I wouldn't even bat a brow if not for the marketing crap they attempted to cover this up with for no reason at all. Of course all the flickering and slowdown is preserved as it was on the NES, because it's an attempt at 1:1 emulation!

Injecting hacks works. http://abload.de/img/digitaleclipsearefuckplpkj.jpg

Utilizing it with the remix works about as well as you'd expect from loading a save state from a different ROM. http://abload.de/img/digitaleclipsearefuck2yptf.jpg

In action: http://webm.host/8d5a6/vid.webm

Some in-depth findings can be found at this subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Megaman/comments/3igzxk/mega_man_legacy_collection_is_a_fancy_emulator/

EDIT: Okay, so it seems there's a bit more going on than all this information would suggest.

https://twitter.com/Prof9

MMLC contains the entire ROM files for Mega Man 1-6. They've been edited by hand to remove the Licensed by Nintendo.
Tinkering with Mega Man Legacy Collection's embedded ROMs. Seems like it loads graphics, level data and music from them, but not game code.
I threw in a simple Mega Man 2 ROM hack, and it seemed to work fine. Other hacks like MM3 Enemy Lifebar didn't work.
So far it looks like they did recompile all the game code into a new engine, but all source assets (sprite, music) are loaded from the ROM.
Regarding MMLC embedded ROMs, I also tried to chuck in Japanese versions and other games using the same mapper. They all crashed the game.

Seems like it's partially true.
The bottom line is pretty sad though.

I guess now you can just pull the ROMs out of the game files you legally purchased and run them in an actual emulator with better filters.

KingBroly

Banned
There are emulators that play back the games authentically. Perhaps even better than Digital Eclipse's emulator which is found to possess sound glitches and input lag, as evidenced by impressions the very thread! Quite honestly I wouldn't even bat a brow if not for the marketing crap they attempted to cover this up with marketing nonsense for no reason at all. Of course all the flickering and slowdown is preserved as it was on the NES, because it's an attempt at 1:1 emulation!

Well their marketing was basically 'we're not the same company, we're better now' while hyping themselves up to no end.

EDIT:
^^^
OH wow...they're going to get in trouble for that.

I'll agree that the way they marketed this was a bit over the top.

Edit - Ok, that stuff Frumix posted kind of bothers me. They were definitely being dishonest.

me0wish

Is it confirmed that this is emulation? I feel stupid for believing them saying its a port and they want to "preserve" the experience that's why they didn't add anything. Should of sticked to my GC collection.

Is it confirmed that this is emulation? I feel stupid for believing them saying its a port and they want to "preserve" the experience that's why they didn't add anything. Should of sticked to my GC collection.

nooooooo!!!

This is FAR BETTER than that compilation! It's DEFINITELY better than the GCN version, which was the worst of the three SKUs!

Warxard

Banned
Playing on X1 considering the PC version is fucked. Have experienced little issues outside of the sound crackling.

Shame about the PS4 version, but this collection is pretty good. Very very impressed.

Ludens

Banned
mhAum6L.jpg

Someone can help me? I need to pass this screen, I saw on Youtube people shooting the enemy up their heads, but I can't do that.

KingBroly

Banned
There are emulators that play back the games authentically. Perhaps even better than Digital Eclipse's emulator which is found to possess sound glitches and input lag, as evidenced by impressions in this very thread! Quite honestly I wouldn't even bat a brow if not for the marketing crap they attempted to cover this up with for no reason at all. Of course all the flickering and slowdown is preserved as it was on the NES, because it's an attempt at 1:1 emulation!

So everything you read in the OP post about how it's a "criterion collection" of gaming rebuilt with "eclipse engine" is kind of a lie?. It's an emulator, and not a very good one.

Some in-depth findings can be found at this subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Megaman/comments/3igzxk/mega_man_legacy_collection_is_a_fancy_emulator/

EDIT: Okay, so it seems there's a bit more going on than all this information would suggest.

https://twitter.com/Prof9

Seems like it's partially true.
The bottom line is pretty sad though.

Deplorable. Absolutely, 100% deplorable.

Ludens

Banned
Use the Shadow Blade and press up on the controller while shooting.

I'm have this strange problem in Megaman 3 too: I can't easily change transformation. Every time I took ten minutes to select the right power up, because I press a button but I can't properly select an option. I don't know why this happens, I completed Megaman 1 and 2 with no problems, here changing form is a nightmare :l

Peltz

Just bought this yesterday and this brings me back to my childhood *dem feels*

I only played MM1 for a while and it was nostalgia overload. And of course frustration overload. That fucking Iceman level. Shooting platforms + bullet penguins =/= fun.

Um... you guys know you can bypass that whole part with
an item you pick up in Elecman's stage right? You can bypass nearly all of the tough platforming sections in the game with it.

MM1 is extremely short, easy, and exploitable compared to other games in the series. I beat it yesterday morning in like 40 minutes.

I don't agree. Nintendo's NES emulation darkens everything on Wii and Wii U. All games look worse because of it. And 3DS has issues with button placement and being unable to remap them.

I own these games on Wii VC, Wii U VC, and 3DS VC...and this collection, at least on XB1, is better.

The one area it's worse, the minor sound issues, can be patched. If it's not, that will be a legitimate strike against this compilation.

I agree with this post. NES games are so so dim on the Wii U VC, and I refuse to buy NES games on 3DS anymore due to button issues (I begged for button mapping in every Nintendo Club survey I ever did).

Really I'm just happy to have bright colors at this point.

pislit

I'm on restricted net now, how's the PC version aside from the sound bug? Does the game look good on ^1080p screen? i mean the colors wont make me blind because of harshness?

Zia

Well, it depends if you can get it to run or not.

Here's a question: have either of you played this collection?

AEREC

Playing this really makes me want a 8-bit remake of these games, without the slowdowns and the graphical glitchiness, not sure why that stuff needs to be recreated.

Playing this really makes me want a 8-bit remake of these games, without the slowdowns and the graphical glitchiness, not sure why that stuff needs to be recreated.

I agree it would have been cool to have a "cleaned up" version as an option. I'm personally ok playing them with the slowdown and flickering though.

Top Bottom