• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Powered-up was released 10 years ago

Tizoc

poweredup-jp.jpg

I confess I hated this game's chibi look when it was released, and now I regret ever doing so :(

On it's own I felt it was a really good game with some nice ideas and various ways of playing through it. Heck it had a friggin' level editor and I think some DLC?

Currently it is available digitally on JP PSN, but I hope Capcom consider releasing this on US PSN down the line, especially that now BoF3 PSP is up, it is only a matter of time and patience and more of their PSP and PSOne titles go up.

As an added bonus have the Robot Masters drawn in the Powered-up style-
Artist goes by Kin Niku said:

Also Oilman is best Ninja.

kuYuri

The craziest thing is that people are still creating levels for it with the level editor.

Such an amazing remake of MM! It was one of my first PSP games. Wish it sold better.

TreIII

Damn, already?

Anyway, I actually replayed this game recently, after trying out a demo version of MN9 to compare. I actually found myself amused that I felt like MMPU basically did these same ideas ten years earlier and in a manner that I considered much tighter overall.

Too bad this and MHX were released in the "pre-MonHun Portable" era of the PSP's life.

Oh god now remakes of games that make me feel old are making me feel old...aauuugh.

I liked Maverick Hunter X more than Powered Ip but eh.

I don't get why Sony doesn't make all the PSP games PS4 compatible and setup some kind of Virtual Console experience. There are so many games I would have loved to have played, but when the PSP came out I was a lot younger and could only afford a DS.

When it comes to the main game I never beat the Yellow Devil here.

But that doesn't matter because the real meat of this game was that level editor and playing as robot masters, sooo good.
A true travesty that MM2 and 3 never got this treatment.

Tizoc

Oh god now remakes of games that make me feel old are making me feel old...aauuugh.

I liked Maverick Hunter X more than Powered Ip but eh.

MHX is THE most played game on my Vita. I am not kidding.
My brother replays that game every time he borrows my Vita XP

Great level editor that felt so easy to use. I wish that MM Universe game came out, but at least we still have this. Dunno if I like the physics as much as the NES release but the added features (Level editor, new robot masters, the insane amount of extra challenges) make up for that.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
This and Maverick Hunter X back to back were amazing. Capcom's output in the '00s was something else.

Azure J

When it comes to the main game I never beat the Yellow Devil here.

But that doesn't matter because the real meat of this game was that level editor and playing as robot masters, sooo good.
A true travesty that MM2 and 3 never got this treatment.

Just like how much of a travesty X2 - 6 never got the Maverick Hunter X treatment despite plans for it.

I would have loved to see how they'd work with the seperate story beats of X4 or make X6 unjank for such a release too... Never mind all the potential Mark Gatha VA and OVAs for each "episode".

This game made me want a PSP back when it first came out. Never ended up getting one, I should maybe see if I can find one for cheap just to play this game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Both this and Maverick Hunter X were fantastic. I thought it was a sign of things to come on the PSP, but... yeah, it definitely wasn't.

I actually think I enjoy Powered Up a lot more than the original. Probably doesn't hurt that there's so much extra content in there, too.

I didn't get this game until a few years after its release, but I really loved what I played. Level editing made me sink tons of hours into this game. It's a shame that there won't be a sequel/spiritual successor to take its place today.

Both this and Maverick Hunter X were highlights of my PSP days. Powered Up had to have been the better package, and I still don't know what people have against MHX.

The style was adorable, the music was fantastic, and the replayability was through the roof. They did a bang-up job here and I wish we saw more of it.

bumpkin

It's a sin that we never got Megaman Powered-up 2 and 3.
Amen!

It sucks that there was all sorts of BS surrounding why it hasn't been released digitally for download on the Vita. Capcom can make huge AAA blockbusters and yet they can't figure out how to get a lowly PSP game working?

Link_enfant

Also have this awesome game on UMD. Was a way better remake than Maverick Hunter X imo (although I also enjoyed it).
I'm still wishing for Powered Up 2, and won't ever stop wishing for the awesome game it could be.
Yeah, I love our blue bomber that much.

Ridley327

It's a shame that that there was an audience mismatch for these games. They didn't deserve the crap sales and indifference they received at the time of their release.

Intel_89

I hated it, something about the gameplay and the 3D graphics rubbed me the wrong way. I'm sure it's a good game but I wasn't able to enjoy it.

RedToad64

I don't get why Sony doesn't make all the PSP games PS4 compatible and setup some kind of Virtual Console experience. There are so many games I would have loved to have played, but when the PSP came out I was a lot younger and could only afford a DS.
Get a PSTV. It's fantastic for PSP games.

...except Mega Man Powered Up is not available to download. Not fantastic.

Xav

Hey Capcom, you love to re-release games right? What are you waiting for?

84neWI0.jpg

LmQ929s.jpg

7RhgOdE.jpg

Get these on XBLA, PSN & eShop.

Love every second of it, the game was really packed with content and they did a pretty good job post launch with extra levels and the Roll costumes. One of my favorite things was the little chat before fighting every robot master, so much personality.

Really a shame this and the X remake failed on sales because Inafune wanted to go all the way with this remakes.

I'm a fan of the NES Mega Mans so I picked this up when it released. I don't really care for it. I didn't like the art or having to play it on a PSP which I found uncomfortable.

EDIT - I have Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins on PSTV and it's still great.

I don't get why Sony doesn't make all the PSP games PS4 compatible and setup some kind of Virtual Console experience.

It would be cool but the licensing involved makes it all a huge pain that may not be worth it monetarily if they don't think they'd sell enough of them. Probably the same reasons we don't have PS1 compatibility and the PS2 remasters and X360 BC are coming at a snail's pace.

CamHostage

It's a sin that we never got Megaman Powered-up 2 and 3.

Absolutely. Too bad, a whole Mega Man collection with a Powered-Up style would have been mindblowing, and the Level Editor would have been valuable if it had evolved with more Mega Man sequel components and maybe integrated online trading. (It would have made for a killer console download app too if PSP was no longer an option... Mega Man Universe I guess was going to be that, but its art style was thoroughly unappealing and the play seemed a little slippery in the trailers.) Quite a lost opportunity.

Konami's Castlevania X remake was also spectacular, IMO. In a better world, enhanced 3D remakes of 2D games (especially remakes with the originals also on the disc) would have been a staple of the PSP's library and/or cemented an approach to selling classics on a variety of platforms (Bionic Commando Rearmed, Prince of Persia Classic, and in its own way DuckTales Remastered also had less impact and long-tail inspiration than I would have hoped.) Particularly with something like a Level Editor, there's potential to go beyond just remaking the original for those on the fence about buying "old games".

It was fun to play through Maverick Hunter X once but I didn't care for the changes much.

Megaman Powered Up on the other hand I thought was pretty great.

Powered Up still stands as my other favourite remake (the other being Resident Evil REmake for the Gamecube).

I loved the two new characters, brand new level design, multiple routes through levels, multiple playable characters, challenge mode, level maker... Its so sad that the series never got a sequel, as Mega Man 2 done in the same style would have blown my mind. I'd have also loved to see 3 get a remake only because Inafune always said how rushed that game was, so Powered Up 3 would have been the chance to right that wrong.

Top Bottom