• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Universe canned

leroidys

Damn I almost posted a progress report thread on this YESTERDAY. They had said that they were retooling it and delaying last month, so it got my hopes up slightly. It didn't look that good, but its better than no mega man, and its not like it would ruin the series if there was just one more shitty game (there are already several).

Concept looked cool, and it was remaking Mega man 2. bah.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
This is a good thing. I'd rather see Mega Man buried for a while than witnessing its descent to mediocrity and irrelevance.

But we're never getting a completely new 2D Mega Man, are we? :/

It's so weird seeing 2D Mario getting revived while the next two most iconic platforming games of the NES era (Castlevania and Mega Man) are left in quasi-limbo.

Creepy; I was just looking it up a few hours before this announcement because I was wondering what had happened to it. While I can't really say anything positive about it, I think I'd of preferred it getting delayed and reworked than completely canned. When was it originally due to come out on XBLA and PSN?

Whoops, didn't notice it said it flat out in the OP. Still, have to wonder what the hell was up with stuff like our 'Mega Man' and Japan's 'Rockman' apparently having different designs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Kilrogg said:
This is a good thing. I'd rather see Mega Man buried for a while than witnessing its descent to mediocrity and irrelevance.

But we're never getting a completely new 2D Mega Man, are we? :/

It's so weird seeing 2D Mario getting revived while the next two most iconic platforming games of the NES era (Castlevania and Mega Man) are left in quasi-limbo.

...They released a new 2D Megaman last year and a new (enough) 2D Castlevania a year and a half ago. Calm down.

Articalys

It really didn't seem very organized.

At the very least, the reveal trailer and thread gave us this gem, one of the greatest all-time GAF photoshops:

wzv02.jpg

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Man God said:
...They released a new 2D Megaman last year and a new (enough) 2D Castlevania a year and a half ago. Calm down.

The "new 2D Mega Man" was a retro cash-in. I mean, I liked MM9 (but didn't buy 10), but making 2 downloadable titles in the vein of the old ones with nothing significantly new (unless you count a crappy, useless item shop taken straight from one of the crappiest Mega Man games "new") can hardly be called a return to form. As for Castlevania, I assume you're talking about Order of Ecclesia, and I agree it was a good game. But since then, we got another downloadable retro game (Rebirth), a 3D game and a weird mishmash of previous titles as a downloadable game. Not only that, but it appears from what IGA (or whoever else at Konami) says that Harmony of Despair (the weird downloadable one) was pretty much the last 2D Castlevania because Konami doesn't want anything to do with 2D Castlevania any more. Whatever the state of Castlevania is right now, I smell impending death for the 2D games. I guess we'll get one 2.5 game for the 3DS if we're lucky, eh.

Is it so hard to understand what I'm advocating? Full-blown, retail console (or failing that, handheld) 2D Mega Man games that don't try and be like the old ones but try to be their successor, in the same way NSMB Wii is. I don't want games that look like Lost Levels editions or scream nostalgia. I want games that tell me "this is how awesome Mega Man is when made in the 2010s". Am I being too demanding? Am I being unrealistic? Why are people clamouring for titles nobody cares about like MM Legends or Powered Up? Is this your idea of a newfound glory for Mega Man? I think the answer is much simpler: Capcom should emulate what Nintendo has done with 2D Mario. Let's have a "New Mega Man", that would be exciting. Alas, it doesn't look like it will happen. Capcom doesn't seem interested in trying that.

Cmagus

dunno why they didn't just do it 8 or 16 bit style. Probably could of cut the team back, reused a ton of sprites and the fans would have just been happy with it.I wouldn't be surprised if some of it was because of Inafune but the game was also hated on quite abit for its style because well kind of looked bad. Seriously though like 8 bit with a map editor and hell why not do something like Wario Ware DIY editor and allow people to make their own characters with simple animations and simple logic that would have been amazing.

Megaman legends 3 is doing it right by asking fans what they want fuck half these new games like the sonic games should be doing this.

Kilrogg said:
Am I being unrealistic? Why are people clamouring for titles nobody cares about like MM Legends or Powered Up? Is this your idea of a newfound glory for Mega Man? I think the answer is much simpler: Capcom should emulate what Nintendo has done with 2D Mario. Let's have a "New Mega Man", that would be exciting. Alas, it doesn't look like it will happen. Capcom doesn't seem interested in trying that.

FOOL.

What Sequels Does Japan Want?

Game magazine Famitsu polled its readers about which franchise sequel they crave the most.

Here's the raw data:

(Oh, and do please tell us which sequel you would like!)

1. Sakura Taisen (aka Sakura Wars) 267 votes
2. Shenmue 249 votes
3. Okami 204 votes
4. Gotchaforce 189 votes
5. Xenogears 185 votes
6. Breath of Fire 180 votes
7. Rockman Dash (aka Mega Man Legends) 176 votes
8. Ogre Battle 174 votes
9. Chikyuu Boueigun (aka Earth Defence Force) 162 votes
10. Kowloon's Gate 151 votes

Seth Killian said:
After Marvel vs Capcom 2, MM Legends is probably one of our most fan-requested games. MM creator Keiji Inafune is certainly aware of the fans' request—his office is basically a shrine to the stuff he’s gotten from fans over the years.

Shut yo mouth.

[Nintex]

Trevelyon said:
First Gun Loco and now this! Serious props to the sane folks who are cancelling this stuff.
Just another one for the list, Gun Loco, Gears of War: Exile, Disney Kinect, Megaman Universe, Hudson, Kinect Fit, My Garden(Gardens), Crash Bandicoot 2010, Milo & Kate, PGR5(rumored to have been Slightly Mad Studios' next project), True Crime: Hong Kong, Guitar Hero etc. anyone want to guess what's next?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
SwiftSketcher said:

Are you using a Famitsu poll to gauge the demand for a game? My point of view isn't that of the "fan" who requests a sequel to a relatively obscure spin-off series. In fact, I'm almost never paying attention to the fans, even when it comes to games I myself am a fan of, haha. I mean, I'm sure I'd enjoy a good sequel to Kirby's Pinball Land, because God knows I loved the original on the Game Boy, but you'll never hear me say "Nintendo should make a sequel".

For those things, I tend to look at it in a more objective fashion: which games represent the pinnacle of the series' popularity? Mega Man isn't even a controversial case to begin with. Mega Man 2 and 3 are the best-selling games and are widely regarded as the best games by critics and fans. The original Mega Man series is still viewed as the golden age of the series (followed by the X series I guess?). So it only makes sense that, just as 2D Mario is the most popular Mario series (followed by Mario Kart, then 3D Mario), what Capcom should do is take a good, hard look at what made the original games so popular, see what they could improve upon and add to the formula, and make "Mega Man 201X" or "New Mega Man" or whatever. And they should go at it with ambition and no nostalgia goggles. This means retail as opposed to downloadable, and no retro elements just for the sake of it. Give the series the royal treatment, not the "well, I guess we can make a $10 game for cheap with 8-bit graphics, dump it on every downloadable platform and get the diehard fans' money" approach. No, just no, try and make the series as popular as it was back in the days. Make a gamble, take a risk. 2D games can sell if you do it right and are ambitious.

But again, I'm just being cranky, because obviously this will never happen. Capcom is more content with a sequel to a spin-off nobody cares about outside of a vocal part of the fanbase. I'm no business man, but sure, Capcom, you're the game geniuses, I'm not.

onken

This was that weird hybrid MMO thing with loads of different Capcom characters right? Looked kinda interesting, would definitely have looked in to it. Boo, I say.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Glad to see they aborted it now, rather than let it be born into an uncaring world that would have shunned it as the ugly bastard it was.

At first glance when I read this I thought it was Megaman Legends.

Which made me sad, then happy when I realised it wasn't, then sad again remembering the game hasn't even been green lit yet!

BUT THEN I REMEMBERED XENOBLADE IS COMING SO :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Teknoman said:
Even as a Megaman fan, the game didnt sound that great. Do a Megaman Powered Up 2 on 3DS or something.

OH GOD PLEASE YES

Powered UP is one of my all time favorites and deserves sooooo much more respect

Can't say I'm sad to hear this news. It just came off as a mess....

NOOOOOOOOOOO

That sounds awesome. Mega Man has by far the tightest and best platformer controls of any game in that genre. So LBP style Mega Man where people get to make their own levels sounds AMAZING.

That's the one thing that bugs me about LBP, the loose floaty controls.

V_Ben

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Just another one for the list, Gun Loco, Gears of War: Exile, Disney Kinect, Megaman Universe, Hudson, Kinect Fit, My Garden(Gardens), Crash Bandicoot 2010, Milo & Kate, PGR5(rumored to have been Slightly Mad Studios' next project), True Crime: Hong Kong, Guitar Hero etc. anyone want to guess what's next?

What.

WHAT.

...what :(

Please, tell me anything, although it might not be anything I don't already know from internet scouring and employee leaks.

Exile was canned too? huh. That's quite the strange little list you have there... Disney Kinect? PGR5? Mad stuff to get canned, but then we'll never know why, will we.

duckroll

Tizoc said:
I don't think so seeing how far they've gotten with the game so far.

MMU was already playable at various events, and they showed off much more of it than they have of MML3. What's your point?

eXistor

No big loss I think. The teaser was genius, but then came the actual game and it looked horrendous, no charm at all. That and I hate making levels of my own. Make MM 11 8-bit style instead!

I agree with Killrog as well: Capcom should make a real effort to make MM relevant again. Mega Man 2 was as big as, say Uncharted 2 back in the day. I don't expect Mega Man to ever reach its old heights again, but at least give it a go. Look at NSMB, Mega Man could do the same approach. As long as its true to its roots, they could easily make something great out of Mega Man again.

I'm sorry to hear this. Regardless of what everybody thought I really liked the premise and all the game's possibilities to be great. But shit happens I guess.

However, this game's cancellation doesn't mean anything. Legends 3 will drop because Capcom understands DEM MONEYS. There's no doubt in my mind that we'll get 11 at some point but an PU2, X9 or MHX2 isn't in the cards because of DEM MONEYS and how much Capcom wouldn't make to even put a team on it.

PU1 didn't move enough product to even garner even thinking sequel even though it would probably be one of best ever in the series. IMO the X series ended at 5 and goes straight into Zero but they would have to become real creative on how to approach 9 story wise without stepping on any toes. And I would've loved to see how Infaune would've retconned X2 and 3 but we'll never see that either.

It's gonna be real interesting to see where Mega Man as a whole goes from this point forward.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if they will try to to leverage what they already made onto anther platform. Capcom is rarely a company to let code goto waste, selling engine Ports in the past (MMBN5 and AA1 were ported to the DS mostly to make use of their engines for MMSF and AA4. AA just turned out to take off in the states)

Tizoc

duckroll said:
MMU was already playable at various events, and they showed off much more of it than they have of MML3. What's your point?
Well from what I've seen so far, MML3 had more feedback given from developers than MMU, if you look through Capcom Unity or Capcom Japan's website.

How many events was MMU playable in and when was the last time it had any coverage?

daffy

Banned
It's fine guys, it's fine! This was just a necessary risk to get MML3 in the door, we knew they were gonna cancel at least one so we squeezed both in!

If they push out MML3, all hope for the future of gaming will be deleted D:

IrishNinja

this sucks, i know it's been a while since we saw shit but i liked what we saw. knowing now that it was playable at one point, this makes even less sense.

duckroll said:
Does that mean MML3 is getting canned next?

lotta people upset around here if that happens. wonder if the inafune-hate will finally turn around, or only get worse.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I was looking forward to it, honestly. It might have looked a bit like a mess, but the idea of a user-generated playground of Megaman content was very agreeable.

Capcom could have celebrated anything within the games walls (imagine a mini Megaman-style Frank West launching shopping carts through armies of Mets, or re-creating Lost Planet encounters in a 2D art style), and it would have been great to see polished and refined as time went on.

ibvq09.jpg

Man, it really is annoying, I'd like to see someone create an idea like this that WORKS. Little Big Planet seems to be the closest, but it's "action" elements seem so sub-par, character collision seems insanely floaty, and it just much more like a game to make platformers, rather than action-games. I was really hoping for this to be the action-oriented take on the idea, especially available on 360, since there isn't much like it.

Top Bottom