• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meltdown prediction: Intellivision Amico doesn’t seem long for this world

clem84

Gold Member
I'm hoping this will get released but it's not looking very good at the moment.

Following up to the crowd funding campaign ending early, they announced today they're in talks to attract other investors. At this point I'm wondering if the company isn't just looking to be bought out to bring some much needed financial stability to the project.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I got an email from them earlier that said they can't talk about their plans. I'm glad I didn't order one.

I wanted to take a moment to provide an update and also extend my apologies. As you know it was my goal to communicate with you by the end of February however, over the last few weeks we started discussions with potential investors/acquirers outside of the StartEngine universe. As we continue to work with them on a deal structure and terms, it has been agreed that we maintain a "quiet period" while negotiating. The magnitude of this type of deal will invariably have an influence on our path forward but are excited about the potential of a new groups' involvement with Intellivision and will update you as soon as we are able.

Thank you for your continued support and patience.

Phil Adam
CEO
Intellivision

Last edited:
Seems like the meltdown predictions may have been a bit premature. It looks like it is coming fairly soon now - I received an email from GameStop about my long ago placed pre-order today (yes, I preordered one, but I buy lots of weird systems, so don't take that as a sign of anything even remotely positive lol), and the crew have now posted an “unboxing” video about an hour ago.

That said, I don't expect the Amico to get much traction in the marketplace at all - it will be a very niche system that won't have much going for it within a year or so.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Seems like the meltdown predictions may have been a bit premature. It looks like it is coming fairly soon now - I received an email from GameStop about my long ago placed pre-order today (yes, I preordered one, but I buy lots of weird systems, so don't take that as a sign of anything even remotely positive lol), and the crew have now posted an “unboxing” video about an hour ago.

That said, I don't expect the Amico to get much traction in the marketplace at all - it will be a very niche system that won't have much going for it within a year or so.

The app bubbles remind me of the Vita but the rest of the UI looks pretty amateurish. Not that it matters much but It also doesn't seem to have account system so purchases are going to be tied to the console. This really feels like something try to cash in on the more casual nature of the Wii and you'd find for $99 at a KIOSK in a mall except this is ten years too late and $150-200 too expensive. Should be an interesting collectors item if nothing else. Good luck!

BigBooper

I don't believe it. Why in the unboxing video do they cut to a game instead of showing the game launch? They already have the menu open and button selected, but cut to an already running game.

Hopefully it comes for the people that want it still, and I think it eventually will if they get more funding, but they no longer deserve any benefit of the doubt.

The app bubbles remind me of the Vita but the rest of the UI looks pretty amateurish. Not that it matters much but It also doesn't seem to have account system so purchases are going to be tied to the console. This really feels like something try to cash in on the more casual nature of the Wii and you'd find for $99 at a KIOSK in a mall except this is ten years too late and $150-200 too expensive. Should be an interesting collectors item if nothing else. Good luck!
I agree, the UI/menu system definitely looks quite amateurish. I hadn't thought about the fact that there doesn't seem to be an account system for the store. I don't think I like that, although now that I think about it, it's not likely that I will ever meet another person with an Amico, so where else would I even ever log in? And, if something terrible happens to my Amico, it's not like I will run out and buy another. Still a strange choice for them to handle it this way...

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I agree, the UI/menu system definitely looks quite amateurish. I hadn't thought about the fact that there doesn't seem to be an account system for the store. I don't think I like that, although now that I think about it, it's not likely that I will ever meet another person with an Amico, so where else would I even ever log in? And, if something terrible happens to my Amico, it's not like I will run out and buy another. Still a strange choice for them to handle it this way...

I was thinking more about if the unit breaks and you have to get a replacement which is also improbable.

MrA

we have limited resources, where should we use them? a really fancy box, one thing I have to give sony credit for with the ps5, they made the box a box and not some stupid unboxing video bait.

A.Romero

Oh shit, I'm surprised they have some kind of a mock up of a testing equipment out there. If it was under $150 I bet it could have potential to appeal casuals that liked the Wii.

I hope it comes out for the people who already put money there.

Don't think I'd buy one, though.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

It doesn't look too bad for the audience it's targeting, actually. I am just not sure if the market will accept that price.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
we have limited resources, where should we use them? a really fancy box, one thing I have to give sony credit for with the ps5, they made the box a box and not some stupid unboxing video bait.
In electronics, some products focus on fancy boxes and presentation (Xbox systems lately have high end packaging), some are just an average box with some artwork and descriptions (microwave), some are often boring brown cardboard (TVs and DVD players).

Likely has to do with the target audience and how much they value presentation. Consoles at their heart are toys. So you need some colourful pull so it looks snazzy on a shelf.

Davevil

T1.gif
The fuck is this shit of gif?

UnNamed

Banned
I still think is not a bad idea per se, the concept behind it is good. I just don't think Amico will have a good run though. Too expensive and everything named with an italian word is fated to be a failure: PS VITA, Windows VISTA...

AJUMP23

I don’t think this thing will get any traction. It looks to be DOA. It will be a cool novelty like the Yua (I think) when all is said and done.

Their own SEC filing said that if the StartEngine campaign fails, they have funds until June. The campaign failed.
There is no manufacturing going on or even FCC certifications.

QmK92up.png
Ah, interesting. I'll be honest, I stopped really following things a while ago. Due to the GameStop email I received and then this video dropping the same day, I figured they must have gotten things together and it was close. I really thought they were on the verge of shipping.

It's pretty funny, because apparently GameStop doesn't know what's going on either - not a great sign:

BgHXGoSl.png

UVYACS0l.png

At least they probably didn't send out too many of those pre-order update emails as I'm sure there aren't that many pre-orders.

Well, I guess we're back to where we were before I posted the "update". 🤣

Last edited:

Fbh

I guess it looks ok for something some non tech savy parent or grandparents can use to play games with their kids/grandkids.
But the whole thing looks very basic and limited. The OS in particular looks like something I'd expect from some no name $50 chinese console. And the longer they take to release this the more outdated the hardware is getting.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Ah, interesting. I'll be honest, I stopped really following things a while ago. Due to the GameStop email I received and then this video dropping the same day, I figured they must have gotten things together and it was close. I really thought they were on the verge of shipping.

It's pretty funny, because apparently GameStop doesn't know what's going on either - not a great sign:

BgHXGoSl.png

UVYACS0l.png

At least they probably didn't send out too many of those pre-order update emails as I'm sure there aren't that many pre-orders.

Well, I guess we're back to where we were before I posted the "update". 🤣
Sounds like Gamestop is trying to get their money from you. They might have paid in advance for these devices they now know they won't get.

ZoukGalaxy

LOL this "unboxing" is so fake and unnatural, fingerprints everywhere and "Johnny" controllers connected 😹
Donald Trump GIF by Jeff Dunham

Also, youtube comments are turned OFF: that said A LOT about them and this fiasco 😹
troll GIF

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Our lads got his Amico hat now. Unrelated to Amico video but he's really trying to score a free one off Tommy.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
This honestly seems like Ouya, but even more pointless.
Controllers without haptic feedback? Eww.
The games seem like early age Wii shovelware.

... what the fuck is going on? Why are people spending money on this?

PhaseJump

Banned

I am laughing at all of the games being played from the laptop on the floor, after unboxing the prototype that isn't mass produced yet.

Is it any wonder why these guys aren't getting funded? It's sneaky shit like this video. All these concerns would go away with an honest take. Show the thing booting up, games launching, etc.

fart town usa

Gold Member
This honestly seems like Ouya, but even more pointless.
Controllers without haptic feedback? Eww.
The games seem like early age Wii shovelware.

... what the fuck is going on? Why are people spending money on this?
For me, just sheer curiosity.

I will admit, when I saw the E3 presentation I thought it looked really charming and might be fun as a novelty device. I randomly preordered it like a year later or so. It wasn't until I preordered it that I actually started researching the Amico and realized all the prior delays and issues w/ Tommy and all that, lol.

So now it's basically just morbid curiosity. Kinda like when I bought CP2077 for the PS4 to see what it played like right off the disc w/ no patches. Only this is more expensive and will probably never release.

CamHostage

I will admit, when I saw the E3 presentation I thought it looked really charming and might be fun as a novelty device. I randomly preordered it like a year later or so. It wasn't until I preordered it that I actually started researching the Amico and realized all the prior delays and issues w/ Tommy and all that, lol.

So now it's basically just morbid curiosity. Kinda like when I bought CP2077 for the PS4 to see what it played like right off the disc w/ no patches. Only this is more expensive and will probably never release.

Good spirit you have about all this. Amico has (had?) the potential to be a charming novelty and a fun way to play party games... but the price and the delays and the production saga have left potential players collectors who paid in for fun finding themselves at the bottom of a well, in the rain, with wolves looking down from the rim, now wondering, "...Well, I can't imagine how this could get worse, but I betcha it's gonna!"

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member

I mean, hey, if you're lucky, you'll have a real rarity on your hands.
Hold onto it!

MrA

I mean, hey, if you're lucky, you'll have a real rarity on your hands.
Hold onto it!
yeah, but they lamed out and the physical releases were just download codes on nfc cards
that took a lot of the fun out for me, but I still have the preorder open, if only because I think the device physically looks cool, and as someone that loves owning odd ball consoles, ever hear of a philips in2it?

Top Bottom