• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meltdown prediction: Intellivision Amico doesn’t seem long for this world

Kdad

amico-woodgrain-deathwatch-800x450.jpg

Will the Amico ever reach a full-steam-ahead slate of manufacturing lines? Will its OS and games emerge as polished and easily approachable fare for families? Will the company be able to convince any retailers to clear out valuable shelf space for a system that doesn't have much organic hype? Questions like these are the stuff of vaporware legends. A completed, working "Amico" may well land in preorder customers' hands by the end of 2022, but an updated estimate from Intellivision reports only 6,000 orders in the wild. I'm not convinced Intellivision will get far past that number—or continue existing as an Amico-driven company—by the end of 2022.

carlosrox

Banned
First instinct is to feel bad for him/this but then I've heard stories of him being a royal asshole, at least about this whole Amico thing, plus dude's rich as fuck so I doubt it matters if this fails.

Yup, as one of the few keeping an eye on it to seriously consider a purchase (hardcore Intellivision nostalgia for me), I'll probably hold off until the fire sale.

ultrazilla

Gold Member

amico-woodgrain-deathwatch-800x450.jpg

Will the Amico ever reach a full-steam-ahead slate of manufacturing lines? Will its OS and games emerge as polished and easily approachable fare for families? Will the company be able to convince any retailers to clear out valuable shelf space for a system that doesn't have much organic hype? Questions like these are the stuff of vaporware legends. A completed, working "Amico" may well land in preorder customers' hands by the end of 2022, but an updated estimate from Intellivision reports only 6,000 orders in the wild. I'm not convinced Intellivision will get far past that number—or continue existing as an Amico-driven company—by the end of 2022.

Solarstrike Solarstrike Man I'm glad we wiped that nostalgia covered bullshit away from our eyes and canceled our orders. What a cluster. Inexcusable.

Crew511A

Man, the fucking flash games.......

Why are 40 year olds so fucking pumped for this piece of shit? Is it honestly the games? Because open Steam and that garbo is right there. Go wild.

Only game that looks pretty ok is skiing.

Brand loyalty is a powerful thing. It's why every few years we see a petition for a Dreamcast 2. Nevermind the reality of Sega's current situation. People think if Sega released a new console, all those old IP's would just come flooding back. Probably the same reason COD rakes in so much cash despite Activision not giving a care about the quality of the games.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Solarstrike Solarstrike Man I'm glad we wiped that nostalgia covered bullshit away from our eyes and canceled our orders. What a cluster. Inexcusable.
The system and games should have been in people's hands by now. I'm guessing a lot of people cancelled their preorders which hit Amico's piggy bank hard. They've have been more concerned about shopping the thing around for potential distributors instead. I didn't want to cancel my preorder but something didn't seem right after a few of their "updates".

Agent X

Tank Battle looks OK, and might be fun to play with friends. I don't know if it would hold up as a single-player game. It seems more like a mini-game that should be part of a bigger package. As a standalone game, this should cost less than $5 as a download from their online store.

I kind of feel that the visuals might look better if they changed the viewpoint from directly overhead to a slightly angled-down perspective, similar to the old game Return Fire from the mid 1990s (3DO, PlayStation, PC).

Come to think of it, Return Fire would have been a good game for them to revive and bring out for this system, as it's an excellent multiplayer game that also has a very good single-player mode.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Funny enough, I preordered one a few weeks back. Didn't realize it had been delayed numerous times until afterwards. I thought the E3 presentation was it's unveiling.

I posted in another Amico thread but the whole flame war surrounding it is just pathetic beyond measure. Something about an Atari Age forum argument, Pat the NES Punk and a handful of YouTubers just going to absurd lengths to shit on anything involving the Amico. (the fanboys are equally as weird too). The whole situation is like a fever dream.

I'm not even trying to defend the thing, I honestly don't care if it gets cancelled, I preordered out of sheer curiosity.

Go check out the Amico reddit for an idea of how little interest there is but it's still dominated by keyboard warriors who hate Tommy. I went down that rabbit hole the other week and it's just embarrassing beyond belief what some people focus their energy on.

My point is, it's an Intellivision console that may or may not release. If investors lose money, so be it. If it releases and flops, so be it. I really can't wrap my head around the "in-depth" analysis of a niche machine that 99.9% of planet doesn't even know exists.

It honestly should just be ignored outright until it releases or officially cancelled.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I still have my pre-order, not gonna cancel.

Not that I'm geeked over the Amico, lol. Mostly just curious and I thought last year's E3 was the initial announcement for it. I had no idea it was announced in 2018 and already delayed numerous times. It's more or less destined to fail, if it even releases, but I'm still curious about it.

MrA

I still have my pre-order, not gonna cancel.

Not that I'm geeked over the Amico, lol. Mostly just curious and I thought last year's E3 was the initial announcement for it. I had no idea it was announced in 2018 and already delayed numerous times. It's more or less destined to fail, if it even releases, but I'm still curious about it.
I think it will make it out of the gate, now failure that a guarantee but I still going to get one

wipeout364

It’s interesting that the Atari actually released but this is turning out to be the vaporware. I really wanted to buy the Atari as it was the system I grew up with but was too expensive for what it was. I love the remakes they have been releasing though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Fear not gamers.

Even if you have interest in some of these suped up retro games, just give it a year. After Amico fails, a ton of these games will port to PC and console for $10 each.

Crew511A

So I got banned last night from the official Intellivision Amico Facebook page. These guys really are in bunker mode. What's truly pathetic (aside from the 50 year olds who think this thing represents a great value and will be the next Wii), is the small time YouTubers who were so willing to sacrifice their credibility to shill for TT because they got some cheap swag.

Ristifer

Admittedly, I'm kinda rooting for it to fail, as I've wanted Earthworm Jim 4 for a long time, and want it to come to the other consoles/PC. But I feel like that game will never be completed anyway, so I have no idea anymore.

DaGwaphics

Weird thing is I can see a market for something like this, that targets kids and overprotective parents in equal measure. If the entire package was the price of a cheap android phone (which matches with the specs) it might have had a niche following. The price is just asinine given the fact that the Switch and XSS exist in the market.

Rayderism

I see this as a very niche system. It seems to bank on nostalgia which has mostly been sated over the years with various retro compilations, emulation and indie games.

Many of the games seem to be remakes of some of the original Intellivision games, and that's great. But they should have added the ability to play the old original Intellivision games, whether it be digital downloads or an actual cartridge port for the old carts. I think that would have boosted its nostalgia and/or hype level, at least a little.

At best, I see this selling about as much as those retro compilation consoles that have 50+ pre-installed games. Except this won't have 50+ pre-installed games, and will cost a LOT more at $250. It will be a tough sell for all but the most avid gamer/collector. I figure it will have whatever amount of games at release, and then maybe a dozen or two more after release, then it will fade into obscurity.

Havoc2049

The Atari VCS, while more expensive, is a better deal. It is already out, comes with the Atari VCS Vault, Antstream Arcade, PC mode, KB&M support, better controllers (just like the old days 😜) and Stadia and Xbox XCloud streaming mode. The new Retro Recharged remakes are actually good games. They just released all the original rare late gen Atari 7800 games for the VCS, which go for like $100+ on eBay these days and hold their own against NES and SMS games. Way more bang for your buck.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Out of all the Amico games, I'd buy Night Stalker and the new D&D game if they came to Xbox for $10. That's it from what I saw.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
That lad that I keep posting videos of won’t have it that it’s trash.

I mean he even got to do a vid with the great man himself.

PhaseJump

Banned
That lad that I keep posting videos of won’t have it that it’s trash.

I mean he even got to do a vid with the great man himself.

That guy actually changed his Youtube name to The Amico Kid for a while.

He's still not half as bad as the other shills that doxx people for calling Intellivision's console a scam.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In an attempt to raise new investment of $5 million for the system as it seemingly nears release, Intellivision launched a campaign on Start Engine offering shares in the company.

However, the campaign has been ended early, two months earlier than its closing date, with just $58,001 raised from 54 investors.

Tech journalist Sam Machkovech tweeted that they believed the early closure was “about as bright and red a flag as it gets in the world of unreleased tech hardware”.

“My guesses [are that Intellivision] realised investment momentum had frozen, [that] they get the money sooner if they conclude ASAP [and that] claiming and spending this money is the last step before bankruptcy filing.”

Top Bottom