• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Menace II Society vs. Boyz 'N the Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is the better early 90s west coast gangster flick? My vote goes to Menace. O-Dog was more of a badass than Doughboy, and Caine wasn't nearly the pussy that icetrey was.

scrn0009.jpg

scrn0010.jpg

scrn0011.jpg

scrn0012.jpg

scrn0013.jpg

calder

Menace is so clearly better this thread should be locked. Or else a poll inserted, then locked when Menace gets 10x the votes.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Menace was the better "hood" movie. But Boyz 'N the Hood left you with more hope at the end.
I think they are different kinds of movies. I liked them both.

Socreges

Banned
Truelize said:
Menace was the better "hood" movie. But Boyz 'N the Hood left you with more hope at the end. I think they are different kinds of movies. I liked them both.
Yeah, Boyz was more hollywood and Menace was more real.

At least, from my experience in the hood. Man, New Westminster, seven at night. *shudder*

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Ricky dying > Cain getting shot up...

but Menace had the man in it that said

"you know you fucked up right?"

classic line there..

hobbitx

They both rocked, I liked Menace II Society better, Cain and O-Dogg were just so much more interesting and memorable and the span of the whole film gave you a much better feel of South Central. I've been to those projects where Cain lived, used to get my haircut there every week, I remember going nuts when I saw that in place onscreen. :lol

Vieo said:
Tales from the Hood. That ending was just damn scary. =(

"Yo, YO, YO! Where's the shit?!"

Crazy Don king devil responds: " The shit?! I'll show you where'S the shit!"

They go downstairs and the Don King wanna be changes into Satan.

mrmyth

Menace was the better, more realistic movie, but I knew Doughboy. Cats like him protected me when I was a ten-year-old bookworm in the ghetto. Cats who weren't stupid, just misdirected. They never knew any more than what they saw, and nobody ever saw anything in them. So BitH will always have a special place in my heart because of my own personal Doughboys.

Both great movies, but I seem to remember more of Menace II Society. I'm not a guy who remembers character names, but that crazy O-Dogg was memorable.

Dont be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood>>>>>>>>>>Menace II Society >>>>>>>>>> Boyz 'N the Hood

no contest.

The cheesburger scene in Menace is pure classic cinema. They should run it alongside all those other clips you see during Oscar montages.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Menace was the best out of the two. Too Short should have gotten a best supporting actor nomination.

Lil' Dice

Banned
hobbitx said:
They both rocked, I liked Menace II Society better, Cain and O-Dogg were just so much more interesting and memorable and the span of the whole film gave you a much better feel of South Central. I've been to those projects where Cain lived, used to get my haircut there every week, I remember going nuts when I saw that in place onscreen. :lol

M2S took take place in Watts, not South Central.

darscot

Menace II Society by a mile. That movies rocks. But why they hell can't I get a decent version on DVD? Were is the new HD Transfer DTS Special Edition?

Boyz in da Hood is the better MOVIE. However, Menace to Society is more authentic and raw. Depends what you are looking for. If you were looking to appreciate the film for its cinematic qualities Boyz is higher imo, but Menace definately is harder.

Teddman

Menace was the more assured movie from a filmmaking standpoint. There are a lot of virtuoso scenes, like the steadycam shot that goes from the curb through a house party and out into the backyard. I think the Hughes Bros. had a better grip on the language of cinema than Singleton at that point in their careers... Both of them were first-time filmmakers, right?

But Boyz was a more powerful movie overall for me. Scenes like the cops harassing and threatening Tre with a gun, the childhood prologue, the death of Doughboy's brother (and its immediate aftermath), etc. packed a heavier emotional punch than anything in Menace. Little moments like when Furious realizes Tre jumped out the window of his bedroom to go on a drive-by, embraces Tre's girlfriend and shows fear for the first time in the movie, those stick out in my memory.

By contrast, Menace had a lot of memorable scenes as well, but none of them really affected me on that level. The violence began to pile up to the point that it diluted the impact and became almost an action flick. Boyz N tha Hood has rare moments of violence, and they resonated more for it. Also, I thought Boyz had better actors all around, and I cared more about the characters. I really didn't give a damn if the protagonist of Menace died, he just didn't have much charisma.

darscot said:
Menace II Society by a mile. That movies rocks. But why they hell can't I get a decent version on DVD? Were is the new HD Transfer DTS Special Edition?

i got tired of waiting for a new edition and just picked up the current release. Its barebones like a mothefucker, but it was only $9 so no harm done. Plus, they re-released it in a regular amaray type case instead of those goddamned snapper cases, so thats a bonus!

mrmyth

Teddman said:
By contrast, Menace had a lot of memorable scenes as well, but none of them really affected me on that level. The violence began to pile up to the point that it diluted the impact and became almost an action flick.

That was the point of Menace. Violence to the people in the movie was like gaming to us. You did it, enjoyed it, and didn't think twice about it. Caine was a sociopath, and he was supposed to be the hero.

Teddman

I understood that, and the overall affect was visceral and dizzying. Menace is a good movie, Boyz just emotionally involved me more. Great score too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom