• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MercurySteam teases new game

Corpsepyre

Banned
He mentioned on his Twitter that he was inspired by the Pillars of Creation photo that was released by NASA for their new game.

Whatever that means.

tolkir

Oscar Araujo (composer of LoS) has said today in a conference that he's working in two AAA games, One of them is a very famous IP.

RangerBAD

I downloaded the video from the site and it gives me this image

ttvZT1d.jpg

I'm worried about Front Mission now...

Astral Dog

LOS 1 was an interesting beast, i thought it was ambitious and had a degree of polish, but at the same time boring, frustrating, and did not feel like Castlevania at all.

MoF was fine, a 2D spin off that stayed a bit close to the 2D template and had great graphics for the system, honestly i don't why there is so much hate for it.

LOS 2 is frustrating, in parts i think its better than the first game, bosses, more realized gothic aesthetic, a slightly more likeable protagonist, but its a mess. it clearly had troubled development.

now, i wonder if MS can truly learn from their past games and deliver a solid new title.

Verger

Banned
For every thing they improved from LoS1 they fucked up two. But yes, the free camera was a welcome addition. The mess of incoherent story in the sequel was not. But we'll agree to disagree.
I liked LoS2 despite its flaws, but this is a fair assessment.

It was frustrating in a way. Because MercurySteam did improve on several key points such as the game Engine which was technically a much smoother one (game ran 60fps on my computer with no hitches at all), the combat was faster, the Bosses more fun, no dumb Titan battles, and Gabriel moved a lot better and the platforming was very fast, in addition to the free camera.

But unfortunately they completely botched stuff like the overall Level Design. Their attempt at a "Metroidvania" world just fell totally flat and the "interconnections" and progression between the Castle and the City made absolutely no sense. The Chapter-based progression of the original was much better. And the modern-day city was such a letdown. I really was excited about it, but they pulled it off so badly. The Modern-day "Satanic Lab" was the most generic Lab I've ever seen in gaming, contrast to the highly stylized technology of more primitive labs such as Frankenstein's and the Toymaker's in the previous games too and it just makes it even worse. I think I heard one of the Art Directors from LoS1 left midway through development so maybe that contributed to this.

The Stealth segments weren't as bad as they were panned as, but they still made absolutely zero sense to have in this game. This clearly reeked of Enric Alvaraz's wanting his idea in the game no matter how badly in execution it turned out.

And yeah, the story, well, it wasn't all bad until the ending, but the terrible ending just tanked it all. Actually, the entire final segment after Zobek just felt like the developers had absolutely no idea how to end the game because it has so little build up and anticipation and then is over before you know it. Plus Satan's final form is just ugh. His LoS1 appearance felt more epic.
His music in LoS1 was awesome.
Hi music in LoS2 is even better IMO

Dying for a drop of Blood
The Siege Titan
The Paladin of God
Descent to the Castle Dungeons
Return to the Castle
Next Stop, Castlevania
Raisa Volkova
Carmilla's Final Battle
The Toy Maker's Heart
The Toy Maker's Grand Battle
Enough Talk, Have at you!
Death Grand Battle
The Leviathan
Satan Final Battle

I'll be curious about this next game of theirs, but am going to wait and see how it is executed and hear impressions before committing to it.

BouncyFrag

I don't think LoS2 was bad, just confused on what it wanted to be. Had the game been just the castle in old times it would have worked.
The castle content was great as were the boss fights. The unkillable guards who could insta-kill in the stealth sections ruined the rest of it though. I did love the first one so I'm down for a new MS game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
While LOS2 had it's problems I love the moment when dracula casually gripped the cross's head, and began reciting the same prayer as Roland and says "That's why the power of your god, cannot destroy me! because I am his chosen one!"
Also the ending boss theme which mixes which Dracula s theme then goes into the LOS1 theme was epic.

nOoblet16

Except for the boring city parts. I didn't find the game to be as bad as much of the internet hyperbole insisted it was, but the first game was better in most ways. Although I did like the special abilities more in the second.

Uh, yeah okay. Docking the game massive points just for the story is kind of ridiculous since it was an action adventure game first and foremost, with an emphasis on exploration and combat. The story may have mattered, but it wasn't what made or broke the game.

LOS2 also had an extremely poor art design so exploration was boring. The modern day sections were all factories, warehouses and factories, with really senseless design choices like the stealth section....why does Dracula still has to turn into a rat to avoid those enemies when he has his powers back?

LOS1 was one of the most diverse game I saw last gen in terms of art design and production values, it also had a great music and it aimed big far bigger than LOS2. Basically LOS2 was everything that LOS1 was not.

The Stealth segments weren't as bad as they were panned as, but they still made absolutely zero sense to have in this game. This clearly reeked of Enric Alvaraz's wanting his idea in the game no matter how badly in execution it turned out.

And yeah, the story, well, it wasn't all bad until the ending, but the terrible ending just tanked it all. Actually, the entire final segment after Zobek just felt like the developers had absolutely no idea how to end the game because it has so little build up and anticipation and then is over before you know it. Plus Satan's final form is just ugh. His LoS1 appearance felt more epic.
I didn't think there was anything redeemable about the stealth sections in the game. There was nothing remotely fun or satisfying about them, just pure tedium and frustration.

I don't know how the story plays out because I couldn't finish the game despite loving LoS 1, but nothing I played through made any sense at all. Like they really wanted to put these shitty stealth sections in so much that they wrote completely illogical plot devices around them. Zobek is constantly telling you that you are no match for random grunts yet you are clearly shown a Gabriel who is as strong as you've ever seen him destroying huge monsters like business as usual. Same with certain boss characters which are invincible and completely annihilate you on sight one moment then in the next section the game allows you kill them without any explanation other than, "We really wanted the player to experience our amazing stealth game design".

I found information about this in a spanish site
They have two projects that got a subsidy and a loan by the spanish industry ministery
http://www.minetur.gob.es/PortalAyu...nts/Listado_PropuestaProvisionalConcesion.pdf
There you can see their two projects

TSI-100900-2014-080: Multigenre development for new platforms. Aleph. 466.018,02€ subsidy 4.194.162,18€ loan.

TSI-100900-2014-058 NAKED 362.658,22€ ssubsidy 3.263.923,98€ loan.

Aleph was the project with the best rating.

On another note there you can also find:
- Tequila Works with TEQUILA WORKS VIDEOGAME.
- PYRO MOBILE, S.L. and ZED WORLDWIDE, S.A. with a new generation AAA COMMANDOS project.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oscar Araujo (composer of LoS) has said today in a conference that he's working in two AAA games, One of them is a very famous IP.

Thank the lords. I was wondering where he went. Would have hated for the poor last CV game to have taken him down too.

Elios83

Lords of shadow trilogy? Didn't even know there was a third. Liked 1 but heard 2 was dirt.
Looking forward to learning whatever this may be though.

The second was not as bad as some people and the gaming press said.
The stealth sections were bad and the modern day setting overall felt like a wasted opportunity but the traditional part in the castle and the boss battles were really great. It's a flawed game that doesn't live up to the original but I'd still give it a 7-7.5 overall.

About this new game...mmm Contra vibes...

So, where is it ?, Anyone found anything yet ?

I'm searching all around and can't find a single piece of news about this new IP, and I'm sure MercurySteam was in Germany cause Enric Alvarez tweeted about it.

Verger

Banned
Thank the lords. I was wondering where he went. Would have hated for the poor last CV game to have taken him down too.
I'd like to believe there'd be other game developers who would recognize his talent and want to use him. Even if you feel his music didn't "fit Castlevania" it sure as hell is top tier talent that would fit plenty of other games quite well.

So, where is it ?, Anyone found anything yet ?

I'm searching all around and can't find a single piece of news about this new IP, and I'm sure MercurySteam was in Germany cause Enric Alvarez tweeted about it.

Don't think anything was announced. Mercuy might just have been there to do business with publishers and the likes.

Lords of Darkness 2 was the Other M of Castlevania and made me lose all hope for my favourite series (that and IGA leaving around that time). I hate it with a burning passion.

LoD was fine though, and MoF was decent, which makes it even more frustrating.

Don't think anything was announced. Mercuy might just have been there to do business with publishers and the likes.

I see, well it's been some time since Lords of Shadow 2, and with them teasing it, it just made sense they will at least say something about it at Gamescom, kinda like how Deck 13 did with The Surge.

Did anything come of this project at Gamescom?
OP here.

Nope. Not a thing.

I'd bet a big sum of money that if they're teasing something in their site their announcement must be coming this year. Has to be. If it isn't Paris Games Week then it must be the VGX. I don't see this being revealed at TGS or PSX.

HYDE

Banned
OP here.

Nope. Not a thing.

I'd bet a big sum of money that if they're teasing something in their site their announcement must be coming this year. Has to be. If it isn't Paris Games Week then it must be the VGX. I don't see this being revealed at TGS or PSX.

Unfortunate...I loved both Lords of Shadows games and was looking forward to this.

Sijil

They should revisit Severance Blade of Darkness and take advantage of the Souls series popularity. Severance definitely feels like a Souls game and I loved it back in the day with the sword fighting and gore system being unparalleled at the time.

Codemasters might own the IP but they could just as well produce a sequel with a different name.

Corpsepyre

Banned
The director, Enric Alvarez, mentioned on his Twitter that the whole Konami-ending-AAA-development-thing isn't affecting Mercy Steam's game. Also, said to stay tuned for an announcement as to whether Konami is publishing the game.

Interesting. I didn't like LoS2 much, but the first game was quite good. Started off really slow, but the later levels, especailly the castle and the last level were expertly done.

Hopefully they can pull this new title off without hitches.

RPGCrazied

Contra? I'm not among the MercurySteam hater club. The first Lords of Shadow was awesome. The 2nd game had its issues, but still a good game. the ending sucked though.

I'll keep an eye open for this.

Contra? I'm not among the MercurySteam hater club. The first Lords of Shadow was awesome. The 2nd game had its issues, but still a good game. the ending sucked though.

I'll keep an eye open for this.

I always assumed they'd be saddled with Contra after Castlevania.
I'd actually love to see what they could do with that franchise.

Not sure how that would work now with Konami, though.

If it's Contra, I bet they'll turn it into a generic third person shooter instead of a classic run 'n gun.

I wish Rising 2 wasn't effected either.

Top Bottom