• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
The shit posters who come here to stir the pot all get found out eventually and dealt with. Subtlety and intelligence is not their strong suit.

I’ve noticed the latest wave of new names with a political bent too, but I wouldn’t worry. I have faith in the current staff.

The shit posters who come here to stir the pot all get found out eventually and dealt with. Subtlety and intelligence is not their strong suit.

I’ve noticed the latest wave of new names with a political bent too, but I wouldn’t worry. I have faith in the current staff.
I really despise shit posters who lack any sense of humor or irony.

Barnabot

So are you expecting the crazy chick either making him getting him fired or killed in the next week? He's not gonna give up on her.

Papa

Banned
Btw if he’s genuinely upset by it then I will have to wear it a bit longer out of principle. I thought after his cheeky boi shenanigans with the comics — which were brilliant btw — he’d be down with some self-deprecating humour.

Nymphae

Banned
You guys don’t like it? 😢

I just don't get it, it just comes across like you simply don't like him and are making fun of him, which I would think would be frowned upon. I remember a user had changed their avatar to NI's, but changed the face to the NPC icon. I liked that, this is just you drawing on Antoon's face to annoy him.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just don't get it, it just comes across like you simply don't like him and are making fun of him, which I would think would be frowned upon. I remember a user had changed their avatar to NI's, but changed the face to the NPC icon. I liked that, this is just you drawing on Antoon's face to annoy him.

I think you’re going to little too hard on it. Knowing Antoon Antoon , he is going to laugh it off, just like his comic was designed to laugh off emotion/tension.

Papa

Banned

Uh no, I like Antoon a lot. In fact, I was one of the only ones defending his Ailynn/NI cartoon. The new avatar is me just playing around after this banter in butt thread:

Why do they always leave out the fifth panel?

GAF-fetishes.png

Your wet blanketing here is kinda ruining the mood though.

Nymphae

Banned
Uh no, I like Antoon a lot. In fact, I was one of the only ones defending his Ailynn/NI cartoon. The new avatar is me just playing around after this banter in butt thread:

Your wet blanketing here is kinda ruining the mood though.

That's the context I was looking for, thanks.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Maybe the mods / staff would be open to a restriction on posting on Politics board until a user has been made x number of posts on the other boards. Anecdotally, I have seen more users are signing up specifically to post in political threads lately. I enjoy discussing those topics among the company of regular GAFers because we each have a reputation and history of opinions, not to mention we can blow off steam in other threads or channels, outside of politics.

When users sign up specifically to argue on the Politics side-forum, it feels hollow discussing topics because there is not the same skin in the game. I'm here to talk about games and sometimes to argue about politics on the side. Do we want GAF to be a politics destination like it was back in the USA 2016 election? Splitting the Politics board off into its own section has done a lot of good, in my opinion. Perhaps consider de-emphasizing Politics board even further especially now that GAF communities are on the horizon would be worth trying?

I mean, we are headed into Next Gen consoles as well as the 2020 USA election season. If we're gonna get flooded with spammers, astroturfers, shills, and ideologues, I'd rather have it be of the console war variety instead of the political variety.

I’ve suggested this a few times in the past and a few others have as well. It’s always weird seeing people who register on a gaming forum and then only post in politics, sometimes only trying to stir things up with low quality posts. I think it would be a good idea to add a minor barrier to politics so we attract the right people (primarily gamers). It could even be something as low as having 50 posts and I think that would help.

I really can’t think of any downside to implementing this idea.

Last edited:

Barnabot

Then people would be shitposting all the way to the 50 posts to be able to post at politics. I guess that wouldn't suffice though. Maybe we don't have to restrict anyone to post on that subforum at all.

Nymphae

Banned
It’s always weird seeing people who register on a gaming forum and then only post in politics, sometimes only trying to stir things up with low quality posts. I think it would be a good idea to add a minor barrier to politics so we attract the right people (primarily gamers)

Hey I appreciate Nobody_Important's presence here. Wouldn't be the same without him lol. Would he have stuck around if he had to put in 50 gaming posts first?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Then people would be shitposting all the way to the 50 posts to be able to post at politics. I guess that wouldn't suffice though. Maybe we don't have to restrict anyone to post on that subforum at all.

If there’s some effort involved (making X amount of posts) that would weed out a lot of those people.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This gets brought up every time and every time I offer the same answer: then they'll be banned faster.

We have people signing up and immediately throwing down on Politics board. Undoubtedly at least one or two of them are alts. It's weird behavior. GAF has been a battleground for politics in the recent past.

Barnabot

If there’s some effort involved (making X amount of posts) that would weed out a lot of those people.
This gets brought up every time and every time I offer the same answer: then they'll be banned faster.

We have people signing up and immediately throwing down on Politics board. Undoubtedly at least one or two of them are alts. It's weird behavior. GAF has been a battleground for politics in the recent past.
So both of you think they can get a ban for being a spammer first if reaching to politics section asap is their goal?

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
So both of you think they can get a ban for being a spammer first if reaching to politics section asap is their goal?
It won't be foolproof. It's just one additional layer of discouragement. Certainly, a person could patiently increase their post count and then join Politics later. I do think we need to be afraid of people who waste their own time to patiently build up a burner account and then completely waste it on... online arguments over politics. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

There's no harm being caused by people joining GAF and jumping right into Politics. I am just noticing where the trend might lead, which is why I bring it up. The mod team monitors this stuff all the time anyway, like Palliasso said earlier.

Last edited:

Barnabot

So Antoon got banned for 1 month. It's gonna suck just to wait a month to see how this fanfic with the french girl would end.

Top Bottom