• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Why exactly are all these threads getting locked? We can no longer vouch for other members if the community feels their ban was unjust?
You can send in a message to the mod if you see a ban on the ban list you want to vouch for in the mean time, IMO

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't bring back the ban transparency in a different way; I've seen placing banned people in a walled garden and have to create a thread requesting an unban and discussing with the mods on why they were banned work well. Allows for current members to see the discussion and the mind set of why someone got banned, but doesn't allow for the peanut gallery

Transparency is a bitch to balance; bring something into the public light and it's open to public scrutiny

Peggies

Gold Member
Nah, I won't do that. I'll keep shitting on woke people, commies and bad policy makers till my time comes.
good for you GIF by TipsyElves.com

Ionian

Bloody idiots ruining it for everyone else by having those threads shut-down due to their childish moaning and bickering.

Gonna miss them, they were great entertainment for others that didn't behave like those assholes.

Brute

I've lost rights to post in the Dan thread. Apologies EviLore EviLore and the staff here - I did enquire about getting the GB thread back but receieved no reply. I'm not excusing going off-topic in the Dan thread though so sorry about that.

It's a shame a few people from there were banned though - was it because of posting about GB? How did I avoid the ban?

edit: and for the record, I didn't moan or bicker with anyone. I haven't got time for that kinda behaviour myself - just wondered why so many have been banned? Or is it politics related?

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Bloody idiots ruining it for everyone else by having those threads shut-down due to their childish moaning and bickering.

How so? Those guys with the exclusion of Zombie barely said anything in the last few weeks. It seemed to be a pre determined mod decisions.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Hey, I like the guys in the stock age thread. The smaller the community there the better. If that place gets shut down. I'll move on.
I don't see why that one would close. Seems pretty clear that it's the primarily negative threads that are the topic at hand. You nerds are pretty tame.

Ionian

How so? Those guys with the exclusion of Zombie barely said anything in the last few weeks. It seemed to be a pre determined mod decisions.

Simple, it's been on the cards for a while and EL listened to feedback and allowed threads to remain open. Just look at the poster bans he overturned. Then some cunts just wouldn't let it go so I imagine he got sick of it as listening to feedback didn't stop the disruptive users from causing hassle.

At least 2 of those bans were for account suicides in the same vein as the exodus from GAF to ERA, disgusting shit.

I wouldn't want to deal with it either, he's been very patient but those assholes ruined it for people who were being decent and not moaning, whining and being abusive. Most of the users in those threads were decent posters but they just had to go and fuck i all up for everyone.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I don't know what's going on, but I calmed after my pc spat from earlier. Even though I'm still a little pissed. that this piece of crap isn't working properly like a new computer should. I'll look into a computer expert about it.
You ever get this sorted out?

I don't get it, the ban thread got locked because of E zombie or did i miss something? Why were the other users reverted to perm?

One can only assume it got locked because it devolved into whining and begging for banned members to be unbanned? Unless I missed some shenanigans that went down.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Simple, it's been on the cards for a while and EL listened to feedback and allowed threads to remain open. Just look at the poster bans he overturned. Then some cunts just wouldn't let it go so I imagine he got sick of it as listening to feedback didn't stop the disruptive users from causing hassle.

At least 2 of those bans were for account suicides in the same vein as the exodus from GAF to ERA, disgusting shit.

I wouldn't want to deal with it either, he's been very patient but those assholes ruined it for people who were being decent and not moaning, whining and being abusive. Most of the users in those threads were decent posters but they just had to go and fuck i all up for everyone.

Personally, most of the guys banned (exlcluding EZ and others ) barely offered an opinion to something. They rarely contributed since the new rule change so "moaning, whining and abusive

behavior," is something I did not see, unless something occurred behind the scenes. So it seems to be an easy way for some people here to justify the closing of the threads.

Take example the ban thread, its purpose was to state a case for those who we thought were unfairly banned. What it eventually became from what I saw an opportunity to gloat and piss on other

people's graves. Whatever personal agenda people had with one another is their business but if you're complaining about REEE behaviour only to just behave like one in the end when a member

gets banned(excluding those who explicitly broke the rules,) to me was a contributing factor.

Last edited:

TheContact

i appreciate that EL gave as much leeway and forgiveness as he did following the capital riot. He took into consideration the ban reviews and even the RE thread initially. Matt looked to be done. Nymphae said he was done. Looks like possibly metal alien took this to DMs. Sucks to see them go, and respect that they didn't go out the same way we saw a lot of other posters go out the way a lot of people in 2017 went out. explosive zombie was just an explosive piece of shit as i figured.

i'm guessing we can talk about bans here but there isn't going to be some kind of ban review project anymore.

Here's a take: the group that constantly talks about bans should be banned. We've had people on GAF for years who talk meta, making underhanded comments about the community, and nipping at the heels of mods to try to get enemies noticed. I'd say it is long overdue to wipe these people off the site.

Resetera thread, Ban Review thread (now closed), Meta Gaf thread, the No Conspiracy thread (now closed), etc all have the same people dogfighting in the air above any real conversation, talking about bans and GAF's political lean and echo chambers and The Other Side. It drags down the discussion and builds a resentful community that looks over its own shoulder all the time.

I'm grateful that we can discuss videogames honestly (and sometimes cynically) without being banned for "vilifying game journalism" or "overt misogyny for enjoying anime women". But folks obsessing with the high-school drama and stanning for their side are bringing the site down for their own entertainment.

The mods aren't going to sort it out by banning the people you don't like. it's becoming more obvious who actually contributes to GAF and who props themselves up as moral arbiters for selfish / narcissistic reasons.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Nah, I won't do that. I'll keep shitting on woke people, commies and bad policy makers till my time comes. Sad to see such valuable members, long time contributors go. I have a profound respect for some of those guys that have been banned in the days gone and I wish them well and safety.

My concern is the ban thread, hope that get reactivated in the future.
Handshake Reaction GIF

Here here my man. Lol
Speaking of I am sad to see the re thread go but I'll live. We were doing so well for like two days after O-N-E O-N-E came back then shit hit the fan with zombie being an ultimate prick.

nush

Gold Member
Get outta here with that bs eh 🙄

I don't expect you have to been following, I'm not referring to woke, leftist stuff if that's how you read that comment. What I do recognize is that it's been documented that there are groups on Resterea that bandy together in a discord to mass report and strategically dogpile mod decisions in order to get the outcomes they want on that forum. People banned or unbanned and the direction they want things to go.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Here here my man. Lol
Speaking of I am sad to see the re thread go but I'll live. We were doing so well for like two days after O-N-E O-N-E came back then shit hit the fan with zombie being an ultimate prick.

I know. Someone jinxed it. Listen if any of you cunts get banned in the future. We will fight for you but just don't be a cunt and break the rules or else you're on your own.

Last edited:
Wasn't that sort of the point though?

To a degree sure. But as you could see, lately it had devolved into something that was more divisive than what was originally intended. It is obvious that the current social climate (at least from a western perspective) has been incredibly polarizing, with Trump and all that especially. It had manifested itself here in some pretty negative ways, and in the ban thread you could clearly see people begging for bans to be overturned simply because they belonged to "their side". To the point where people had been banned for some very blatant racist and conspiratory posts, yet people jumped right to their defense because tribalism.

Meanwhile you had people on the other side of the spectrum "dancing on their graves" (cringe). It did nothing but divide the community even further as you had people from both "sides" squabbling over bans. Teenage drama shit.

When it comes to the locking of the resetera thread, I dunno. The place is a shitshow and is so easy to laugh at. Pure lunacy. However, it was a thread of pure unbridled negativity that could be completely misconstrued depending on the way you viewed it. I'm not surprised that one was closed either.

I'm just hypothesizing based on how Evilore has been lately in regards to how he wants the site to be.

Last edited:

Peggies

Gold Member
Here's a take: the group that constantly talks about bans should be banned. We've had people on GAF for years who talk meta, making underhanded comments about the community, and nipping at the heels of mods to try to get enemies noticed. I'd say it is long overdue to wipe these people off the site.

Resetera thread, Ban Review thread (now closed), Meta Gaf thread, the No Conspiracy thread (now closed), etc all have the same people dogfighting in the air above any real conversation, talking about bans and GAF's political lean and echo chambers and The Other Side. It drags down the discussion and builds a resentful community that looks over its own shoulder all the time.

I'm grateful that we can discuss videogames honestly (and sometimes cynically) without being banned for "vilifying game journalism" or "overt misogyny for enjoying anime women". But folks obsessing with the high-school drama and stanning for their side are bringing the site down for their own entertainment.

The mods aren't going to sort it out by banning the people you don't like. it's becoming more obvious who actually contributes to GAF and who props themselves up as moral arbiters for selfish / narcissistic reasons.
Well spoken!

People will be like:

For Me Flirting GIF by Chord Overstreet

probably not the right ones, though.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
There is one thing though. I respect MetalAlien MetalAlien ban, he didn't go out a flaming drama queen. He said what he said to EL or whoever in the DM's (regardless of how provocative it may be) and left.

More users should do that, if they want to leave.

Goodbye man, rest easy

randy quaid salute GIF

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don't expect you have to been following, I'm not referring to woke, leftist stuff if that's how you read that comment. What I do recognize is that it's been documented that there are groups on Resterea that bandy together in a discord to mass report and strategically dogpile mod decisions in order to get the outcomes they want on that forum. People banned or unbanned and the direction they want things to go.

Ahhhh I seee.

Yeah totally misread your post mate sorry 😢

TheContact

We will fight for you but just don't be a cunt and break the rules or else you're on your own.

you can try but

so people are going to have to be personally accountable for their actions. explosive's outburst feels like military style punishment--one person ruins it for everyone. can't give people nice things if they can't use it properly.

ManofOne

Plus Member
you can try but

so people are going to have to be personally accountable for their actions. explosive's outburst feels like military style punishment--one person ruins it for everyone. can't give people nice things if they can't use it properly.

No I'll send a private DM to the mods and state my case on whoever behalf. I disagree with Nobody_Important Nobody_Important but if he gets banned tomm for saying something, that was totally misconstrued. I'll do the same for him.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
No I'll send a private DM to the mods and state my case on whoever behalf. I disagree with Nobody_Important Nobody_Important but if he gets banned tomm for saying something, that was totally misconstrued. I'll do the same for him.
I don't need your sympathy. Or your pity. If I die. Then I die.

MY ANCESTORS ARE SMILING AT ME MANOFONE. CAN YOU SAY THE SAME??????????

Seriously though. Thank you for the gesture. Even if we disagree a lot I value your input and your presence.

Last edited:

TheContact

that's awesome i just think it'll be in vain at this point. i hope you keep doing it, and i hope you don't get punished for it either given that EL said no more chances. it's important to have some kind of say in these things which is why it's disappointing to see the ban justice thread go. the re thread should have gone--people had their chances and just kept using it for insults rather than a thread that ex-re members can debrief/unwind/transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom