• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Helios

But but correlation != causation.

To be honest, I don’t want to see anyone permed unless they’re legitimately advocating for political violence, e.g. DaForest or hargwood. NI has a habit of handwaving it from his own side and overplaying his hand on the other side but that makes him a useful idiot, not an outright extremist. I know it’s the Meta GAF thread, but we’re kinda getting into inappropriate territory discussing this kind of stuff openly like this. We should just use the report function or PM a mod and leave it up to them if there’s anything specific we think they need to address.
Don't worry, I'm just fooling around. I already know there's no curse. Just don't make a welcome back thread for me if I ever get banned, okay?

Let’s not do them for self-requested bans*.

*This whole welcome back thread meme started when JareBear self-requested a perm and I wanted to show him some love when he came back, but I see this as an exception to the rule given the circumstances at the time. I feel like the meme is getting a bit out of hand now if we just make them for anyone for any old reason.
Harumph! "lollipop_disappointed:

ezgif-1-a0f6e2139da3.gif

Barnabot

He must be so grateful for having a gangs around as some of his latest posts showed. Don't know if he was part of one in the past or not. But here where I live I also cheer for gangs: for them to crash and burn.

brap

Banned
He must be so grateful for having a gangs around as some of his latest posts showed. Don't know if he was part of one in the past or not. But here where I live I also cheer for gangs: for them to crash and burn.
Wow he must be such a hard badass from the hood! Oh wait he's some dude that whines one the internet and likes getting pegged lmao.

Nymphae

Banned
I don't like that the Yoshi/JordanN thread was deemed unfit for the board after 17 pages of discussions that are still ongoing, and the topic considered off limits. Just my two cents.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like that the Yoshi/JordanN thread was deemed unfit for the board after 17 pages of discussions that are still ongoing, and the topic considered off limits. Just my two cents.
I looked at the last page earlier today, after i noticed the closure.
I'm surprised it lasted that long.
Good riddance.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
What was wrong with it?
Jordan's posts come across as beating a dead horse that has been dead for centuries.
He doesn't seem open to listening to others.
His response to DunDun's comment of barbaric acts is fucked up.
It's not a discussion. Different ideas are being posted, but there's no give and take. He's....well, lets say, hardheaded.
Which isn't a bad thing on its own, but probably is for this topic.

In my opinion.

Tesseract

Banned
jordan only seems interested in truth and doesn't dig into character assassination (insofar as i've seen)

what i saw in that thread was a bunch of people trying to tilt the conversation to make jordan out to be a racist with some kinda eugenics agenda, or that he's an authoritarian, or grossly insistent

it's shameful, just what i saw as i slowly dug through the extraordinary thread content

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Those 17 pages could've been condensed down to half, or even down to a quarter of that size. As far as I see it:

- the premise of the thread could not have been more misguided. Yoshi wanted to go on an ego-trip. This framed the discussion as "Yoshi is going to back up his accusations and prove JordanN is a racist" and instead JordanN walked all over him, convincingly.
- JordanN spent half the time fighting strawman arguments to defend his non-racist honor. Considering the previous point, it makes sense, but it then resulted in him closing his ears and ignoring evidence when people with better arguments than Yoshi's showed up. Anything countering JordanN's evidence was presumed to be smearing him as a racist (which is why he randomly declares "see? No one has proven me to be a racist" a dozen times throughout the thread)
- the end result was JordanN arguing on the tenuous fringes of his theory, unable to define his terms, but unable to be proven a racist, either. The whole thread was fission mailed.

Nymphae

Banned
Well I could understand one topic getting out of hand and locking it up, though I don't personally think that was necessary or called for in this case. But to deem that entire topic unfit for the board rubs me the wrong way.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Well I could understand one topic getting out of hand and locking it up, though I don't personally think that was necessary or called for in this case. But to deem that entire topic unfit for the board rubs me the wrong way.
I don't think the message is that the topic is unfit. Rather, that it was discussed to death and was going around in circles. Pages upon pages of links for any reader to go through and come to their own conclusions.

Nymphae

Banned
I don't think the message is that the topic is unfit. Rather, that it was discussed to death and was going around in circles. Pages upon pages of links for any reader to go through and come to their own conclusions.

He says "until further notice, no racial IQ stuff on Gaf", to me that's deeming the topic off limits. A new thread on the topic would likely be locked ASAP.

Barnabot

Which topic are you talking about?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
He says "until further notice, no racial IQ stuff on Gaf", to me that's deeming the topic off limits. A new thread on the topic would likely be locked ASAP.
Sorry, I think I'm not explaining myself well. The topic of "racial IQ" was discussed to death in that thread and was going around in circles with no headway being made. By page 9 or 10, plenty of information was posted for those who wish to explore the topic further and come to their own conclusions. If there was some new scientific discovery or anthropological study related to the topic, I'm sure it would be allowed to be posted for discussion, but I'm not EviLore EviLore

Nymphae

Banned
Sorry, I think I'm not explaining myself well. The topic of "racial IQ" was discussed to death in that thread and was going around in circles with no headway being made. By page 9 or 10, plenty of information was posted for those who wish to explore the topic further and come to their own conclusions. If there was some new scientific discovery or anthropological study related to the topic, I'm sure it would be allowed to be posted for discussion, but I'm not EviLore EviLore

None of that to me indicates that the entire topic needs to be banned from Gaf. Lots of things have been discussed to death, do we ban them as discussion topics? It wasn't even getting out of hand or anything, people were just frustrated with JordanN. Ok, so if it's a problem with him, warn him, ban him, whatever, but now we have topics off limits until further notice? Can we get a banned topics page next to the banned users page?

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
gotta say that thread overstayed its welcome imo. That's was not about proving whether JordanN is racist or not anymore. Can't say if was really locked because of racial IQ subject though.

It's amazing to me the support that banning things that we don't like gets here. Maybe don't read it?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
None of that to me indicates that the entire topic needs to be banned from Gaf. Lots of things have been discussed to death, do we ban them as discussion topics? It wasn't even getting out of hand or anything, people were just frustrated with JordanN. Ok, so if it's a problem with him, warn him, ban him, whatever, but now we have topics off limits until further notice? Can we get a banned topics page next to the banned users page?
I don't think JordanN broke any rules, even though I definitely got frustrated with him. There are no rules against "politely ignoring counter-evidence and repeating the same standpoints over and over". Perhaps that is a flaw in how GAF operates, or perhaps it is a strength.

I would hate to have a banned topics page, but again that's not my call anyway. 🤷‍♀️ The question is whether or not new information on the topic would be banned. Very little new information (for or against) was being posted in that thread by the time it was closed. Do you think it's okay for topics on sensitive subjects to be closed when it becomes evident the participants are no longer enriching the topic with new information? At a certain point, it becomes more about preserving ego instead of presenting new info for consideration.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I don't think JordanN broke any rules, even though I definitely got frustrated with him. There are no rules against "politely ignoring counter-evidence and repeating the same standpoints over and over". Perhaps that is a flaw in how GAF operates, or perhaps it is a strength.

I would hate to have a banned topics page, but again that's not my call anyway. 🤷‍♀️ The question is whether or not new information on the topic would be banned. Very little new information (for or against) was being posted in that thread by the time it was closed. Do you think it's okay for topics on sensitive subjects to be closed when it becomes evident the participants are no longer enriching the topic with new information? At a certain point, it becomes more about preserving ego instead of presenting new info for consideration.

Would you have preferred the thread stay open or be shut down?

Top Bottom