• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic Launch Game Scores: X360 & PS3 vs. XBO & PS4

I was curious to see how these compared.

XBO list is still missing most third party titles therefore some numbers will be skewed!

==| XBOX 360 |==

Call of Duty 2 - 89 - Console Exclusive
Project Gotham Racing 3 - 88 - Exclusive
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved - 86 - Exclusive - XBLA
Need for Speed: Most Wanted - 85
Condemned: Criminal Origins - 81 - Console Exclusive
NBA 2K6 - 81
Perfect Dark Zero - 81 - Exclusive
Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie - 80
Kameo: Elements of Power - 79 - Exclusive
Hexic HD - 79 - Exclusive - XBLA
Mutant Storm Reloaded - 77 - Exclusive - XBLA
Zuma Deluxe - 77 - XBLA
Outpost Kaloki X - 77 - Exclusive - XBLA
NHL 2K6 - 75
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland - 75
Quake 4 - 75 - Console Exclusive
Gun - 75
Ridge Racer 6 - 74 - Exclusive
Madden NFL 06 - 74
Amped 3 - 72 - Exclusive
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 - 71
Bewjeled 2 Deluxe - 69 - Console Exclusive - XBLA
Joust - 68
Bankshot Billiards 2 - 65 - Exclusive - XBLA
Gauntlet - 65 Exclusive - XBLA
NBA Live 06 - 64
FIFA 06: Road to the FIFA World Cup - 62

Total Games: 27
XBLA Games: 8
Console Exclusive Games: 4
Exclusive Games: 10

Average Metascore: 78
Average XBLA Metascore: 74
Average Console Exclusive Metascore: 79
Average Exclusive Metascore: 77

==| PLAYSTATION 3 |==

Resistance: Fall of Man - 86 - Exclusive
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 - 81
NBA 2K7 - 80
Call of Duty 3 - 80
NHL 2K7 - 79
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - 78
Ridge Racer 7 - 78 - Exclusive
Madden NFL 07 - 76
Tony Hawk's Project 8 - 76
Need for Speed Carbon - 75
Blast Factor - 68 - Exclusive - PSN
NBA 07 - 63 - Exclusive
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom - 58 - Exclusive
Genji: Days of the Blade - 55 - Exclusive
Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire - 33 - Exclusive

Total Games: 15
PSN Games: 1
Console Exclusive Games: 0
Exclusive Games: 7

Average Metascore: 71
Average PSN Metascore: 68
Average Console Exclusive Metascore: XX
Average Exclusive Metascore: 63

==| XBOX ONE |==

Forza Motorsport 5 - 82 - Exclusive
Dead Rising 3 - 78 - Exclusive
Call of Duty: Ghosts - 78
Killer Instinct - 73 - Exclusive - XBLA
Zoo Tycoon - 70 - Console Exclusive
Powerstar Golf - 68 - Exclusive - XBLA
Ryse: Son of Rome - 60 - Exclusive
Crimson Dragon - 55 - Exclusive - XBLA
LocoCycle - 48 - Exclusive - XBLA

Total Games: 9
XBLA Games: 4
Console Exclusive Games: 1

Average Metascore: 68
Average XBLA Metascore: 61
Average Console Exclusive Metascore: 70
Average Exclusive Metascore: 66
==| PLAYSTATION 4 |==

flower - 92 - Exclusive - PSN
FIFA 14 - 88
Battlefield 4 - 87
NBA 2K14 - 85
Need for Speed: Rivals - 84
Resogun - 83 - Exclusive - PSN
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - 82
Call of Duty: Ghosts - 78
Madden NFL 25 - 78
Killzone: Shadow Fall - 73 - Exclusive
Super Motherload - 73 - Exclusive - PSN
Contrast - 64 - PSN
Knack - 56 - Exclusive
NBA Live 14 - 45

Total Games: 14
PSN Games: 4
Exclusive Games: 5

Average Metascore: 76
Average PSN Metascore: 78
Average Exclusive Metascore: 75

Is there anything to take away from this, or is just a bunch of useless numbers? Clearly the XBO numbers aren't finished yet, but it looks almost as if Sony and Microsoft swapped places in terms of aggregate numbers. Where the 360 was sitting in the 70s for every calculation, the PS3 was in the 60s, and now that seems to have been flipped.

I apologize if I've fudged any of the numbers. I'll update any errors later today (assuming this thread has any worthwhile traction), and I'll add the rest of the XBO games once the reviews are posted.

Kanck? I know it was just a typo. However, there should be a game called Kanckle which is about the quest to find socks that don't make your calves look like a tube of cookie dough.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
big 3rd party games mostly missing has impact to xbox average score.
wait for FIFA, NfS and so on scores to get a better picture.

Isn't Contrast a console exclusive for PS4?

And with multiplats thrown in, it doesn' tlook like there will be much of a difference at all.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I'm not sure what a console exclusive game is in your stats if kill zone shadow fall is not one.

FranXico

Comparing X1 and PS4 games scores will only be remotely useful at least one year down the line, when both systems have a large enough library.

FuuRe

I think it would be fair to compare the same number of games for each platform, statistics is not my thing but this seems kinda uneven

A totally worthless comparison at the moment.

Can't make the comparison until reviews for NFS and AC are out there. Both will score highly on the Bone.

Yes, hence the highlighted sentence that I'll add them as soon as they're posted. There's plenty of data that's still accurate without them.

Metacritic. Why?

Metacritic matters to a lot of people. It matters enough to big companies to actively cite them in fiscal reports, etc.

It's not an endorsement of MC.

I was looking at the PS3 launch list and it seemed like complete crap. But wasn't Motorstorm at the launch too?

Nope. March, and yes, the PS3's first couple of years were impressively terrible.

A console warrior has to fight the war any way he can.

Please get out of here with that stupid shit.

Just copy the review scores of games on PS4.

People would have complained that it's not accurate, I would have been called a fanboy (guess that happened anyway), and so on.

Bgamer90

Banned
Pretty useless comparison without multiplat games on the Xbox One.

Overall though you could probably copy and paste the review scores for PS4 multiplats. Shouldn't be much difference in scores.

Huggers

It's just one review, all other reviews gave the same score to both versions. The difference will be max 0.1 (using metacritic).

Guess time will tell. Seems odd the Xbox reviews are still absent considering it launches tomorrow. Ryse's especially late embargo has made me suspicious

Toxa

Total Games: 9
XBLA Games: 4
Console Exclusive Games: 1

Average Metascore: 68
Average XBLA Metascore: 61
Average Console Exclusive Metascore: 70
Average Exclusive Metascore: 66

Total Games: 14
PSN Games: 4
Exclusive Games: 5

Average Metascore: 76
Average PSN Metascore: 78
Average Exclusive Metascore: 75

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

Tiberius

It's just one review, all other reviews gave the same score to both versions. The difference will be max 0.1 (using metacritic).
in the past i remember ps3 version getting inferior scores because nothing was justifying the difference in price

Yes, hence the highlighted sentence that I'll add them as soon as they're posted. There's plenty of data that's still accurate without them.

LOL. You're trying to reach a conclusion on average console metacritics when you don't have the numbers to 5 third party games that will receive averages in the 80s like they have on the PS4.

Let's not act like you don't know what you're doing, Mr. Console Warrior.

Bgamer90

Banned
When adding in review scores for PS4 multiplats, I got an overall score of 77 for the Xbox One.

So 77 for Xbox One vs. 76 for PS4. Even Steven.

angrygnat

Just watched Gametrailers review of KZSF. There was an avalanche of ill will towards that game at the start but it seems like it's winning people over. 8.8 ain't hay brother. Those 5/10 scores were head scratchers as I always thought for a game to get that bad of a score would almost have to be unplayable or have technical problems. KZSF technically works great (so I'm told) but under delivers on multiplayer and has some stupid levels later in the game. Does that make it busted? Guess I have to buy it to find out. It has resparked my interest. Any ideas why KZSF spawned so much hate early on? Fanboys? Over hyped? Bad game?

You're missing some PS4 games:

DC Universe
Blacklight
Warframe
Sound Shapes

Though I'd argue that remakes like Flower and Sound Shapes being included starts to muddy the point.

JimiNutz

Banned
Once 3rd parties are up Xbox One will probably have a better average score.
Xbox One seems to have more AAA exclusives at launch too.

I dunno, it seems like looking at these scores and the games, people were a more lenient and forgiving with bad games. I mean King Kong a 80? Really? Imagine if that game come out today like that (better visuals obviously).

And that Perfect Dark score? Compare the game to Killzone Shadow Fall which is nothing special but a hell of a better game than Perfect Dark on 360 was.

People today have higher expectations and maybe matured with gaming. Its interesting but the scores aren't really an accurate reflection of the games themselves. They show how the industry has grown up (a bit at least).

Then why even post this today? Do it next week.

I had just made it, decided to share it instead of simply deleting it. The third party reviews have got to be out soon, the system launches in less than 24 hours. I'll add them then, of course.

And again, there's lots of accurate data in there that doesn't rely on those numbers at all.

You can compare the PS3 and PS4 launches for example.

LOL. You're trying to reach a conclusion on average console metacritics when you don't have the numbers to 5 third party games that will receive averages in the 80s like they have on the PS4.

Let's not act like you don't know what you're doing, Mr. Console Warrior.

Incredible.

P.S. I know Ryse has jumped a point to 61, I'll update that accordingly later today/tomorrow along with the rest of the XBO games, assuming they release those reviews soon.

genbatzu

tbh, i don't really care about the launch line up... the ps3 has shown, that it gets more and better exclusives over time than xbox 360... even after PS4 announcement sony delivered exclusives for PS3

i googl'd this comparison chart of console exclusives 2010 till early 2013 the coloured bolder around a game is the meta critic score colour. (grey = no score, because no reviews at time of this chart):

click the image for a waaaay bigger image~

missing on this list are the following PS3 exclusives:

kingdom hearts 1.5 HD remix
sly cooper thieves in time
ratchet & clank: into the nexus
final fantasy x hd
final fantasy x-2 hd
rain

tl;dr: even if the launch line up is weak, over time the games will come and they will be awesome.

count yourself

xbox 360 exclusives: 12
ps3 exclusives: 62

kinect exclusives: 42
pseye exclusives: 20

Top Bottom