• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skullface

I'll have to check the tour cities. I saw them in Philadelphia in 2004. Awesome show. I haven't been to any concert in years. I think Genesis in 2007 was my last concert.

Prog rock fan huh? I actually saw Rush on their last tour. Unfortunately, I got black out drunk and don't remember much of the show, which sucks because I didn't really get to see the string arrangement. I do remember Subdivisions though. GOAT.

Rean

SMTIV's world map is literally the only reason I haven't beaten it yet.

edit: The guy got banned that shareplayed with that kid.

Prog rock fan huh? I actually saw Rush on their last tour. Unfortunately, I got black out drunk and don't remember much of the show, which sucks because I didn't really get to see the string arrangement. I do remember Subdivisions though. GOAT.
In 6th grade when I started getting in to music I was obsessed with Yes.

JayEH

Just the got the platinum so I'd figure I'd write what I thought about that.

Story is very lackluster and super predictable throughout. No character really stands out as they are all very standard. Ending was weak as well. As I said before, the presentation in this game is mind blowing. The setting, the graphics, the voice acting, the architecture, etc. is all top notch. The gameplay though is eh.... The game very much is stop and go with the action like I noted earlier. It's very weird. And what's there isn't very good either to be honest. It's a very standard cover shooter but I was hoping the unique weapons could save it. I was wrong. There aren't many unique weapons, you don't get to use them often, and they're not very...unique. As far as game length goes I think it was fine though I can see not wanting to spend $60 on the game. It wasn't short, wasn't long. Length felt right for what they were accomplishing. The real issue is the lack of any meaningful replay value. No unlock able modes, cool costumes, cheats, etc. Got the platinum real quick and once you d0 that, might as put the disc away for good.

Though the game wasn't great, I still highly enjoyed it. It has its identity figured out with its world building, they just need to find it for gameplay. I will say it is refreshing to play through an 6-10 hr story driven game and not have it filled with upgrade bars and skill trees. I'm so sick of RPG mechanics in every game that this is a breath of fresh air.

6.5/10

Skullface

In 6th grade when I started getting in to music I was obsessed with Yes.

There's this incredible Rush cover band called Lotus Land that I've seen a few times. When ever they play Working Man they incorporate a Yes medley. They're based out of Massachusetts, but they get around the country. You should check them out if you ever get the chance. Also, you have impecible taste.

Rean

Just the got the platinum so I'd figure I'd write what I thought about that.

Story is very lackluster and super predictable throughout. No character really stands out as they are all very standard. Ending was weak as well. As I said before, the presentation in this game is mind blowing. The setting, the graphics, the voice acting, the architecture, etc. is all top notch. The gameplay though is eh.... The game very much is stop and go with the action like I noted earlier. It's very weird. And what's there isn't very good either to be honest. It's a very standard cover shooter but I was hoping the unique weapons could save it. I was wrong. There aren't many unique weapons, you don't get to use them often, and they're not very...unique. As far as game length goes I think it was fine though I can see not wanting to spend $60 on the game. It wasn't short, wasn't long. Length felt right for what they were accomplishing. The real issue is the lack of any meaningful replay value. No unlock able modes, cool costumes, cheats, etc. Got the platinum real quick and once you d0 that, might as put the disc away for good.

Though the game wasn't great, I still highly enjoyed it. It has its identity figured out with its world building, they just need to find it for gameplay. I will say it is refreshing to play through an 6-10 hr story driven game and not have it filled with upgrade bars and skill trees. I'm so sick of RPG mechanics in every game that this is a breath of fresh air.

6.5/10
Good review.

Rean

This game's presentation caught me a bit off guard at first. Everything from Ness waking up in the middle of the night to the sound of police sirens off in the distance is great. It adds a sense of mystery and unexpectedness you don't see from most games. The visuals and the detail in the game are also great as well. The dialogue in the game is also quite unusual as some of the police officers are somewhat strange when Ness talks to them, and your parents begin to talk to you like you're going on an epic journey even though you were only asked to do a simple task. The battle system is standard RPG fair so far, and even that can be unusual as well as some of your party members don't help you in some cases. The music and sound in general is very good and the detail, down to the muffled sound of door knocking changing as you traverse the house is excellent. The story is also a bit bizarre and darker then the usual games you see from nintendo. All in all this game has a unique charm to it, and I look forward to playing more.

I don't normally do things like this at all, but you guys posting your impressions on games motivated me to do this. That and I'm pretty bored at the moment.

JayEH

This game's presentation caught me a bit off guard at first. Everything from Ness waking up in the middle of the night to the sound of police sirens off in the distance is great. It adds a sense of mystery and unexpectedness you don't see from most games. The visuals and the detail in the game are also great as well. The dialogue in the game is also quite unusual as some of the police officers are somewhat strange when Ness talks to them, and your parents begin to talk to you like you're going on an epic journey even though you were only asked to do a simple task. The battle system is standard RPG fair so far, and even that can be unusual as well as some of your party members don't help you in some cases. The music and sound in general is very good and the detail, down to the muffled sound of door knocking changing as you traverse the house is excellent. The story is also a bit bizarre and darker then the usual games you see from nintendo. All in all this game has a unique charm to it, and I look forward to playing more.

I don't normally do things like this at all, but you guys posting your impressions on games motivated me to do this. That and I'm pretty bored at the moment.

I've never played earthbound before but I probably will at some point. Everyone on Gaf wants Mother 3 to come out here so it must have something to it. I have very little experience with games pre PS1 though since the only console I've ever had for that era was a Genesis. I'm not sure I will be able to handle the way games used to be pre PS1 to be honest lol.

Rean

I've never played earthbound before but I probably will at some point. Everyone on Gaf wants Mother 3 to come out here so it must have something to it. I have very little experience with games pre PS1 though since the only console I've ever had for that era was a Genesis. I'm not sure I will be able to handle the way games used to be pre PS1 to be honest lol.
I'm the same way the only things I had growing up were the PS1, Gameboy, Game Gear, and some PC games. Last year I actually set out to play old games like this. I recently beat Super Metroid for the first time, and got into Zelda with OoT 3D. With club nintendo discontinuing I saw this and Super Mario World and redeemed them. Same with Metal Gear, I saw TPP, bought the Legacy collection and marathoned the series because I wanted to get into it. People on Gaf hyping up games like this is usually what motivates me to play them. That and I like going back and playing things I've never tried before. I didn't even think about playing Persona until I started to hear people talk about how good it is.

Rean

What do you think of OoT, Rean?
I enjoyed it. All of the dungeons were fun except the water temple which felt like a chore, and is still confusing as hell. Link and sheik are now my favorite nintendo characters next to samus now. I like the items like the hookshot and bow esspecially with the 3DS camera control. I also see where Jay's coming from when he says he doesn't think he can play old games because I got stuck in this game several times, Navi is fine, I just tune her out. The final boss fight is easier then some of the previous bosses, but the finale is still great. I ended up buying TP and WW HD because of this game too. Sheik is the shit.

9/10

Palpable

Got a bit of a dilemma here. EDIT: I guess I don't?

Not sure how many of you saw my prior threads (1st one locked, 2nd one deleted), but my ex and I had a nasty break up which threw me into a spiral of depression. The break up happened on Nov. 20th. My ex hates me now due to shit I did/said after the break up due to my depression/grief. What made it all worse is that she ended up dating some other guy like 2 weeks after said break up and already lives with him. He was clearly the real reason for said break up. She wanted to pursue him. To put things in perspective, we were a very serious couple, totally planning on marriage, etc. To the point that her whole family was waiting on me to propose.

Fast forwards exactly 3 months; Feb. 20th. This girl I met online in 2010 whom I used to like, but kept stringing me along and had some bad habits, ends up texting me out of nowhere. Reason her & I stopped talking is because when my ex and I first got together in the summer of 2013, she knew I liked this other girl and saw how pretty she is (she really is super hot) and made me quit talking to her. I didn't mind, because I was tired of this hot girl's shit.

Anyway, she (hot girl) texts me, wondering how I'm doing, etc. We both catch up and she is understanding. I also explain to her about how I'm not naive to her games anymore. She acknowledges that she was a total cunt and was in a bad place years ago, but has grown up. Keep in mind I only met this girl once in person. She's only 2-3 hours drive away from me.

On the flip side, there is a girl I've been talking to from okcupid. We ended up exchanging numbers. However, she doesn't text me very much. I threw around the idea of hanging out in person. She seemed to think that'd be cool, but hasn't responded beyond that (been hours).

Anyway, this is the first time in a long time that I'm too distracted to torture myself with thoughts of my ex. I think I'm slowly getting over her thanks to talking to several pretty ladies, having finally sold my other car (pain in the ass it was), and a possible job prospect.

I don't really know what my question is, if I even ever had one. I just had to get this shit off my chest.

That chick my ex got all insecure about seriously is hot as fuck.

nudity.jpg

EDIT:

Not sure how many of you saw my prior threads (1st one locked, 2nd one deleted), but my ex and I had a nasty break up which threw me into a spiral of depression. The break up happened on Nov. 20th. My ex hates me now due to shit I did/said after the break up due to my depression/grief. What made it all worse is that she ended up dating some other guy like 2 weeks after said break up and already lives with him. He was clearly the real reason for said break up. She wanted to pursue him. To put things in perspective, we were a very serious couple, totally planning on marriage, etc. To the point that her whole family was waiting on me to propose.

Fast forwards exactly 3 months; Feb. 20th. This girl I met online in 2010 whom I used to like, but kept stringing me along and had some bad habits, ends up texting me out of nowhere. Reason her & I stopped talking is because when my ex and I first got together in the summer of 2013, she knew I liked this other girl and saw how pretty she is (she really is super hot) and made me quit talking to her. I didn't mind, because I was tired of this hot girl's shit.

Anyway, she (hot girl) texts me, wondering how I'm doing, etc. We both catch up and she is understanding. I also explain to her about how I'm not naive to her games anymore. She acknowledges that she was a total cunt and was in a bad place years ago, but has grown up. Keep in mind I only met this girl once in person. She's only 2-3 hours drive away from me.

On the flip side, there is a girl I've been talking to from okcupid. We ended up exchanging numbers. However, she doesn't text me very much. I threw around the idea of hanging out in person. She seemed to think that'd be cool, but hasn't responded beyond that (been hours).

Anyway, this is the first time in a long time that I'm too distracted to torture myself with thoughts of my ex. I think I'm slowly getting over her thanks to talking to several pretty ladies, having finally sold my other car (pain in the ass it was), and a possible job prospect.

I don't really know what my question is, if I even ever had one. I just had to get this shit off my chest.

Why not both? At this time your entitled to do whatever that makes you feel better so go for both and stick with what makes you happy. Hopefully you are in a better place now.

Lernaean

Banned
I enjoyed it. All of the dungeons were fun except the water temple which felt like a chore, and is still confusing as hell. Link and sheik are now my favorite nintendo characters next to samus now. I like the items like the hookshot and bow esspecially with the 3DS camera control. I also see where Jay's coming from when he says he doesn't think he can play old games because I got stuck in this game several times, Navi is fine, I just tune her out. The final boss fight is easier then some of the previous bosses, but the finale is still great. I ended up buying TP and WW HD because of this game too. Sheik is the shit.

9/10

I'm glad you liked it. There are three game series i got myself chin-deep all those years of gaming, they are the most important series in gaming for me and i hoard everything about them.
One is obviously Metal Gear, another one is Resident Evil.
The one that remains is Legend of Zelda.
You did good getting WWHD, it has its own special charm, and most days I'd tell you it's my favorite 3D Zelda.
Enjoy.

Also @ Infinity Patriot: It's standard practice that the best way to get over a lost love is getting another. Same with doges, sadly.
Reboot your life and you'll feel better, just don't let any chick's craziness, no matter how hot she is, get you on a downward spiral now that you're still fragile.
You enjoy too.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

As someone who went through a similar situation i can agree that this helps a lot. With time eventually the pain will go away. Trust me. :)

Glad to hear you're moving on, or at least in the mindset to do so. Not that you are directly asking for advice, but I would agree with Death Metalist and simply do what you feel without getting too committed into something long term. Let yourself feel free to date, since you are more than able to do so, and go ahead and see where either one goes. Use caution with the super hot chick though, since despite her saying she's grown up, remember "old habits die hard" so keep that in mind if you pursue her.

And remember that you are worth it. Don't let any other woman or man make you think otherwise.

JayEH

Sorry to hear about that. My last breakup was tough too (there was another guy involved for me as well). As far as the girls go, seems like you're in a somewhat similar position for both of them since you don't know either one well. Doesn't seem like you can go wrong unless the hot one keeps giving you shit.

Well whatever you end up doing, glad to hear things are getting better. They will continue to, just takes time man.

Also @ Infinity Patriot: It's standard practice that the best way to get over a lost love is getting another. Same with doges, sadly.
Reboot your life and you'll feel better, just don't let any chick's craziness, no matter how hot she is, get you on a downward spiral now that you're still fragile.
You enjoy too.

:(

My dog is turning 7 this year. He has about a 10-12 year life expectancy. Nobody close in my family has died yet and he will most likely be the first. I've been thinking about how I will deal with him dying a lot lately. It's super weird.

Rean

I'm glad you liked it. There are three game series i got myself chin-deep all those years of gaming, they are the most important series in gaming for me and i hoard everything about them.
One is obviously Metal Gear, another one is Resident Evil.
The one that remains is Legend of Zelda.
You did good getting WWHD, it has its own special charm, and most days I'd tell you it's my favorite 3D Zelda.
Enjoy.

You enjoy too.
Pretty funny you said Resident Evil because I also got into that recently. The only one I've played before was 5, but I bought REmaster, RE4, Code Veronica, and RE6 from that sale recently. After playing RE1 it 's probably one of my favorite games ever and that's coming from someone that doesn't like scary games. I know Code Veronica and RE6 aren't the best of the series, but I wanted to give them a chance either way.

Lernaean

Banned

My dog is turning 7 this year. He has about a 10-12 year life expectancy. Nobody close in my family has died yet and he will most likely be the first. I've been thinking about how I will deal with him dying a lot lately. It's super weird.

Mine is 5, and yeah i know what you mean, I've found myself thinking about it too.
He is not just a family member, he is the best buddy i have, we wake up together, eat together, sleep together, i don't even want to think about it man, and you shouldn't either.

Recently my moms doge passed. He was pretty old and had a few health issues, it's for the best, but it made me rethink about mine and it depressed me. Now mom got a new puppy. She still goes to the garden where the previous yorkie is buried and spends some time there, it was after all 13 years, but she seems to get over it and feeling better now.
What can you do, circle of this blasted life man, gotta go with it.

Only thing i can tell you, and myself really, is that i hope they break the damn charts and live as much as possible to give us more excellent moments, and we must make sure that the little life they got is a damn good one.

Pretty funny you said Resident Evil because I also got into that recently. The only one I've played before was 5, but I bought REmaster, RE4, Code Veronica, and RE6 from that sale recently. After playing RE1 it 's probably one of my favorite games ever and that's coming from someone that doesn't like scary games. I know Code Veronica and RE6 aren't the best of the series, but I wanted to give them a chance either way.

REmaster and RE4 are godlike, i mean, RE4 is my GoAT, i can't stretch enough how good those two are.
RE6 is a different beast. If you are open, it may turn out to be one of the best action games you've ever played, really.
There is one thing i say all the time. RE stopped being a paranormal, zombie, horror game after RE1, in the case of Remake, you can even say it stopped midway through the game.
The game is really called Biohazard, and it is for a reason. They always wanted it to be about illegal experimentation, sci-fi, bodyhorror and over the top, typical Capcom characters, and it really is since RE2.
So if you stop thinking about it not being a pure horror game, and take RE6 for what it is, which is a sci-fi, bodyhorror action game that deals with illegal experimentation and bio-terrorism, then RE6 is one of the best of the series.
I suggest you read the GAF thread and guide on it, because its gameplay is great but kinda cryptic, but once you get the hang of it, you'll keep begging for more.

JayEH

Just pre ordered Revelations 2. I've played 4,5, and Revelations 1 so far. I bought REmake but haven't got very deep I think. I've tried getting into RE6 but can't for some reason. I'll try again but something wasn't jiving with me. I'll definitely start RE2 one of these days but hopefully by the time I get around to seriously considering playing it, Capcom will have already announced a remake.

Lernaean

Banned
Just pre ordered Revelations 2. I've played 4,5, and Revelations 1 so far. I bought REmake but haven't got very deep I think. I've tried getting into RE6 but can't for some reason. I'll try again but something wasn't jiving with me. I'll definitely start RE2 one of these days but hopefully by the time I get around to seriously considering playing it, Capcom will have already announced a remake.

For anyone trying to get into RE6, this post is essential. Don't even try playing it without reading and understanding this first, I'm serious.
Simplest piece of advice? RE6 does not play like a cover shooter, it plays like Vanquish.

JayEH

For anyone trying to get into RE6, this post is essential. Don't even try playing it without reading and understanding this first, I'm serious.
Simplest piece of advice? RE6 does not play like a cover shooter, it plays like Vanquish.

Holy shit. Didn't know half these things existed. Da fuck is Capcom is doing?

You are both wrong. FC 2 is by far the best game in the series.

It's the most interesting but it has a lot of problems.

Ooh? Paint me curious. Arent REs clunky as hell though?

PS1 era ones are from my experience.

Akiller

Hi Brothers.

Same here, and mine is 13. Just the thought of it totally wrecks me ;__;

SJRB

Gold Member
You are both wrong. FC 2 is by far the best game in the series.

FC2 has a lot of good concepts but really needed more development time. There is a LOT wrong with it in terms of basic gameplay mechanics.

The setting is probably the most interesting of the four games.

Lernaean

Banned
Ooh? Paint me curious. Arent REs clunky as hell though?

I wouldn't call them clunky. Capcom had allowed themselves to use an unwieldy control scheme for a while, keep in mind than in the case of the entries that use a set camera, it really adds to the horror. The newer entries use a more free-flow control scheme.
I personally find tank-controls prehistoric and wouldn't want them back in a third-person RE, but i wouldn't play a set camera RE without them either.

Holy shit. Didn't know half these things existed. Da fuck is Capcom is doing?

Eh, i can't say you are wrong there. Capcom did an awful job getting people to know how the game plays. But their devs did a great job with the controls.
Get familiar with this guide and give RE6 another shot. It'll be a brand new game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom