• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising's lead platform is PS3

Orayn

This will certainly assuage some fears for PS3 owners who were unhappy with Platinum's previous efforts on the platform.
..But I'm still bummed about the PC version getting the boot.

Muffdraul

Good. Another Vanquish situation.

Which means the PS3 version won't upscale to 1080, even forced. Which sucks for people like me who own 1080p TVs with lousy built-in upscaling. i.e. Bravia. I bought Vanquish for PS3 and ended up exchanging it for the 360 version. I didn't notice much of a difference aside from the 360 version looking better on my TV... which is the case across the board for any and all cross-platform games that won't upscale on the PS3 for whatever reason. e.g. Portal 2, LA Noire...

jackdoe

I don't really think it was in any doubt. Especially since Vanquish's development ended with platform parity for all intents and purposes.

Pejo

happy to hear this because of how well Vanquish turned out. I double dipped for PS3 and 360 and can say they were both great. Very pumped for this game!

ArjanN

Bring it to PC. lololol

They sad part is they could still port Bayonetta or Vanquish and they wouldn't have aged at all.
If it's still profitable for Remedy to port Alan Wake, I'm sure those could still make money as well. Not that it's going to happen.

I think there's still a small chance of Revengeance for PC though. They haven't said they're not doing it anymore (or the Vita version for that matter), and with multtplatform releases it's pretty common for them to dance around the existance of a PC version.

Satchel

Banned

I believe he means that it's kind of irrelevant in many cases, and if anything, if viewed from a certain angle, it could be seen as a back handed compliment.

"Hey, we're making your platform the lead platform!!!
because your console is shitty to develop for and we want to make sure we don't completely fuck it up because we already know we can whip up a port on the other platform quicker, easier and cheaper
"

I believe he means that it's kind of irrelevant in many cases, and if anything, if viewed from a certain angle, it could be seen as a back handed compliment.

"Hey, we're making your platform the lead platform!!!
because your console is shitty to develop for and we want to make sure we don't completely fuck it up because we already know we can whip up a port on the other platform quicker, easier and cheaper
"

Honestly, I can't see people being insulted by this. I'm sure people who only own a PS3 and not a 360 have accepted it by this point (including me).

It is irrelevant a lot of the time, but in this case it's important just because no one wants another PS3 Bayonetta.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Lead platform is such an e-peen kind of thing.

Not really. It generally bodes well for both versions when PS3 is the lead since it's easier to port over to 360 instead of vice versa. Everyone wins when PS3 is the lead, like with Vanquish or console BF3. All this means is that the versions will be pretty close in parity to each other.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
read: 360 version will be gimped because of PS3.

Troll+Face+Emoticon2.jpg

C-Jo

The 360 controllers you see in the Truth Behind Rising documentary video are connected to PCs on their development platform. It is easier to use 360 controllers natively on the PC than to use PS3 controllers. That is the only reason.
I said something along these lines in the last thread and nobody listened. :p

lead version PS3

best version would have been PC

Actually for QA purposes it makes much more sense to lead on consoles, even for games that end up being much prettier with more effects and better textures etc. on the PC.

And, as has been said before, the actual game development DOES take place on a PC.

Fox Engine is X360 compatible too. I believe everything from KojiPro from now on will be PS360 and Vita.

I'm talking about this

14:09: The new game is an original title. He won't share further details, though.

14:09: They hope to have the same quality between the two versions and launch at the same time.

14:09: The goal is to develop and release a game simultaneously on Vita and PS3. This is the game that Kojima Productions is making on the Fox Engine.

14:08: Kojima moves on to step 3.

http://andriasang.com/comy5l/

(._.)

Banned
Actually for QA purposes it makes much more sense to lead on consoles, even for games that end up being much prettier with more effects and better textures etc. on the PC.

And, as has been said before, the actual game development DOES take place on a PC.

I was talking about the final product we would all be playing.

Alx

Bayonetta was developed only on the 360 at Platinum Games, while Vanquish was developed internally to be multiplatform. Since Vanquish, Platinum Games' engine has been designed to handle both PS3 and 360 versions of games, and the PS3 platform is always the lead platform to ensure there are minimal differences between both versions.

The 360 controllers you see in the Truth Behind Rising documentary video are connected to PCs on their development platform. It is easier to use 360 controllers natively on the PC than to use PS3 controllers. That is the only reason.

The lead platform for Rising is the PS3.

So, lead platform PS3, lead controller 360. ;)

Actually that's a real question : do they playtest the games on development kits, or only on the console platforms ?

I had no doubt about this. Now everyone can be sure there will never be a Bayonetta PS3 situation again.

It has been said and repeated, but you can't use Bayonetta as an indicator of Platinum's skills at porting to PS3, since the port was handled by Sega. We don't know what their own port of Bayonetta would have looked like (probably at least better than the one we got, since they were quite angry at Sega about it).
It still makes sense to avoid such difficulty by leading on PS3, though.

Top Bottom