• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

metal gear solid 3

nitewulf

i love this game. i just beat it a few days ago. i went into it without any hype from you pathetic f*ckers. and i loved it.

i'll have to buy a ps3 for mgs4. **** yeah.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Did you play snake eater vanilla, or subsistence?

RyuHayate

nitewulf said:
i love this game. i just beat it a few days ago. i went into it without any hype from you pathetic f*ckers. and i loved it.

i'll have to buy a ps3 for mgs4. **** yeah.

Oh, man, that comment really doesn't sit well with my low self-esteem. What are you trying to do?!

nitewulf

TheTrin said:
Did you play snake eater vanilla, or subsistence?
vanilla...i bought it a while ago...dont play games much. even a stunning game like RE4 couldnt keep my attention for long. but i fored myself to play mgs3 over the weekend and i was back man...only game i finished in a long, long time.

Grayman

great game, made perfect by subsistance. I almost wish I played it that way from the start. If you had mgs3s did you try online? it was awesome for the first week before people were good.

I have a hard time giving a game a 9 or above, that near perfect. I's say 8.5 The constant breaks in the action to change ammo and Pick bullets out of my back were extensive, and not welcome. BUT the story and gameplay were outstanding IMO. I had sooo much fun, even on several replays. I have subsistence and the new camera rocks even more, but 8.5 is what I would givbe the original

If you bought the hype in the end, why the **** are you bitching about the people who hyped it?!?!?

nitewulf

well i'd give it a 9. i mean the gameplay is flawed, but the storytelling is phenomenal...the emotions running through, the ending, the sheer awesomeness of big boss (in fact i want him back sometime).

if you like shenmue and dont like metal gear...you have mental problems. i urge all old school sega fans to play and beat mgs3, you know who you are.

nitewulf said:
the sheer awesomeness of big boss (in fact i want him back sometime).

metal-gear-solid-portable-ops-20060509081012221.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'd give subsistence a 9.9/10, not even taking into account the tons of extra stuff that comes with the release.

The .1 deduction from the minor hassle of frequent menu navigation for camo, healing, and eating.

The PS2-bending graphics, the refined action/stealth gameplay, the excellent scaling of the difficulty levels....the attention to detail in EVERYTHING from having a radio conversation for every single food and gun and item to the variety of ways to tackle each scenario...that if you think "hey, it'd be cool if you could do x and y would happen," AND IT ACTUALLY WILL in MGS3 (like when The End is being wheeled away).

It's just unfathomable in how much care was put into this game. I'm STILL hearing about cool things you can do that I never knew about across multiple playthroughs. My console game of the generation.

nitewulf

for me, its the lone fact that i actually BEAT a game...forget all the details of subsistance...cause no way in hell can i sit through all that. good to know though, perhaps i should have gotten that instead.

seriously, the story was so tight and well told...after the complete crap that was mgs2, i was in awe. and i mean it, i went into it w/o any hype. the best way to play a game.

ps2 bending graphics? hell yeah. the last fight? are you ****ing kidding me? was that real?? the fight with the end? the most awesome shit i ever played!! it was like playing a movie...i mean, i knew exaactly what to do, and i did it, AND IT WORKED!!!!

and after playing it, plane jane solid snake seems soooooo lame...**** that bastard. bring back big boss.

didnt realize portable ops will have him as the protagonist, great psp purchase redeemed. will go again, w/o any hype.

Grayman

^the game does have a lot of stuff to do for sure. (directed at #16)
you can blow up the ammo or food supplies
blow up that helicopter after a long conversation to call it a hind, after this there are supposedly less in the desert.
shoot hornets nests onto people.
use hornets nests to avoid damage from the pain's bees.

tons of attention to detail.

nitewulf said:
didnt realize portable ops will have him as the protagonist, great psp purchase redeemed. will go again, w/o any hype.

Kojima said that if it does well enough that they'll continue with them. Could be BB's story or possibly other characters in the series. Here's hoping they get around to doing The Boss' WW2 storyline.

I paid somewhere around $90 for Subsistence LE and didn't play it more than 1 hour maybe. And I only beat Snake Eater once... for comparision, I beat MGS2 more than 15 times... . what have I become? :(

EviLore said:
I'd give subsistence a 9.9/10, not even taking into account the tons of extra stuff that comes with the release.

The .1 deduction from the minor hassle of frequent menu navigation for camo, healing, and eating.

The PS2-bending graphics, the refined action/stealth gameplay, the excellent scaling of the difficulty levels....the attention to detail in EVERYTHING from having a radio conversation for every single food and gun and item to the variety of ways to tackle each scenario...that if you think "hey, it'd be cool if you could do x and y would happen," AND IT ACTUALLY WILL in MGS3 (like when The End is being wheeled away).

It's just unfathomable in how much care was put into this game. I'm STILL hearing about cool things you can do that I never knew about across multiple playthroughs. My console game of the generation.

Perfectly said.

This thread has inspired me to give MGS3 a run again this weekend.

Hunter D

The game has great gameplay, but I have to knock the score down because the game is plot driven yet the plot doesn't come together well at all. The poor dialog also adds to the problems.

To me the dialogue is about as good as I've ever heard in a game. I guess I just have different ideas of what good/bad dialogue is, but I thought it was extremely well written. I also don't see how the story didn't come together well. But hey, I've been here and done this with this game before. Different strokes for different folks I guess. :)

mikeGFG

Banned
7/10

+Awesome presentation
+Great graphics
+Interesting plot

-Dated gameplay
-Unwieldly mechanics and button configurations
-Stamina/Healing/Hunting hurt the flow of the game

Mugen

Banned
Naked Snake said:
I paid somewhere around $90 for Subsistence LE and didn't play it more than 1 hour maybe. And I only beat Snake Eater once... for comparision, I beat MGS2 more than 15 times... . what have I become? :(

A rapist.

jenov4

My game of this generation and probably my top game of all time. I love it totally and I can't wait for MGS4. ;)

Ranger X

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance is simply the best Metal Gear to ever grace humanity and one of the best game ever made.

Full support. And go buy it you fool who didn't played yet. (unless you don't like stealth)

keanerie

Mike G.E.D. said:
7/10

+Awesome presentation
+Great graphics
+Interesting plot

-Dated gameplay

My thoughts exactly. Excellent game, but didn't strike me the way it has most people. Found it a bit cumbersome in terms of mechanics.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Mike G.E.D. said:
7/10

+Awesome presentation
+Great graphics
+Interesting plot

-Dated gameplay

I actually agree with this.

epoxy

I actually liked that part a lot

really gives you that "survival" feel

Link

The Autumn Wind
Hunter D said:

The game has great gameplay, but I have to knock the score down because the game is plot driven yet the plot doesn't come together well at all. The poor dialog also adds to the problems.
What?! The plot was fantastic. A definite return to form after the convoluted mess of MGS2's plot.

How do you figure it didn't come together well?

Its one of the few games that gets a 10 from me. It is easily one of the greatest games ever made. It is better than MGS1 in every aspect. And its the best PS2 game.

Top Bottom