• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

METAL GEAR SOLID Master Collection Vol.1 won’t support keyboard & mouse on PC

Madonis

I never used a keyboard and mouse setup for this back in the day, so that doesn't bother me.

That said...I can acknowledge the fact that a modern PC port should typically include those options, even if I won't be affected by their absence.

Last edited:
I'm yet to see someone hating that game is playable on controller.

Take Age of Empires II on Xbox as an example. I would never even attempt to seriously play it on a controller but it's good that the option is there.

If they can make RTS playable on a controller then sky is the limit. I personally thought it's impossible.

This is even worse as original ports of MGS were perfectly playable with mouse and keyboard and arguably some aspects like navigating menus or aiming in first person are better with mouse and keyboard. Use scroll wheel to control sneak/walk/run speed and you have a perfectly playable game.
Don't visit Steam forums I assume? Which is fine I wouldn't recommend it :messenger_face_screaming:

Seriously some PC gamers are so out of touch they don't know you can play Stellaris with a Dualsense these days.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Don't visit Steam forums I assume? Which is fine I wouldn't recommend it :messenger_face_screaming:

Seriously some PC gamers are so out of touch they don't know you can play Stellaris with a Dualsense these days.

The bottom line is: options are rarely bad. Konami is lazy and they will be destroyed in reviews. Whole gamepad vs mouse discussion is pointless anyway, it's very much a personal preference.

GreatnessRD

That's an anti-consumer approach. If possible in anyway, both options should be fully installed. And this is coming from a controller player, but if they have the means to add mouse and keyboard support, they should definitely bother.

o7

IC3M@N FX

Neo Member
Mouse & Keyboard make sense for First-Person Shooters, Strategy Games and MMORPGs.
But with the rest of the Games, I see more disadvantages than advantages with life of quality in operation.
You should really be honest that Gamepads are better for third person action adventure games like God of War, Uncharted, Tomb Raider & MGS and many Thrid Person Stealth Games, Hack n' Slay Diablo Style RPG's, JRPG, Racing Games.

Last edited:

ThisIsMyDog

Mouse & Keyboard make sense for First-Person Shooters, Strategy Games and MMORPGs.
But with the rest of the Games, I see more disadvantages than advantages with life of quality in operation.
You should really be honest that Gamepads are better for third person action adventure games like God of War, Uncharted, Tomb Raider & MGS and many Thrid Person Stealth Games, Hack n' Slay Diablo Style RPG's, JRPG, Racing Games.
This is your opinion and nothing more, I personally played God of War with a mouse and keyboard and a lot of other games as i do not like playing with gamepad where i don't need to like sport games, and Uncharted is shooter with third person camera, perfect for mouse....

Releasing a game on PC without M&K support is stupid and i hope this collection will just flop.

IC3M@N FX

Neo Member
This is your opinion and nothing more, I personally played God of War with a mouse and keyboard and a lot of other games as i do not like playing with gamepad where i don't need to like sport games, and Uncharted is shooter with third person camera, perfect for mouse....

Releasing a game on PC without M&K support is stupid and i hope this collection will just flop.
I'm not saying it's completely wrong, it's just better for usability and direct feedback from a Playstation Sense controller or Xbox controller on certain games in the form of vibration.
e.g. b on a block or counter attack you can't do that with a mouse and keyboard, you also lose a lot of immersion, you have to be honest with that, especially with beat'm-ups, racing games and sports games, where things are even more serious.

Last edited:

SHA

Their s take to glorify consoles, I still think Nintendo and Konami share the same mindset, all what's left for them is pulling the trigger and announce acquisition.

IC3M@N FX

Neo Member
Again to add
If someone wants to play certain games with a mouse and keyboard, that's a personal preference.
But telling others that it's ergonomically and gameplay-wise better than a good gamepad in certain games I listed is simply not objective.

ThisIsMyDog

I'm not saying it's completely wrong, it's just better for usability and direct feedback from a Playstation Sense controller or Xbox controller on certain games in the form of vibration.
e.g. b on a block or counter attack you can't do that with a mouse and keyboard, you also lose a lot of immersion, you have to be honest with that, especially with beat'm-ups, racing games and sports games, where things are even more serious.
I played many games on a controller, I have a PS4, I had a Series X for a year until I sold it, and I never ever saw a good use of controller vibration. Look, for me it’s the other way, I have much bigger immersion if I’m playing M&K. When was the last time you played a good beat-'em-up? The best control for racing games is a wheel, for sport games I agree but that’s it. Understand that everything you wrote here is YOUR SUBJECTIVE personal opinion and nothing more. There are millions of players that wouldn’t agree with you. PC is a platform where M&K is the gold standard for playing games and if some release does not support it like MGS collection then it’s just a cash grab and if you want to play it just use an emulator.

IC3M@N FX

Neo Member
I played many games on a controller, I have a PS4, I had a Series X for a year until I sold it, and I never ever saw a good use of controller vibration. Look, for me it’s the other way, I have much bigger immersion if I’m playing M&K. When was the last time you played a good beat-'em-up? The best control for racing games is a wheel, for sport games I agree but that’s it. Understand that everything you wrote here is YOUR SUBJECTIVE personal opinion and nothing more. There are millions of players that wouldn’t agree with you. PC is a platform where M&K is the gold standard for playing games and if some release does not support it like MGS collection then it’s just a cash grab and if you want to play it just use an emulator.
I have a very good gaming PC with a Logitech keyboard & mouse Lightspeed combo.
I am also very happy with it, especially for first person shooters, strategy games and MMORPGs, it is an absolute must and has no alternative.
I also have a PS5, Xbox Series X and Nintendo Switch Oled.
I have played various games with mouse and keyboard on PC, just thrid person games, sports games, racing games, beat'm ups & co it just felt wrong.
Sure there are many people who don't know any other way and prefer to play with mouse & keyboard.
For some games it doesn't make sense in my opinion, but I played Diablo 4 with mouse and keyboard, then out of curiosity with my Xbox Elite controller, after that I never touched the keyboard again.
Just like Street Fighter 6 or Tekken, it makes absolutely no sense to play with mouse and keyboard unless you are hardcore and just like it personally.
But any halfway decent gamer who is really into multiplayer would crush you with a gamepad.

moniker

e.g. b on a block or counter attack you can't do that with a mouse and keyboard, you also lose a lot of immersion, you have to be honest with that ...

This isn't universally true. Having the controller vibrate takes me out of the game. I always turn it off.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Just like Street Fighter 6 or Tekken, it makes absolutely no sense to play with mouse and keyboard unless you are hardcore and just like it personally.
But any halfway decent gamer who is really into multiplayer would crush you with a gamepad.
Aren't there a bunch of fighting controllers that are basically just all buttons ie rearranged keyboards.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Whether or not you think keyboards should be used for games we should have the option. Not including it in the game when the entire fucking game and collection was coded on a PC using a keyboard is asinine & ridiculous. Y'all are just trolling.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Not sure if serious.
Fighting games actually make perfect sense with a keyboard. They're closer to fighting pads than controllers and really good. Gamepads really aren't better than fight sticks or hitboxes for fighting games, even considering the hitbox controversy from a couple of years ago. Keyboard are great for fast and precise inputs and you can use all 10 fingers. Not the case with a controller.

Last edited:

CamHostage

PC is a platform where M&K is the gold standard for playing games and if some release does not support it like MGS collection then it’s just a cash grab and if you want to play it just use an emulator.

MGS Collection supports Keyboard for everything, and Mouse for the one game where it makes sense in how the game was designed. (Sounds like it's essentially supporting the controller design from the original PC ports of the Metal Gears, when the games were ported specifically for the platform and these choices were originally analyzed and decided upon.)

MGS 1 and MGS2 do have first-person direct aiming controls which could conceivably work well with mouselook, but that's tied to the digital/analog controls of the base game; either you would have clumsy "mouse controls" where the mouse replicates the analog stick (and any time you nudge the mouse waiting to aim your character would go wildly astray since the analog input values would be so wildly different, or even if a developer could isolate first-person segments to enable mouse, the player would need to swap from ASDF/JKL; to mouse every time they aim because the mouse would be useless/counterproductive in regular play.

There is a modder out there who made a MGS2 free-look hack, and it's really instructive of how it changes the game and what works/doesn't work about such a radical makeover. (This mod BTW oversimplifies the game since you can now see things you were intentionally blocked from before and also adds bugs in collision and draw-in that he partially fixed where he could; overall it's a cool mod but not something typically included in a professional use as it deprecates core original mechanics.) Notably, the modder made it generally for analog sticks, and I don't see mouselook in the mod notes (though conceivably once that camera control is made manual it would work similarly with sticks or a mouse.)

Aren't there a bunch of fighting controllers that are basically just all buttons ie rearranged keyboards.

Yes; they work because fighting games are primarily digital inputs. No velocity, no degrees of angle, no percentage of pull, just 4 directions with 4 midpoints and however many buttons. Down/Down+Forward/Forward x Punch = Fireball.

Fighting games actually get confused by analog sticks sometimes (or did in the early days of analog), because gamers assume they work like joysticks and they think of joysticks as "Quarter-Circle x Punch = Fireball", but it's specifically D/DF/F in the commands and the game input system has to interpret analog zones of what is "Down" versus what is "Down+Forward". If you go 25-degrees, is that Down and the player just was off a bit or is that Down+Forward as it should be mathematically?

Last edited:

RaduN

Looking at more vids, yeah, the ports look like a fucking mess (...no they wont improve by release, like everyone's hoping).
They miss tons of graphical effects and atrocious framerate issues (in the 10s), at least on Sw but i bet there will be on all platforms.

Thank fucking God for emulation, which virtually perfect right now.

LordCBH

It absolutely cannot be that difficult to come up with a control set for MnK. Konami are just lazy cheapasses.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Konami prepping for the game's official release and the inevitable Steam user review response:

34f.gif

BlackTron

It absolutely cannot be that difficult to come up with a control set for MnK. Konami are just lazy cheapasses.
It's not the difficulty of coming up with a control scheme. It's the difficulty of dealing with the fact that what they are pushing is disc images of the games running in an emulator to give us the original 2012 HD collection for consoles. Which, big surprise, had no mouse/kb support.

This is a big challenge for Konami, which no longer has any game development people who know how to do anything and set out from the beginning to ship roms.

Any PC user who gives a shit can already play this a number of ways with any controls they want. It's a fair bet that if someone hasn't played the games they might go in with kb/m because it's gritty and has guns. Would be a mistake so it's not that bad to funnel into playing like the console game it is. On the other hand kb/m should be there as a standard feature if for no other reason than remapping your own input devices and PC players expect it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom