• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V - "Co-Op Player" command discovered in IDroid GUI Concept video

i fear this may be on the cutting-room floor due to the size and scope of the game. they haven't really given any indication of co-op elements yet. maybe the co-op player will be limited to only buddy abilities?

i fear this may be on the cutting-room floor due to the size and scope of the game. they haven't really given any indication of co-op elements yet. maybe the co-op player will be limited to only buddy abilities?

Not sure, Quiet's abilities seem too powerful to control directly, at least the grenade shooting.

However a kind of local co-op should be in, you can already call in the chopper on GZ via the app, so you could have someone directing all your AI buddies at once using a tablet.

Co-op is already functionally achievable at a design level though, simply by virtue of the Mother Base Infiltration MP. (the ability for two players to exist in one game instance)

If PW is any indication, then co-op is basically just side-ops/story missions that can have multiple players instead of just one.

9646495af3.gif

lmao

thisisdamngood.gif

this game is gonna be epic

Co-op is already functionally achievable at a design level though, simply by virtue of the Mother Base Infiltration MP. (the ability for two players to exist in one game instance)

If PW is any indication, then co-op is basically just side-ops/story missions that can have multiple players instead of just one.

Yeah, i agree. But there's a metric fuckton of balancing, bug fixing, and netcode that will need to be implemented for all these big large campaign missions to be co-op. My concern is that they did/will cut that functionality to get the game out

Oh man, this would be pretty awesome. Especially if you get to control characters like Ocelot, Quiet, DD, or Huey for that kick ass mech walking.

Oh boy...with the scope of the games maps...and co-op...

Banzai

If true...man this game is gonna be huuuge. MGO alone makes me grin uncontrollably. Then the Mother Base infiltrations, and now co-op?
When, Kojima. When.

Oh man, this would be pretty awesome. Especially if you get to control characters like Ocelot, Quiet, DD, or Huey for that kick ass mech walking.

Oh boy...with the scope of the games maps...and co-op...

If true...man this game is gonna be huuuge. MGO alone makes me grin uncontrollably. Then the Mother Base infiltrations, and now co-op?
When, Kojima. When.

An open-world MGS is a dream come true for me, simply because of how much I've extracted from the "linear" games in the series.

Yeah, i agree. But there's a metric fuckton of balancing, bug fixing, and netcode that will need to be implemented for all these big large campaign missions to be co-op. My concern is that they did/will cut that functionality to get the game out

Did they ever get animals into GTA Online? I agree and that base invasion system looks a lot simpler with how much there is to keep track of compared to the open world stuff, unless you can break out their zoo or something, but hoping there is a proper co-op system in there.

Speaking of Mother Base, will we be able to play as our recruits again? Would be nice if we could customize them to make them stand out more.

RK9039

Speaking of Mother Base, will we be able to play as our recruits again? Would be nice if we could customize them to make them stand out more.

They haven't said anything about that yet, I hope we can. It would be nice if recruits carry over to MGO as well with their stats, like they did for PW versus mode but I think they're going to keep it similar to MGO2.

Oh my.

Well, this shouldn't be much of a shock considering PW had co-op... but this is just going to be so much fun sneak co-op with the highest difficulty.

Rajang

Everything I love about PW is in TPP: fulton, base building, recruiting soldiers with different ranks, capturing tanks/armored vehicles/choppers, researching weapons and items and now Coop.

Thank you Kojima-san

Edit: btw Love Deterrence, I love your new avatar.

I never really got to get into PW Co-Op (never found people to play with), so I'm very excited to maybe get a new change to experience MGS co-op.

With the Mother Base features coming in, I'm also hoping you can team up with friends to defend your MB in the event of an invasion.

Edit: btw Love Deterrence, I love your new avatar.

Thank you, man! Really cool drawing, I thought! :-D

I never really got to get into PW Co-Op (never found people to play with), so I'm very excited to maybe get a new change to experience MGS co-op.

With the Mother Base features coming in, I'm also hoping you can team up with friends to defend your MB in the event of an invasion.

Dude, first of all, yes. Co-op Mother Base operations would blow my mind. Secondly, your handle is hilarious.

Riho Hyena

Neo Member
I want this game even more now. Hopefully most missions are able to be co-oped, although I can't say I expect every story mission to allow it.
If that happened though...

I want this game even more now. Hopefully most missions are able to be co-oped, although I can't say I expect every story mission to allow it.
If that happened though...

Co-op has all but been confirmed. I was chatting with a fellow MGS fan earlier and he pointed out the obvious, which is (paraphrasing) "Why else would Kojima have been so in-our-face about having four partners able to join us in battle?" Of course. Why do I keep forgetting about the four open seats (confirmed to be for Snake's buddies) on the chopper in the TGS footage?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Co-op has all but been confirmed. I was chatting with a fellow MGS fan earlier and he pointed out the obvious, which is (paraphrasing) "Why else would Kojima have been so in-our-face about having four partners able to join us in battle?" Of course. Why do I keep forgetting about the four open seats (confirmed to be for Snake's buddies) on the chopper in the TGS footage?

Exactly.

2015-01-0522_51_49-ju9asr5.png

Coop trailer with release date reveal confirmed?
leuhkikcskn4.gif

Bet your ass it is, mate!
leuhkikcskn4.gif

Oh my God.

Now that I think about it going back on CO-OP after going all in for Peace Walker would be strange.

Damn, as far as I'm concerned if there's CO-OP there is no competition for Game of the Year when TPP releases.

GVFbI3L.jpg

Dude, right? There's already SO MUCH to do based on what we've seen! Adding cooperative play is just icing on the cake. But you know what? There's something I never thought of until now. Kojima said that friends will be able to check out your base and run around with you -- how else would they be able to do that, if there were no co-op? Because he's been crystal clear about how the invasions are their own thing, so based on that, I'd have to say it only further solidifies our case that co-op is happening!

Underdogz

Neo Member
Dang. I've seen some pretty funny and crazy things that people have done by themselves in GZ.
Imagine what people could do now that you could have 2 or more people helping you.

I really hope this turns out to be true because it would just add to my hype for this game and I could see myself playing this game for hundreds of hours.

The hype is too real.

roytheone

Hopefully this is real. If it is, I will probably play exclusively solo in my first run, and then in co-op with a Buddy for my second. We kinda like to goof off when playing coop, so this will be perfect for us!

Didn't they say at one point that friends can visit your base as well as enemies? If you can fly around in the helicopter in Co Op then it would be natural that you could take them back to a base after a mission.

synce

Seriously fuck this co op shit. It destroyed RE, don't let it destroy MGS. Keep it relegated to dudebro shooters

Thanks, I remember that interview, it's nice to have someone asking questions who clearly knows the series pretty well.

Yeah! I followed the GameInformer coverage pretty closely
(AIR TIGHT)
that month. The guys covering the game were very knowledgeable regarding the series' lore. I thought it was awesome that the interviewer, Tim Turi, was aware of the confusion regarding Big Boss' coma(s) and asked about it. Many journalists who cover the game either (seemingly) don't know or don't care about the story, which is unfortunate, because it's such an amazing one. Like, even if people aren't fans of the story, I just don't get why people look for loopholes or inconsistencies with MGS when there are gaping holes in games that play it safe and stay on rails. /rant

wanders

Kojima did talk about co op a while ago like being able to make custom missions such as racing on horse back with your buddies

Sn4ke_911

Kojima did talk about co op a while ago like being able to make custom missions such as racing on horse back with your buddies

It sounds familiar but i can't remember exactly, do you have any source pls?

Sn4ke_911

I swear more and more shows up and all I think is, "This game is farther out than were all thinking isn't it?"

They kind of already announced Silent Hills via P.T., MGSV should be out before E3.

I don't think Kojima wants Silent Hills thunder stolen away by MGSV at those events.

The release date not being announced makes sense now. Ground Zeroes totally feels, to me at least, like co-op was going to be a thing, so this isn't that surprising.

Top Bottom