• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes will arrive on PC via Steam on December 18 2014

Sir TapTap

I'm really curious if the asset streaming is any better on PC. So much popin on the console versions.

Certainly hope so. Not sure what the deal is, the pop-in on PS4 is easily the most glaring flaw in presentation. At least give some "ultra" setting for pop-in distance.

Corpsepyre

Banned
For a second, and I don't know why, I thought it said December 2015. My heart sank for a bit.

Good news!!! Bring on TPP soon as well!

Grief.exe

I'd imagine Konami will have a similar strategy with MGS that they had with Castlevania.

First game delayed, second release day and date with the console version.

I had always theorized that Konami's push for the PC platform came too late in Ground Zeroes' development.

th4tguy

Certainly hope so. Not sure what the deal is, the pop-in on PS4 is easily the most glaring flaw in presentation. At least give some "ultra" setting for pop-in distance.

I can't help but feel the engine itself is held back by having to cater to previous gen systems.

I can't help but feel the engine itself is held back by having to cater to previous gen systems.

i don't think the engine is held back by this. GZ/TPP development? perhaps, but we are talking about large open world environments at a 100% constant 60 fps. are there obvious concessions? absolutely, but that's still unparalleled in the console space

Spaghetti

I'd imagine Konami will have a similar strategy with MGS that they had with Castlevania.

I had always theorized that Konami's push for the PC platform came too late in Ground Zeroes' development.
possibly, but ground zeroes was kind of a rushed product conceived to lessen the gap between the mgsv reveal in 2012 and the release in 2015. maybe just working on four platforms while still developing the main game in tandem was too much to include a pc port too.

i think a pc port was really always on the cards, given that the fox engine was made with pc porting in mind, and that kojima showed enthusiasm about bringing the game to pc, but time and resources weren't aligning to do things day and date for the rushed out prequel.

Ground Zeroes is worth checking out but at less than 15 dolars. Dunno what Konami was smoking when they wanted to sell it at full price before the playtime was revealed.

Damerman

Ground Zeroes is worth checking out but at less than 15 dolars. Dunno what Konami was smoking when they wanted to sell it at full price before the playtime was revealed.

it may not have substantial story, but the gameplay is there. I think it was worth the 30 bucks, then again i'm a rabid mgs fan.

It's not only a theory.
In fact, according to SteamDB, Phantom Pain was in the database 4 months earlier than Ground Zeroes:
https://steamdb.info/app/287700/history/
7 months ago for Phantom Pain

https://steamdb.info/sub/46786/history/
3 months ago for Ground Zeroes

So, it's likely that it wasn't decided yet that Ground Zeroes should be a standalone release or so. In any case, work on Ground Zeroes port started later than Phantom Pain.

UnrealEck

Day one!!!!!! 40 weeks later!!!!!
Dat master race.....

Have a drink on me
pint_bitter-200x300.jpg

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Ahh nice sonner than i thought, believed it would be january/february time.

Will most likely day one depending on price, hoping for something along the lines of £9.99-£14.99

Gojeran

Loved Ground Zeros on PS4, will pick this up and check it out on PC then decide which platform to play TPP on. I should be ok with a game in Dec giving me enough time to be able to pull myself away from Dragon Age Inquisition for a short while.

Kezen

Banned
Hah, I love how the only reason to my PS4 is exclusives, rather than it actually being better than alternate platforms.

If you're a PC gamer consoles loose most of their attractiveness unless you happen to be particularly interested in their exclusives.

Speaking for myself I see almost nothing on the console horizon that I'm dying to play, Uncharted 4 and that's it. I will probably buy a cheap used copy of The Order because I would like to justify my 400€ purchase.

All the games I'm looking forward to happen to be multiplats, and they're on PC. I feel like all my bases are covered by the PC and that's the very first time I find myself saying this.

Couldn't care less about Bloodborne.

Sir TapTap

The engine's obviously grown a lot since it was designed for MGS4, and I can't imagine pop in would be the sort of thing 100% baked into the engine and impossible to fix, but I can't say for sure. I do find it odd they don't manage to have a much larger distance before things pop in on PS4 with all that memory though. I at least assume that's usually the bottleneck usually?

Other than pop-in and some textures clearly meant for last-gen, I really don't see much evidence of Fox engine sucking though. PT looks great, though some aliasing issues. GZ, like most games, also has much worse aliasing beyond the point the Depth of Field effect kicks in--not sure why but that seems very common. Infamous and TLOU:R also have aliasing at least x2 as bad when DoF is also a factor.

Spaghetti

p.t isn't a particularly good example to use for the fox engine's capabilities, as they intentionally toned down the graphical fidelity to make it look 'indie', but even then the engine still is possibly the best around when it comes to photographic style lighting

^wizard
The engine's obviously grown a lot since it was designed for MGS4, and I can't imagine pop in would be the sort of thing 100% baked into the engine and impossible to fix, but I can't say for sure. I do find it odd they don't manage to have a much larger distance before things pop in on PS4 with all that memory though. I at least assume that's usually the bottleneck usually?

Other than pop-in and some textures clearly meant for last-gen, I really don't see much evidence of Fox engine sucking though. PT looks great, though some aliasing issues. GZ, like most games, also has much worse aliasing beyond the point the Depth of Field effect kicks in--not sure why but that seems very common. Infamous and TLOU:R also have aliasing at least x2 as bad when DoF is also a factor.
PT was created to have the feel of a indie game, they toned down the graphics substantially. A hallway game based on 100% full Fox Engine power would be almost life like

sense

Hah, I love how the only reason to my PS4 is exclusives, rather than it actually being better than alternate platforms.

how could a console version be better than a pc with high end graphics cards? I guess if the pc version is screwed up or not optimized or comes late or if you want to play on a big screen without having to move the desktop around or setup controls etc....

i don't get what you are trying to say. ofcourse consoles are going to be attractive mostly for its exclusives or if you want to play couch coop games with friends

If you're a PC gamer consoles loose most of their attractiveness unless you happen to be particularly interested in their exclusives.

Speaking for myself I see almost nothing on the console horizon that I'm dying to play, Uncharted 4 and that's it. I will probably buy a cheap used copy of The Order because I would like to justify my 400€ purchase.

All the games I'm looking forward to happen to be multiplats, and they're on PC. I feel like all my bases are covered by the PC and that's the very first time I find myself saying this.

Couldn't care less about Bloodborne.

what? no rime, shadow of the beast, everybody gone to rapture, persona 5, disgaea, tomorrow children, wild, until dawn, alienation, last guardian :) etc...i guess sony has a lot of AAA studios with unannounced stuff plus a lot of japanese games are still only going to be on console or mostly ps4 only so you will have a lot of time to justify the purchase.

how could a console version be better than a pc with high end graphics cards? I guess if the pc version is screwed up or not optimized or comes late or if you want to play on a big screen without having to move the desktop around or setup controls etc....

i don't get what you are trying to say. ofcourse consoles are going to be attractive mostly for its exclusives or if you want to play couch coop games with friends

Also, some some mp games are nearly dead on pc but active on console. Cod ghosts and titanfall come to mind.

Grief.exe

So has this date been confirmed yet? Also,I'd love an HD pc collection...Kojima pls.

I got my hopes up when Kojima was discussing the Metal Gear 2015 collection...turned out to be the worst case scenario.

Also, some some mp games are nearly dead on pc but active on console. Cod ghosts and titanfall come to mind.

You have to admit that both of those games aren't well targeted towards the PC demographic. The larger playerbase prefers a higher skill ceiling shooter, with COD derivites falling off in popularity for years.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Day 1.

Ground Zeroes + Phantom Pain on PC made me very happy. Will buy both day 1 to show my support.

As for pricing, I'm guessing $19.99 with a 25% preorder discount so its $15.

No way they're gonna go as low as $10 to begin with.

Opiate

A great deal of the inherent advantages of consoles have been eroded over time.

1) Consoles used to be much, much sturdier than PCs; consoles have gotten a little less robust over time (last generation was a nightmare, for instance) while PCs have gotten more reliable in the same time frame.

2) Consoles didn't have to worry about patches or OS updates, let alone having those updates potentially breaking games; these are now real things on consoles.

3) Console gaming used to be notably cheaper; at this point, the entry price is likely cheaper for most, but cost of ownership over time is likely very close in most cases due to generally lower priced games and no fee for online.

I'm not saying there are no advantages left for consoles (exclusives still definitely matter, and we haven't talked about friend networks yet either; if all your friends happen to own Wii Us, then it may make sense to also get a Wii U, for instance), but I am saying the benefits consoles had over PC when the SNES/Genesis launched are now significantly muted.

Kezen

Banned
what? no rime, shadow of the beast, everybody gone to rapture, persona 5, disgaea, tomorrow children, wild, until dawn, alienation, last guardian :) etc...i guess sony has a lot of AAA studios with unannounced stuff plus a lot of japanese games are still only going to be on console or mostly ps4 only so you will have a lot of time to justify the purchase.

Nothing in your list is even remotely close to picking my interest. That was my point by the way, I don't care how many exclusives consoles have, what matters to me is whether or not they're aligned with my tastes.

A great deal of the inherent advantages of consoles have been eroded over time.

1) Consoles used to be much, much sturdier than PCs; consoles have gotten a little less robust over time (last generation was a nightmare, for instance) while PCs have gotten more reliable in the same time frame.

2) Consoles didn't have to worry about patches or OS updates, let alone having those updates potentially breaking games; these are now real things on consoles.

3) Console gaming used to be notably cheaper; at this point, the entry price is likely cheaper for most, but cost of ownership over time is likely very close in most cases due to generally lower priced games and no fee for online.

I'm not saying there are no advantages left for consoles (exclusives still definitely matter, and we haven't talked about friend networks yet either; if all your friends happen to own Wii Us, then it may make sense to also get a Wii U, for instance), but I am saying the benefits consoles had over PC when the SNES/Genesis launched are now significantly muted.

This is why I side with PC. They're getting easier and simpler to use and in the meantime consoles are getting more complicated. My prediction is that soon they will be indistinguishable.

Eusis

whats the point of my PS4?
Cheap PC alternative, hardware wise anyway.

And Bloodborne. Also maybe for when you feel the need to keep a series "exclusive" for whatever reason and when you're capped to a 1080p/60fps display it's not like the PC version will be significantly better in a meaningful way anyway.

Grief.exe

Cheap PC alternative, hardware wise anyway.

And Bloodborne. Also maybe for when you feel the need to keep a series "exclusive" for whatever reason and when you're capped to a 1080p/60fps display it's not like the PC version will be significantly better in a meaningful way anyway.

Sigh I don't know if I can go back to playing Souls games at sub-30 FPS.

Top Bottom