• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V (PS3/360/PS4/XBO/Maybe PC) - Extended 9 minute E3 trailer

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So... Snake shoots those African kids with the diamonds?
Or was that some editing for the trailer?

Thought the same. It actually shocked me more than him choking Chico.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So... Snake shoots those African kids with the diamonds?
Or was that some editing for the trailer?

Editing.

The entire point is that he SAVES the kids and raises them as child soldiers for Outer Heaven, along with using the diamonds to fund it.

Shauni

Well, I guess we can't really know for sure until the game comes out. I doubt he actually shoots the kids, but I guess if there's one thing that screams, "HEY, THIS FUCKER IS TOTALLY A VILLAIN NOW GUYS!", it's blowing away a group of caged kids. But I doubt they'll go that far.

I thought it looks similar if not the same to the dogs in the GZ opening.

yup. look at where he gets up while turning around at 0:25. o_O
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFO7h1iqRGQ

Yeah, I'd say it looks on par with the animation work in The Last Of Us. Now to see if it controls smoothly as well.

Also, I highly doubt BB will shoot the kids, but he'll definitely be doing some dark shit in the game. Even Miller's getting in on the action with that new pissed off look while overseeing Huey's torture.

943584_10151433156455986_2028247199_n.jpg

With that in mind, I doubt we'll be seeing stuff like Big Boss thinking Santa Claus is real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CZmdbGmI08

Ah, I hope they don't get rid of that stuff completely. No matter how dark the game gets, I love some of that occasional cheesy MGS humor and charm sprinkled around.

It'll be weird listening to Sutherland fantasizing about boxes rather than Hayter, I gotta say.

Ah, I hope they don't get rid of that stuff completely. No matter how dark the game gets, I love some of that occasional cheesy MGS humor and charm sprinkled around.

Yeah. This is very brief, but I like in the GZ cutscene when Kaz and Big Boss are talking about the mission as the latter climbs the cliff: Kaz warns him that this will be a solo mission and Big Boss says that "fine. I like some time alone, now and then" and heading back to Mother Base in time for lunch.

Buntabox

I'm still really curious about what role that dog might play.

Be interesting if there were scenarios where you played more of a "hunter" type role and the dog was useful for warnings and sniffing things out. Almost kind of the opposite of normal MGS (being the infiltrator). Dogs can be tricky in games I suppose. But yeah, seems to be a trend now.

As far as humor goes, I'm sure there will still be some wacky MGS type stuff. Just maybe a little more toned down and placed at the right moments. Humor can always been inserted into even the most serious of stories. It just needs to be tasteful and considerate of the subject matter (child soldiers in this game).

Angst

I'm still really curious about what role that dog might play.

Hope he makes it into the actual game, lots of potential there. Like if Snake can give him specific commands in real-time. Or maybe the player could even control the dog itself to scout ahead and retrieve items (like with MG mk.II in MGS4)
Duh, the dog is obviously Vulcan Raven. Vulcan Raven had a serious accident as a kid and to save his life Native Indian scientists transferred his mind using nanomachines (of course) to the dog. In the MGS timeline he has once again been transfered to his real body, although he still dreams about sniffing crotches and pissing on telephone poles.

That's why they really need to remake MG1 and 2. As you guys said, Metal Gear was meant to be a big deal back then. Now, you've got Miller saying they've found a weapon to surpass it at the end of the extended trailer. They need to dial it back a bit.

Think about it; we already know what happens after MGS5 (1975-1984). We have most the story afterwords. What surpasses Metal Gear? Well, either the clones of Big Boss or the Patriots A.I. I'm betting Ocelot was referring to something along those lines.

By the way, it was Ocelot talking at the end, not Miller.

Jubern

Yeah, I hope (and expect) that the weapon to surpass Metal Gear has actually nothing to do with robots and shit. It's already pretty hard to take seriously the Metal Gears from MG1&2, maybe even REX, after what they pulled with Peace Walker.

Buntabox

I wonder what the "weapon to surpass Metal Gear could even be?"

Possibilities:
Snake clones
Fox Die/precursor
Nanomachines, son

Izick

I don't think that was editing.

He was standing right by the exact same rocky, carved out area the children are in when he hands them the diamonds. He looks regretfully at whoever he shoots right before he does it. The children jump back after being handed the diamonds.

Kojima said he was "going to break taboos" and that's a big one to say the least. Pretty sure it's not editing, but rather Kokima showing Snake doing some dirty stuff.

Mr. RHC

I don't think that was editing.

He was standing right by the exact same rocky, carved out area the children are in when he hands them the diamonds. He looks regretfully at whoever he shoots right before he does it. The children jump back after being handed the diamonds.

Kojima said he was "going to break taboos" and that's a big one to say the least. Pretty sure it's not editing, but rather Kokima showing Snake doing some dirty stuff.

I don't think the diamonds are being handed down to the prisoners, it rather looks like they were showing P. Snake their belongings.
It also looks like as if he is shooting without any movement, why would he shoot in one direction for 5 seconds?

I could be all wrong, but I don't think he is shooting the prisoners nor is he screwing around with Chico.

Izick

I don't think the diamonds are being handed down to the prisoners, it rather looks like they were showing P. Snake their belongings.

I mean you can see him put a big one in the one prisoner's hand. I think they use that shot to just show that all these kids have diamonds. I think Snake is planting diamonds on them and killing them for some reason.

Also, he would shoot in one direction for 5 seconds for dramatic effect I'm guessing. You see it in movies where the protagonist is unwilling to shoot something. He slowly, begrudgingly pulls the trigger, and when they do it's a burst of gunfire for way longer than needed. I've seen it happen in at least a couple of movies.

As for Chico, I'm not as sure as I am with Snake shooting the POW's. I think he might be trying to knock Chico out.

Mr. RHC

I mean you can see him put a big one in the one prisoner's hand. I think they use that shot to just show that all these kids have diamonds. I think Snake is planting diamonds on them and killing them for some reason.

Let's say I would really be shocked if he would do something that radical.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah. This is very brief, but I like in the GZ cutscene when Kaz and Big Boss are talking about the mission as the latter climbs the cliff: Kaz warns him that this will be a solo mission and Big Boss says that "fine. I like some time alone, now and then" and heading back to Mother Base in time for lunch.

This line is almost the same as what Zero told him in MGS3 at the beginning.

Alienous

Or maybe the first guy offers him diamonds and he gives them back, meaning that he doesn't need them since he's tasked to kill them. OMG :(

I can't imagine Big Boss raking up the kill count of innocents, in a game series that prides itself on giving you the choice of who you kill.

Izick

Okay, well I just want to say one last time before the game comes out that I'm like 99% sure that Snake kills those POW children and plants diamonds on them to further some sort of agenda.

I'd hope to be wrong, because Snake killing children is as dark and evil as it gets, but I really don't think it's something else.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The kids give him diamonds so he doesn't kill them. He gives them back, and shoots them.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So recently I decided to just go for it and get PW on the PS3, I tried playing it on the PSP when it released and I couldn't stand the controls and therefore just wrote the game off before even making it past the APC boss fight.

On the PS3 however this game is seriously a shit ton of fun, yeah the AI might not be too bright but the mother base managment and recruitment / outer ops stuff is so addictive for some reason. You sort of start coming up with little stories about your own soldiers for seemingly no reason, like I had this one dude who came back from an outer ops mission almost dead and by the time he recovered I had fallen to 98% food so I decided to drop him from combat and reassign him to the mess hall his second best stat. I just kind of instantly thought, "yeah that makes sense he probably lost a leg in the fight and is now serving food to the other soliders, since he can't fight any more but still wants to support our cause"

Izick

But why shoot prisoners, it does not make any sense to me.

How do you make your enemy look like a monster?

"This is a sneaking mission. You can't be discovered."

He's planting diamonds on them and killing them to paint his enemy or enemies as a monster, and trying to make the diamond-trade look as bad as it can.

Mr. RHC

Still interesting that he chooses to wear a prosthetic for his leg but not one for his arm.

Kaz needs no two arms to walk. :p

Yeah, but he could use a Snake arm thingy, that's true.

How do you make your enemy look like a monster?

"This is a sneaking mission. You can't be discovered."

He's planting diamonds on them and killing them to paint his enemy or enemies as a monster, and trying to make the diamond-trade look as bad as it can.

I'm still in disbelief, I know the game will be dark, but damn they'd better have a realistic story explanation for this.

Izick

I'm still in disbelief, I know the game will be dark, but damn they'd better have a realistic story explanation for this.

I'm with you there. I don't really like Big Boss as much as I like Solid Snake, but you can't help but sympathize with him by the time MGS4 comes to an end. I'm guessing that this game will go into all the dirty things he did, but still try and keep the idea that he didn't really want to do this stuff.

And that's if this is actually just a straight on tale of Big Boss's time between Peace Walker and Metal Gear. Which I don't think it will be. I'm not saying it's someone else, but I think there's going to be some big twist to the plot that changes a whole lot.

Will be an interesting story to see told at the very least.

Izick

I'm not trying to say this in a vicious way, but I think some of you are in denial on this. Big Boss isn't Solid Snake. Big Boss made big, huge mistakes that snowballed him into the villain he is in the later games. Not to mention he's under external pressures to do a lot of these things. The stakes have never been higher.

Top Bottom