• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid was released 25 years ago

VulcanRaven

Metal Gear Solid was released on September 3, 1998 in Japan. Maybe my favorite game ever. I remember seeing a trailer of it on a PS1 demo disc and after that I had to get the game. I was only 6 or 7 years old but it still became one of my favorite games. Can't wait to play it again when the Master Collection releases.

It was a shorter version of this trailer:

Metal_Gear_Solid-538060123-large.jpg

Last edited:

SenkiDala

Played it in Japanese and even though I didn't understand that much the story (I had try every frequency to find the codec of MERYL), I loved it. I played it again once it released in my country and since then played all of them on day one (except MGS4 I got a PS3 a bit late).

Will buy the collection on day one for sure. I want they rerelease all of them and get a sequel from Kojima. A deluxe version of MGSV Director's Cut with the missing part.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I was huge fan of the nes game before MGS came out so I was FLOORED when I got to play it. Literally nothing else on that level was out for the genre.

Bojji

Wrong, MGS2 is the best in the series.

Exactly. MGS1 was amazing (I played it in 2001) but MGS2 completely destroyed me (in 2003), I finished it more than 30 times for sure (and finaly got platinum in MGS HD collection on PS3).

I completed Twin Snakes few days ago, it feels like MGS2 expansion and it's good but MGS1 is kinda broken with MGS2 mechanics. Not to mention cutscenes are ridiculous LOL

Mr Hyde

Easily the best in the franchise. Never cared for the later sequels, thought they were all rubbish, but Metal Gear Solid is truly a remarkable game; innovative, exciting, tense and super fun to play. Hideos magnum opus.

TheKratos

Man when I played it I was absolutely shocked. I did not know games could get THIS good only to be blown away by MGS2.

phaedrus

Seriously, that Shadow Moses level in MGS3 MGS4 was the most nostalgic I've ever felt playing a game.

Kojima already had a perfect template for remaking MGS1, if only...

Edited: got my wires crossed

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I wish I could go back in time to relive popping disc 1 in for the first time. When Pyscho Mantis read my memory card, I about shit myself

Edit: btw, would anyone recommend snake eater on the "new 3ds"? I have access to it, but just can't imagine it being a good time with such a low resolution and the circle pad. Just looking for thoughts on it from people who played it.

Last edited:

Bond007

Makes me feel old as dirt.
I was 13 in middle school and saved a whole month worth of my lunch money and not eating to get this game.
Worth it. Ended up being my favorite game of all time.

I was huge fan of the nes game before MGS came out so I was FLOORED when I got to play it. Literally nothing else on that level was out for the genre.
Thats a trip. I had the cartridge but the gameplay was so frustrating to have to repeat things after dying, never finished it until I printed out a gamefaqs walkthru. The fuckin keycards didnt stack, so level 9 card wouldnt work on a level 8 or below. What!?

MGS1, man… what a fucking game that was back in the 90’s.

People can’t possibly know how influential that game was back then unless you were there.
Whats obscure about MGS is how much of it was basically a 3d remake of Metal Gear 2 on the Japanese super nintendo (MSX). I went and played the emulator version back in the day and many of the plot points and gameplay mechanics are the same. Of course they added and changed a lot of things to make the story more comprehensive, but Insanely good game for its time and the soundtrack is incredible. I ended up making a website for it to let people download it, read my walkthru, look at the maps I made, etc. A masterpiece game. So its no wonder MGS had that backbone to rely on and basically port it to modern systems with 3d and voice acting, cinematics, proper musical score, etc.

So…MGS collection and Super Mario RPG remake are my most anticipated games this year. I haven’t played MGS since 1998 and I never completed it.

MGS is the game imo associated with PS1. People think ps1 era they think MGS and then FFVII.

1998…when movies were movies.

When Star Wars was still Star Wars. Before smart phones. “You’ve got Mail”, Monday Night Wars, Mulder and Scully!

When you were Buying games at a Mall! Arcades still existed.

When comedies were safe to make! When books weren’t banned. Maris was still the home run king for a few more days! This is starting to feel like a Billy Joel song…

Man, 1998…simpler times…cheers Metal Gear!

episode 4 before the empire GIF by Star Wars

Last edited:

RaduN

This game changed my life.

From the Heliport intro to the Truth mission, this series is the most consistently mind blowing and meaningful interactive storytelling experience ever created.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Thats a trip. I had the cartridge but the gameplay was so frustrating to have to repeat things after dying, never finished it until I printed out a gamefaqs walkthru. The fuckin keycards didnt stack, so level 9 card wouldnt work on a level 8 or below. What!?

Whats obscure about MGS is how much of it was basically a 3d remake of Metal Gear 2 on the Japanese super nintendo (MSX). I went and played the emulator version back in the day and many of the plot points and gameplay mechanics are the same. Of course they added and changed a lot of things to make the story more comprehensive, but Insanely good game for its time and the soundtrack is incredible. I ended up making a website for it to let people download it, read my walkthru, look at the maps I made, etc. A masterpiece game. So its no wonder MGS had that backbone to rely on and basically port it to modern systems with 3d and voice acting, cinematics, proper musical score, etc.

the japanese super nintendo isn't the msx. the msx was around before the SNES.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Ah yes. I didn’t particularly enjoy it the first time around, playing it in Italian. That scene with Meryl doing a complete 180 degrees on war as soon as she gets hit by Sniper Wolf is still one of the silliest things to ever be featured in a cutscene (and the ”BRB, gotta find a sniping rifle real quick” that follows is just as hilarious). The Italian dub didn’t help things. I replayed the game in English a few years later and I ultimately liked it. MGS1 is pure Kojima, but at least it nailed the American action movie tone and atmosphere. MGS2’s fever dream vibe turned me off the series completely.

The codec sequence “secret” is a nice memory for me because the first time I saw the game, it was at my friend’s house. You gotta understand that in the PS1 days, the ratio of pirated to original games in Italy was likely 9 to 1. My friend had a pirate copy of MGS. It just happens that the people he got his games from bothered to also make photocopies of the cover and case sleeves, albeit in greyscale. So we (well, actually me) were able to figure out the CD case riddle. Imagine all the people who just got a CD in a plastic sleeve.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I remember the day it came out, picking up my reserved copy from a mom & pop vg store over here in NYC, oh man those were the good old days..

What I'd give to go back to those days..

Last edited:
I wish I could go back in time to relive popping disc 1 in for the first time. When Pyscho Mantis read my memory card, I about shit myself

Edit: btw, would anyone recommend snake eater on the "new 3ds"? I have access to it, but just can't imagine it being a good time with such a low resolution and the circle pad. Just looking for thoughts on it from people who played it.
Snake Eater 3D might be the best way to play MGS3. The features added are so fun. Take photos using the camera to make new camo, crouch walking, but my favourite? The stereoscopic 3D stops working when Snake loses his eye!

RaduN

Snake Eater 3D might be the best way to play MGS3. The features added are so fun. Take photos using the camera to make new camo, crouch walking, but my favourite? The stereoscopic 3D stops working when Snake loses his eye!
The absolute best way to play MGS3 is still on original ps2 on a quality crt or, thanks to a very recent breakthrough in emulation that allows the post peocessing effects to be fully rendered, via pcsx2 emulation.

Not HD releases, not 3Ds, because all these have massive downgrades in one area or another, compared to original experience.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Still one of the best anti piracy methods for it's time

It's good, but they really should have made Meryl's frequently late in the range.

140.15 is very quick to get to if you're just brute forcing.

I wonder how they're gonna address this in the new port.

Last edited:
Top Bottom