• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid was released 25 years ago

lifa-cobex

It's good, but they really should have made Meryl's frequently late in the range.

140.15 is very quick to get to if you're just brute forcing.

I wonder how they're gonna address this in the new port.
if I remember right, The first few frequency's are around .85- 90's?
Brute forcing it was a pain in the ass.
*down a digit
*ring ring......nothing
*down a digit
That's even if you started in the 140 range,
What if you started in the late 140 range and go up to the 141 range to work all the way around.

That's a life time of issues to 11 year old me.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
if I remember right, The first few frequency's are around .85- 90's?
Brute forcing it was a pain in the ass.
*down a digit
*ring ring......nothing
*down a digit
That's even if you started in the 140 range,
What if you started in the late 140 range and go up to the 141 range to work all the way around.

That's a life time of issues to 11 year old me.

It starts at 140.00, so you basically just need to hit 15 wrong ones before you hit the right.

The frequency range is 140.00 to 141.99.

It's been a while since I played the original but I'm fairly sure of the above.

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

It starts at 140.00, so you basically just need to hit 15 wrong ones before you hit the right.

The frequency range is 140.00 to 141.99.

It's been a while since I played the original but I'm fairly sure of the above.
What im getting at is because the first few frequency's are around the top end. You would naturally assume that it's around that point.
When ever you went into the codec. I think it stayed on the last frequency you used last so you would always be around the high end.

True that if you decided to start from the very bottom and work your way around. It wouldn't take long.
But I doubt many thought of doing that.

Last edited:
The absolute best way to play MGS3 is still on original ps2 on a quality crt or, thanks to a very recent breakthrough in emulation that allows the post peocessing effects to be fully rendered, via pcsx2 emulation.

Not HD releases, not 3Ds, because all these have massive downgrades in one area or another, compared to original experience.
Once I used the crouch walk I felt like I couldn't go back.
I mean I will with the collection next month, but still

VulcanRaven

I wish I could go back in time to relive popping disc 1 in for the first time. When Pyscho Mantis read my memory card, I about shit myself

Edit: btw, would anyone recommend snake eater on the "new 3ds"? I have access to it, but just can't imagine it being a good time with such a low resolution and the circle pad. Just looking for thoughts on it from people who played it.
I have always wanted to play that version of MGS3. It has updated character models and you can crouch walk. The fps is really bad though.

Last edited:

RaduN

Once I used the crouch walk I felt like I couldn't go back.
I mean I will with the collection next month, but still
Not much mechanical difference (if any) between the slow/crouch walk in original Subsistence and the one in 3DS. Just that you have, i think different speeds in the 3DS version? I don't remember exactly.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Mgs1 I could play again I guess the previews looked pretty good, I love the stealth style of play. I think portable ops on psp needed the remaster not this.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Still one of the best anti piracy methods for it's time
Not really if you can bruteforce it. I doubt Kojima saw it as such, it’s just his Tuesday fourth-wall breaking idea.

PC adventure games had much better anti-piracy systems years before MGS.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It feels like yesterday and like 100 years ago at the same time.
I am leaning towards "ancient" for me. it was so long ago, it's in another stratosphere

Reactions: KU_

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not really if you can bruteforce it. I doubt Kojima saw it as such, it’s just his Tuesday fourth-wall breaking idea.

Yeah, some of the early 90s PC stuff was wild, look up specific page of the manual and specific line and word.

But, Kojima's thing was also pretty intuitive cause you didn't see things like that on PS1 era consoles.

He also directly incorporate it into the games story, which was a novelty.

MarkMe2525

Snake Eater 3D might be the best way to play MGS3. The features added are so fun. Take photos using the camera to make new camo, crouch walking, but my favourite? The stereoscopic 3D stops working when Snake loses his eye!
What!? Man the 3DS is so cool. Like many, after the store shut down, i have had the opportunity to play pretty much any game I want, and it's been so cool rediscovering it's library. There are such unique experiences that I never gave the time of day because it didn't look like "my style" of game. I was wrong.

The Stig

what a game.

I really felt like I was in a movie.

For all it's (many in some game's cases) flaws I love the MGS franchise and it will always sting a little with how it ended (it ended at V, and that wasnt even finished, we all know this).

winjer

Gold Member
I still remember being in school recess, talking to a friend about this game, before it released.
Magazines had plenty of previews and screenshots. And it looked amazing
Then one day he shows up with the demo and lends it to me. When I played it.....

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

Reactions: KU_

A.Romero

Amazing game. This and FF7 made me forget about Nintendo.

This game made me understand how games would be in the future. It was ahead of its time. Long life Kojima fan since then.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
[
I still remember being in school recess, talking to a friend about this game, before it released. Magazines had plenty of previews and screenshots. And it looked amazing, then one day he shows up with the demo and lends it to me. When I played it.....

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

I know that feel bro, 100%

Shit was MIND BLOWING.

VulcanRaven

This can still be bought on PS3 PS Store and GOG. Does Konami have history of delisting games when a new version releases?

Last edited:

GymWolf

And it's still arguably the best game kojima has ever created and my favourite game of all time.

I know some people like mgs3 more but the difference in villains\characters charisma (except the boss) is night and day imo.
I forgot the fear, the pain, the sorrow etc. 30 min after fighting them, the end was cool but he barely say anything.

I was manly crying with otacon when sniper wolf died or when they shoot meryl...

None of the sequels had me hooked like mgs1.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I don't think Kojima was out to combat piracy either. It wasn't more than a soft blow to pirates. I remember one friend briefly panicked and told me he couldn't progress. But I think he wisened up and just brute forced it a while later.

Marchizmo

And it's still arguably the best game kojima has ever created and my favourite game of all time.

I know some people like mgs3 more but the difference in villains\characters charisma (except the boss) is night and day imo.
I forgot the fear, the pain, the sorrow etc. 30 min after fighting them, the end was cool but he barely say anything.

I was manly crying with otacon when sniper wolf died or when they shoot meryl...

All the games got better from iteration to iteration, but 1 is the best
arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

Let’s face it, Kojima works best when he’s restrained by technical limitations. Otherwise he’ll go overboard. Give him a 3mm button that can detect 256 different levels of pressure and he’ll make you use them all in the game. Give him current tech and lots of money and the first thing he does is cast real-life actors in his game.

GymWolf

Let’s face it, Kojima works best when he’s restrained by technical limitations. Otherwise he’ll go overboard. Give him a 3mm button that can detect 256 different levels of pressure and he’ll make you use them all in the game. Give him current tech and lots of money and the first thing he does is cast real-life actors in his game.
I think he also had shinkawa keeping him on a leash to not get his cringe\fartsniffing side come out too much.

We know how it ended with mgs5 and even worse, DS.

calistan

Crazy that it took 25 years to get from Pong to MGS, but the following 25 years didn't give us anywhere near as big an advance. MGS still seems like a fully formed modern videogame. Perhaps this was gaming's Citizen Kane moment.

Top Bottom