• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Survive

MrDanGuy

same as any other online game.. i dont see this as a problem.

not only did mgs5 have the same thing. but if you want another character, just make another free psn account.

i mean its the same with games like overwatch. whats the prob. lol

They will turn away people with this who won’t buy the game, and lose more money because of this. It is terrible time to have this with the recent MT bad PR problems.

Philtastic

First, a note on microtransactions: much like in MGS V, they're giving away the premium currency, Survival Coins, for logging in everyday. I got 30 last night on PC, and you need 1,000 for the character slot, thus you'd need to log in everyday for a month which, if you're enjoying the game like I am, you'd do that anyway.

I'm 7 hours into the game, and my initial impression is that it's excellent BUT it's excellent in the same conflicting way that The Witcher 3's combat is: there's very little guidance to the systems, thus anyone who goes into this just putting up fences and thrusting their spears through them will have a very boring time of it (see Jim Sterling). The biggest challenge of this game at the beginning is managing your time: you'll starve or die of thirst if you spend too much time fighting zombies. I've seen a lot of comments about how stealth is a side thought to this game, but I'd argue that it's actually the best and most efficient way to play since you don't have the luxury of spending lots of time killing 15+ zombies, wasting resources on portable fences, and risking injuries that you need to heal with limited medical resources. Why spend 10-15 minutes (precious food and water time) trying to kill a horde of zombies when you can toss one lure into a corner and just walk on by to your objective? During one mission, there were seriously 30+ zombies guarding the entrance to the objective: instead of spending 20+ minutes trying to battle my way through them, I tossed 2 lures while hiding/crawling through the grass, backstabbed some stragglers for the kuban energy, and waltzed right into the objective in about 5 minutes. Even if you need to kill that horde of zombies, it's also more time efficient to toss a lure and then, when they're all huddled together, kill them all in one or two molotov infernos completely unseen than to face them in melee combat.

Basically, what I'm saying is that, like The Witcher 3, you need to make use of the diverse tools available to you to do well and have fun in this game. Sure, you can get by putting up fences and jabbing with your spear, but it's boring and inefficient much like using Quen and just your swords in Witcher 3.

Last edited:

nowhat

First, a note on microtransactions: much like in MGS V, they're giving away the premium currency, Survival Coins, for logging in everyday. I got 30 last night on PC, and you need 1,000 for the character slot, thus you'd need to log in everyday for a month which, if you're enjoying the game like I am, you'd do that anyway.
Cool. But does that make requiring 1000 in-game credits for a new save slot OK? I think that's a whole new level of corporate fuckery. Which, in this age of Battlefront 2 et al., is quite an achievement. A commendable one, of that I'm not so sure.

Good advice about stealth from Philtastic above. So much of the game's difficulty really is about time management.

Cool. But does that make requiring 1000 in-game credits for a new save slot OK? I think that's a whole new level of corporate fuckery. Which, in this age of Battlefront 2 et al., is quite an achievement. A commendable one, of that I'm not so sure.
But it's not new, which is the problem with the outrage. Metal Gear Solid 5 was literally the exact same thing, including earning it slowly in-game. Guild Wars 2 (released in 2012) does something similar. This isn't a whole new level of anything, and the attempts to pretend it is feels a little bit like it's the latest flag certain people are raising to take this game down. I'm not defending it -- if the game gave you a few save slots out of the box like GW2 did, that would be great -- but it's seriously such a non-issue here.

nowhat

But it's not new, which is the problem with the outrage. Metal Gear Solid 5 was literally the exact same thing, including earning it slowly in-game. Guild Wars 2 (released in 2012) does something similar. This isn't a whole new level of anything, and the attempts to pretend it is feels a little bit like it's the latest flag certain people are raising to take this game down. I'm not defending it -- if the game gave you a few save slots out of the box like GW2 did, that would be great -- but it's seriously such a non-issue here.
I haven't played GW2, so pardon my ignorance there. But did MGS5 really require in-game currency (which, naturally, can be bought for real money) for additional save slots? And if it didn't (it's been a while since I played it), how is it literally (insert Archer gif here) the same thing?

It's not a non-issue. It's absolute bullshit, and we as gamers shouldn't accept that it's status quo now.

Philtastic

deadscreensky makes a great point about how having one save like this isn't new. There are plenty of games where you only have one save and you need to reset all of your progress to start from the beginning. Even if this were a new thing, however, I'd say that having multiple SAVE slots is contrary to the spirit of a survival game where it would take a lot away from the experience if you could have a backup save to undo any mishaps that happen. What is on offer here, however, is not a SAVE slot but a CHARACTER slot for having an alternate avatar that mostly starts from scratch (there's apparently some things that are shared between all characters). You're also free to change everything about your current avatar, other than the gender, for free. This is seriously an overblown issue unless you absolutely need to have both a male and female avatar or you want to start from scratch without erasing your previous, but then you would have played enough to get the premium currency for free to unlock the slot.

Edit: I don't think that this has been published enough, but they're giving away 30 Survival Coins for free everyday when you log in. You need 1,000 coins for the character slot, thus log in everyday for a month to get the slot for free.

Edit2:
But did MGS5 really require in-game currency (which, naturally, can be bought for real money) for additional save slots? And if it didn't (it's been a while since I played it), how is it literally (insert Archer gif here) the same thing?
As far as I recall, MGS V didn't even offer multiple saves.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Im curious why the game called Metal Gear? Usually putting such big name in your game will bring more attention but in this case I think working against it. After the entire incident with Kojima and Konami, not only will get people less excited about it but also bring much more blind hate on it. Konami should have known this.

Last edited:

JTCx

There are plenty of games where you only have one save and you need to reset all of your progress to start from the beginning.

Name me a few of these plenty of games with one save slot that doesnt smell of corporate bullshit.

IISANDERII

deadscreensky makes a great point about how having one save like this isn't new. There are plenty of games where you only have one save and you need to reset all of your progress to start from the beginning. Even if this were a new thing, however, I'd say that having multiple SAVE slots is contrary to the spirit of a survival game where it would take a lot away from the experience if you could have a backup save to undo any mishaps that happen. What is on offer here, however, is not a SAVE slot but a CHARACTER slot for having an alternate avatar that mostly starts from scratch (there's apparently some things that are shared between all characters). You're also free to change everything about your current avatar, other than the gender, for free. This is seriously an overblown issue unless you absolutely need to have both a male and female avatar or you want to start from scratch without erasing your previous, but then you would have played enough to get the premium currency for free to unlock the slot.

Edit: I don't think that this has been published enough, but they're giving away 30 Survival Coins for free everyday when you log in. You need 1,000 coins for the character slot, thus log in everyday for a month to get the slot for free.

Edit2:

Is creating another character the only use for the Survivor Coins?

Philtastic

Name me a few of these plenty of games with one save slot that doesnt smell of corporate bullshit.
I'll preface this by saying that I'm not 100% sure if these are 1 save or 1 save per character:
- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
- Bioshock Infinite
- Batman: Arkham Knight
- Pretty much every Pokemon game (I think)
- Dragon's Dogma
- Farcry 4
- Assassin's Creed: Unity as well as Syndicate
- Until Dawn
- Dead Rising
- Watch Dogs
- Etrian Odyssey series
- Super Smash Brothers series
While searching for more, I came across this thread:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/games-with-one-save-slot.1105259/

SoulUnison

Banned

This effectively killed the game, for me. I don't understand wh developers do this.

I'll never replay MGS V again because I don't want to delete the save file I've invested 100+ hours in, but I don't want to play my 100+ hour save file because I want to experience the story progression again.
So... I guess I'll just never play MGS V again. Great job, Konami. You have my money, though, so why should you care.

I haven't played GW2, so pardon my ignorance there. But did MGS5 really require in-game currency (which, naturally, can be bought for real money) for additional save slots? And if it didn't (it's been a while since I played it), how is it literally (insert Archer gif here) the same thing?

It's not a non-issue. It's absolute bullshit, and we as gamers shouldn't accept that it's status quo now.
I fired up MGS5 just now and tried to create another multiplayer character. Here are the results:

qz91Xih.jpg

There are minor differences, to be fair. The solo campaign in 5 offered no additional character slots at all. Multiplayer gives you three slots to start with, though since it's a class-based game they didn't have a choice. (Survive is class-based too, but it allows class switching freely.) If you want to consider that a violation of my "literally" statement, fine, though I think small deviations based on the actual games being different is understandable and 'allowed'.

(Since all of Survive is potentially online, there is no separation between character types, that's why I'm only truly comparing multiplayer in both.)

As a related aside, I've never spent any money on those MB coins, and I've actually already used quite a bit of them to unlock additional FOBs and so on. So it's reasonable to assume Survive will give players plenty of opportunities to unlock new character slots if that's what they want. We'll see.

Where I was expecting them to get greedy was in character customization, but you can freely change your character's looks as much as you want. And for whatever it's worth, it's not like Survive hits you in the face with your lack of character slots. I'm not going to take more screenshots, but it's just not a prominent feature you're clearly missing out on. The game has yet to ask me to spend extra money period.

Anyway, I'd legitimately appreciate knowing why this is all so outrageous to you. I don't feel that way myself, but I'm certainly interested in understanding. It's not like you can't let friends play the game, they just use their respective Xbox, Steam, or PSN account. I guess this could be a problem for speedrunning? Though you could presumably just delete your character and start over, like MGS5 offered. I just play so many games that don't even offer additional character slots at all, I don't get why this is the big deal it's being made into. Ideally, sure, give every game dozens of character slots, that would be great! But this isn't 1995 anymore, right? This isn't some fancy new outrage that Survive is bringing to video games.

I will agree they should have included a second slot as a courtesy thing.

And again, I think budget releases like Survive should be held to a different level of scrutiny regardless. This is an enormous game -- I'm 13 hours in and I've barely scratched its content. If that means they have to monetize additional things like completely unnecessary (and as Philtastic points out, possibly counter to the whole aim of the game) save slots to make up for that lower price, that doesn't seem too terrible. I'd rather them do that than lock the game's ending away, Capcom-style. Or hell, locking away character classes, though for all I know they have post-release classes planned. (I'm reminded of the outrage over the upcoming BlazBlue game when they announced loads of character DLC, ignoring the fact that the game is being released at a lower price. Combined with the DLC it seems like it might just be a normal full price game, just with a cheaper option for those who want less.) If you really wanted to be fair to Survive, you could tack on $20 of paid currency (giving you two extra slots?) and make it a full price game too. There you go, three save slots!

Philtastic

Is creating another character the only use for the Survivor Coins?
I checked tonight (after receiving 50 Survival Coins for logging in today) and found that, right now, there's really only a few booster items available which are completely unnecessary.

I checked tonight (after receiving 50 Survival Coins for logging in today) and found that, right now, there's really only a few booster items available which are completely unnecessary.
You can eventually use them to unlock additional exploration teams (you send them out to get new loot for you), but even if I did shell out the cash for that I wouldn't have enough staff to actually take advantage of them. It seems somewhat similar to additional FOBs in MGS5, though probably less useful since I don't think it gives you additional passive resource gain. Perhaps it's an issue with the endgame, but for now it seems a nonissue.

Game has finally decided to start throwing some more enemy types at me, which makes me happy.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
I remember when MGO2 had additional character slots locked behind a pay wall. It doesn’t make it ok, but it’s not new. The difference here is, and much like in mgsv, konami gives you “currency” every week to buy these things.

VulcanRaven

I have no plans to buy this. I'm not interested in games like this and the beta wasn't fun. They should bring the HD Collection to current consoles and include The Twin Snakes.

Last edited:

Philtastic

With all of the misinformation on this game, particularly from the gaming press, I've been recording a Let's Play series on playing this like a Metal Gear game. It's a lot of video but I've put time stamps to more interesting parts in the video descriptions. Enjoy!
Metal Gear Survive Stealth Let's Play

hivsteak

same as any other online game.. i dont see this as a problem.

not only did mgs5 have the same thing. but if you want another character, just make another free psn account.

i mean its the same with games like overwatch. whats the prob. lol

You're saying that because its common practice nobody should have a problem with it? Just to drive this home, school shootings are also common. Nobody should have a problem with them because they are common?

From what I understand Metal Gear Survive is an always online mostly single player experience. You have to pay $10 if you want to start a brand new save to play single player. MGS5 does not do this you can start a new single player game for free. Overwatch does not do this, your current skill level and unlocks are persisted and nobody is upset about that.

I'm sure there are other games that do charge for save slots, and everyone has the same attitude against them as they do with survive.

Im not gonna answer your point if you are bringing school shootings into this. Thats an entirely different thing and my country doesnt have that problem after we banned guns.

IIf you want to start again just start again. Replay missions or delete your character. Or even use anotber profile.

There are many things wrong with this game, that is not one of them.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
No thank you.

for 2 reasons

1.- The Game without Snake is Crap... and itself Survive is Poo

2.- The lack of respect of Konami to their consumers, Panchikos, Fired Kojima, Cancell P.T., Waste Fox Engine in Soccer games, Forgeting Their I.P. Games. Treat their employes like criminals in prision.

Good bye Konami, change the president and will see if i back with you.

Last edited:

Seventy5

No thank you.

for 2 reasons

1.- The Game without Snake is Crap... and itself Survive is Poo

2.- The lack of respect of Konami to their consumers, Panchikos, Fired Kojima, Cancell P.T., Waste Fox Engine in Soccer games, Forgeting Their I.P. Games. Treat their employes like criminals in prision.

Good bye Konami, change the president and will see if i back with you.
You can hate in Konami, but Survive is pretty fun. Even with randos online it was a good time.

GenericUser

I totally forgot about the game. Yesterday I went to a local electronic market and survive was already in the bargain bin. 10 bucks - lol.

Haha, full game trial? How about: no, Konami.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I tried the beta and didn't like it. I didn't like the changes they made for the gameplay and menus could have been better.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i bought this too but haven't touched it in months (still play TPP FOB on the reg tho). played through until the regular end of the game. i guess there are all sorts of endgame bosses but the gameplay got too grindy for me. i enjoyed the story stuff, the way they fused it to the other games with pulpy sci fi about wormholes and giant robots and interdimensional nano-monsters.

it used the TPP engine & assets but it was all-new level design. plus the gameplay was pretty different. i thought zombie bashing was a somewhat cathartic gameplay loop at times. the horror angle was really well done, lots of good planned & emergent jump scares. the use of fog to hide enemies is a cheap tactic but it works. it only serves to heighten the apocalyptic atmosphere. at times it feels like you are on the moon, seeing these things walk by in the distance, their heads glowing red.

the grindy nature kind of makes me not want to start playing this again but i will def check it out at least for the new mission.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
i bought this too but haven't touched it in months (still play TPP FOB on the reg tho). played through until the regular end of the game. i guess there are all sorts of endgame bosses but the gameplay got too grindy for me. i enjoyed the story stuff, the way they fused it to the other games with pulpy sci fi about wormholes and giant robots and interdimensional nano-monsters.

it used the TPP engine & assets but it was all-new level design. plus the gameplay was pretty different. i thought zombie bashing was a somewhat cathartic gameplay loop at times. the horror angle was really well done, lots of good planned & emergent jump scares. the use of fog to hide enemies is a cheap tactic but it works. it only serves to heighten the apocalyptic atmosphere. at times it feels like you are on the moon, seeing these things walk by in the distance, their heads glowing red.

the grindy nature kind of makes me not want to start playing this again but i will def check it out at least for the new mission.
You should know that there’s an FOB tournament happening, with prizes up to $1000. But it’s PS4 only.

Acidizer

Banned
Bought this after platinuming TPP which was GOAT.

Played an hour and deleted it. Feckin awful.

Excellent use of the Fox engine Konami. Hard to believe they could fuck it up... but that they certainly did.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I like this game. I like playing this game. I especially like using a two-handed weapon for melee. It scratches the itch bloodborne left. Not fully, but there are a lot of interesting things you can do to fight off creatures. I’ve never used a spear or a fence. That sounds like a chore. And I always enjoy the gunplay the FOX engine has to offer.

But unlike many others, I knew what I was expecting. I wish there were more optional bosses, more exploration, more co-op maps, and a pvp mode. I write this because, for every 5 people that shit on this game, there’s 1 person who enjoys it and the efforts made by the development team who are always making improvements.

Edit: I’m the first with the platinum, so that should tell you everything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom