• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metallica's "Invisible Kid" and Clan of Xymox's "7th Time"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I always had a weird feeling. Like I heard the riff before, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Well, the mystery has been solved.

I was listening to Clan of Xymox's 1st CD today and "7th Time" came on. Then it hit me. "Invisible Kid"s riff was ripped off the baseline on "7th Time". It's almost exactly the same, I think. I don't have St. Anger anymore, so can anybody who owns both CDs listen and see if I'm right?

aparisi2274

Thats ok, because Collective Soul's new Single is a complete rip of King Nothing from Metallica. Everyone is doing it. :)

NLB2

Banned
Yeah, nothing new. Even Stravinsky did it. Besides, Invisible Kid sucks so much anyway that its more insult than anything else for it to be based off of your song.

Collective Soul is still around? Woah.

What I'm talking about here isn't just a little resemblance, though. I think it's just about exactly the same thing. It's just as bad as the "Fade to Black/Children of the Damned" comparison, if you're familiar with that case of Metallica ripping off Maiden.

But yeah, I suppose it is fairly common. It's always cool to notice though, and share the knowledge. And "7th Time" > "Invisible Kid".

But when you're talking about music as generic as St. Anger you're bound to start unintentionally ripping off music from other bands.

RE4 vs. SH4 said:
What I'm talking about here isn't just a little resemblance, though. I think it's just about exactly the same thing. It's just as bad as the "Fade to Black/Children of the Damned" comparison, if you're familiar with that case of Metallica ripping off Maiden.

Heh, I thought I was the only one that heard that. Everyone that I asked would sorta go, "Oh yeah, I can kind of hear it" only after I pointed it out.

evilromero said:
But when you're talking about music as generic as St. Anger you're bound to start unintentionally ripping off music from other bands.

Exactly. When you're playing Nu-Metal, it's pretty hard not to play something that sounds really close to another Nu-Metal song. I mean really, when you detune down to a Drop C, or whatever you want to call it, and then just play a barre chord with your index finger... There's bound to be some similarities.

yacobod

Banned
creeping death guitar solo is also very similar to maiden's powerslave solo

i guess it isnt suprising though, since metallica used to say maiden was an influence early on

On Dream Theater's Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence theres one riff that's clearly directly from Metallica. Can't remember the name of the song...

yacobod

Banned
hahaha i didnt realize i developed a reputation on GAF as the staunch maiden supporter

ya i've been primarily lurking on the boards as of late, and not posting.

had a lot more free time while in school and unemployed

i actually never heard/noticed the COTD and FTB comparison before.
i just listened to the 2 songs and don't really see what is that similar except for the endings of the songs, and that might be a stretch too

ill have to give it a better listen

Actually, maybe the original poster threw my memory off. I think the riff in COTD sounds closer to The Unforgiven. Well, maybe not the same riff he was talking about, but there's another one in there somewhere...

yacobod

Banned
actually the intro to COTD sort of reminds me of Unforgiven II or another reload metallica song, maybe The Memory Remains, but i think its Unforgiven II, but its been a while since I've listened to those albums, i would have to dig them out to make sure

I'm probably off. I really dislike Metallica, so I haven't listened to their stuff in a while. I think it's Fade to Black, but it may be Unforgiven II (I'm good at remembering songs but sometimes I get them mixed up). Either way, Metallica ripped it off so bad. I even played it for a friend of mine once who hates metal but likes Metallica (and it really annoys me when someone bashes metal then says they love Metallica), and he jumped up and said "no way!" and started asking me when Number of the Beast came out. He wouldn't believe that Maiden's song came before Metallica's song until I showed him the CD case.

"Fade to Black" ... "Unforgiven II" ... whatever. "Children of the Damned" kicks the shit out of it either way, and came out earlier to boot.

Un4

SpoonyBard said:
On Dream Theater's Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence theres one riff that's clearly directly from Metallica. Can't remember the name of the song...
There's some stuff on Train of Thought that's also similar to Metallica. It's no secret that Portnoy is influenced by the early Metallica.

Un4 said:
There's some stuff on Train of Thought that's also similar to Metallica. It's no secret that Portnoy is influenced by the early Metallica.

Duh, I meant to say Train of Thought. I haven't listenend those last DT albums that much, Metropolis pt. 2 remains their best.

fallout

Un4 said:
I think the fact that they've played the entirety of MoP live would be a pretty good example, heh.

Actually, SDOIT was influenced by a number of bands. Yes, Metallica, but also Rage Against the Machine and Megadeth. I remember there was a pic of Mike holding a cardboard box with Megadeth and Rage Against the Machine and a couple of other CDs in it and saying they were listening to them to influence the album. The Megadeth album was Rust In Peace but I can't remember what the RATM album was. The Metallica album was Master of Puppets, if I recall.

The Test That Stumped Them All actually sounds pretty Megadeth-y. But I'll always look at SDOIT with some degree of trepidation, because that's when James started rapping, which, sad to say, continued with TOT. :(

BTW, I&W is DT's best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom