• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta's Value Plunged $700 Billion

GymWolf

giphy.gif

Shubh_C63

I never thought Metaverse would be something he would see immediate returns on. Its a super sci-fi "Summer Wars" looking future in its completion which is...idk 50 years away ?

Cyberpunkd

That is a lot of lost value.
Makes me wonder how Zuck hasn't been voted out of the leadership of Meta.
Because via super shares he controls and will control the majority of voting rights. Which will be really interesting if at some point this will stop being OK with investors, like for example right now…

big brother pop GIF by Big Brother After Dark

Von Hugh

Metaverse solves absolutely nothing, and people are fleeing from Instagram and Facebook. Whatsapp is hard to monetize. So what is there anymore?

Mistake

Their first huge mistake was forcing users to have a Facebook account with occulus. It killed any hype around their VR projects before even getting started

Amiga

I think this MetaVR is double edge sword.

Right now, its bleeding money. But if its hits a success, I can see it recovering that money fast.

VR competitors like Valve and Sony have as good or better R&D in hardware, software and distribution platforms. Sony and Valve also dominate the 1st adopting market that will be gamers. Meta still can't make a game like Alyx.

feynoob

VR competitors like Valve and Sony have as good or better R&D in hardware, software and distribution platforms. Sony and Valve also dominate the 1st adopting market that will be gamers. Meta still can't make a game like Alyx.
You dont need a high quality games.
You just need stupid games like beat saber, boxing excercises, yoga relaxing, sunset watch, and other stupid stuff. Market it to casuals, and you are seeing a gold mine.

All that is left is the way you execute it. Wireless, and cheap entry.
here are some
here are some ways you can even make it attractive.

Last edited:

Porcile

It takes a herculean amount of effort, money and manpower just to churn out a 70+ Metacritic single player game these days. Zuck's shit seems doomed to failure unless AI content generation takes a huge leap forward and can start delivering for proper commercial products. This is certainly a possiblity but by the time it happens Facebook might well be beyond the point of no return.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
US had 2.6% growth last quarter, that’s pretty solid and makes up for the slight contraction of the quarter before…

Meta sucking ass is because Meta sucks ass
It's not just Meta. The entire tech portfolio is down big time.

From MS to Tesla to everything in between, have had massive 100's a billions in market share loss.

Thaedolus

It's not just Meta. The entire tech portfolio is down big time.

From MS to Tesla to everything in between, have had massive 100's a billions in market share loss.
That’s not really a good indicator of the overall economic situation though. The stock market has been juiced for years. There’s no way those companies were worth what they were trading at.

I know everyone is anticipating a recession but it’s not here yet and if it does come, it’s probably not going to be some sort of disaster. We’re still at 3.5% unemployment…I dunno, I graduated right before the Great Recession and remember the bad times and even with inflation, this ain’t the bad times

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That’s not really a good indicator of the overall economic situation though. The stock market has been juiced for years. There’s no way those companies were worth what they were trading at.

I know everyone is anticipating a recession but it’s not here yet and if it does come, it’s probably not going to be some sort of disaster. We’re still at 3.5% unemployment…I dunno, I graduated right before the Great Recession and remember the bad times and even with inflation, this ain’t the bad times
We are in a recession. Only thing that changed is the definition, "ironically."

Thaedolus

We are in a recession. Only thing that changed is the definition, "ironically."
How so? A recession has always been two straight quarters of GDP contraction. We had 2.6% growth this last quarter. How does that qualify as a recession?

I know everyone believes it’s coming, including my bosses, but it’s not here yet.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How so? A recession has always been two straight quarters of GDP contraction. We had 2.6% growth this last quarter. How does that qualify as a recession?

I know everyone believes it’s coming, including my bosses, but it’s not here yet.
We had those two straight quarters already, and they denied the recession then. Inflation is through the roof, markets are contracting, industries are suffering, we have 25 days of diesel reserves left. Buckle up, winter has the potential to be brutal.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never used facebook in my life. It looked old as hell back then and even older compared to other site and services now.
They redesigned the look of it years ago, but somehow its still the same ultra bland looking interface like it's posts and pics in MS Excel without the gridlines and a lot of blue buttons or trim because that's their corporate colours.

I understand they might not want to make the UI too wacky to alienate users, but it's got to be the most bland social media UI on Earth.

Thaedolus

We had those two straight quarters already, and they denied the recession then. Inflation is through the roof, markets are contracting, industries are suffering, we have 25 days of diesel reserves left. Buckle up, winter has the potential to be brutal.
Well everyone's referring to the "looming" or "coming" recession, including the business leaders I work with...certainly there are other concerns on the horizon as well, but a recession refers to GDP growth or contraction. Inflation does not indicate a recession, in fact it's kind of the opposite. Individual markets expand and contract, but the GDP number is an indication of overall performance. Fuel prices remain a problem, but again that's sort of an indication that things are going well if the demand is there. I don't think anyone was celebrating the negative cost of oil during 2020 due to the global economy screeching to a halt. Housing prices are coming down because the cost of money is going up, probably back to where it should be to keep the market from getting overheated.

The economy certainly isn't perfect, and it never is. But the doom and gloom around it seems excessive. We just shut down the global economy and then turned it back on, and the biggest war since WWII is raging in Europe right now. Some bumps like sky high inflation aren't unexpected. But overall, it's sort of remarkable things are moving along as well as they are. Except for the lack of real AAA games coming out this year :messenger_unamused:

seeing news like this makes me feel so warm and happy inside. seriously fuck zuck and facebook, instagram, and whatsapp. fuck the whole lot of it. i want that shit to burn to the fucking ground. their share price hasn't been this low since about 7 years ago :messenger_smiling_hearts: brilliant!

that said, i do think there is a metaverse future coming. as much as i'd hate for it to be the case it could be that Meta are ahead of everyone else and 5-10 years from now they will benefit from it. i hope Zucks gamble fails though and Meta keeps going downhill.

i think next year when Apple release their AR/VR headset it will give us a better idea of where the "metaverse" is going. it seems Meta is waiting on Apple to make their move. If anyone can kickstart the metaverse then it's Apple. I don't think the metaverse (god i am really getting fucking sick of this word now, thanks zuck) is all about a crappy looking VR world where you pick a cartoon character and live in a virtual world. it's going to be so much bigger than that with focus on both virtual and augmented reality. as such, it seems Meta is going all in with VR instead of both AR/VR. I will admit i don't follow Meta so maybe they are working on some kind of AR application.

if the metaverse really does take off it's gonna be a good few years away. can Meta survive that long? i hope to fuck not.

Lasha

But you can already do online lessons with people. It's called a conference call with audio and video with real people.

You could also attend virtual classes from real institutions in second life nearly 20 years ago. Metaverse doesn't add any value to education that conference calls don't already provide.

dem

I still see absolutely no competitor to Facebook..
Once you're a parent... you're on facebook. When I want to buy or sell things.. i go to Facebook. When I want to find out about community events.. I go on facebook.

Despite the losers to like to brag they don't have a facebook account (like.. who cares? What kind of virtue signal is this?).. the users keep going up.

TikTok is not the same thing...
Just like Snap wasn't the same thing.

What they really need to do is kick Zuck out if he keeps insisting on being the face of the company. You're starting in a hole if you're pitch starts with Zuck awkwardly pitching your "cool" vr product. It's like Bill Gates trying to pitch something against Steve Jobs. Just get him the fuck out of there.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well everyone's referring to the "looming" or "coming" recession, including the business leaders I work with...certainly there are other concerns on the horizon as well, but a recession refers to GDP growth or contraction. Inflation does not indicate a recession, in fact it's kind of the opposite. Individual markets expand and contract, but the GDP number is an indication of overall performance. Fuel prices remain a problem, but again that's sort of an indication that things are going well if the demand is there. I don't think anyone was celebrating the negative cost of oil during 2020 due to the global economy screeching to a halt. Housing prices are coming down because the cost of money is going up, probably back to where it should be to keep the market from getting overheated.

The economy certainly isn't perfect, and it never is. But the doom and gloom around it seems excessive. We just shut down the global economy and then turned it back on, and the biggest war since WWII is raging in Europe right now. Some bumps like sky high inflation aren't unexpected. But overall, it's sort of remarkable things are moving along as well as they are. Except for the lack of real AAA games coming out this year :messenger_unamused:
Bro, you just said that two quarters of GDP contraction is a recession. We just had that before the growth quarter and they denied it being a recession. The growth still didn't bounce back from the two negative quarters. Inflation is through the roof. You may be comfortable now, and that's great, but millions are struggling worse than they have been in quite some time. Things aren't getting any cheaper for them, from utilities, to gas to groceries, etc..

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Bro, you just said that two quarters of GDP contraction is a recession. We just had that before the growth quarter and they denied it being a recession. The growth still didn't bounce back from the two negative quarters. Inflation is through the roof. You may be comfortable now, and that's great, but millions are struggling worse than they have been in quite some time. Things aren't getting any cheaper for them, from utilities, to gas to groceries, etc..
I think you're right that Q1-Q2 would be called a recession based on the definition of recession. It would be the shortest and mildest possible, but technically still a recession. But I think you're incorrect about the Q3 numbers not making up for it, and we're still not seeing massive layoffs and skyrocketing unemployment or anything like that.

The things you bring up are non-trivial and important to be sure, but the situation does not appear dire. Again, I graduated when unemployment was touching 10%. That felt dire.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'll just leave this here...

I remember Daymond John on Shark Tank saying something like "the worst mistakes you make is when you have too much money".

So true. Tech companies flooded with money due to investors, IPOs or they are successful with giant profits, if there's one thing tech companies know how to do better than any other kind of industry..... blow their money fast. And most dont even pay dividends which are a quarterly money drain for many non-tech companies.

The worst is the dot.com boom in 1998-2000 when tons of companies got billions of dollars of IPO money and blew it all with zero clue what to do. Right off the bat tech companies are always fighting the raging current of costs when they all seem to have super nice offices, free food and perks, giant salaries. You got giant established corporations that have been around forever which dont even have digs this spiffy and they've been profitable for 80 years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom