• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Exodus - unwanted and premature sad end for a good game

Kupfer

TLDR;

Exodus has a game breaking bug and 4A Games doesn't do anything about it since over a year.

I'm disappointed and don't feel like the developer cares about it's game and fans.

First things first, i absolutely love the Metro series. Got all the games on Playstation4 and the first ones on Steam as well. So i played Metro 2033/Last Light/Redux a lot and multiple times, i became a real fan of the series.

Some days ago i finally found the time to start playing Exodus and what shall i say, it's fantastic. A proper 3rd game of a great Series.

I spent like 20+ hours in the first two chapters just to discover the every little corner of this world filled with details. I was totally immersed by the beautifully crafted postapocalyptic Russia.

Until yesterday. Until i wanted to make the Caspian Sea mission with Damir, in which you have to go through some caves after Damir pushes you up a ledge after he was terriefied by some bats.

In my and many others' case Damir does nothing, he just stands on the upper plateau, doing nothing. You can push him around a bit but he is broken. There are fixes like jumping along the edge he is supposed to help you up and then look in his direction for him to teleport to you like here

but this doens't work for me and it doesn't work for many others.

You can't jump from Damirs position inside the cave, because there is an invisible wall, you can't go back up the slide and exit the area to reset Damir. I managed to climb up from where we started, but at some point I just run against an invisible wall. The game even overwrote my savefile from before the mission. so I'm trapped in the area and can't do anything.

PC users who fixed the bug by noclip through this invisible wall reported, that Damir will be teleported later on in the cave, so they can continue playing the game after this "cheat". But that's not possible on PS4. 4A Games could at least add a ladder and/or remove the invisible wall in the cave, so you can jump in from above. That would skip a cutscene but i could live with that better than with a soft locked game which can't be continued.

I uninstalled the game, restored my PS4s' database, installed the game again, updated it to the newest version, downloaded my save file and tried again. Nope, doesn't help.

The official solution is to restart the chapter. Excuse me, but no. I put like 10 hours into this chapter. I'm only playing games in the evening after work and real life and I don't appreciate losing hours of progress due to a bug which is known for over a year and still not fixed.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to contact the developer directly to communicate. I am frustrated by the fact that i have put a lot of time into a game that cannot be finished.

If somebody has another tip for me, I will thankfully try, but due to my research there aren't any more solutions like the one discribed on PS4.

Otherwise I'm done with the game and can't recommend anyone to play and invest their time just to get trapped in a bugged mission. This really clouded my positive impressions on the game.

Copypasta from reddit, but wanted to share my experience with you, too.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The official solution is to restart the chapter. Excuse me, but no. I put like 10 hours into this chapter. I'm only playing games in the evening after work and real life and I don't appreciate losing hours of progress due to a bug which is known for over a year and still not fixed.
Dude. Full stop.
This is not as bad a of a deal as you make it out to be. If you have already spent 10 hours on the chapter, then I'd venture to guess you know most of the ins and outs and where to go. As someone who has played this game multiple times and in fact my most recent playthrough was last week, it's not that hard to get back to where you were by doing a chapter restart. It doesn't take anywhere near as long to get through the chapter even if you do all the collectibles and sidequests as you think. You could get it done in around 2-3 hours, even if you do the side tasks (freeing slaves) and get all the suit upgrades.

It will not require anywhere remotely close to 10 hours to get back to where you were.

Suck it up and get it done. You will end up spending far more time being upset and searching for a solution than if you did it quickly.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Every time I checked the map in the van, my character suddenly stood up meaning I could barely see anything anymore.

Game is very meh. Glad I didn't spend any money on it.

Kupfer

Dude. Full stop.
Suck it up and get it done. You will end up spending far more time being upset and searching for a solution than if you did it quickly.
I know you are right and i would tell the same to someone else, but right now, I'm too upset and not motivated to get into the game again. This is an issue the developer is aware of and me as a paying costumer should suck it up? That's not the way I feel good with. I'll stop playing for now and if the bug will be fixed (I don't think it will be fixed), I'll continue.
Or maybe I'll start over with the PS5, if Exodus is playable on it.

Every time I checked the map in the van, my character suddenly stood up meaning I could barely see anything anymore.

Game is very meh. Glad I didn't spend any money on it.
Yep, encountered the same bug, but you can simply open and close the map again to have the normal POV.

Geki-D

Banned
Yep, encountered the same bug, but you can simply open and close the map again to have the normal POV.
Actually that didn't work every time. I had to turn to the left to *sometimes* have it go back to normal. Sometimes looking left then opening the map wouldn't have it happen but otherwise eyes forward + map = sitting too high.

How exactly such a blatant bug wasn't patched in all this time really is mind blowing.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I know you are right and i would tell the same to someone else, but right now, I'm too upset and not motivated to get into the game again. This is an issue the developer is aware of and me as a paying costumer should suck it up? That's not the way I feel good with. I'll stop playing for now and if the bug will be fixed (I don't think it will be fixed), I'll continue.
Or maybe I'll start over with the PS5, if Exodus is playable on it.

Just restart it, you will be surprised at how quickly you will be up to speed and you will realize it isn't that bad of a restart.

Top Bottom